Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some random observations from the demo because I'm bored-

Aerial Charge Blade seems kind of iffy. Your aerial discharges an ultra blast whether you want to or not, so it's better to not charge your shield at all for improved attack in axe mode? :crossedarms:

I'm not sure how I feel about most of the Adept weapons. Seems like most of the time I prefer being out of the way in the first place, rather than dodging through attacks, at least if my time with the demo and seeing how many adept evades I got is any indication. Didn't try Lance and it's adept guard, though, that might just be my kettle of fish.

Aerial in general leaves me undecided on when I should be hopping into a monster and when I should just be comboing. Obviously this varies by weapon, but hm.

Gunlance is just too much of a finicky bastard for me to use now. Rip explosive climax :(

I wonder if SnS where you don't pay attention to element or items is still good, with the oils and really good seeming arts. Don't know which style I'd use with it though.

Adept GS seems like it could own with practice but man Aerial GS is balls

Not sure how I feel about swaxe in general this go around, let alone its various styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No unlocks for the training quests right? There's like sixty of em when you account for styles I guess.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rascyc posted:

No unlocks for the training quests right? There's like sixty of em when you account for styles I guess.

No unlocks, just a couple dozen units of honey and other such supplies. Don't bother unless you really need the checkmark.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Everything is gorgeous in this game :swoon:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm out of the country and for some reason the 3DS estore won't accept my credit card despite the wiiu one letting me and the game doesn't come out physically until the 22nd over here and this suuuuuucks

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah where do I pick these up? I 'redeemed ' them but can't actually find out where to get them.

I also can't find them! I did get the starter pack via DLC, but I haven't found the big grip of freebies because I don't have 99 honey.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mortimer posted:

whats the SOP for playing on discord

push to talk seems real bad because of holding a 3ds, but open mic means you can hear other peoples game sounds

What I do for VOIPing while playing monster hunter:
Using a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, connect the 3DS headphone jack to an input jack on a computer. Turn on "listen to this device" and hear both VOIP and the game through a headset connected to the computer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about most of the Adept weapons. Seems like most of the time I prefer being out of the way in the first place, rather than dodging through attacks, at least if my time with the demo and seeing how many adept evades I got is any indication. Didn't try Lance and it's adept guard, though, that might just be my kettle of fish.

Adept is really good for when you want to be up in a monster's face constantly pressuring it. Like for Hammer, you want to stick to the monster's head as much as you can but that's a pretty dangerous place to be. Adept Hammer, therefore, gives you a more forgiving dodge window and also the ability to counterattack in unique ways.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

enojy posted:

I also can't find them! I did get the starter pack via DLC, but I haven't found the big grip of freebies because I don't have 99 honey.

talk to the cat in your house, there's a redeem thing for the mh4u stuff and then go into the dlc section to get the starter pack stuff

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I just realized that if a run a para SnS I can both paralyze and ko monsters (with the exhaust coating). Doing that with a para CB in 4U was amazing in multiplayer hunts. Made fights with randoms so much shorter. Think I'll give SnS a go this time for sure. Striker Style of course.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

time to wait while this game downloads :smith:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BMan posted:

What I do for VOIPing while playing monster hunter:
Using a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, connect the 3DS headphone jack to an input jack on a computer. Turn on "listen to this device" and hear both VOIP and the game through a headset connected to the computer.

huh

I think I'll use my earbuds in my 3ds and put my headphones from my computer over the earbuds

it might work but it'll be real weird!

What's the best HBG style? Aerial seems crap without a set, the one with weapon arts also seems bad, do I care about the adept roll? I guess if it's "a second weapon art" or "a dodge" I'd have to pick a dodge :sigh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mortimer posted:

huh

I think I'll use my earbuds in my 3ds and put my headphones from my computer over the earbuds

it might work but it'll be real weird!

What's the best HBG style? Aerial seems crap without a set, the one with weapon arts also seems bad, do I care about the adept roll? I guess if it's "a second weapon art" or "a dodge" I'd have to pick a dodge :sigh:

Do earbud in one ear, headset over the other ear, maybe?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh, also, with Adept HBG, you have a bunch of options when you come out of the roll. If you press X immediately, you'll go into a super-fast, long distance sprint. If you wait a second, you'll do a fast reload and get the blue glowy bonus. If you tap X after the fast reload, you'll immediately go into siege mode.

You can also roll out of siege mode in Adept.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Wait, so the tutorial section DOES have a checkmark?? :ohdear:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Do earbud in one ear, headset over the other ear, maybe?

earbuds in both ears, headset over both ears :shobon: I think it'll work

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh, also, with Adept HBG, you have a bunch of options when you come out of the roll. If you press X immediately, you'll go into a super-fast, long distance sprint. If you wait a second, you'll do a fast reload and get the blue glowy bonus. If you tap X after the fast reload, you'll immediately go into siege mode.

You can also roll out of siege mode in Adept.

I forgot about the roll out of siege mode, welp.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
My copy from amazon finally came in :woop:. Now to struggle through this game with a half broken A button. Whenever I press the A button on my 3DS its a roulette between getting a normal input, no input or a double A input. Oddly enough, after trying to demo for a few hours the only weapon that seemed to give me a noticeable amount of trouble was my old main of lance. The upward thrust combo sometimes breaking if I'm not mashing that button or not being able to time the counter attack properly was pretty bad. Though a lot of that can be mitigated by picking adept and using that counter instead.

I remember reading that you can painlessly get all of the ammo or coatings you need for ranged weapons now with guild points. Sounds like a good time to branch out to new weapons. Bow with the adept style seems really fun this time. And all of the hunter arts make weapons like sword & shield or switch axe look great too.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If your noise gate is set to anything reasonable your game sound shouldn't come through unless you're talking at the same time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

If your noise gate is set to anything reasonable your game sound shouldn't come through unless you're talking at the same time.

I can't hear the game sound through my bomb rear end headphones unless its turned way up

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

earbuds in both ears, headset over both ears :shobon: I think it'll work

This is what I've done in the past and it works just fine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh you nerds and your downloading games. I just bought the physical copy.

Now to find my SD card that has the MH4u save on it. Also, how different is this from 4U?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

widespread posted:

Oh you nerds and your downloading games. I just bought the physical copy.

Now to find my SD card that has the MH4u save on it. Also, how different is this from 4U?

Same engine, I think. They added 4 different "styles" that apply to every weapon to remix their moves and apply specific abilities, like on-demand jumping or sick-rear end counterattacks. They also added "hunter arts" which are like your super moves that you have to fill a meter for, and are usually anime as hell.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Same engine, I think. They added 4 different "styles" that apply to every weapon to remix their moves and apply specific abilities, like on-demand jumping or sick-rear end counterattacks. They also added "hunter arts" which are like your super moves that you have to fill a meter for, and are usually anime as hell.

So basically a remake/expansion pack for 4U, but in a different locale?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

widespread posted:

So basically a remake/expansion pack for 4U, but in a different locale?

It's like a kinda rainbow edition? They brought back some older monsters like Plesioth and Duramboros, and added 4 new flagship monsters and Maccao, which is like a karate Jaggi.

EDIT: Also, you can play as a cat.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 15, 2016

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Hammer question! While a monster is dizzy, do further clonks on the head add stun damage toward the next stun, or does that only tally while the monster isn't dizzy?

Of course I should be bonking their noggins every chance I get anyway, but I am curious.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I have an icon on my lower screen for the main village, a speech bubble with ... in it, which I assume means there is someone there to talk to - but I cannot find who it is and it's driving me crazy

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I have an icon on my lower screen for the main village, a speech bubble with ... in it, which I assume means there is someone there to talk to - but I cannot find who it is and it's driving me crazy

If it's Bherna, it's probably referring to the cat lady. She's on a separate screen from the rest of the town.

I'm still at work so I can't give you any more than that, sorry. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Wait, so the tutorial section DOES have a checkmark?? :ohdear:

Yes, and there are so many of them :smithicide:

e: by the way, can someone give me a step by step guide on unlocking the MH4U bonus stuff? I accidentally skipped over some dialogue and have no idea what the NPC told me I had to do.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
What kind of poo poo should I look for in a palico?

There is a fighting palico I can hire with handicraft, nine lives attack, attack up small, earplugs, boomerang pro and counter boost. It also has sumo stomp, anti monster mine+ and exvavator.

It seems like a really strong choice for a base fighter palico, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Your Computer posted:

Yes, and there are so many of them :smithicide:

e: by the way, can someone give me a step by step guide on unlocking the MH4U bonus stuff? I accidentally skipped over some dialogue and have no idea what the NPC told me I had to do.

For those of us that aren't completionists, do we HAVE to do them? :smith:

Like is there anything to be gained from getting all the checks?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sprite141 posted:

What kind of poo poo should I look for in a palico?

There is a fighting palico I can hire with handicraft, nine lives attack, attack up small, earplugs, boomerang pro and counter boost. It also has sumo stomp, anti monster mine+ and exvavator.

It seems like a really strong choice for a base fighter palico, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

Depends what you're looking to do, really. People have pretty much cracked the "optimal" build for a DPS player-palico. So it's pretty much that, cat-fashion hunting, or fun support abilities.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

Like is there anything to be gained from getting all the checks?

AFAIK only some honey and potions and stuff, so no.. No sane person would do all of them. :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

It's like a kinda rainbow edition? They brought back some older monsters like Plesioth and Duramboros, and added 4 new flagship monsters and Maccao, which is like a karate Jaggi.

They also added a wizard owl and something that, after carefully looking at a couple screenshots, I think is a two headed skeleton dragon? Not a big new lineup but there are a bunch of returning stuff including some big fan favorites from third gen.

I'm really glad Royal Ludroth is back, he wasn't ever tough but he was the first fight that felt like a "real" monster to me when I started playing in Tri. It's good to see Nargacuga because people always rave about him but I never made it that far. Barroth and Peco are the only guys I still miss from Third gen.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

gently caress them for bringing back Plesioth but GOD drat I WANT THE CAT

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't think I tried Striker style for any weapons in the demo because it sounded like all the weapons just got simplified in trade for the extra hunter art

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

SnS is basically Free Striker Mode because all it loses is the strange backhop charge attack. Also it has really amazing arts.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think I tried Striker style for any weapons in the demo because it sounded like all the weapons just got simplified in trade for the extra hunter art
It varies. SnS loses the back hop. Lancers lose the new "strong" thrust on their combos and instead it's the usual thrust that was in every game before so that's actually a gain for everyone who is used to the old style. CB loses shield thrust but gains a guard point on their run in attacks.

There's a bunch of cases like that and then you have poo poo like DB where you lose archdemon mode (like the old school DBs) but gain the ability to evade out of devil's dance a little earlier.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So what's the bonus for a MH4U save? I need to know if it's worth hunting down my old SD card.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I should at least try SnS Striker then because I wasn't all that impressed with Aerial or Adept on it, really

I want to at least try Adept Lance before I pooh pooh the new third hit, perfect parrying sounds totally like my jam from all the DMC-like games I've played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

widespread posted:

So what's the bonus for a MH4U save? I need to know if it's worth hunting down my old SD card.

Caligold Palico (A cat)

Sunsnug Palico (A cat)

Potion x 20

Mega Potion x 10

Honey x 30

Lifepowder x 10

Voucher x 10

Baby Journal x 12 (Used to craft the baby tigrex palico armor)

Lagniapple x 10

5000 Zenny

5000 Wycademy Points (Caravan Points equivalent)

Titles: Sunsnug, Felyne, Furriend, Palico

Background: Meowster Baby

• Locked thread