Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I liked how at the beginning Elliot is withholding sections of time from the viewers because he doesn't trust us anymore, and he's clearly feeling powerful and in control, and then that reinforces how much of a blow it is to him when he finds out he's having sections of time kept from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I thought the premiere was paced a bit slow too, but I would chalk that up to the extended episode length than any change in the show's writing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get most of the criticisms but I think a lot of them stem from the fact that it's the premiere and the show is catching us up with everyone etc. But the idea that they "already covered" Elliot's mental demons makes me think some people want this to be a different show than it is. Elliot's mental demons have been and always will be the primary focus of the show.

I personally would describe this episode as 'confidently refined'. I'm really happy that they're choosing to not jump straight back into hacking stuff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

I recognized her immediately from The Newsroom and then hated myself for it.

Yea her newsroom performance was awful. Hopefully she's better in this show.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think this all but confirms the institution theory.

https://0x41.no/mr-robot-s02e01-easter-egg/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The institution theory could be true, by why would he still be seeing his old therapist instead of one at the institution?

I think constantly trying to have a "big twist" isn't something this show should be about, I really don't want it to become hacker :lost:.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The institution theory could be true, by why would he still be seeing his old therapist instead of one at the institution?

I think constantly trying to have a "big twist" isn't something this show should be about, I really don't want it to become hacker :lost:.

He has an established relationship with an existing psychologist. Common sense makes me think its reasonable for him to continue seeing her. That said, I have zero personal experience in how these things work. Even if I did though, TV! Plus the psychologist and her role in the story is established to us, the audience, so replacing her with a different character we don't know who serves the same purpose seems wasteful.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

WampaLord posted:

He is probably drugged off his mind which gently caress up his perception and the only side of his psyche realizing where they are is Robot (which is why he is so insisting on escaping). For all we know when he sees "his mother" face it's actually a nurse.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Benson Cunningham posted:

He has an established relationship with an existing psychologist. Common sense makes me think its reasonable for him to continue seeing her. That said, I have zero personal experience in how these things work. Even if I did though, TV! Plus the psychologist and her role in the story is established to us, the audience, so replacing her with a different character we don't know who serves the same purpose seems wasteful.

Actually it's a really dumb idea.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I find this totally believable. People seek out the comfort of their normal routine when poo poo goes bad. Money hasn't lost it's value, one major company got hacked. Even after 9/11, people went to work and everything the next day.

Society is not disrupted so easily.

Fair points about the hack being underwhelming, I suppose its correct that this was the whole point, and why f society feels like they haven't accomplished much and need to do more.

Escobarbarian posted:

I get most of the criticisms but I think a lot of them stem from the fact that it's the premiere and the show is catching us up with everyone etc. But the idea that they "already covered" Elliot's mental demons makes me think some people want this to be a different show than it is. Elliot's mental demons have been and always will be the primary focus of the show.

I guess I didn't articulate myself that clearly. I actually do like the exploration of Elliot's mental demons, just certain aspects of it this episode felt repetitive. The weird tone in the diner, basketball games, journal writing etc. was awesome. What I didn't dig as much was the interplay between Elliott and Mr. Robot. I felt that we already got that he is fighting with his imaginary friend in the last couple episodes of the first season. I didn't need 2 hours to catch up on it, their dynamic is essentially the same as the last season. Shooting himself in the head and switching personalities during sleep was hardly interesting considering it's lifted directly from Fight Club, which is getting old whether the show admits its influence or not.

Jeep posted:

I too, am here to make sweeping criticisms about this season after the season premier. :downs:

What is the point of complaining about criticism in a discussion thread? I'm a big fan of the show and stated as such in my earlier post, I just wanted to remark a bit on how the current season's plot is affecting me so far to see if others agree. I guess we can all just post "Mr. Robot is awesome" and repeat the same theory that everything and/or Tyrell is in Elliot's head if you prefer.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't think goons have necessarily addressed the fundamental issue of what the premier hints at -- this season will be fundamentally different from the first season.

If you don't like the pacing of the premier episode, chances are you're not going to like the new episodes. It feels to me like the season will be purposefully constructed to maintain a slower pace because unlike the first season, the show isn't building up to a major goal, a major event. This season feels like it's about dealing with fallout, dealing with ramifications of people's actions. Elliot's struggle with Mr. Robot, a broken FSociety, a society dealing with the economic fallout.

The first season's pacing was fast because it was a race to see what the end result was; we got development and understanding of the plot/characters as we went along with it. Now that we examine the aftermath, we take it slower because we get the story/character progression in the details of said aftermath.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought there was a little too much in the way of random people speechifying about their perspective on money or the way the world works, but it wasn't that bad. I figured some amount of it is to re-introduce characters and motivations and such. I have a slightly skewed perspective in that I watched the first season maybe 2 weeks ago so everything is still fresh but it makes sense to have reminders for people that watched it a year ago or new viewers.

tirion
Sep 25, 2004
I think the mental hospital idea is pretty likely, given the Phil Collins song, Elliot mentioning watching closely for tidbits, plus the tile floor in the "dining room" that Gideon and Elliot met in that the apple peel was laying on. It looks more like the floor from an institution than one in a home.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

eightpole posted:

Actually it's a really dumb idea.

Your point of view is really well reasoned and insightful. I'm glad that we could debate the merits of the situation intelligently and come to a consensus.

Edit: Actually, looking at your post history in this thread, this is about the best I could have hoped for from you.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well of course there are going to be more scenes of Elliot struggling with Mr Robot

just because a problem has been covered before, doesnt mean its gonna go away

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah I mean what, people actually expected him to have Mr. Robot under control after how last year ended?

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Christian Slater is so good playing the devil on the shoulder.

Who else has been listening to that Phil Collins a lot since the episode aired?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Air is lava! posted:

Wow, I have one lovely opinion based on personal taste. That was just rude and uncalled for.
The season didn't grab me so far at all. And if it actually is just my problem, I guess I have to drop it.

Haha nah stick around and say whatever you want, I just thought it was funny that you were saying that after only the premiere episode and that maybe it was a reference or something.

WampaLord posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the institution thing is the "big reveal" they wear on their sleeve the entire time, like they did in the first season when we were all supposed to feel smart for figuring out it was a fight club homage. Only to realize later that was the 'obvious' thing that was distracting you from the real poo poo.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 15, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Screenshots that hint at something with his therapist: http://imgur.com/a/ga7WR

furthering:

Agreed.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Your point of view is really well reasoned and insightful. I'm glad that we could debate the merits of the situation intelligently and come to a consensus.

Edit: Actually, looking at your post history in this thread, this is about the best I could have hoped for from you.

gently caress...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The institution theory is lame and dumb so I hope is not true

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

geeves posted:

furthering:

Agreed.

That screenshot is awesome. Whoever figured that out is awesome.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ratings haven't been great:

http://deadline.com/2016/07/mr-robot-ratings-hit-low-season-2-debut-emmys-rami-malek-usa-network-1201786811/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

The institution theory is lame and dumb so I hope is not true

We were saying the same thing about the dad being all in his head last year. Boy how dumb that twist would be, just like from that movie!

But they made it good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I ended up reading some of the thread before watching the episode and knew the theory going in.

It seems extremely obvious if you're looking for it. But then that's the kind of paranoia the show is really good at cultivating! Elliot even says "When you look closely at the seams between order and chaos, do you see the same things I see?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder if part of this is due to the episode being put online before the actual premiere.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I would say yes but it was only part one of the premier that was online early.

Do those numbers take digital distribution into account? Because I just waited until the next day to watch it on Amazon.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
By the way, is there any way to legally watch this show if you dont live in the USA or Europe? Hulu dont service us third-worlders, and neither does Amazon Prime, I think.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

I wonder if part of this is due to the episode being put online before the actual premiere.

I was going to say the opposite - that they put the promo episode up a day before it aired while the series premiere went up a month early. I think it built more hype the first time around, this time it just sort of appeared.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

We were saying the same thing about the dad being all in his head last year. Boy how dumb that twist would be, just like from that movie!

But they made it good.

I honestly groaned at the reveal of season 1 at first watch. But on rewatch and with the new season it really made up for it in the way that they are potentially going treat mental illness seriously and not as a gimmick (a la Fight Club).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know if I was just conscious of it because I know Jst0rm posts here or what, but I'm really noticing the sound mix so far this season. I was impressed by the scenes taking place in bars and public places, where the people on camera really don't seem like they're the only ones having conversations. I can distinctly hear snippets of other people talking over them and have to strain slightly to hear what the actors are saying, just like you really would in a public place.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if I was just conscious of it because I know Jst0rm posts here or what, but I'm really noticing the sound mix so far this season. I was impressed by the scenes taking place in bars and public places, where the people on camera really don't seem like they're the only ones having conversations. I can distinctly hear snippets of other people talking over them and have to strain slightly to hear what the actors are saying, just like you really would in a public place.

It is really good. I have a small surround setup and the Gideon bar scene felt like being right there next to them with people talking right behind me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Max posted:

I would say yes but it was only part one of the premier that was online early.

Do those numbers take digital distribution into account? Because I just waited until the next day to watch it on Amazon.

I think part of it is also that it aired at the same time as the ESPY Awards.

Those numbers are disappointing, but I'm not too worried. This is show is a special case for USA and I'm sure they're factoring acclaim and digital/DVR numbers harder than they would for other shows.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

geeves posted:

furthering:

Agreed.

The outlets on the wall are in different places also.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

empty baggie posted:

The outlets on the wall are in different places also.

Whole room seems slightly different. Bookshelves placement, sizes, etc. but those might be unintentional. The lamp is the biggest change in the room.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
People saying this season isn't for them after one episode is pure distilled TVIV.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Elias_Maluco posted:

By the way, is there any way to legally watch this show if you dont live in the USA or Europe? Hulu dont service us third-worlders, and neither does Amazon Prime, I think.

I got mine through Google Play but I'm in the US. Any luck there?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jeep posted:

I too, am here to make sweeping criticisms about this season after the season premier. :downs:
I made sweeping "this show is loving amazing" criticisms when the pilot aired.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well gently caress me, watching the premier again and I'm convinced on the institution theory. The sound made before Elliot walked into the room with Gideon, how his mom reacted when Elliot stood up, and the trays in the diner all put me firmly in the institution camp.

e: and E-Corp handled all the debt disappearing exactly how they would in real life, they have a record of the original loan or debt and you can't prove you paid, so you still owe, fucker.

Grem fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

But they made it good.

I don't think it was supposed to be a plot twist at all. It was confirmed in one of the the very first episodes, when Elliot jumped off that pier and there were witnesses around him saying that he jumped and wasn't pushed by Mr. Robot. The only real plot twist was the sister reveal and almost no one saw that one coming. It was really well done.

Similarly, I don't think the asylum theory is supposed to be plot twist, it's pretty obvious to everyone that he isn't at his mother's house. We don't know the details yet, but he is definitely in some type of institution.

IMO it's all done intentionally to create a paranoid atmosphere and make the viewer doubt reality and the characters, just like Elliot does all the time.

• Locked thread