Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FlyinPingu posted:

ghostbusters hate thread OP on the prices of the new ghostbusters action figures

How do you get angry about the prices of toys you don't want based on a film you don't like? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Much like the sludge that collects at the bottom of sewers, GBS occasionally has bits of gold in it. I salute the brave souls who are willing to wade through the excrement, scum, and filth to collect those precious nuggets for us.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiggum posted:

How do you get angry about the prices of toys you don't want based on a film you don't like? :stare:

something something ethics something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not just GBS that went downhill. You used to get banned/probated for spamming catch phrases or memes or stuff like "lol git gud." Now it's the pinnacle of forum comedy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not just GBS that went downhill. You used to get banned/probated for spamming catch phrases or memes or stuff like "lol git gud." Now it's the pinnacle of forum comedy.
You could also get probated for not punctuating a sentence or forgetting to capitalize something. Let's not pretend all the rules were good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's only one solution....BRING BACK SADCHUB!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could also get probated for not punctuating a sentence or forgetting to capitalize something. Let's not pretend all the rules were good.

But that rule sounds good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Lone Badger posted:

what no that sounds terrible

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

for years SA was so desperate to look 'better' than the rest of the internet by making sure its userbase had to conform to AP style guides when posting about making GBS threads their pants or whatever and now SA is on life support, left behind by the rest of the internet

ironic no?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Lone Badger posted:

Certain posts require a proper tone through correct grammar, though sometimes a post just needs to let its hair down and party!! woo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trig Discipline posted:

i hate it when my genderfluid leaks and dries out into that weird cis scum that's so hard to clean up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

If we just use this page as a sample that's a great rule we should have back.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Aphrodite posted:

If we just use this page as a sample that's a great rule we should have back.

I don't like this post

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In old GBS, jokes were illegal. In new GBS, the jokes are bad. Such is samsara

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Travis343 posted:

for years SA was so desperate to look 'better' than the rest of the internet by making sure its userbase had to conform to AP style guides when posting about making GBS threads their pants or whatever and now SA is on life support, left behind by the rest of the internet

ironic no?

So far as I'm concerned SA is the Straight Dope Message Boards except you're allowed to call assholes assholes in the debate forum. This is a Good Thing and should be prized.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

ironic no?

And now we got rid of all that nonsense and the site is more active and beloved than ever before!

-a tumbleweed with "cuck" painted on the side rolls past in silence-

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have been around in some form since 2004 and I cannot recall a single time when those rules were stringently enforced as anything other than a means to get rid of shitposters and/or people the mods really didn't like.

Bear in mind these rules were also around during a time when SA's population was much greater and GBS in particular was heavy on Newsfeed-style content as link aggregators were nascent at best (i.e: reddit, tumblr, Facebook weren't really things), so there was a fairly strong divide between "comedy" threads and threads about anything else.

PBS Newshour posted:

Certain posts require a proper tone through correct grammar, though sometimes a post just needs to let its hair down and party!! woo

There's truth here. A lot of the funniest quotes I've seen from SA would not be the same without deliberately awful grammar.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Jul 15, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

mind the walrus posted:

There's truth here. A lot of the funniest quotes I've seen from SA would not be the same without deliberately awful grammar.
Full disclosure; Due to the influence of these forums, nowadays I instinctively use less punctuation the less serious my message is. And I mean everywhere, not just on SA.

Something Awful is affecting our linguistic development please glass the planet tia

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
old gbs sucked

the current gbs is good

e: and the main reason for that is because most of the bad posters left gbs and emigrated to dd and pyf

Hogge Wild has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Jul 15, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mind the walrus posted:

I have been around in some form since 2004 and I cannot recall a single time when those rules were stringently enforced as anything other than a means to get rid of shitposters and/or people the mods really didn't like.

Bear in mind these rules were also around during a time when SA's population was much greater and GBS in particular was heavy on Newsfeed-style content as link aggregators were nascent at best (i.e: reddit, tumblr, Facebook weren't really things), so there was a fairly strong divide between "comedy" threads and threads about anything else.

Accurate. Although I do miss hellbanning. That poo poo was hilarious.

Nordick posted:

Full disclosure; Due to the influence of these forums, nowadays I instinctively use less punctuation the less serious my message is. And I mean everywhere, not just on SA.

Something Awful is affecting our linguistic development please glass the planet tia

samesies:hfive:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
GBS was never great

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Accurate. Although I do miss hellbanning. That poo poo was hilarious.

samesies:hfive:

Hellbanning the entire forum would be a fantastic April fools prank if lowtax did that sort of thing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

GBS answers the age old question of "what if FYAD was really bad and never funny?"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Funny quote:

blarzgh posted:

My cousin dated a girl that would sleepwalk when she got super drunk, and one time she got up to get water, did the Ace Ventura

head on the edge of the bed, and then pissed all over the floor.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

GBS was never great

I thought GBS was great when I first joined and it was just 50 mspaint threads, and that "horrors" by Ben biddick thread.

At some point it turned into ironic garbage threads and at this point might as well be quarantined off.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Wedemeyer posted:

Funny quote:

We call it "dropping an ace".

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

FlyinPingu posted:

GBS answers the age old question of "what if FYAD was really bad and never funny?"

In a twist of irony, the question was already answered by FYAD.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*in extremely PYF voice*
here's my tier list of unfunny subforums

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Trig Discipline posted:

We call it "dropping an ace".

Ace Ventura: Piss Detective

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
At 5000 years old, D&D proud to be called old D&D and is older than old GBS!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

same

Primetime posted:

I thought GBS was great when I first joined and it was just 50 mspaint threads, and that "horrors" by Ben biddick thread.

At some point it turned into ironic garbage threads and at this point might as well be quarantined off.

china.jpg, sochi olympics et al were pretty deece, but that's perhaps the :regd05: speaking

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nordick posted:

Woah, let me take this thing you said and get real offended because you must be serious and nukes are bad and killing is bad and I hope you die.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I will not forget GBS 2.0 for all the great photoshop threads we did together:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697271
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678761
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586028

*sheds tear*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Coup underway in Turkey, Brown Moses happens to be on vacation there

Brown Moses posted:

I'm literally in Turkey at the moment, this is a weird moment for me.

Laphroaig posted:

Get to an embassy immediately.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This didn't work last time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Primetime posted:

I dug up the Biddick thread for a re-read a while back and it still rules.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3149605

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thank you for your service.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Thank you for your service.
Same to you. You were in the front seat of that rollercoaster.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Here's the thing about GBS, it doesn't wait for you to understand. It doesn't think you're special and it will wreck your poo poo if you come in thinking you are. GBS is where you go to kill your little case of Dunning-Kruger

Chances are if you get run out, it's because you're either trying to show everyone how smart, funny and/or original you are when you just simply aren't any of the above.

-sees that somebody else in another forum has said a mean thing about GBS- Oh what the gently caress

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StashAugustine posted:

Coup underway in Turkey, Brown Moses happens to be on vacation there

Can someone check if the Wikipedia page for those embassies have the right addresses?
His life may depend on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Ace Ventura: Piss Detective

Ace Venturine