Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Awesome,the LP has officially started! I just hope my email got through. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yessss :woop:

Also, is that Brandon Keener I hear in that opening cutscene?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
About Bradford's gun, is it a legit thing to have two scopes on the top of a gun? Or is it a scope > laser sight kind of thing because that looks impossible to use or not worth it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Oh cool, I haven't beat the first game yet, so the retcon works for me. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

WOW, thanks for telling me I wasn't crazy, Guava. I always thought I could put extraction points on soldiers but then when I've been playing recently I couldn't do that. That's loving lame, I need a mod to fix that, no reason for that to have been 'patched.'

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

bringing a sword to a gun fight is so dumb, i love it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Lunethex posted:

About Bradford's gun, is it a legit thing to have two scopes on the top of a gun? Or is it a scope > laser sight kind of thing because that looks impossible to use or not worth it.

It's a legit thing. The first sight in this case tends to be a simple holographic sight or red dot sight while the in front is usually the one with 2x or 4x magnification and can be flipped to the side if need be.

Also I was hoping to see the squaddie names right before it ended. :arghfist::(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Lunethex posted:

WOW, thanks for telling me I wasn't crazy, Guava. I always thought I could put extraction points on soldiers but then when I've been playing recently I couldn't do that. That's loving lame, I need a mod to fix that, no reason for that to have been 'patched.'

I can't be mad though, you can do some really cheesy things by dropping an evac zone directly on a soldier. You can still drop one beside soldiers, so in the right circumstances it's still pretty OP.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

AriadneThread posted:

bringing a sword to a gun fight is so dumb, i love it

Someone obviously hasn't played enough Metal Gear Rising. :colbert:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Yeah here we go!

I got my duder submitted and everything.

I'm 2/2 on mans I submitted being pretty good in LPs JadeStar is involved with, with Meatslab and Suicide Tank, you know i'm good for it fam

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bloody Pom posted:

Yessss :woop:

Also, is that Brandon Keener I hear in that opening cutscene?

Apparently. He's the 'Advent Speaker' which I assume is the Thin Man on the TV.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Bradford's gun is definitely something, as we'll soon see. It's pretty cool to see all the story set up after beating the game so many times. The Tutorial is alright, especially compared to the first game's one. It's also good you're playing Commander, cause it means you can actually use Sword Rangers and they're not mediocre unlike Legendary. Actually, I'm trying to remember if my Sword Rangers were mediocre even on Commander.

Also, once this tutorial stuff is over and done with, are we going to see the actual Gatecrasher mission and just ditch this campaign? Cause right now, you're sitting at two losses, a lack of corpses and supplies and you couldn't even go down to Engineering! To be frank, Commander, you lost the war before you even started.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rick_Hunter posted:

What are you talking about? That guy is totally human. He even wears sunglasses at night like humans do.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 16, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crosspeice posted:

Bradford's gun is definitely something, as we'll soon see. It's pretty cool to see all the story set up after beating the game so many times. The Tutorial is alright, especially compared to the first game's one. It's also good you're playing Commander, cause it means you can actually use Sword Rangers and they're not mediocre unlike Legendary. Actually, I'm trying to remember if my Sword Rangers were mediocre even on Commander.

Also, once this tutorial stuff is over and done with, are we going to see the actual Gatecrasher mission and just ditch this campaign? Cause right now, you're sitting at two losses, a lack of corpses and supplies and you couldn't even go down to Engineering! To be frank, Commander, you lost the war before you even started.

Hey now, there are fresh rookie corpses out there.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, that's the one. He sounded 100% Garrus when saying 'Elders'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One thing that irks me about the opening cutscene is that they apparently remove an implant in the base of your skull through your nose, according to the camera work.

Also is the idea supposed to be that everything after the base defense was (minor spoilers until the next Tygan cutscene)the simulation?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Bruceski posted:

What are you talkit? That guy is totally human. He even wears sunglasses at night like humans do.

That's just F.A.N.G. from SF5; after Bison "died",he stopped soaking his hands in...whatever the gently caress that toxic poo poo is?Grape Jelly? And joined ADVENT. First thing they did was give him gene therapy, finally allowing his balls to drop. That's my headcanon,anyway.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Good to see the mission names are off to a great start :allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kurieg posted:

One thing that irks me about the opening cutscene is that they apparently remove an implant in the base of your skull through your nose, according to the camera work.

Also is the idea supposed to be that everything after the base defense was (minor spoilers until the next Tygan cutscene)the simulation?

pretty sure that the whole first game is black bars now.

Also unconciousness is a giant pain. I can stop people bleeding to death, but can't wake people up?!

Also, I love how no-one is in remotely medical gear while surgerying.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 16, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Also unconciousness is a giant pain. I can stop people bleeding to death, but can't wake people up?!

You need the Revival Protocol for that. Don't know if I need to spoil that,but just in case.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like we know who're going to be the first squaddies! Unless they die.

hey Jade you misspelt 'original art'

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The tutorial mission was GREAT for the story, especially compared to XCOM's original "Fight the Sectoids" one. I wish they extended the story missions out a bit more though to include capturing the Avenger so we could feel like it was something we achieved not a given, but I understand the constraints the game already had with pacing the more involved story VS the classic X-Com free play.

Art discussion. Re: the statue. I liked how in one of the pre-release dev interviews someone stated that they liked the idea that the Sectoid-Dude statue could be interpreted in two ways. The first is what you discussed, with the propaganda being "Here is the Sectoid/Alien Representation, see how he helps humanity." But the other is if you consider that the Sectoid is letting go of the human's hand, and moving away; thus representing using humanity and leaving him behind.

One thing you missed JadeStar was concealment gives you a bonus hit/crit for your first attack coming out of it IIRC. I can't remember if this is because the first attack always counts as a flank or if it's a regardless thing but yeah its there somehow. Also worth noting that while those loot drops have a 3 turn timer, if you finish the mission while they are still on the ground you get the loot even if you don't send someone to pick it up; nice little quality of life design decision.

Re mod chat: I found the True Concealment mod to be a bit touch and go personally. It did make the game feel more like stealth mattered, and your terrorist actions were more then coming in guns blazing with a army of power armored dudes late game; but the base classes are really iffy on how good stealth is and many times you end up having to pop stealth early so you can get rid of that double Arachon+Shielder pod before you accidentally uncover anything else. I haven't tried it with my Long War Perk Pack (which changes up the classes and adds 2 more) but considering there is an actual dedicated stealth/scout class in it I can see True Concealment potentially gaining more value there.

Edit: There is really fun mod called Grimy's Loot Mod that adds locked chests to the ADVENT/Alien loot tables; they cost X days research to unlock but come with a modded weapon/armour/gadget inside. Could be a bit overpowered for the base game but it makes it feel like you're salvaging actual usable weapons rather then random attachments. Highly recommended for anyone's 2nd/mod game. Grimy created a bunch of other mods that combo with it including adding in additional custom classes but I haven't tried them as I am using the Long War Perk Pack which doesn't play nice with other custom class mods.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 16, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's no rest for the Commander, looking forward to the end of the tutorial.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeaaaah my boy Cain is in the first mission and it's Operation Nigel Cummings' Fart

I expect my death to be swift and glorious

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I will also accept "shot by a panicked comrade before he can even open fire" because let's face it, :xcom:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
One more, in celebration.

Commander Jade Star.
Let's Play XCOM-in' it up.
This gon' be wicked.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been twenty long years
It's welcome back Commander
You'll need some coffee

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I got to hand it to Bradford. Gets nearly killed, is up and running within hours without needing to spend nearly two weeks in the medical bay recovering.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

AradoBalanga posted:

I got to hand it to Bradford. Gets nearly killed, is up and running within hours without needing to spend nearly two weeks in the medical bay recovering.

Bradford only takes legit damage at CLOSE RANGE.

He can shake off anything else.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hey Jade Star, since you said in an earlier post to hold off submissions until the first video was posted I just sent my submission email. Thanks for LPing this game. I bought it when it came out and had a blast playing it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crosspeice posted:

It's also good you're playing Commander, cause it means you can actually use Sword Rangers and they're not mediocre unlike Legendary. Actually, I'm trying to remember if my Sword Rangers were mediocre even on Commander.

Sword Rangers got some small assorted buffs in the latest patch that came with the second DLC. I believe it was a critical hit and accuracy buff? I haven't had a chance to actually play the game since the patch hit.

AradoBalanga posted:

In 20 years, Bradford turned from a babyface sweaterman into a man made entirely of leather and jerky.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Been twenty long years
You'll need some coffee

Been twenty long years
Hour-long pee break

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the emphasis on 'commander' gives me some serious 'follow freeman' vibes

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AriadneThread posted:

I think it's because the commander is supposed to be you and they don't want to so much as say the commander/player is a man or woman.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AriadneThread posted:

I know the Commander, because he's my pal. Don't think you know something about the Commander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That video gets posted for all sorts of reasons and it's never not funny or worth watching through again :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

What are you talking about? That guy is totally human. He even wears sunglasses at night like humans do.

He just needs to keep track of the visions in his eyes.

Or maybe it's just that the future's so bright.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh good to know I'm not the only one who gets confused when it comes to the Armory and Engineering.

"Right, time to upgrade my weapons a tier. Weapons are in the Armory...oh, no, they're in Engineering."

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

That video gets posted for all sorts of reasons and it's never not funny or worth watching through again :allears:

Here's a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah. It does feel like weapons would be in the Armory instead of Engineering.

Anyway, with a mission name like that, I expect some magical stuff happening.

• Locked thread