Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Any good pokemon on everest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a mewtwo at summit. Hope you have a good signal.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I hope there is a gym at basecamp.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I can't help but wonder what would happen if they put a unique Pokemon on the summit. Would woefully under prepared nerds try to climb just to get it? Or would "typical" climbers just use it as another form of bragging? ("First X who captured Ever-Chu on the world's highest mountain!" And can now no longer play the game because they lost all fingers to frostbite.) Probably bad timing since its too late for typical climbing season, but I could see people getting caught up in the hysteria. I am sure by next year, no one will care.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Tag it up there late august and watch nerd corpses pile up during the winter season...

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

gannyGrabber posted:

Tag it up there late august and watch nerd corpses pile up during the winter season...

If enough nerd corpses pile up, one will reach the summit! Like in a zombie apocalypse.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
No one who plays Pokemon has the monetary assets or physique to get to base camp.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

High Lord Elbow posted:

No one who plays Pokemon has the monetary assets or physique to get to base camp.

idk that google guy who got killed last year was posting instagram selfies of him drinking espresso over a crevasse, i feel like he was probably terrible enough to have done it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk that google guy who got killed last year was posting instagram selfies of him drinking espresso over a crevasse

lol my only reaction to things like this is to chuckle and think 'the hubris of man'

am I broken inside?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Moridin920 posted:

lol my only reaction to things like this is to chuckle and think 'the hubris of man'

am I broken inside?

Do you really think this is the right thread to be asking that?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

LastCaress posted:

I still want to do a few ones before thinking of Everest:

-Kosciuszko, Australia
Kosciuszko isn't that great, I climbed it when I was 4 years old (on a family holiday) and again in my teens (on a school excursion).

I would describe it as a hill that is slightly taller than the hills around it.

Edit: Despite being less tall, I found Uluru to be much more challenging because it is far more steeper. Also the view is way better.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 14, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, but Kos is one of the Seven Summits(if you go by the wussier list).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but Kos is one of the Seven Summits(if you go by the wussier list).
Don't get me wrong, it's worth doing but I wouldn't come to Australia specifically for it since it's fairly tame.

That said, it's only like a 5 hour drive from Sydney however so most tourists will go down to it for the weekend then come back, so in that sense it's fairly accessible and easy to incorporate if you're visiting Sydney anyway. :) You can even do a bit of skiing in the nearby snowfields while you're there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Moridin920 posted:

am I broken inside?

it was his last instagram post before he was killed, literally, in writing, mocking the mountain's danger

you cant make this poo poo up lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it was his last instagram post before he was killed, literally, in writing, mocking the mountain's danger

RIP from Thailand! My google executive died of hubris on Everest last year, and so I'm donating today to make sure nobody else kills themselves foolishly on a mountaintop. Put this towards saving the animals!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Thank you Mount Everest!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Say what you like about his hubric arrogance but his gear looks pretty baller.
Live hard and leave a well dressed mangled corpse buried under tons of ice in a crevasse in glacier on a mountain somewhere. No regrats.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Everest eat the eggs humans.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He should not have mocked Sagarmatha

Bobby Digital posted:

Everest eat the eggs humans.

Smash Mountain

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
I've been reading through this thread over the past few days, got a few tips for films to watch from it, so far i've watched Sherpa, K2 - Siren, The Summit & Meru and I'm developing a bit of a fascination with this sort of thing (watching it, not doing it). I'm gonna watch Touching the Void tonight, I did see this one years ago but I can't remember most of it and I'm itching for more, these films are so much more loving terrifying than anything I think I've ever watched... just.. jesus. Can anyone recommend any other good ones I should watch?

Also, I started reading last years thread, anyone know if the fat reddit poster that paid money to climb everest actually went? Did he die? I kinda hope so cos he was full of himself but also kinda don't cos that would be a shame for his family and stuff.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Jez Plama posted:

I've been reading through this thread over the past few days, got a few tips for films to watch from it, so far i've watched Sherpa, K2 - Siren, The Summit & Meru and I'm developing a bit of a fascination with this sort of thing (watching it, not doing it). I'm gonna watch Touching the Void tonight, I did see this one years ago but I can't remember most of it and I'm itching for more, these films are so much more loving terrifying than anything I think I've ever watched... just.. jesus. Can anyone recommend any other good ones I should watch?

Also, I started reading last years thread, anyone know if the fat reddit poster that paid money to climb everest actually went? Did he die? I kinda hope so cos he was full of himself but also kinda don't cos that would be a shame for his family and stuff.

"The Summit" about the 2008 disaster on K2 was really good. It is a mix of inenactments and live footage. Helps you understand what the mountain looks like above the Death Zone.

Edit: oh was The Summit & Meru part of the same title or different? I assumed the same title and not the film I was talking about.

Yeah. Two different films, the & confused me. My mistake.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 16, 2016

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Gripen5 posted:

"The Summit" about the 2008 disaster on K2 was really good. It is a mix of inenactments and live footage. Helps you understand what the mountain looks like above the Death Zone.

Edit: oh was The Summit & Meru part of the same title or different? I assumed the same title and not the film I was talking about.

Ah yeah sorry that could be my crappy formatting, could've done with an oxford comma in there. Yeah, they're two different films. The Summit was great, really enjoyed it. Meru was really good as well, definitely worth watching.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mountain smash the eggs

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Do you think Everest recruits other mountains to do its dirty work? There's been a few deaths this year in our mountains, maybe Everest made them do it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Die Nordvand is good too. German drama of old timey climbers doing a first ascent of the north face of the Eiger. English title is The North Face.
From an era when climbers made their own equipment and wore combat boots with homemade crampons.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Die Nordvand is good too. German drama of old timey climbers doing a first ascent of the north face of the Eiger. English title is The North Face.
From an era when climbers made their own equipment and wore combat boots with homemade crampons.

That film has superb cinematography and believable climbing. Another good tip is the old thriller Eiger Sanction.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

mcustic posted:

That film has superb cinematography and believable climbing.
And Austrian Nazi climbers as antagonists :godwinning:, really good movie.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

mcustic posted:

That film has superb cinematography and believable climbing. Another good tip is the old thriller Eiger Sanction.

A guy actually died filming climbing scenes on Eiger Sanction, I think it might have even been like the second day of filming, and several other guys got serious injuries. It was shot on location on the Eiger and that's not a bullshit location. Eastwood did his own stunts of course. It's an excellent movie, it is super 70s though.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

gohuskies posted:

it is super 70s though.

Clint Eastwood as JONATHAN HEMLOCK

Also, it's hilarious how hard the trailer tries to get over the term "Sanction" as a stand in for "assassination".

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, just finished watching it, what a good film that was. I thought modern mountaineering was insane enough even with all the high-tech kit they have but these guys are doing it in wooly hats and mittens.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I just read Buried in the Sky (excellent), Minus 148 (also excellent) thanks to this thread. I'm currently reading Annapurna, and it's.... okay, the 1950's + european colonialism are laid on a bit thick (and they've not started an ascent yet, halfway through the book). I expect it will pick up a bit in a few pages.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jez Plama posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, just finished watching it, what a good film that was. I thought modern mountaineering was insane enough even with all the high-tech kit they have but these guys are doing it in wooly hats and mittens.

Yeah those old school guys are a different breed.

North face of the Eiger took 3 days for the team on the first ascent of the Heckmair route. Ueli Steck did it a few years ago in winter in under 3 hours.
(I know it's not a totally fair comparison, because the first guys through and many people through since have placed a bunch of fixed protection on the route with hammers and pitons and whatever)

Check out his gear for the trip:
1 icescrew, 2 locking carabiners, 2 carabiners, 1 quickdraw and 1 7mm, 30m rope
All that stuff is less than $200 at REI
http://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/alpinism/ueli-steck-speed-record-on-eiger-heckmair-route.html

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So for less than $200 I can be a sprint climber too? Cool!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

Yeah pretty much anyone can. It's not just spending the $200, it's that the guy at the REI climbing counter will call you "bud" multiple times through the transaction and not everyone can handle that y'know?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Outrail posted:

Follow your dreams! You can do anything*.

* once

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
http://www.theonion.com/article/sherpa-who-led-neil-armstrong-to-moon-dead-at-71-2715

I love the onion.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That's loving beautiful, it just goes on and on.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Even Kilimanjaro hungers

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I thought the only way to die there was to suffocate beneath a mountain of trash and feces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

I thought the only way to die there was to suffocate beneath a mountain of trash and feces.

It's in the middle of Africa. The whole continent hungers.