Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
So the coup was unsuccessful?

Too bad. Erdogan's a huge fascist shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So now the military gets purged of its secularists and Erdogan gets to go full on Islamist?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RIP in piss the Kurds I guess.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

davecrazy posted:

So now the military gets purged of its secularists and Erdogan gets to go full on Islamist?

Yeah pretty much

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The rebels tried to assassinate Erdogan at the hotel he was on vacation (or so he says).

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
More then one person on my Facebook feed praising the power of the people and triumph of Democracy over military dictatorships.

On the other hand I'm not sure I trust them to be able to find Turkey on a map.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Erdogan will keep secular Turkey safe.

quote:

But in 1999 he spent four months in jail after a conviction for religious incitement.
He had publicly read a nationalist poem including the lines: "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers."

Recep Tayyip Erdogan: Turkey's ruthless president

Wasn't aware of that he has been in power for the last 14 years, but that makes sense.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I wonder how many conscripts will be lynched.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My hope is somebody gives him the Indira Gandhi treatment in the not too distant future.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

A Handed Missus posted:

Erdogan will keep secular Turkey safe.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan: Turkey's ruthless president

Wasn't aware of that he has been in power for the last 14 years, but that makes sense.

he's got a Putin "bounce between President and PM jobs to avoid term limits" thing going on. Like Putin, he's transformed the positions to make them the center of power. Putin turned the Russian PM position from a do-nothing functionary into the center of power. Erdogan took the Presidency, which is Constitutionally required to be politically neutral, and within 6 months was openly campaigning for the AKP. Then he fired his PM after the PM objected to "reforms" that would basically turn the President into a dictator. Unsurprisingly the new guy is fully on board with these "reforms"

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Current State of Secularism in Turkey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hFYgMBDPFE

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MhmtSlmz/status/754211994585141248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Make Wahhabism great again

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just woke up. I guess the coup failed?

RIP to those guys :(

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/754267107853012992

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just found this lol

quote:

Last Saturday, June 18, a security guard employed by the abortion mill assaulted a sidewalk counselor with his car, coming inches from running him over. Again video evidence of the assault. Again the police were called. The results? The police issued a summons against…. the victim of the assault, John Ryan. This security guard makes a habit of racing his car into the driveway and steering it toward pro-lifers on the sidewalk: a sidewalk also frequented by mentally challenged adults from the Independence Center next door, as well as children. It is dangerous and irresponsible. The decision to charge the victim sends a clear message to Planned Barrenhood that such assaults are acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TqIdff_DQ

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/aylajean/status/754281674985377792

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
RIP secular Turkey, hello yet another shaky authoritarian ally who we continue to support because of geography.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Someone photosop a turkish flag onto this pls

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe we'll finally get to prop up a Kurdistan and shoot Ed ourselves

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

turkish coup.gif

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
God drat... Turkey is hosed.

They should've went with a decapitation strike. Can't have been very many high level guys in on this.

I wonder how many innocents (and how many actual coup participants) are going to shed blood, be tortured and disappeared because of this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So the coming "inches" from running someone over is someone standing in front of your car blocking you and slamming on your car isn't it?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/CBSWalsh/status/754309527978270720

https://twitter.com/aylajean/status/754304217070837761

:yeah:

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 16, 2016

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mr. Nice! posted:

So the coming "inches" from running someone over is someone standing in front of your car blocking you and slamming on your car isn't it?

Basically

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Well, poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess they already ordered dependents to leave a while back. What the hell are the remaining US forces going to do?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
FPCON Delta means they issued weapons right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FPCON Delta means there's an active attack under way or imminent. Barricades up, guards armed, checkpoints manned, the whole deal.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Stultus Maximus posted:

RIP secular Turkey, hello yet another shaky authoritarian ally who we continue to support because of geography.

*Rummy voice* We don't go in with the dictator we want; we go in with the dictator we've got.

:smugdon:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/07/turkish-soldiers-pissed-work-weekend/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Erdogan might be a giant idiot huffing his own farts but I can't think that anyone in a Turkish uniform really wants to throw down with US forces at a base holding US nuclear weapons.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/754054940411170816

Getting a raging clancy from this tweet

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Isn't Incirlik a combined NATO base with Turkish units based there?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its a Turk base that we and NATO have use agreements for. its also home to US nuclear weapons!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I can't think of a way to get direct and crushing US military intervention faster than trying to seize our nukes.

Ramping up the readiness level is the smart move, some fringe elements may do something dumb. I doubt Edrogan is that stupid though, getting himself to the position he's in takes a bit of foresight and intelligence.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

go3 posted:

its a Turk base that we and NATO have use agreements for. its also home to US nuclear weapons!

Word on the street (twitter) is that a Turkish tanker based out of Incirlik IAR'd pro-coup jets, its probably the reason for this.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rumour is this was the work of Gulenists, a rival islamic movement that once brought the AKP to power but which fell out of favour with their old protegees. Their leader is in exile. So this might not have been a Kemalist plot after all. One can only hope.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Force de Fappe posted:

Rumour is this was the work of Gulenists, a rival islamic movement that once brought the AKP to power but which fell out of favour with their old protegees. Their leader is in exile. So this might not have been a Kemalist plot after all. One can only hope.

I've heard that even from anti-government Turks but there's no loving way, the Gulenists got purged ages ago and the manifesto they put out was Kemalism 101, down to 'restoring secularism' which is something Gulenists would never be into.

E: Erdogan is insanely paranoid about Gulenists, like Stalin-level, sees them behind every bush. He was blaming them even when nobody knew what was going on and he was addressing the country from his iphone camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hogge Wild posted:

The rebels tried to assassinate Erdogan at the hotel he was on vacation (or so he says).

Who the gently caress planned this thing? That event should've been the trigger. This isn't musical chairs. You can't just take over because the leader is out of the country. He needs to be in custody or dead to really vacate the seat.

Force de Fappe posted:

Just :lol: if you think that even if it were true (doubtful) that Erdogan won't use it as an excuse to purge secularists anyway.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2016

• Locked thread