Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

This game looks awesome, but I'm burned out on Early Access at the moment. When this gets fully released, I'm going to be all over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The game has ~10h until you hit the early access wall, imo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Katasi posted:

I heard somewhere that scanner rooms will gently caress up the sound on your save forever right now. Is that not the case?

They still do, last I tried myself. I've seen threads pop up about it still after the latest patch too. Even without that I have found them to be so useless that I've dismantled them in favor of a decorative observatory hub, even though that takes several times the enameled glass.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Definitely. I built a cyclops, loaded it up with a bunch of food, water and extra power cells and was really ready to start exploring. I found the abandoned sea base in the jelly shroom caves with a PDA that mentioned setting up a further base to the East and deeper. When I went that way to explore, I reached a sudden, pitch black drop off.

Went down as far as the cyclops could go, got out and dove down over 1km and then realized, oh this is just the edge of the map, isn't it?

Once I had the sea moth and cyclops I realized the game world is actually quite small. I've seen every biome but the Koosh Zone and inactive lava I think. I suppose I could build another sea base near a thermal vent and tool around upgrading stuff but otherwise I think I've seen most of what this game has to offer right now.

Oh well, I look forward to forgetting all about this game until a year or so from now when there's more stuff to do.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bhodi posted:

Maybe if you use maps and look things up. I went 20 hrs, myself.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Paracelsus posted:

I've had stalkers and bonesharks follow and attack me for very long distances.

Indeed but as mentioned this is not the intended behaviors and they are being worked on. Even if they still do that it is very different to something spawning enemies to hunt you down like in a lot of survival games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Met posted:

Took me about 17 to do everything, but I was playing on freedom instead of survival. Definitely worth the $11 though, I look forward to them adding a storyline beyond the PDAs on the floating island. Though I was never able to find the bed blueprints they added in the power nap update

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Met posted:

I'm using maps and looking things up, and I'm still well over 10 hours and I haven't built a moonpool yet. Of course, that's probably because I'm terrified of sea creatures and I'm very very cautious.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I've got a cyclops, nuke reactor and uranium, moon pool, Chargers, observatory, grow beds, furniture, but I'll be danged if I can find water purifier bits.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's worth mentioning this game is super pretty in VR. Also scary.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I've seen some screenshots that look pretty nice of the Inactive Lava Zone and the Active Lava Zone, but when I've gone to those areas there's no lighting effects at all. Just darkness, until I get close to what's supposedly red-hot lava. Is that normal? Where did those screenshots come from?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When there is a big update, does your progress get wiped? And/or do you need to start a new game to see new content pop in?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Paracelsus posted:

I've had stalkers and bonesharks follow and attack me for very long distances.
I had a crabsnake near the abandoned base in the jellyshroom cave come out of nowhere to attack my seamoth when I wasn't even in it. This update made stuff hilariously aggressive.

On another note, this happened somehow:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While going through the dunes from the sea treader path up to the mushroom forest, I saw three reapers at once.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I had a crabsnake near the abandoned base in the jellyshroom cave come out of nowhere to attack my seamoth when I wasn't even in it. This update made stuff hilariously aggressive.

On another note, this happened somehow:

What, two of them? That was my very first encounter with them months ago.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

While going through the dunes from the sea treader path up to the mushroom forest, I saw three reapers at once.

Yeah the Dunes freak me out. They're lousy with reapers, wide open space, weird freaky stone arches. I felt very exposed out there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile I just dealt with a reaper that was phasing through the ground and generally being a menace.
Normally I would have left him alone, but he was guarding freaking 5 box wrecks next to the Aurora :catstare: I wanted that stuff.

Two full-charge pulses of the seamoth's personal defense field later, and I have a bunch of batteries, health kits and a couple of power packs. Absolutely worth it.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Please tell me multiplayer will be a thing with this game. Pleeeeeaaaase

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They want to but they are focused on finishing the game first.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Exhausted the "tech tree" in around 9 hours, still exploring new areas though. Game is dope, I hope there's still a decent amount more to be added.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GruntyThrst posted:

Exhausted the "tech tree" in around 9 hours, still exploring new areas though. Game is dope, I hope there's still a decent amount more to be added.

In the works are the Exosuit (work in progress in the beta), and them still needing to add the entirety of the story content they have planned involving the precursor aliens and some of their structures.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Section Z posted:

In the works are the Exosuit (work in progress in the beta), and them still needing to add the entirety of the story content they have planned involving the precursor aliens and some of their structures.

Is there any kind of road map/timetable for this? I've built my cyclops and now I don't have much to do with it.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Unkempt posted:

Is there any kind of road map/timetable for this? I've built my cyclops and now I don't have much to do with it.

You can follow everything they're doing on their trello boards. Their roadmap is probably the most useful for watching for new features.

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought Peepers were the best food. Apparently it's Reginalds.

Emptied my 20 peepers into the ocean. They'll be fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Reginalds used to be the best food. Now fruit is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fruits great when in the base. Reginalds are good for salting.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The thing is that fruit is great for bases and makes surviving in your base easy, which it really ought to be. But you need those water bottles and cured fishes when you dive 2k below surface level in a tin can.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can easily put a flower bed thing into your cyclops and plant 4 of those trees in it and never worry about food ever.

Which is kinda lame, but if you don't like that you can also not do it :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Truga posted:

You can easily put a flower bed thing into your cyclops and plant 4 of those trees in it and never worry about food ever.

I like longer trips out on top of just generally puttering around slowly, so I'm much more aware of fruit's shortcomings when you are not standing next to your planter or running back to base every time you get hungry. As nice as they are to have on both base and especially cyclops.

I expect at least once the Exosuit stuff and deep depths story locations are put in, running back for melons will be not quite as attractive while you are working.

Really though, a mild debuff (like, +5% air consumption speed, or half a normal fin's swim speed) when you hit 50% water would make a difference more than any amount of tweaking how hard it is to use fruit. Right now it does not matter what you eat so long as you stay above zero.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Truga posted:

Hell a single tree will do you just fine. Especially with a stillsuit. Just stick it in one of the round planters in a corner.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hell a single tree will do you just fine. Especially with a stillsuit. Just stick it in one of the round planters in a corner.

Building out a cozy little space on the Cyclops is my new favorite pastime in the game since they added all the fun furniture! Also, this puts to rest my fear of planters on board the Cyclops since in previous versions they caused massive physics issues, but it looks like they're more resolved.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I really have to hand it to the devs when it comes to the Cyclops. It feels like a big playhouse with the little sub you can store and the ability to build within it. Not to mention the ability to customize. I don't get much opportunity during play as there is little that can hurt you in it. But when it starts to fill up with water and tips in crazy angles it's a lot of fun/terrifying. I would dig a multiplayer mod that crossed Air Buccaneers with Silent Hunter. Have a crew inside loading torpedos, manning sonar and repairing damage.

Right now I am looking forward to parking the Cyclops over a really deep trench and dropping out of it in the exosuit into the depths like in The Abyss

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Lonos Oboe posted:

I really have to hand it to the devs when it comes to the Cyclops. It feels like a big playhouse with the little sub you can store and the ability to build within it. Not to mention the ability to customize. I don't get much opportunity during play as there is little that can hurt you in it. But when it starts to fill up with water and tips in crazy angles it's a lot of fun/terrifying. I would dig a multiplayer mod that crossed Air Buccaneers with Silent Hunter. Have a crew inside loading torpedos, manning sonar and repairing damage.

Right now I am looking forward to parking the Cyclops over a really deep trench and dropping out of it in the exosuit into the depths like in The Abyss

Yeah, they really nailed the internal design on the cyclops. My one wish would be some sort of docking collar so you could dock it at your base without having to swim.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really want to release the mobile vehicle bay in a cave and see what it does.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Okan170 posted:

Building out a cozy little space on the Cyclops is my new favorite pastime in the game since they added all the fun furniture! Also, this puts to rest my fear of planters on board the Cyclops since in previous versions they caused massive physics issues, but it looks like they're more resolved.

I just wish the bed fit better into that space so I could make it proper quarters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a three story tall alien containment. I'm inside of it but I can't seem to drop this grassy plateau egg inside of it. What's the problem?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
How closed to "finished" is this? I don't wanna ruin another early access game by playing it to death before it's even done.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You'll get a good 10-20 hours out of it right now but there's a lot more end game content planned.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malhavok posted:

How closed to "finished" is this? I don't wanna ruin another early access game by playing it to death before it's even done.

Not that close.

The basic gameplay systems are mostly in place so it's playable and fun, but it's also very buggy and the entire endgame and all the stuff needed for it isn't in yet.

It's a good game regardless, and should be great when completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not that close.

The basic gameplay systems are mostly in place so it's playable and fun, but it's also very buggy and the entire endgame and all the stuff needed for it isn't in yet.

It's a good game regardless, and should be great when completed.

If they can put in a good storyline, gate advances to story progression, make scanning flora and fauna useful, and make some sort of mapping system, this game will be amazing.

Oh, and the ability to build material storage that the connected fabricator can use would be awesome.