Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Nice! Have fun :) These guys are at the top of their game right now

Yeah man I'm excited. First concert at Fenway and I'm a brand new dead noob so I'm expecting to enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw phish at Fenway a few years ago and it's not as bad a place to see a concert as I thought it would be. Still pretty bad though.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BigFactory posted:

I saw phish at Fenway a few years ago and it's not as bad a place to see a concert as I thought it would be. Still pretty bad though.

Fenway is definitely not the best place to see a show sound quality-wise, but the history and importance of the venue in the Boston area makes it a lot cooler. The sound quality probably varies wildly depending on where you sit, but the advantage of Fenway being so small is that there isn't really a "bad seat" in the venue, unless you get stuck behind one of the support beams like I did for Paul McCartney :(

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah man I'm excited. First concert at Fenway and I'm a brand new dead noob so I'm expecting to enjoy it

Awesome. I'm hoping you get to hear the songs you want to hear - any particular one(s) on your wishlist?

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

I'm seeing em on a Saturday too so i'm fully expecting One More Bob Weir Song for the encore. Hold onto your hats...

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Can anyone explain the 80's to me? I feel like this question should be more specific, but I'm not really even sure what I'm asking. I love basically everything about the first fifteen years, but every time I try to listen to anything after that, I'm more or less completely disinterested.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheChaosPath posted:

Can anyone explain the 80's to me? I feel like this question should be more specific, but I'm not really even sure what I'm asking. I love basically everything about the first fifteen years, but every time I try to listen to anything after that, I'm more or less completely disinterested.

You don't like dead set or reckoning?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheChaosPath posted:

Heroin is bad.

But seriously, when I have time I'll try and answer this as best as possible.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

BigFactory posted:

You don't like dead set or reckoning?

Reckoning is really cool just for what it is, but I don't listen to it very often.

I think Dead Set might be a reasonable thing to listen to around people who don't really listen to the Dead, but taking a month's worth of shows and pulling enough of the most tidy and concise performances (while the band was probably doing their best to be tidy and concise every night) to fill up an album isn't really my idea of a great time.

E: Just relistened through Dead Set. Found out the tracks on the original release are edited down, which explains a lot. Bonus disc is pretty good.

LordPants posted:

But seriously, when I have time I'll try and answer this as best as possible.

Sincerely looking forward to it

TheChaosPath fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 12, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Thanks to a coworker who couldn't go, I'm also going to the Saturday Fenway show! My first double header concert ever - so psyched! The tickets were normally $100+ with fees but I got the pair for $70 each

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Thanks to a coworker who couldn't go, I'm also going to the Saturday Fenway show! My first double header concert ever - so psyched! The tickets were normally $100+ with fees but I got the pair for $70 each

Hell yeah dude! Be sure to post here Saturday for a Friday trip report

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hell yeah dude! Be sure to post here Saturday for a Friday trip report

Will do :)

Also, for any interested, there's $25 tickets ($43 with fees) for tomorrow's show through this link: http://purchasenow4.tickets.com/buy/TicketOnsale?orgid=46849&poid=145896&agency=FENWAY_PRE1&partnerId=ed-10571667-912288093

Password is WELCOME

Edit: The link is now inactive :( It was only active on Thursday, and the promo ended around 10pm last night I believe..

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Well, that was incredible. Out of the three times I've seen them so far, this was the best yet! They went big for this show, and this had to be my favorite two sets yet :) Donna Godchaux showed up, so it's likely she'll stick around for tomorrow. Can't wait!

Set One:

Jack Straw
The Music Never Stopped
Next Time You See Me
Loser
Peggy-O
Help On The Way -> Slipknot! -> Franklin's Tower

Set Two:

St. Stephen
Dark Star -> Terrapin Station
Drums -> Space -> Terrapin Station reprise
Morning Dew
Casey Jones

Encore:

Black Muddy River
US Blues

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Well, that was incredible. Out of the three times I've seen them so far, this was the best yet! They went big for this show, and this had to be my favorite two sets yet :) Donna Godchaux showed up, so it's likely she'll stick around for tomorrow. Can't wait!

Set One:

Jack Straw
The Music Never Stopped
Next Time You See Me
Loser
Peggy-O
Help On The Way -> Slipknot! -> Franklin's Tower

Set Two:

St. Stephen
Dark Star -> Terrapin Station
Drums -> Space -> Terrapin Station reprise
Morning Dew
Casey Jones

Encore:

Black Muddy River
US Blues

I managed to find a stream, but I'm kicking myself because I could have bought tickets for tonight but I didn't. That second set was just insanity.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I guess that had every song you'd want to hear. Feel bad for people going tonight. Hope they like hearing one more Saturday night and a snails pace playin in the band.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Well I guess that had every song you'd want to hear. Feel bad for people going tonight. Hope they like hearing one more Saturday night and a snails pace playin in the band.

Not necessarily

I feel like they could bring out the following: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Truckin, New Minglewood Blues, Mississippi Half-Step or even an Eyes of the World

There's plenty of great stuff left! I'll report back later tonight, as I'll be heading in around 3:30

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How hot was it last night? I might die tonight

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Also what time did it end ?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

About 10:30, but I wasn't there, that's just when the stream wrapped up I was listening to.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Not necessarily

I feel like they could bring out the following: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Truckin, New Minglewood Blues, Mississippi Half-Step or even an Eyes of the World

There's plenty of great stuff left! I'll report back later tonight, as I'll be heading in around 3:30

I was only teasing. Little jealous I'm not going tonight. But I went to phish last weekend which pretty much ruled so I'm happy with my one concert for the summer.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How hot was it last night? I might die tonight

It was like a goddamn sauna in there, it was so freakin' hot - totally worth it though!

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

About 10:20ish

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haha yikes. I'm on the field with first row seats of the second section with papa shrimp. Praying for a nice breeze!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Incredible night.

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 17, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I think tonight was the best night of my life. Papa SHRIMP and I just jammed out to songs we barely knew in beautiful weather then got a ton of tacos. Couldn't be happier!!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

i can't get over how amazing everything was tonight. i can promise you i will never miss a dead & co/similar show in my life in the future

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think tonight was the best night of my life. Papa SHRIMP and I just jammed out to songs we barely knew in beautiful weather then got a ton of tacos. Couldn't be happier!!

Glad you had a good time!! Just got back - my brother and I went to Sweet Caroline's for some beers and appetizers then went into zoo to enter the park - today felt a lot more comfortable overall

That Deal, He's Gone and Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain were all phenomenal

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 17, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What an incredible weekend at Fenway! Both Friday and Saturday were phenomenal and the best shows I've seen yet from them (I've seen them now four times total)

Friday's highlights were easily the Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower in the first set and then the entire loving epic second set (St. Stephen > Dark Star > Terrapin then back into Terrapin after Drums Space, Morning Dew and an energetic Casey Jones)

Saturday had a better first set in my opinion with the Truckin' opener, and then the smokin' Deal > Bird Song > Passenger all with Donna Godcheaux. The second set had a few nice surprises with the He's Gone, Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain and Not Fade Away - and the Estimated Prophet was the best out of the three times I've heard it live by them (I saw it in Hartford and Worcester)

Edit: The crowd was pretty wild too. I got so baked during Dark Star, it was wonderful

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Donna Jean looks an awful lot like Greg allman these days.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I'm a relatively newbie deadhead, but I gotta ask...why is this thread so salty sometimes? Everybody else seems to be having fun.

Oteil just played a whole show tripping his rear end off and it was pretty drat cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MUuEWyBNM

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 26, 2016

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I'm a relatively newbie deadhead, but I gotta ask...why is this thread so salty sometimes?

I don't recall exactly how much it applies to this thread in particular, but as a general rule it's some combination of not being able to let Jerry go and holding a grudge against Bobby for being too handsome

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I like Dead & Company; it'd be cool if they kept 85-90% of the current setlist but add in a few previously unplayed songs occasionally, like the Dead did with Dylan tunes in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX06ZBfmhUQ

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oteil just played a whole show tripping his rear end off and it was pretty drat cool.

Between this and that interview with Bobby where he said he still trips with younger bands from time to time, it warms my heart.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 27, 2016

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I don't particularly care for Bobby's playing the last ten plus years. The FTW shows and the Dead & Co recordings all reflect SLOW playing, like really slow. I'd rather listen to Russo's Almost Dead or recordings from 77-78. They are too old and play way too slow.

edit: this weekend is also LOCKN' where Phish is playing and also WEEN and Phil Lesh & Friends. I'd bet that Trey or Mike sits in with Phil. I'm not going but I'll download to listen. I won't bother with Dead & Co shows. Just my opinion.

An Apple A Gay fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 28, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

DJ BK posted:

I don't particularly care for Bobby's playing the last ten plus years. The FTW shows and the Dead & Co recordings all reflect SLOW playing, like really slow. I'd rather listen to Russo's Almost Dead or recordings from 77-78. They are too old and play way too slow.

edit: this weekend is also LOCKN' where Phish is playing and also WEEN and Phil Lesh & Friends. I'd bet that Trey or Mike sits in with Phil. I'm not going but I'll download to listen. I won't bother with Dead & Co shows. Just my opinion.

Watch this Casey Jones from the July 15th Fenway show (an epic night), and tell me they're playing "slow" (fast forward to about 4:52 or so): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5Ps6tqk_w

Bobby has sounded better than he has in years. Way better than he did with Furthur, that's for sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DJ BK posted:

Not joking, I think it's actually supposed to be page and fishman sitting in with him. It was already announced.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
DeadCo was loving magical for all of us who were never around to see Jerry. Saw them three times and loved each time. I'm legitimately surprised at how good Johnny Checkers was at playing the Dead. If Bobby would unfuck his laser-beam-tone, and if they'd increase the tempo just a bit, it would be as close to flawless as you can get.

Out of every post-Jerry dead incarnation or reboot that I've seen (JRAD, P&F at Terrapin, Furthur, DSO, DeadCo) they were by far the best version. The only issues I had were tempo (which, eh, what can you do with 70 year olds), Bobby's tone (because he's nearly loving deaf and seems to think his laser tone is nice) and the pre-fab Drums section that was essentially Micky and Billy banging on things while electronic music played.

Their final show at Shoreline was stupid. The second set was Dark Star > St Stephen > Eyes of the world > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > Days Between > NFA. That's like a 1973 dream set. What the gently caress is that? It's delicious, that is what it is.

The long strange trip is slowly coming to a close. The core four are all in their 70's and on borrowed time. I don't know who is going to go first but I'm not ready for any of it.

At least we have Phish(maybe? hiatus rumors kicking up in gear)

OniKun fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 2, 2016

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
LOCKN announced they'll have a free livestream for the entire festival. It starts tomorrow Thursday 8/25 through Sunday 8/28.
Phil has sets Saturday and Sunday with a bunch of guys including Gary Clark Jr. sitting in. also performing: JRAD, Keller Williams' Grateful Gospel w/ John K, and more

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ragle posted:

LOCKN announced they'll have a free livestream for the entire festival. It starts tomorrow Thursday 8/25 through Sunday 8/28.
Phil has sets Saturday and Sunday with a bunch of guys including Gary Clark Jr. sitting in. also performing: JRAD, Keller Williams' Grateful Gospel w/ John K, and more

Keller Williams might just be my least favorite musician.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So apparently Bobby's latest album is... good?

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

algebra testes posted:

It is pretty good. Not very similar to normal dead stuff at all though. It seems to fit with the sort of things that Bobby is into though. To me, it reminds me a bit of Johnny Cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

algebra testes posted:

It's some suicidal cowboy blues. It's surprisingly good, even though Bobby has a tough time singing on key nowadays. The album is clearly him reflecting on his life and coming to terms with the fact that he's getting off the bus soon.