Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It is a little weird if they couldn't get a 24 episode show but could get 2 separate ones for 12. But Dangan ronpa is a weird property so I guess it all adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

(the two girls in front of me at the DR2 showing [and the audience for these things is always 90% women] spent time before the show started browsing screenshots of bound fantasy Togami from AE on their phone).

Were they cosplaying Touko?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

I suspect DR3 isn't really 2 separate series but rather an exercise in non-linear storytelling. I bet both parts are necessary to get the complete story, and that revelations on either show will be synced to affect the other one on the same week.

That's my impression too, and it will be neat if they pull it off. Both arcs so far have had decent first episodes (though the Despair arc pilot is the undisputed winner), so I have some confidence in it.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 15, 2016

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

ViggyNash posted:

I thought the explanation was that she was another student but a plant from FF, I don't remember anything about her being an AI like usami.

I can't remember exactly how it played out, but I seem to recall DR2 pretty much outright stating (or drat close to it) that she was an extention of the Alter Ego project. If nothing else, Chiaki sharing the same birthday as Chihiro and her mentioning during free time that her father was a programmer seem to heavily imply as such.

Anyway, throw me in as another one who is quite happy with how the pilots have turned out thus far. Yukizome and the reintroductions of the DR2 cast have been a joy to watch thus far, and it'll be hard to watch when everything goes to poo poo for them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Chiaki being a real person means that when Monokuma gave Nagito the profiles of the characters in DR2, he had simply used the real Chiaki's profile, instead of creating a new one to hide her identity. So it makes some sense that she was a real person, but I am willing to bet that her being based on a real person was not planned when they made the DR2 game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Trash Boat posted:

I can't remember exactly how it played out, but I seem to recall DR2 pretty much outright stating (or drat close to it) that she was an extention of the Alter Ego project. If nothing else, Chiaki sharing the same birthday as Chihiro and her mentioning during free time that her father was a programmer seem to heavily imply as such.

Anyway, throw me in as another one who is quite happy with how the pilots have turned out thus far. Yukizome and the reintroductions of the DR2 cast have been a joy to watch thus far, and it'll be hard to watch when everything goes to poo poo for them.

Doesn't Alter Ego come out and say that he, Chiaki, and Usami were all made by Chihiro/the Alter Ego project in the last chapter of DR2? Admittedly, it's been a few years and I was reading a tumblr LP/translation pre-localization since I last read DR2, so I'll admit to being wrong if I am.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The game never calls her an alter ego but hints at it quite a bit

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It might honestly be both. It's an Alter Ego based off Chiaki, much like the original one was theoretically based off Chihiro. I imagine it's a lot easier to program some sort of moral guideline program if they have a real personality to base it off of, at least to get it acting human enough to trick the people they're trying to modify. Which is what the entire computer system is meant to do as I understand it, turn the Ultimate Despair Members into normal/good people instead of the monsters Junko created/left behind.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I forget, which game's cast is in what class? DR2's students are the 77th class, but I don't remember what class DR1's students are. Basically I'm wondering what the chances of seeing DR1's cast appearing in the Despair arc are. If Chihiro and Chiaki are related in some way, even just through the Alter Ego program, i imagine they would have had to meet before. Not to mention, the DR2 cast has to come into contact with Junko.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think everyone expects the other shoe to drop at some point in Side:Despair, particularly due to the stinger at the end of the first episode. If and when that other shoe drops, I'm curious if they'll reenact the Twilight mystery thing from DR2 and we'll learn who E-ko was.

Edit: Also only just started Side:Despair after marathoning watching LPs of DR2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

The game never calls her an alter ego but hints at it quite a bit

Hmm, the "our" there seems pretty deliberate. Alright, I'll accept she's an AI of the original. But now I'm worried about what happened to the original...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FPzero posted:

I forget, which game's cast is in what class? DR2's students are the 77th class, but I don't remember what class DR1's students are. Basically I'm wondering what the chances of seeing DR1's cast appearing in the Despair arc are. If Chihiro and Chiaki are related in some way, even just through the Alter Ego program, i imagine they would have had to meet before. Not to mention, the DR2 cast has to come into contact with Junko.

DR1's cast is the 78th class, so yeah they were all at school at the same time. Here's the translated timeline from the anime's website:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

lets hang out posted:

DR1's cast is the 78th class, so yeah they were all at school at the same time. Here's the translated timeline from the anime's website:

Guess we now know what happened to Chiaki. :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God, it's crazy how little space the actual games take up on that timeline

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What are the other things in the timeline? I see which ones are the games, and the new anime, but what are the other stuff?

CryingAthena posted:

Guess we now know what happened to Chiaki. :v:

You think she's the one that got murdered? That could fit...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In order, everything is:

Danganronpa 3 Despair
Danganronpa Zero (a novel)
Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls
Danganronpa 1
Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer (a manga)
Danganronpa 2
Danganronpa Future

There's also the actual third game, New Danganronpa V3: A New Semester for Everyone's Killing Life which will be loving somewhere on this timeline and about some poo poo who knows

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 16, 2016

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Moltrey posted:

Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls
Danganronpa 1
Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer (a manga)
Danganronpa 2

The timeline here is a bit off since Komaru gets kidnapped before Danganronpa 1, but literally everything else in the game is some time after

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What about the Kyouko novels?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There are a lot of dumb LNs on the side, but if it's not on that timeline it probably doesn't matter

ViggyNash posted:

The part with the murdered girl probably refers to the twilight syndrome case

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Apparently not canon which is fine because Kyouko is lame af.

Same for the Togami novel which was bad for like the opposite reason, not enough Togami

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Judging by that timeline, I imagine there will probably be one or two more episodes of the Despair arc where things are mostly nice and happy, with whatever's happening to Hajime going on in the background unrelated to the others. Then at some point it will cover the murder of the girl, and after that who knows. I guess the 78th class will show up and then the series will chronicle the descent into Despair.

ViggyNash posted:

Wasn't the girl that was murdered Fuyuhiko's sister? That was the whole motivation behind Trial 2.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Moltrey posted:

There's also the actual third game, New Danganronpa V3: A New Semester for Everyone's Killing Life which will be loving somewhere on this timeline and about some poo poo who knows
I guess there could always be some twist, but they've said that they chose V3 to be unrelated to the previous games.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Especially when they explicitly say at the end of the first Future episode that this is the end of Naegi's story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

Judging by that timeline, I imagine there will probably be one or two more episodes of the Despair arc where things are mostly nice and happy, with whatever's happening to Hajime going on in the background unrelated to the others. Then at some point it will cover the murder of the girl, and after that who knows. I guess the 78th class will show up and then the series will chronicle the descent into Despair.

Wasn't the girl that was murdered Fuyuhiko's sister? That was the whole motivation behind Trial 2.

Unnamed girl that was murdered was his younger sister.

Moltrey posted:

God, it's crazy how little space the actual games take up on that timeline

Most of it is Side:Despair's fault since it's supposed to take place over three years. The games take place over ~1 month or 2. Presumably Side:Future takes place over the same time frame. I don't actually remember how long after DR1 DR2 takes place though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

I guess there could always be some twist, but they've said that they chose V3 to be unrelated to the previous games.
Oh really? I actually had no idea about that, I was wondering why they made a DR3 and a New DR V3, neat!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's kinda hard to keep the formula going without a reset when your big bad has to get killed after every game. :v:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Huh looking at that timeline I wonder how much the events of DR Zero we will see in the Despair Side, especially since most of the characters from that are from the same year as the DR2 kids.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kyte posted:

It's kinda hard to keep the formula going without a reset when your big bad has to get killed after every game. :v:

Aside from Monaka.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Moltrey posted:

Apparently not canon which is fine because Kyouko is lame af.

The Kirigiri novels are canon (they were written with Kodaka consulting), but they take place years before this timeline and are more of an origin story.

The Togami novels should also be canon, but I haven't read them yet so I don't know what they're about.

It's interesting to note both are written by authors who won actual literary prizes for their non-LN work.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

orenronen posted:

The Kirigiri novels are canon (they were written with Kodaka consulting), but they take place years before this timeline and are more of an origin story.

The Togami novels should also be canon, but I haven't read them yet so I don't know what they're about.

It's interesting to note both are written by authors who won actual literary prizes for their non-LN work.
Totally forgot that was an origin story, my bad.

The Togami novels are about Togami and his biographer on a trip to Prague which sounds really cool, but of course poo poo goes wildly sideways and there's some despair. I read the first volume and it was pretty alright iirc, maybe I'll go back to it. Despite having his name on it, Togami's not really the focus character which isn't what I signed up for, so 0/10

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
From what I have heard the Kyoko novels are pretty alright but the Togami ones people haven't really liked.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

IceBorg posted:

From what I have heard the Kyoko novels are pretty alright but the Togami ones people haven't really liked.

I did read most of the Kirigiri novels (I got through half of the last one published a year ago and got distracted away from it), and they're strangely compelling, but also extremely bizarre, gory and grotesque even by DR standards.

I bought the first Togami novel - it's right here in the pile of books next to me - but the first chapter was such a chore to read through thanks to some extremely obscure Japanese that I put it back on my queue instead of continuing.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There's a fan translation of DRT ongoing here, incidentally.

You can also probably find an English translation of Killer Killer on your :filez: site of choice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

IceBorg posted:

All I know is that in the future many people that are going through the whole series will probably be spoiled because they decide to see the despair side first because it's a prequel and they will be so confused by the beginning of the first episode.

I don't think it's that confusing. I mean, I'm not totally new to the series or anything, but as someone who decided not to watch the Future half because I don't really care about Naegi, I just interpreted that scene as a slightly weird way of starting in media res. I just assumed she would die by the end of the Despair arc and didn't think much of it.

That said, anyone who watches a prequel first is doing something wrong anyway. I'm pretty sure no prequels are ever written to be experienced before what they prequel. That's the whole point.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not to mention that even though it's chronologically a prequel, Despair Arc is still prefixed with "Danganronpa 3".

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's weird hearing a different voice for Monokuma. I got so used to hearing classic Doraemon!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I called it.

I was not expecting a DR1 survivor to die this fast though. Poor Asahina...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
With that many flags, it wasn't a surprise when it happened.

Also, it matches the op. But does that then imply that we already know who will die and exactly how? That would kinda suck if it did.

The order definitely seems to be different, so we don't know who will die when.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Great Gozu status: still the best.
Meanwhile, silver-haired guy manages to be the worst with his high school debate class-level logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Great Gozu status: still the best.
Meanwhile, silver-haired guy manages to be the worst with his high school debate class-level logic.

Well he's only a SHSL Class President.

So this is basically Werewolf/Mafia, but with an active component and every player has a restricted action.

I actually sort of hope the reformed Remnants storm the place and rescue everyone (who's left alive anyways) at some point.

• Locked thread