Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

hyperhazard posted:

Not to mention, what was she menstruating out of? Her urethra?

Hymen myths are my pet peeve. The vast majority of people seem to think they work like food seals, completely closed until you have sex or something ruptures them. Hymens do no work like that! :argh:

If the hymen pops up and down when you press it with your finger the vagina is not sealed and needs to be reprocessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I've never come across a vagina that didn't have the tamper-evident seal already broken.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CannedMacabre posted:

I've never come across a vagina that didn't have the tamper-evident seal already broken.

Good on you. You have to get the sealed ones hot or bang them on hard surfaces, and either way it's a pain in the dick

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CannedMacabre posted:

grrrrrooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I read some book in high school Spanish class that said something like, women in ye olden Spain who weren't virgins would take a pin and poke themselves in the vagina to bleed on their wedding night because to prove they were virgins the white bedsheets had to have blood on them, and they would hang these bloody bedsheets outside the window the day after the wedding. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it sounds weird

Oh and lots of people who say Jews have sex through a hole in a bedsheet.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jul 16, 2016

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

TheKennedys posted:

I have a really similar quasi-memory about fracturing my nose riding a bike when I was a kid; I told it as absolute truth for 15-20 years, and I had the "bump" in my nose to verify it in my mind (even before I actually did shatter my nose years later), but now that I'm older I start wondering how true the story actually is, or if I even broke it the first time at all. Since I have a real "broke my nose standing still in a meeting room" story now I've stopped telling it, but I'll probably always wonder about it.

Resculpting reality to be more interesting or combining stories to make an attention-getting mega-story are pretty common in kids, and a lot of people just never grow out of it. Some of them become the consummate one-uppers that post bullshit on NAR, and some of them just quietly keep doing it on a lesser, more subtle level over the years as they realize nobody's going to call them out on it.

For as long as I can remember, I've had this childhood memory: I was playing outside, messed around w a sewer grate, the thing fell and four fingers on my left hand got chopped off clean.

A couple of years ago, I was talking to some friends, one of those conversations about scars and accidents, so I started telling that story. Halfway through I realised that I still have all of my fingers and that poo poo definitely never happened what the gently caress did you make me believe all my life, brain

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh and lots of people who say Jews have sex through a hole in a bedsheet.

it's all just a mistranslation. They use the same holes as everybody else

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Thin Privilege posted:

I read some book in high school Spanish class that said something like, women in ye olden Spain who weren't virgins would take a pin and poke themselves in the vagina to bleed on their wedding night because to prove they were virgins the white bedsheets had to have blood on them, and they would hang these bloody bedsheets outside the window the day after the wedding. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it sounds weird
I mean, virgins aren't more likely to bleed than non-virgins, unless they have a medical condition. I know the STDH thread isn't the place to go into it, but I'd love to know why the bleeding = virgin myth became a thing.

Anyway, back to some lovely NAR.

quote:

Jurassic Farce
FLORIDA, USA

Customer: “I need some help locating the item that this coupon advertises. I’ve looked everywhere and just can’t find it.”

Me: “Let’s see if I can help you here…” *looks at the coupon* “I’m sorry ma’am, we don’t sell this item anymore.”

Customer: “Why not? I have a coupon for it. I wanted to get it for my husband for his birthday next week.”

Me: “Ma’am, this coupon was expired fifteen years ago. They no longer make this product.”

Customer: “Can’t you go look for one? I really need it, it would be perfect for him.”

Me: “…sure! It just so happens that I developed a machine that can warp the space/time continuum. Would you like to accompany me on the trip or would you like to stay here?”

Customer: “REALLY? Thank you so much! I’ll stay here and wait for you.”

(I go into the back room for a couple of minutes to let my manager know what I’m about to do, then come back out running.)

Me: “MA’AM! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! I MESSED UP AND WENT BACK TOO FAR! I ENDED UP GOING BACK TO THE AGE OF THE DINOSAURS AND THERE’S A PISSED-OFF VELOCIRAPTOR RIGHT BEHIND ME!”

Customer: “OH NO! I’LL GO CALL THE POLICE!” *runs out of the store*

(I went back to my manager after the customer ran off, and he was literally rolling on the ground laughing.)

Literally rolling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a bit different since, as we know, Jewish boys have their penises cut off on their 13th birthday.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Good on you. You have to get the sealed ones hot or bang them on hard surfaces, and either way it's a pain in the dick

Please, if it were possible to get a woman hot I'm sure I would have managed it by now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

hyperhazard posted:

Literally rolling.

He was on extacy. They all were

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

the chaos engine posted:

For as long as I can remember, I've had this childhood memory: I was playing outside, messed around w a sewer grate, the thing fell and four fingers on my left hand got chopped off clean.

A couple of years ago, I was talking to some friends, one of those conversations about scars and accidents, so I started telling that story. Halfway through I realised that I still have all of my fingers and that poo poo definitely never happened what the gently caress did you make me believe all my life, brain

:psyboom: That is as terrifying as it is impressive. Brains are something else.

I Am Not Steve
Sep 3, 2011

Redcordial posted:

Also a friend of mine was racially abused today whilst commuting home, by a man in a suit and tie no less. He had shoved an elderly Chinese lady to the ground, and proceeded to knock into my friend to then let out a racial tirade.

The guy said such things as "You need to walk in a straight line, maybe over in China you can loving walk all over the place but this is Australia"

And... "It's because of people like you that we need Pauline Hanson".

My friend is a father and motorbike rider, so he was quick to confront the man who left like a coward apparently. My friend received claps and cheers from people around, which is nice.....

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thin Privilege posted:

My (least) favorite one was told by I think actually elise but maybe I'm wrong about who it was that posted it. It went along the lines of, "I had this little old lady patient and was trying to get a catheter into her but I couldn't find the hole, then I noticed that there was an intact hymen. I asked her if she was sexually active and she said "yes when I first had sex with my husband it hurt but I thought it was supposed to hurt." Apparently she had been having sex through her urethra for 40 years and didn't know it." I mean, come on. That's loving literally physically impossible.

It's been discussed in medical journals, so idk. 50 years on, twice the documented cases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said the magic word Australia, so that's entirely plausible.

I Am Not Steve
Sep 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

He said the magic word Australia, so that's entirely plausible.

I believe the rear end in a top hat racist :australia:heroic patriot:australia: part, but this thread has made me insanely skeptical of any story that ends in a crowd of random bystanders applauding.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

My (least) favorite one was told by I think actually elise but maybe I'm wrong about who it was that posted it. It went along the lines of, "I had this little old lady patient and was trying to get a catheter into her but I couldn't find the hole, then I noticed that there was an intact hymen. I asked her if she was sexually active and she said "yes when I first had sex with my husband it hurt but I thought it was supposed to hurt." Apparently she had been having sex through her urethra for 40 years and didn't know it." I mean, come on. That's loving literally physically impossible.

One I remember hearing is about is "gerbilling" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbilling). I imagine it's related to gay panic stuff in general, but this is another one my dad swore to have seen.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Australian

quote:

This troper goes to an Australian public school - year 10 this year, actually. Anyway, most years, the way the house captains are announced is by just having the principal call out their names and having them walk up to the front all normal-like. This year, we did something different. They started up like they were going to do the normal thing, then two of the house captains came up onto the stage in black clothes and shades and announced a mission - 'jailbreak' one of the other senior students. Cue a vaguely All Your Colours Combined sequence ... then some dude runs in with a fake bomb, plants it on the door to the assembly hall staff room. Everyone ducks. No explosion noise. The dude kicks the door open. The 'captive' walks out. Through all this the Mission Impossible theme is playing. It was stupid and awesome at the same time.

Raekuul

quote:

The following is crossposted from Crowning Moment Of Heartwarming. Raekuul is completely uninvolved.
[O]ne of those [overzealous religious bigots] came to our college campus, and, among other things, started condemning women for the way they dress, saying that a good "Christian" woman wears skirts and dresses (never pants) and realizes that her place is to be subservient to men. He then pointed out a girl who was walking across campus, modestly dressed in a blouse and long skirt, saying that she was a perfect example of how women should dress. Her response to this was to stop what she was doing, unzip her skirt, walk out of it, and resume her stroll across the green.

Socking

quote:

This Troper (I shall use first person from now on, it's easier) as a sixth-grader was a total outcast and disconnected freaky-tall girl - and, come to think of it, I still am. xD But anyway, this status easily landed some pretty stupid rumors; I mostly shrugged them all off, except for one - 'Hey, (Troper), is it true you punched a teacher in third grade?' I got this one from a girl I didn't know. I asked the girl who she heard it from, and actually tracked the trail back to its origin - but that wasn't the C Mo A. The guy who started the rumor was talking to a friend of his. This friend was a total wimp, and so when I loomed ominously over the boy his buddy didn't even try to tell him I was there. He was turned away from me, and I disguised my voice. This insanity ensued...
ME: Hey, I heard you started that rumor about (my name) socking a teacher in third grade. (I never, ever use the term 'socking'...)
KID: Oh, yeah, I did that.
ME: D'you think she's going to find out about it?
KID: Naw, she's too stupid to do that...
*silence*
KID (to FRIEND): She's standing behind me, isn't she?
FRIEND (scared): Naw.
ME: No, not really...
KID: Oh, good...
ME: *in scary and emotionless tone* ... I'm actually standing slightly to your left.
KID: *looks around, mouth open* I... didn't mean any of it... aah! *runs away*

Determinator

quote:

This troper, who recently got home after curing acute appendicitis, apparently walked around with said appendicitis for four years, as the symptoms began showing four years ago when this troper was thirteen years old. Most who do not treat acute appendicitis is likely to die within in a matter of days or weeks untreated. This troper, Made Of Iron? gently caress no, this troper is GODDAMN IMMORTAL!. As icing on the cake, this troper has never broken a single bone in his body, rarely if ever gets infected by diseases and has a pain threshhold over 9000. This troper thinks a lot of it is related to his status as a Determinator worthy of Bro' Kamina himself. To compensate for it, he's the living embodiment of the Afraid Of Needles trope.

Pencil

quote:

When this troper was at her old school, bad things happened, with a very specific aim. These things included being followed home by one particular group of boys, as well as them following her mum and sister around. They also included knives, once, when she was on her own. This kid, surrounded by his mates, pulled out a penknife on her. She gave him eye contact and simply informed him of the fact that he was never going to use it (whilst secretly panicking and preparing the flight option of the fight-flight-freeze decision), and that if he went now she'd never mention it again (hah). Her judgement was correct; he and his mates walked off looking a bit sheepish (a slightly different kind of sheepish to the JW, it has to be said). Her interactions with a different but, at the same time, very similar group of boys (you know what I mean, right?) resulted in her stabbing the leader in the head with a sharp pencil, making him cry in front of all of his friends. It was very satisfying, and him and his mates left her and her friends well alone after that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The appendicitis troper tale is hilarious, largely because it crosses the line from just "situation extremely unlikely to ever occur" to "literally impossible." I also like how he says he "rarely if ever catches diseases" after saying he suffered from appendicitis for 4 years.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The appendicitis troper tale is hilarious, largely because it crosses the line from just "situation extremely unlikely to ever occur" to "literally impossible." I also like how he says he "rarely if ever catches diseases" after saying he suffered from appendicitis for 4 years.

The fact that he's saying he had an "acute" illness for four years is making me irrationally annoyed

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Xen Tricks posted:

The fact that he's saying he had an "acute" illness for four years is making me irrationally annoyed

Saying he "cured" acute appendicitis is what's doing it for me.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Khazar-khum posted:

(a slightly different kind of sheepish to the JW, it has to be said). Her interactions with a different but, at the same time, very similar group of boys (you know what I mean, right?)
No! I don't!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

I mean, virgins aren't more likely to bleed than non-virgins, unless they have a medical condition. I know the STDH thread isn't the place to go into it, but I'd love to know why the bleeding = virgin myth became a thing.

I think it's because clumsy, unlubricated sex can result in pain and tearing of the hymen that results in bleeding. Ostensibly a woman is supposed to remain a virgin until her wedding day and the guy banging her probably isn't the smoothest operator in the village/castle/tribe, so he'd make a mess of things so consistently that eventually it becomes "common knowledge" that losing your virginity is bloody and painful and that you're supposed to be tearing the poor girl to shreds with your dick.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Tropers seem bizarrely obsessed with pencils. I swear every other story from there has someone getting stabbed with one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Telemaze posted:

Tropers seem bizarrely obsessed with pencils. I swear every other story from there has someone getting stabbed with one.

Most tropers who tell these stories are schoolkids or their time in school had the stories they tell to try and seem badass. Pencils and pens are the only weapons they have available.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Xen Tricks posted:

:same:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Knife

quote:

The second involves a mugger on the NYC subway late at night. The guy pulled a knife on me, and stabbed my right shoulder when I refused to hand over my wallet by saying, "I have no intention of giving you my money. It's bad enough I pay taxes!" I clamped down on the pain long enough to pull the knife out of my shoulder, give the guy a Kubrick Stare over the tops of my glasses, and ask, "Did it ever occur to you that I might be left-handed?" I then drove the knife into his shoulder, broke the blade off, and got off at the next stop to get my shoulder stitched and report the incident to the NYPD.

Poker

quote:

This troper witnessed something that clearly shows that Reality Is Unrealistic. You see, there is a bully/loser that is always playing poker for money during lunch. He and his group of bullies try to occasionally force someone to play with them, so they can basically steal his money.(4 guys playing poker for money against one. Since they share the money they win from the person they force to play, they always end up winning.) One day, a new guy transfered to this trooper's high school. The bullies invited him to play. He accepted. This trooper felt sorry for the new guy. He wasn't very tall, and wasn't very strong either. Then, at the first hand...He bet twenty dollars. Then, that guy laughed and raised the bet to sixty dollars. IN HIGH SCHOOL. DURING LUNCH. The bullies(and everyone watching the game) stared at him for a couple of seconds. The bullies figured he was bluffing. He wasn't. Then he LAUGHED. An Evil Laugh. This troper asked his friend if the transfer student was called Akagi. Before he could answer, the transfer student decided to give them a chance to get their money back. In Black Jack 21. They lost. Then he laughed histerically, took their money and walked away saying that they didn't know what real gambling was like. I swear, if they ever make a Western adaptation of Akagi, they should hire that guy to play Akagi. I'm dead serious.

Yale

quote:

This troper's father was a hippy during the Vietnam War, and he not only lay down on the ground in front of the White House when there were policemen on horses there, but he got arrested, escaped the police van with a bunch of his hippy friends when it got a flat tire, took over a college building, got kicked out of Yale for said college building incident, managed to get out of the draft by saying he was a CO, and got back into Yale all in the same time frame.

Conference

quote:

First, after his parents were unable to go to a Parent-Teacher's meeting, he had to go, and endure a "conference" by a "Psychologist" who claimed that Anime and Videogames were EVIIIILLLLL! Except that he commited the typical mistake of only putting the typical bad examples: Grand Theft Auto on the videogames and Urotsukidoji in the case of anime, and mixing up terms like calling an Otaku a Hikkikomori.. At the end, when people start throwing questions at the presenter, including several who praised the "objectiveness" of the conference, said troper raised up from his chair and asked him: "Excuse me, sir, have you played any videogames or watched any anime?". Said "psychologist" just replied with a simple "No, but I don't need to either play or watch them to know they corrupt our youth". And the troper came back by telling him: "Go play Harvest Moon and tell me about it". Needless to say, the director stepped in and told the psychologist to get out of his school, because he lied and he didn't wanted the school to get corrupted by the influence of liars. Later on, he found out the director of the school actually used to play that same game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I know they're just nerd fantasy. But every single time, they manage to piss me off. Every. Single. Time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This story owns.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

flosofl posted:

I know they're just nerd fantasy. But every single time, they manage to piss me off. Every. Single. Time.

My sighs got louder and my eyes rolled farther into my head with each one. I don't know why this particular group was so incredibly irritating.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

knife posted:

I clamped down on the pain long enough to pull the knife out of my shoulder, give the guy a Kubrick Stare over the tops of my glasses, and ask, "Did it ever occur to you that I might be purely a figment of some sad person's imagination?" and then I disappeared because I don't exist.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You see he broke off the knife in the mugger's shoulder because he knew the mugger might be left handed too.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

quote:

Except that he commited the typical mistake of only putting the typical bad examples: Grand Theft Auto on the videogames and Urotsukidoji in the case of anime, and mixing up terms like calling an Otaku a Hikkikomori.

In what hosed up idiot nerd word is some obscure horror hentai the "typical bad example" of an anime? Also no western psychologist has ever used the term hikikomori ever, once.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Troper tales are my secret pleasure. The best (worst) are the anime ones, where they refer to a character from their favorite anime and/or use anime culture words, which I often have no idea what means. Like the poker story, I have no idea of who Akagi is.

quote:

This troper witnessed something that clearly shows that Reality Is Unrealistic. You see, there is a bully/loser that is always playing poker for money during lunch. He and his group of bullies try to occasionally force someone to play with them, so they can basically steal his money.(4 guys playing poker for money against one. Since they share the money they win from the person they force to play, they always end up winning.) One day, a new guy transfered to this trooper's high school. The bullies invited him to play. He accepted. This trooper felt sorry for the new guy. He wasn't very tall, and wasn't very strong either. Then, at the first hand...He bet twenty dollars. Then, that guy laughed and raised the bet to sixty dollars. IN HIGH SCHOOL. DURING LUNCH. The bullies(and everyone watching the game) stared at him for a couple of seconds. The bullies figured he was bluffing. He wasn't. Then he LAUGHED. An Evil Laugh. This troper asked his friend if the transfer student was called Akagi. Before he could answer, the transfer student decided to give them a chance to get their money back. In Black Jack 21. They lost. Then he laughed histerically, took their money and walked away saying that they didn't know what real gambling was like. I swear, if they ever make a Western adaptation of Akagi, they should hire that guy to play Akagi. I'm dead serious.

or the the conference story, I don't know what a Hikkikomori is or how it differs from an otaku. Yet somehow this makes the stories better in my broken brain.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Atreiden posted:

Troper tales are my secret pleasure. The best (worst) are the anime ones, where they refer to a character from their favorite anime and/or use anime culture words, which I often have no idea what means. Like the poker story, I have no idea of who Akagi is.

or the the conference story, I don't know what a Hikkikomori is or how it differs from an otaku. Yet somehow this makes the stories better in my broken brain.

I love that because he doesn't even name drop the series, even for things I know random names referenced don't usually make sense.

Also Otaku is an idiot anime nerd that occasionally goes outside, hikikomori is an idiot anime nerd that is terrified of the outside world and hasn't left their room in literal years, also known as NEET. Weird people online fetishize it and the ideal of being an entirely broken hermit person. Why, who knows :iiam:

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jul 16, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Akagi is a gambling manga. As expected, it's completely irrelevant to the story but he mentioned it because tropers can't have a single conversation without referencing something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

You see he broke off the knife in the mugger's shoulder because he knew the mugger might be left handed too.

I like how if you imagine that story actually happening, the mugger just sort of jabbed the troper with the knife and then stood there listening while the troper said "Have you considered that I might be left-handed" and then stabbed them.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Xen Tricks posted:

I love that because he doesn't even name drop the series, even for things I know random names referenced don't usually make sense.

Also Otaku is an idiot anime nerd that occasionally goes outside, hikikomori is an idiot anime nerd that is terrified of the outside world and hasn't left their room in literal years, also known as NEET. Weird people online fetishize it and the ideal of being an entirely broken hermit person. Why, who knows :iiam:

No, NEET stands for "not in employment, education, or training" and is someone who is--wait for it--not in employment, education or training. There's overlap between the two groups (in that hikikomori are almost certainly NEET), but they're not the same thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hikikomori basically just means shut-in, but to the extent that you never go outside, and have parents (or other caretakers) who provide for you but otherwise pretend you don't exist. It's an appealing livelihood to a very certain kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Weatherman posted:

No, NEET stands for "not in employment, education, or training" and is someone who is--wait for it--not in employment, education or training. There's overlap between the two groups (in that hikikomori are almost certainly NEET), but they're not the same thing.

Yeah it's not technically the same thing but psychological usage of the term and fat man child usage of the term mean two different things. Most people mentioning NEET in this sort of context consider it pretty much a synonym for hikikomori