Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm really happy someone is actually taking advice in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
June KENPC Rate = $0.004925, so a slight bump.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I got the same. I love setting bookreport at .0045 and then BAM, extra few hundred bucks outta nowhere.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I got $600 more than I expected I'd get :D :D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sup thread. Before I start digging into the OP resources too much, is Pub Yourself Press still active? I assume so since the site's there but uh that was 2500 posts ago :v:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Chokes McGee posted:

Sup thread. Before I start digging into the OP resources too much, is Pub Yourself Press still active? I assume so since the site's there but uh that was 2500 posts ago :v:

We're kind of on vacation since we're at RWA.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EngineerSean posted:

We're kind of on vacation since we're at RWA.

oh um hi

wow this is awkward

I'll just sloooooowly back out of the thread and wait my turn in line then :shobon:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
No worries man. Are you the guy who emailed yesterday? Even when we're not so busy it can take a while for us to get back to people.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EngineerSean posted:

No worries man. Are you the guy who emailed yesterday? Even when we're not so busy it can take a while for us to get back to people.

Yup :)

I swear I wasn't dropping in to pester, I literally had no idea how accurate the OP information is and wanted to make sure I wasn't sending to a dead address. I can wait. Enjoy your semi-vacation!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The OP information is kind of old at this point. Things move quickly in self-pub. No idea who's still active and who isn't among the resource lists.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

The OP information is kind of old at this point. Things move quickly in self-pub. No idea who's still active and who isn't among the resource lists.

https://booksidemanner.com (editor is yours truly, aka Kelly) is active for proofreading, copyediting, and line editing. Slots are available in early August.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Bookside does good work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Bookside does good work.

Agreed. I'm going to be sending her some more stuff in about two weeks, I expect. :)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sundaeeeeee put the Slack in the OP if you wanna. You can kill the IRC info because all the regulars are gone and the channel isn't even registered anymore.

Slack is https://selfpubsa.slack.com and you can email selfpub@mail.com to get in.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ravenkult posted:

Sundaeeeeee put the Slack in the OP if you wanna. You can kill the IRC info because all the regulars are gone and the channel isn't even registered anymore.

Slack is https://selfpubsa.slack.com and you can email selfpub@mail.com to get in.

dis guy's fukkin covers

give him all the moneys imo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What up, thread! I can't shut up about my book!

Here's what I came up with. Yes, I know the Shutterstock watermarks are still there. No, that won't be in the final version. I'm just posting it as a dry run before I shell out my hard earned :10bux:x2 on it.

Blurb
Astin Fell lives the life of a struggling barista until he inexplicably sprouts wings and horns. Now he's the last servant of an unknown goddess, conscripted to fight the Taint---an ancient evil devouring the world one tiny piece at a time. He'll have help: Nemesis, the shotgun-toting, bike-riding Greek goddess of divine punishment; Claudia Fischer, a woman with three different souls bonded inside of her; and his telepathic housecat. And that's good, because he's going to need it.

I'm pretty pleased with the cover, though! And it even sizes down well to 100x60 or what have you. Hopefully y'all agree. The blurb's awkward, though, because of the list at the end. If I cut the names and use commas, it looks like Nemesis is the one with three souls and that's wrong, all wrong, oh gods it's all on fire hooooowwwwww

What do you think, sirs?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

No! Bad!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

What did I do :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

What did I do :(

I can't say but something about that elongated torso sends me to the uncanny valley.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

syscall girl posted:

I can't say but something about that elongated torso sends me to the uncanny valley.

In my defense I was going for something more expressionistic than realistic? If I whiffed I'll go back to the drawing board.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

In my defense I was going for something more expressionistic than realistic? If I whiffed I'll go back to the drawing board.

I'm not trying to offend but as others have said your cover is actually your best shot at getting purchases, neh? You're gonna get people spending about 0.5 seconds looking at it.

If it looks too goofy

Someone back me up here.

And never judge a book by its cover, I know.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

syscall girl posted:

I'm not trying to offend but as others have said your cover is actually your best shot at getting purchases, neh? You're gonna get people spending about 0.5 seconds looking at it.

If it looks too goofy

Someone back me up here.

And never judge a book by its cover, I know.

Nope, no worries! "It's bad" is perfectly okay, that's why I'm here. :) Just trying to pinpoint where my fuckups were so I don't do it again.

e: How's this for a base image instead? (Some of these are probably gonna be real turds since it's my first attempt, please bear with me)

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 17, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Nope, no worries! "It's bad" is perfectly okay, that's why I'm here. :) Just trying to pinpoint where my fuckups were so I don't do it again.

e: How's this for a base image instead? (Some of these are probably gonna be real turds since it's my first attempt, please bear with me)

You might be right that the surreal aspects of the image reflect the content and will attract customers, I really don't know.

:ninja: that looks kind of cool

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The head looks like the top of a horse's head, with ears and a forelock.

Not a judgement, just an observation of what it makes me think of.

Or a Batman mask with a wig glued to the top of it.

Eyes are the windows to the soul, and you can't see the subjects on the cover. A lot of covers feature eyes, without them your protagonist seems alien and unrelatable.

You have to think about what people will think the instant of when they look at your cover. This, in a flash, says "Blue freak in overalls falling off". You want a cover that at a glance says something else (I assume "Taint-fighter and pals").

Again, I am not saying change a thing, I'm just giving some input.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The head looks like the top of a horse's head, with ears and a forelock.

Not a judgement, just an observation of what it makes me think of.

Or a Batman mask with a wig glued to the top of it.

Eyes are the windows to the soul, and you can't see the subjects on the cover. A lot of covers feature eyes, without them your protagonist seems alien and unrelatable.

You have to think about what people will think the instant of when they look at your cover. This, in a flash, says "Blue freak in overalls falling off". You want a cover that at a glance says something else (I assume "Taint-fighter and pals").

Again, I am not saying change a thing, I'm just giving some input.

Yeah. Besides trying quirky (and very bad) arty poo poo, I also got hung up on showing Astin at his worst, i.e. under attack by Taint. So it kind of works based on the book contents but yeah, we have to get them there first.

I think I may have something with the second one, though. It's even got a cat! :3:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

This one is better, plus it already has the cat on it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

The best thing you can do is to find 4-5 books in the market you are targeting, then post links to them here. Model your blurb and cover to make them similar to those books. Ideally those books have good ranks.

You've already written the book, so if you can't find anything similar to your book that is selling, there isn't a whole lot you could do at this point. If you can find books like yours that sell, you want your cover to really give the same vibe.

As for your cover, another thing you are "doing wrong" is the text is just slapped on with no real work. The typography is a big element of a book's cover, and cover artists often spend a good chunk of time getting it to look perfect. Doing a stroke effect on white text looks "non-offensive" (and it's often the best I can do myself as well) but it's not really going to cut it if you want the book to sell.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

angel opportunity posted:

The best thing you can do is to find 4-5 books in the market you are targeting, then post links to them here. Model your blurb and cover to make them similar to those books. Ideally those books have good ranks.

You've already written the book, so if you can't find anything similar to your book that is selling, there isn't a whole lot you could do at this point. If you can find books like yours that sell, you want your cover to really give the same vibe.

As for your cover, another thing you are "doing wrong" is the text is just slapped on with no real work. The typography is a big element of a book's cover, and cover artists often spend a good chunk of time getting it to look perfect. Doing a stroke effect on white text looks "non-offensive" (and it's often the best I can do myself as well) but it's not really going to cut it if you want the book to sell.

Once I find a good image, I'm going to turn it over to Go On Write for a lite commission. I'm sure as poo poo not doing this myself after the first attempt. :v: Let me rustle up some similar links and I'll edit them into this post.

e:
Here's some similar genre books that caught my eye as a reader (and I'm probably going to buy the first one, so there you go!). Almost all, of course, center around women. Oh well.

A Demon Bound
Fated
Hidden Blade - Apparently "Vampire Suspense" is a genre now and this guy's on top of it!
Shadow Born

Ironically I'd read all of these except the third one since it revolves around vampires---which, of course, is why it's the #1 seller. Eesh. Regardless this should be a good start. I hope. Maybe? i have no idea oh no

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 17, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Man, I was just thinking of Molly Millions

How she had her Oakleys implanted into her face so no one could ever ever ever see her soul again

When she was saving that kid, and the kid asked 'how do you cry through those?'

'I had my tear ducts rerouted into my salivary glands so I spit instead'

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

I need to read that again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

This one is better, plus it already has the cat on it.

Already taken :negative:

e: Something like this is probably the vibe I should be shooting for. The genre/material seems pretty similar as well.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 17, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Chokes McGee posted:

Already taken :negative:

e: Something like this is probably the vibe I should be shooting for. The genre/material seems pretty similar as well.

10k free rank is effectively a dead book. There are only so many stock photos,titles, and cover elements. You shouldn't deliberately rip somebody off, but you also shouldn't consider an element completely if limits because one person used it in the past.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EngineerSean posted:

10k free rank is effectively a dead book. There are only so many stock photos,titles, and cover elements. You shouldn't deliberately rip somebody off, but you also shouldn't consider an element completely if limits because one person used it in the past.

Oh ho ho.

I'm going through a few other images right now and seeing how I feel about them. If/when I get the Slack channel invite, I'll come over and pester people there instead of spamming the forums. Until then I'll probably keep digging over the weekend.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Try #3. Obviously the initial photoshop is poo poo, it's more a concept check. I'd be turning the individual images over to GOW for processing and adding text.

I think this one's got potential, I'm also basing it somewhat off the cover to Lilith Saintcrow's Jill Kismet series (the entire collection). Astin's not that badass/actiony but I think the idea above captures him pretty well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That's also really bad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Give them this one

amazon.com/dp/B01I4YBIQS

And tell them what your character is like, then let them figure out the cover.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drone posted:

That's also really bad.

Your really bad :mad:

This is hard!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are you married to that pen name? It's fine and all but like 95% of your audience is not going to have a clue how it's pronounced.

Edit: not trying to be a dick here at all, I'm speaking as a consumer. If I were Joe Schmoe recommending this book to a friend, I would default to saying Cletus Capple because I have no idea how it's actually supposed to be pronounced.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drone posted:

Are you married to that pen name? It's fine and all but like 95% of your audience is not going to have a clue how it's pronounced.

Edit: not trying to be a dick here at all, I'm speaking as a consumer. If I were Joe Schmoe recommending this book to a friend, I would default to saying Cletus Capple because I have no idea how it's actually supposed to be pronounced.

I kind of am. The pen name means Horse Feathers in Irish :)

I'm okay with people mispronouncing it as long as it doesn't get in the way of sales. "It's a really good book named Tainted by this Capall guy I don't know how to pronounce it really" is good enough imo but if it's going to block people picking it up then I need to seriously rethink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

How broke are you? Buy a premade or hire somebody.