Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Howling Man posted:

Christian Slater is so good playing the devil on the shoulder.

Who else has been listening to that Phil Collins a lot since the episode aired?

I listen to it all the time. Great loving song.

And a great loving show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
It looks like Elliot is getting picked up by FBI in the next episode, I imagine due to gideon shooting, so the idea of him staying with his mom as a halfway house seems more plausible than a psych ward. It definitely rules out prison.

Personally I just think he's created his own little mental psych ward or is in a prison of the mind due to his mental state and possible meds to get rid of his dual personalities. It could also all be a red herring. Wouldn't put it past esmail to mess with us like that.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 16, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Catsplosion posted:

It looks like Elliot is getting picked up by FBI in the next episode, I imagine due to gideon shooting, so the idea of him staying with his mom as a halfway house seems more plausible than a psych ward. It definitely rules out prison.

Personally I just think he's created his own little mental psych ward or is in a prison of the mind due to his mental state and possible meds to get rid of his dual personalities. It could also all be a red herring. Wouldn't put it past esmail to mess with us like that.

Now that you've brought that up, I really hope that's it. Letting us find patterns where there are none. Giving us a taste of the experience. That'd be great.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Howling Man posted:

Christian Slater is so good playing the devil on the shoulder.
Yeah he's great in this role.

Elliott being with "his mom" is so hosed up. Previously he said that as a boy he would choose the train car most likely to crash because he'd rather die than go home to her. And now she's his safe space. While Season 1 was like Fight Club we are now past where that movie ended and into unchartered mental territory.
Elliott laughing with that old music playing was very effective - in creeping me out.

Everything this season has been cranked up. The $5 million ransom was just another prank by F Society to gently caress with E Corp who took it so deadly seriously and hoped the payoff would work.
The psychologist storyline has a lot more tension underneath the sessions as they play their tug of war.

I don't even know where Angela's head is now. Is she on the inside of Evil Corp with some kind of plan for more revenge or is she really hoping for a career? Is E Corp using her for her connection to Elliott?
And poor Gideon, I did not see that conclusion coming until seconds before it happened :cry: He was the only person Elliott had positive internal monologue about.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 16, 2016

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....
I remember watching the first episode of Mr. Robot because my roommate said it was good and that he thought I would like it. I didn't understand what was going on in the first couple of episodes, but the cinematography and acting were spot on, I loved it. So, I watched the whole first season and thought it was amazing. I think I have watched that first season about twelve times or so, and still find things I didn't notice during the previous viewings.

What I really like about the new season so far, is that feeling of not knowing what is going on. It feels like I'm starting over, I know the characters and their back stories, but I'm still left guessing.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Jeep posted:

Listen to the sound of the door slamming when Elliot enters the scene :ssh:

That scene (and sound effect) along with stuff like basketball in The Yard, the cafeteria he thinks is a diner, the strict routine that isn't really his routine, and the bed-making all had me convinced he's in a minimum-security prison. Gideon coming to get Elliot to admit he wasn't part of the hack makes it seem like everyone else knows Elliot was in on it, and probably related to him being in jail. If not that, then related to Tyrell missing.

But they don't have enough information or a confession, so they have his old therapist come, hoping he'll open up to her.

Edit: Okay looking back at the basketball stuff and how lovely everyone is playing, I'm leaning more towards asylum, but with the same end goal

LentThem fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it being too whiny to ask that "looks like so and so is happening in the next episode" be spoilered?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The institution idea makes sense, but then who the hell is Craig and what's he doing there with a dog?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

The institution idea makes sense, but then who the hell is Craig and what's he doing there with a dog?

Yea, people were saying Craig is an orderly who has some sort of side thing he's working on, which would make sense, but no loving institution is going to let someone bring their dog in.

Even less so for a prison. And what about the pyro girl with the red wheelbarrow? Are people assuming she's completely not real because Elliot called her his "totem?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually, as someone who's been institutionalized (briefly), they do actually let dogs in as therapy animals. Usually once or twice a week some places let trained volunteers bring in well behaved friendly dogs for people to pet/be around. So he could be using that as a pretense to try to recruit Elliot.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Air is lava! posted:

Wow, I have one lovely opinion based on personal taste. That was just rude and uncalled for.
The season didn't grab me so far at all. And if it actually is just my problem, I guess I have to drop it.

Lol that's how you respond to the most basic of burns?

Good god how many participation ribbons of yours are hanging in your parents hallway?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Actually, as someone who's been institutionalized (briefly), they do actually let dogs in as therapy animals. Usually once or twice a week some places let trained volunteers bring in well behaved friendly dogs for people to pet/be around. So he could be using that as a pretense to try to recruit Elliot.

Is there therapeutic burning poo poo in wheelbarrows too?

E: VVV After a certain point, "X thing Elliot sees isn't real" becomes really lazy writing. He's got Mr. Robot already, how many other visual hallucinations does he need?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 16, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It could be that neither the dog nor the burning are real, that Eliott sees the patients around according to their craziness or something (she is really a pyromaniac, the guy has an imaginary dog friend, and Leo really is obsessed by Seinfeld). And maybe whatever that the dog guy is trying to convince him into doing is an escape plan from the institution.

oh god, you guys sold me into asylum theory, but I still hope is not true

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She was burning "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV After a certain point, "X thing Elliot sees isn't real" becomes really lazy writing. He's got Mr. Robot already, how many other visual hallucinations does he need?

I agree. That's whyI hope is not true, but rewatching the premiere looking for it, I've found it very plausible

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I doubt that he's in prison. Elliot's conflict with Mr Robot hinges on the fact that Elliot could break his routine at any time but chooses not to in order to keep Mr Robot at bay, which makes it more likely that that he's voluntarily committed himself somewhere. The Gideon scene also rules out prison, because why would he threaten someone with an FBI investigation if they were already in jail?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

WampaLord posted:

Is there therapeutic burning poo poo in wheelbarrows too?

The thing about this show is that the writers and show runners are REALLY good. Having Mr. Robot be a hallucination goes straight into the barrel of the overused tropes, but they executed it better than anyone has before, so it's good. I have faith if the asylum theory is true it'll be executed well enough to be entertaining.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It was never really a question that Mr Robot was real or not it was a question whether we the viewer would see Elliot realize it. Then at some point the tension arises from the fact that we do have a unreliable narrator like Elliot which causes the viewer to question everything we see pretty much involving Elliot.

It's really great writing and a excellent way to build tension through out the series.

There's a great story about Gene Wilder and how he insisted that Willy Wonka come out and pretend to be disabled with a cane then fall then stand up and be fine. The reason? " Because then we would never know if he was telling the truth" is the quote I believe.

Basically, because of that moment the viewer questions Willy Wonka through out the film and does not take him at face value.

It's the same thing will Elliot. We know he's a unreliable narrator which is where a lot of the tension arises. The viewer cannot trust what we are seeing because of Elliot.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
My guess: In the arcade, Elliott and Tyrell wrestled over the gun. It went off, injuring Elliott. Wellick made it look like a suicide attempt and ran.

There are a lot of modern (60s and 70s) literary references, it's hard to say what they're all pointing to. ee cummings, Waiting for Godot, The Red Wheelbarrow by Willaim Carlos Williams; works in which form and content affect each other to create deeper meaning.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Binary Logic posted:

My guess: In the arcade, Elliott and Tyrell wrestled over the gun. It went off, injuring Elliott. Wellick made it look like a suicide attempt and ran.

But we have Elliot waking up by himself in Wellick's escalade and wandering around trying to figure out what happened for the season finale last year.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Binary Logic posted:

There are a lot of modern (60s and 70s) literary references, it's hard to say what they're all pointing to. ee cummings, Waiting for Godot, The Red Wheelbarrow by Willaim Carlos Williams; works in which form and content affect each other to create deeper meaning.

That guy with the dog calls Elliott chief, which, if you're looking for the asylum angle, hits pretty on the nose.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I'm just completely oblivious to a ludicrous degree, but I watched season one going in blind and just went with the flow, never putting in any thought as to whether Elliot was Mr. Robot, even though he asks that specific question in one of the early episodes, if I remember correctly. Like, I guessed that was a possibility, but there was always some other story or urgent thing going on that was in the foreground so I didn't really think about it.

Then I started that episode with the cold open where Darlene and Angela are taking a ballet class together like they were longtime friends, and it was like slamming on the brakes. I thought to myself "Wait, what is this" and started scrutinizing everything after that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK, this is getting ridiculous. Is there even a single scene that didn't have asylum hints?

Asylum theory is gonna be the distraction this season so that people don't see the real plot twist coming.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I'm just completely oblivious to a ludicrous degree, but I watched season one going in blind and just went with the flow, never putting in any thought as to whether Elliot was Mr. Robot, even though he asks that specific question in one of the early episodes, if I remember correctly. Like, I guessed that was a possibility, but there was always some other story or urgent thing going on that was in the foreground so I didn't really think about it.

Then I started that episode with the cold open where Darlene and Angela are taking a ballet class together like they were longtime friends, and it was like slamming on the brakes. I thought to myself "Wait, what is this" and started scrutinizing everything after that

I only watched s1 a few weeks ago, and had it spoiled for me by the person who recommended it to me, who said "there's some crazy tyler durden poo poo in this show". He never said who it was, but when you are looking for a tyler durden situation, is very easy to notice all the hints during all scenes with Mr Robot (the way nobody seems to react to what he says, even when he being loud; the way nobody talks directly to him or even looks directly to him when Elliot is present etc). I also guessed he was his father in that scene when he throws Elliot at the stones

But I never guessed that Darlene was his sister, so there was still this twist for me. And I really liked how it changes her character completely but it without feeling artificial. Because at first she is just like the crazy free girl who takes a lot of liberties and forces intimacy with some guy he just met, and her character feels natural and her scenes works. And then she was actually his sister all along and still her character and her actions feels natural and her scenes still works.

Someone said above that "tyler Durden" is now a somewhat overused trope but they handled it pretty well and it was good, and I agree 100%

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The first time I watched it, I got the feeling he was in a halfway house or something like that. When we first see Ray and he's defusing the basketball situation, Leon calls Ray 'sir'. That stood out to me, and after a second viewing, I could see it being a low risk psych ward.

But who knows with this show. I'm oblivious as gently caress, and the first season surprised me with both the Mr. Robot being in Elliott's head, and Darlene being his sister.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Could also be a drug rehab center. The church meetings kind of resemble AA meetings

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

There's some other weird things as well like we never see Elliot take any medications.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The more I think about the institution theory the more it makes sense. In addition to the other things people pointed out, there's also a huge clue:

Why are the basketball players SO BAD at basketball?? Probably because they are mental patients.

There's also the big red phone Elliott answers at the end. And Leon is probably watching Seinfeld reruns on a communal tv.

I'd like to think it's all just a metaphor for him institutionalizing himself, but i dunno.

I thought something was sort of suspect with the whole situation but when I noticed the basketball players were mostly throwing up bricks and a few people were aimlessly wandering the court and not quite involved in the game I was certain that the world he is in is a delusion. I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Robot's take on On Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

waitwhatno posted:

I don't think it was supposed to be a plot twist at all. It was confirmed in one of the the very first episodes, when Elliot jumped off that pier and there were witnesses around him saying that he jumped and wasn't pushed by Mr. Robot.

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all. Mr. Robot pushed him off the pier at the very end of episode 2, then Mr. Robot was revealed to be Elliot's imaginary dead father in episode 9, and finally in episode 10 Elliot looked himself up and found the youtube video of himself jumping off of the pier.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Varam posted:

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all. Mr. Robot pushed him off the pier at the very end of episode 2, then Mr. Robot was revealed to be Elliot's imaginary dead father in episode 9, and finally in episode 10 Elliot looked himself up and found the youtube video of himself jumping off of the pier.

The best hints I remember are in the episode when Mr Robot shows up at Allsafe then they go get an Appletini and you realize Elliot is just there by himself with the bartender.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also, the extent of Elliot's delusion was such that, before the truth was spelled out for him, he might look at the youtube video of himself jumping off the pier and mentally see a video of Mr. Robot pushing him instead. Remember, he literally couldn't recognize that Mr. Robot looked like his own father, despite the fact that he remembers his father vividly.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I have a friend that has been having the production crew take over their block in Brooklyn and they have been filming at a hospital a lot this year

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Varam posted:

Nope. In the following episode where he wakes up at the hospital, he has to speak to a psychiatrist before he is allowed to leave because witnesses at the pier reported that he jumped and there was no one with him that could have pushed him.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

waitwhatno posted:

Nope. In the following episode where he wakes up at the hospital, he has to speak to a psychiatrist before he is allowed to leave because witnesses at the pier reported that he jumped and there was no one with him that could have pushed him.

No, that literally never happens. Here's the exchange between Elliot and Krista at the hospital:

Krista: Do you remember requesting me from the staff? You requested me because the police said --
Elliot: I got jumped by a bunch of kids, it's not the end of the world
Krista: They wanted to do a full drug panel, and you refused.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

kill me now posted:

I have a friend that has been having the production crew take over their block in Brooklyn and they have been filming at a hospital a lot this year

Are they still filming? It's kind of atypical for cable shows to film during the season isn't it? But they had their order extended so that might explain it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Varam posted:

No, that literally never happens. Here's the exchange between Elliot and Krista at the hospital:

Krista: Do you remember requesting me from the staff? You requested me because the police said --
Elliot: I got jumped by a bunch of kids, it's not the end of the world
Krista: They wanted to do a full drug panel, and you refused.

I dunno, maybe I made the witness part up in my mind. What definitely happened is that the hospital put him on suicide watch and tried to do a drug screening because of what police told them. It was at least heavily implied that he jumped.

I only remember that when I watched that scene it completely removed any doubt that they are doing Fight Club.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

I dunno, maybe I made the witness part up in my mind. What definitely happened is that the hospital put him on suicide watch and tried to do a drug screening because of what police told them. It was at least heavily implied that he jumped.

I only remember that when I watched that scene it completely removed any doubt that they are doing Fight Club.

I don't remember anything about suicide watch...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Nichael posted:

Are they still filming? It's kind of atypical for cable shows to film during the season isn't it? But they had their order extended so that might explain it.

I believe they just finished up shooting recently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still really confused about how the episode order got extended so close to the premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm still really confused about how the episode order got extended so close to the premiere.

The episode order didn't actually get extended; the season is still 10 episodes, but the premiere/finale are both two hours long.

• Locked thread