Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Azhais posted:

The most tragic modding news is that EdB is done and not updating anything for A14 :rip:

Some of EdB's most popular mods are features of the base game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

Some of EdB's most popular mods are features of the base game now.

Unfortunately neither Prepare Carefully (the character end of it) nor his better mod ordering mods are in there, which are the ones I used the most :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Numbers, the mod that lets you sort your work panel by skill in a particular area, is updated and all. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16558.0

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

Mods made checking stats easier.

Someone already made my hangover idea for a scenario. Also there are mods on the Workshop. CCL still needs to be installed manually because they say it has issues with the Steam Workshop. Probably because it includes non-standard mod files or something.

The dev said they're opposed to putting it on the workshop because you can't set stuff to not autoupdate, potentially breaking saves and stuff.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is the workshop actually implemented? I see all the ingame buttons but there doesn't appear to actually be a Rimworld workshop section.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

packetmantis posted:

Is the workshop actually implemented? I see all the ingame buttons but there doesn't appear to actually be a Rimworld workshop section.

It is. I had to change some of the sorting options to get the mods to show up for whatever reason.

A few of the decent core mods I like are there, like embrasures and vegetable garden and my new favorite mod "Work Tab". Finally I can micromanage my job priorities- haulers can haul materials to blueprints, but they're not permitted to build, that sort of thing. Also makes priorities 1-9 instead of 1-4.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So glad you can just disable ship part and mechanoid drop incidents, that scenario editor is the poo poo

Tony Montana posted:

So the infestation thing seems like poo poo. They're loving strong, it's pretty much hosed a colony that in every other way was solid.

The bugs gently caress colonists right up (need more melee guys I guess) and it's deep in my mountain base which makes it a mess.

Ugh.

You can disable the Infestation incident as well!

e: oh you can't disable the mechanoid drop, oh well that wasn't the really lovely unfun incident anyway

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 16, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And Rimworld's top of the steam charts.

Big surprise there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Just played an hour with the rich guy start. It's pretty fun once a few wanderers come in, though my poor monkey died instantly to a panther. The Katamari soundtrack is a bit too fitting for this game though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm having some fun with a tribal start, having really really slow research is kind of interesting, as is not having electricity or anything for a while.

As tribals also get tribal backgrounds and thus tribal skillsets, you tend to get a lot of good animal handlers too so it's interesting trying to offset their limitations with that.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ludeon servers getting absolutely shitwrecked over the launch! At least workshop is up for some of the mods.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if people redeeming their Steam keys counts toward the sales rankings? I hope not; I want this game to be doing well, and if it's only "number 1" through retroactive sales' conversions, that's still good for visibility but not so much the devs' bank accounts.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I guess roofs aren't automatically put in place anymore? Is that why I can't see room temperature on hover? We could do that before, right?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DopeGhoti posted:

I wonder if people redeeming their Steam keys counts toward the sales rankings? I hope not; I want this game to be doing well, and if it's only "number 1" through retroactive sales' conversions, that's still good for visibility but not so much the devs' bank accounts.

I dunno if that is the case, but even if it is, visibility plus a review rating of "Overwhelmingly positive" will get a lot of new sales just from the curiosity factor.

spider wisdom posted:

I guess roofs aren't automatically put in place anymore? Is that why I can't see room temperature on hover? We could do that before, right?

Eh? You can still see a room's temp, lower right above the speed controls.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Regardless the roofs need to be built now. No more magical venting of heat from fire traps around ship parts

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes you should be able to see a tile's temperature whether it's roofed or not. Also, yes roofs have to be constructed/deconstructed now - no materials required but there is a little labor cost now intended to make indoor fires more of a threat.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm having some fun with a tribal start, having really really slow research is kind of interesting, as is not having electricity or anything for a while.

As tribals also get tribal backgrounds and thus tribal skillsets, you tend to get a lot of good animal handlers too so it's interesting trying to offset their limitations with that.

Yeah imo the game is wayyyyyyyyyyy more interesting and challenging to get going with tribals than the other options.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I can see a temp readout on hover but it seems to be global — doesn't account for indoors vs. outdoors. There's a number in parentheses just before the temp, but it's usually way off from what it should be. Dunno. I'll poke around a little more.

e: I'm dumb, gotta build a roof first.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 16, 2016

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I havent played sense A8. whats a good mod list? I suddenly find myself unable to play without being able to customize my helpless little bean people

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

winterwerefox posted:

I havent played sense A8. whats a good mod list? I suddenly find myself unable to play without being able to customize my helpless little bean people

Unfortunately the customizing mod isn't being updated. I imagine someone will pick it up.

I personally enjoy hospitality and vegetable garden (and tilled soil I suppose as you'll end up with a million crops) as a couple of basics. All of those are on the workshop.

As an aside, anyone been having problems with prisoners? Mine don't eat. Food is dropped off, but it's ignored, eventually they pass out and a warden feeds them and drags them to bed, but this isn't ideal (and due to mood they keep trying to escape as a result).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can force specific traits for your embark team, as well as all the equipment and supplies which is like 80% what I wanted from Prepare Carefully anyway. Makes it a lot less tedious to reroll the random ones when you don't have to worry about making sure everyone has Cannibal and Gay

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well I just bought this, is there a getting started guide somewhere? I'm starting with a classic, no-mods kind of thing to get a feel for the game and I just got confronted with the screen where I randomize my characters and I have no idea what I want or don't want. Besides, according to the previous poster, gay cannibals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just started playing this again after some months hiatus.
There are two Grizzly Bears hanging around my house, should I be worried? They don't seem hostile so far.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Gilok posted:

Well I just bought this, is there a getting started guide somewhere? I'm starting with a classic, no-mods kind of thing to get a feel for the game and I just got confronted with the screen where I randomize my characters and I have no idea what I want or don't want. Besides, according to the previous poster, gay cannibals.

Generally you want a good spread of almost everything between the 3 starter pawns. The little flame marks show how fast they learn, so even if one starts lowish they can learn quicker if they have a lot of two point skills. You also have to look out for their traits which enable or disable some of what they can do, such as not fighting, not doing dumb labor like hauling (which is very important). So watch out for having too many negative traits.

When I'm starting a colony I usually aim for one with at least one with social / medicine / whatever.

Another with growing / animals / and able to all the dumb labor.

And the last with mining / construction / crafting.

And between the 3 you probably want 1 or 2 with some combat ability.

Those give me easy archetypes to differentiate between my starter colonists. The doctor, the farmer, the miner, etc. Or any combination of those basic skills depending on what you get.

If you want to concentrate on building a colony only I think that's a good place to start. But if you want to play the game for real it's more fun to just take what you get and make it work, although I generally try to get one really good grower or miner depending on the biome I plan to start on. Biome choices can make a huge difference on what to prioritize. Like you only desperately need a good miner if you're starting in large hills or mountainous areas.

On the other hand it's easy to sit there for 10 mins trying to get great rolls, but part of the fun is having useless, crazy, violent dudes. I'd recommend when starting out not to worry too much about the perfect composition if you want a challenge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

There are two Grizzly Bears hanging around my house, should I be worried? They don't seem hostile so far.

They will attack when they get hungry.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Like the guy above said, you can keep an eye on their hunger levels. But what is more likely to happen is you'll get distracted and they'll eat one of your pets. If you attack them, they'll be very likely to both attack. Good luck.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I used "boatmurdered" as a seed in worldgen and ended up settling in a jungle biome. Not very far into the game an event drove the local elephants insane and they promptly grinded my colonists down to a fine paste.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
As much as I like this game I think it could definitely use a more simplified way of generating your starting colonists. It's such a chore hitting random until you find the right stats for 3 different characters. It would be nice if there was a way to just customize them like say I want this guy to be good at such and such. Perhaps a way to just distribute points as you see fit. The UI as a whole needs some attention and I hope it's something they intend on addressing in the near future.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I used "boatmurdered" as a seed in worldgen and ended up settling in a jungle biome. Not very far into the game an event drove the local elephants insane and they promptly grinded my colonists down to a fine paste.

Appropriate

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

SuicideSnowman posted:

As much as I like this game I think it could definitely use a more simplified way of generating your starting colonists. It's such a chore hitting random until you find the right stats for 3 different characters. It would be nice if there was a way to just customize them like say I want this guy to be good at such and such. Perhaps a way to just distribute points as you see fit. The UI as a whole needs some attention and I hope it's something they intend on addressing in the near future.

That was the prepare carefully mod that worked as of alpha 13 but is no longer in development. The author aside did not release the source code, :rip:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

A pair of beautiful gay men live in my colony. They hooked up and spent all night loving in the communal dorms. After breakfast, the next day, one had his arm bitten off by a wolf.

:allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

To be honest if you're just getting started I highly encourage you to try the tribal preset, because it has a much more focused set of early goals (make some rooms and beds, collect some food, make some spears/bows etc). You can certainly jump right in and start with the higher tech poo poo like solar panels and running electric cable and all that but it's a lot more laid back to just not have to worry about that until later. It's also a lot easier to learn to micromanage all your various jobs that have to get done with 5 people rather than 3.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

A pair of beautiful gay men live in my colony. They hooked up and spent all night loving in the communal dorms. After breakfast, the next day, one had his arm bitten off by a wolf.

:allears:

rimworld.txt good story

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

vandalism posted:

That was the prepare carefully mod that worked as of alpha 13 but is no longer in development. The author aside did not release the source code, :rip:

quote:

I've been doing some second-guessing on my decision to not update Prepare Carefully for Alpha 14. I have not made a final decision on what to do, but I'm in the process of making things easier for other people to pick up and continue with the mod (or to create a derivative work).

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I went and looked at the mod forums, he released the source code and a version of whatever he had ready for alpha 14

(I am using this to cheat)

https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm super bummed because I was extremely excited for A14 but they sent me a steam key that had already been redeemed. I'm waiting for a response from their help guy but I don't want to bother starting up the non-steam version. :smith:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had a wanderer join my colony completely buck-rear end naked. I'm on an ice sheet and it's -11 degrees Fahrenheit outside. She froze to death before she even made it to the village. I'm just curious as to how the hell she even got here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

She was fully dressed right before she hit your map but went nuts and ripped off all her clothes like your own colonists probably do, mine do it all the time

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm sad Community Core Library isn't on Steam Workshop yet.

Also, the mod menu in the game desperately needs click and drag reordering instead of needing to click little arrows a million times.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Roadie posted:

I'm sad Community Core Library isn't on Steam Workshop yet.

Also, the mod menu in the game desperately needs click and drag reordering instead of needing to click little arrows a million times.

They aren't putting it on the Steam Workshop yet because a update to the CCL can break saves.

Also they "Say" it won't work on the Steam workshop because of the way it's coded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok I tamed the Grizzly Bears, but now some of my medicine is missing. Do Grizzly Bears eat medicine?

Edit: nvm, it just hadn't been hauled after I moved my stockpile.
Edit2: Help, I'm being overrun by chickens

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 17, 2016