Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love well done fight-genre shounen and AoT as it is now even fails as one of those

It could be a tense, fast-moving thriller but instead it's all about blue balls, fakeout death tension, and everybody's expecting an anticlimactic cop-out at the basement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's not tense, it completely deflates the tension that was created when both of them decided to sacrifice themselves to create some video game type moral choice. I don't even care which one of them gets the serum and which one dies because as far as I'm concerned, they should already be dead. In fact, now I'm thinking that the one that doesn't get the serum will still live somehow anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I Love Annie May posted:

The latest chapter was terrific and I don't even understand why everyone here hates it. Is it because of the cliffhanger? I get why people are so pissed at mule titan but that last page was one of the best tense moment this series ever had and people complaining that the villains have the upper hand are just unbelievably silly. Would you rather have Eren steamroll every single enemy like he's Naruto or something like that?

It was supposed to be a loving heroes sacrifice of two pivotal characters and sitting there going "Uh welllll, I guess we can bring one of them back?" To end it and set tension for Levi and Eren to bitch at each other for 10 pages next chapter is loving stupid. Part of the reason the last chapter was so good is because we saw a character give his life to give the humans a definitive leg up on the Titans which they haven't had since fuckin... I can't even think of one. Even catching Annie wasn't that much of a feather in their cap since she's encased herself in Titanite rn.

So yes when loving Reiner gets taken AGAIN and monkey trouble gets away with murder AGAIN and we are now left with them trying to undo Erwin or Armin's death because God for loving bid you have stakes in this or else it's gonna piss off some fans it's pretty god drat lovely.

In fact the only way this ends up okay is if they give the loving serum to no one and let them both die or give it to Sasha and she goes on to start being a more competent Titan shifter than Eren because she bites things good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I never thought I'd see Zero Time Dilemma crossover with Attack on Titan, but here we are. Decision Time!

Carlos titan in a firefighter suit breaks down the wall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It'd rule if they just both die anyways, and then what the gently caress is humanity going to do when both their main strategists are dead

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

It'd rule if they just both die anyways, and then what the gently caress is humanity going to do when both their main strategists are dead

The thing is, if that was going to happen, Isayama would almost certainly have just had them be dead to begin with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I Love Annie May posted:

The latest chapter was terrific and I don't even understand why everyone here hates it. Is it because of the cliffhanger? I get why people are so pissed at mule titan but that last page was one of the best tense moment this series ever had and people complaining that the villains have the upper hand are just unbelievably silly. Would you rather have Eren steamroll every single enemy like he's Naruto or something like that?

Eh, I also liked the ending (even though I'm 95% certain Armin will get chosen, I'm not sure how they'll manage to convince or subdue Levi, so that's something to look forward to), but everything before the ending was really lame.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I didn't mind the "one step forward, two steps back" story beats that much, but the previous chapter was actually great and this one just shits all over it for cheap drama. Now we're going to get 50 pages of people arguing until they decide who to save and then in september we'll get to see if it worked or not.

It's disheartening when a monthly 50 page series has less progression in any given chapter than MHA, a weekly shonen with half the pagecount per chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schwarzwald posted:

The thing is, if that was going to happen, Isayama would almost certainly have just had them be dead to begin with.

What kind of logic is this? The deaths hit harder if you give the readers hope that they'll survive first. This is not a great time for that kind of moment though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isn't attack on Titan the guys first series or something? Not to excuse him for it but I wonder if the series blowing up has any effect on the current weird arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xun posted:

Isn't attack on Titan the guys first series or something? Not to excuse him for it but I wonder if the series blowing up has any effect on the current weird arc.

It has, he already blew his cover by saying that he initially was going to end it much much darker with most characters dying terribly, but it becoming so popular changed things

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, BRUTAL DEATHS FOR EVERYONE doesn't sound fun , but the opposite really sucks too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well it wasn't going to be a series where the heroes win. But now that has possibly changed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure he was going to pull an Muv-Luv Alternative with everyone dying in the final push and only Eren surviving to live to tell the tale to his protegés as he's become too old to fight.

You guys are still being way too hard on this.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I'm pretty sure he was going to pull an Muv-Luv Alternative with everyone dying in the final push and only Eren surviving to live to tell the tale to his protegés as he's become too old to fight.

I dunno the story's always been pretty realistic to deaths, but Erwin still breathing with his guts missing and Armin being crisped to death

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Armin surviving is the first time this series has really lost me when it comes to death. That poo poo is unbelievable and also feels thematically weak. Armin died about as firmly and fully as a character can die both in story and in theme and then nope lol alive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not just that it's a bad chapter (but it is), but it's a bad chapter that is also a very key moment of the storyline.

I'm not going to write off the series just yet, but it is really concerning. I'm worried that when Attack on Titan is over, we'll look back on this arc as when it finally fell apart.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

At least that Military Police guy died for real

I forgot his name

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not just that it's a bad chapter (but it is), but it's a bad chapter that is also a very key moment of the storyline.

I'm not going to write off the series just yet, but it is really concerning. I'm worried that when Attack on Titan is over, we'll look back on this arc as when it finally fell apart.

It's like the doflamingo fight in one piece where it had a distinct ending point and then for pretty much no good reason continued on way past that. It ruins the pacing and immersion into the story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

At least that Military Police guy died for real

I forgot his name

Hannes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Baal posted:

Hannes

I think he meant Marlow

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he meant Marlow

I was sad that both of them died but I understood it needed to happen

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WAIT WHY DON'T THEY BRING BACK MARLOW INSTEAD

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Surprise twist: The mule titan is going to take the serum and give it to Bert.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait I just realized Reiner lost again. I wonder if Zeke is going to try to have him kill- no wait main characters don't die.

Edit: I do think its kind of a cop out that Armin is still alive, because as it was pointed out this would have been an incredible death that changes the entire dynamic of the story and Armin continuing on from here doesn't feel great after his heroic and selfless sacrifice for victory. That being said I do like the fact it creates a wedge between Mikasa, Eren, and Levi.

I hope Erwin is the one who gets the serum (even though I know he's not) because as I've said before, this is a guy who feels he should be punished for all the sacrifice he's asked for himself and humanity, and a fitting "punishment" would be to survive the series.

But yeah you guys are being too hard on it. We gotta see in future chapters if it plays out well. I wasn't sold on Levi Ackerman and Kenny when it was revealed but ended up enjoying it down the road. There is a lot of interesting ways this could play out. For instance Armin's brush with death could change him, and all characters come to admit they saved the wrong person with the serum.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 17, 2016

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm actually okay with Reiner not dying because his arc doesn't seem done. And while I suspect Armin will be the one to survive, didn't Isayama say at some point that there'd be a wedge driven between him and Eren? This seems like a very big wedge.

I'm probably most excited for reading Ymir's letter though, that'll be interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reiner getting taken out, escaping, getting back into it, getting taken out again, and then escaping AGAIN deflates the tension badly though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Watch Bertolt escape while everyone fights over the serum.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Armin gets the serum, but instead of eating Bertolt, he eats Erin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Atreiden posted:

Armin gets the serum, but instead of eating Bertolt, he eats Erin.

This would be acceptable, and hilarious

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They both get the serum and are pitted against each other in a race to eat bert, the winner eats the loser and inherits their memories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Armin combined with Levi. The ultimate warrior - brains + brawn.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i hope the basement has a nuke in it and they dont know what it is so they accidentally activate it and kill this series forever

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
First the Kentucky Fried Titan.
Now Cajun fried Armin.
Is this a cooking anime?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mandatory lesbian posted:

i hope the basement has a nuke in it and they dont know what it is so they accidentally activate it and kill this series forever

Ah, the turn a gundam approach

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mordaedil posted:

The fact that a series called "Muv-Luv" ended up becoming incredibly grimdark makes me smile every time I think about it.

It's like a metaphor for humanity or something

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Levi or Mikasa should take the serum and see if the ackerman bloodline is the one that gives you the shifter ability.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Levi or Mikasa should take the serum and see if the ackerman bloodline is the one that gives you the shifter ability.

Levi was adopted, wasn't he?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Levi was adopted, wasn't he?

Yes but his mother was an ackerman prostitute. Kenny Ackerman, his mother's brother, adopted him when she died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

The fact that a series called "Muv-Luv" ended up becoming incredibly grimdark makes me smile every time I think about it.

It's like a metaphor for humanity or something

Now available on Steam.

The same company also produced Rumbling Hearts, an anime about a guy loving his comatose girlfriends best friend because she's been in coma for like 2 years and they have to pretend they aren't loving while everyone knows they are.