Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zetsubou-san posted:

someone with more modding know-how to answer this:

I'm pretty sure you can mod the artifacts to have a fuel value - but can you lock fuel items into being used in only certain objects?

Artifacts are the ingredients for a recipe which yields a Reactor Fuel Tablet (or whatever) that is consumed by the Not A Giant Pile Of Personal Fusion Reactors structure, which generates electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
How's that for timing. I refreshed the Factorio mods site and Gotlag posted a new one... First download

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Can that be installed in a game with Rail Tanker currently running without going fubar?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It does nothing that Rail Tanker doesn't, with the exception that tank wagons can be (un)loaded when stopped for signals, not just at stations.

I made it partly for fun and partly because Rail Tanker's code is old as poo poo and so doesn't take advantage of 0.13 features. The biggest example of this is the unit numbers that 0.13 makes accessible - now entities like buildings and units have a unique ID number, perfect for using as a key in a table. Rail Tanker used an array containing pairs of entity references; to get a reference to a particular storage tank it had to iterate over the array and compare the stored wagon entity to the one it was trying to find the tank for.

Catts posted:

Can that be installed in a game with Rail Tanker currently running without going fubar?

Entirely compatible. They share no recipes, items, or technologies and happily coexist.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is it possible to make a mod that applies a module effect (ie +Speed or +Productivity) to all buildings? Via research

The wiki appears out of date (or at least not up to .13) and I have a real hard time sussing out how to make a mod wholesale. If I could get like a lazy single-tech version, I could probably backengineer it from there.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 16, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
At least rail tanker transmits the contents of the wagon to the train, so until full a d until empty conditions still work. I assume the gotlag one does as well?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Nope. I find Rail Tanker's method unappealing, so I don't support it. I am investigating alternatives but in the meantime circuit conditions are quite effective.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I hope they add another level to train conditions. I have a train that drops fuel off at various stops to keep the other trains topped up. It uses circuit conditions and a very large circuit network to wait at the pickup stop until total fuel in the network drops below a threshold. It would be really cool if I could somehow decide which station to go to based on a condition. As it stands once the inventory dips below the threshold, it starts the long loop stopping everywhere.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Powers posted:

I hope they add another level to train conditions. I have a train that drops fuel off at various stops to keep the other trains topped up. It uses circuit conditions and a very large circuit network to wait at the pickup stop until total fuel in the network drops below a threshold. It would be really cool if I could somehow decide which station to go to based on a condition. As it stands once the inventory dips below the threshold, it starts the long loop stopping everywhere.

I'm hoping someone adds a mod like radio links to make outpost reporting a bit easier than stringing 20 million wires.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ratzap posted:

I'm hoping someone adds a mod like radio links to make outpost reporting a bit easier than stringing 20 million wires.

Oh, yeah, that too. I'm currently not going far. I'm experimenting with factory outposts. I've got two ore processors for copper and iron and two drop-offs for my initial base, and I'm building a large circuit factory at the moment. This is just for funsies.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

Might as well make that my next project.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GotLag posted:

You should have multiple channels if you do it. For example, you can put all your outposts on channel 1, and use channel 2-4 for other things.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah I was thinking along the lines of whatever Minecraft mod it was. Place a transceiver structure, choose its channel, it shares circuit state with any towers on the same channel.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

That sounds like a mod that could make it into the main game a la Landfill, to be honest.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably with a distance limitation like logistics networks to avoid being over powered. It would also be cool if your player had to be within range to get things like radar info and logistics counts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

KillHour posted:

Probably with a distance limitation like logistics networks to avoid being over powered. It would also be cool if your player had to be within range to get things like radar info and logistics counts.

Perhaps putting up a satellite would remove the limitation. That's what satellites are for, after all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

You could select between UHF and EHF towers, and EHF towers only work if you have an EHF satalite for every (two?, three?) tower, but they have unlimited range.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

Please do, I posted several suggestions about it on the game forums over the last 8 or 9 months but no takers. Ideal would be multiple channels so you could have one per outpost or all the iron on one etc. A refinement might be defining constrained sets of signals to be transmitted (which would also cut down on the processing requirements). Range restrictions perhaps with researched upgrades?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't think a very long or unlimited range would be overpowered. It's not a resource sink to run green wires to outposts, it's just a pain in the rear end. If you place a short distance limit on it, then it doesn't really solve the annoyance of running wires because now it's an annoyance of going and placing these radio transceivers every X distance.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
A mod has popped up on the portal which looks really interesting

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MagmaMcFry/Factorissimo

code:
Features:

It's a building you can enter! Just walk through the door!
    Inside the 6x6 building is a 36x36 construction space. Fantastic!
    Route items and liquids in and out through ports at the sides!
    The entire interior has access to energy from outside! No electric poles are necessary inside!
    All pollution will leak out of the building, so be careful!
    Need to move? Pick up the building and deploy it somewhere else! The interior will stay intact!
    Not enough space in there? Build some factory buildings... inside your factory buildings!

Example applications:

Build custom production machines for all your production needs! Achieve new orders of magnitude of organization!
    No space for 60 assemblers, or 90 furnaces? Yes space for a factory building instead!
    Need 120 assemblers, or 180 furnaces? Use TWO factory buildings! Use blueprints to copy-paste! All interiors are congruent, or your money back!
    Want a mobile base? Build a building, and put everything you need inside! Recursion makes it easy! Just don't get your building attacked.
I'll have to have a play around with this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Looks cool.

It’s a shame power transfer only works one way. One of my immediate thoughts for application was a compact/mobile generator.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That looks impressive! Basically integrated circuits at the factory level. And you can nest them? Take any overly-large circuit you want and just reduce it down to a 6x6 building. Awesome. That's assuming you can transfer signals out of it, which kind of sounds like you can't? Still, being able to use it for anything else is just awesome.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Neat; reminds me of Blueprint Tycoon a bit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ratzap posted:

A mod has popped up on the portal which looks really interesting

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MagmaMcFry/Factorissimo

code:
Features:

It's a building you can enter! Just walk through the door!
    Inside the 6x6 building is a 36x36 construction space. Fantastic!
    Route items and liquids in and out through ports at the sides!
    The entire interior has access to energy from outside! No electric poles are necessary inside!
    All pollution will leak out of the building, so be careful!
    Need to move? Pick up the building and deploy it somewhere else! The interior will stay intact!
    Not enough space in there? Build some factory buildings... inside your factory buildings!

Example applications:

Build custom production machines for all your production needs! Achieve new orders of magnitude of organization!
    No space for 60 assemblers, or 90 furnaces? Yes space for a factory building instead!
    Need 120 assemblers, or 180 furnaces? Use TWO factory buildings! Use blueprints to copy-paste! All interiors are congruent, or your money back!
    Want a mobile base? Build a building, and put everything you need inside! Recursion makes it easy! Just don't get your building attacked.
I'll have to have a play around with this.

Oh my god think about how easily you can drop tons pollution in the middle of nowhere.

It's wonderful

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I had a quick read through the lua files for Factorissimo to get an idea how it works. It's quite clever. The factory itself is a modified roboport and the basic functionality uses the surfaces stuff they put in to allow the space part of the game. So it's a bit like the underground mod in that respect.
Kudos to the devs for allowing mods access to this stuff, if this is any indicator, people are going to come up with a lot of cool things using surfaces.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can you fill one of those buildings with laser turrets, and plop it down with bots?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've discovered a simple and quite reliable way to detect if rail tankers or tank wagons are full at filling stations and empty at unloading stations, using my Flow Control mod:

Loading Station:

Unloading Station:

Key:
Red pumps: vanilla small pump
Blue pumps: Flow Control express pump
Green "pump": Flow Control non-return valve - not only does it force one-way flow, but it can output its level to the circuit network

Explanation:
While loading a wagon, if the wagon is not yet full, the express pump drains the valve faster than the small pump can refill it, causing the level to drop. This causes the decider combinator to output a red signal to the station, which prevents the train from leaving. When the wagon fills, the small pump can finally fill the valve again, and the red signal turns off.
Unloading is the same but in reverse.

The train's settings for both stations are identical: wait 5 seconds AND circuit signal red = 0
(without the wait the detectors don't have time to trigger)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Can you fill one of those buildings with laser turrets, and plop it down with bots?

You could, but they probably wouldn't shoot anything because as far as the game is concerned the turrets are in space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tenebrais posted:

You could, but they probably wouldn't shoot anything because as far as the game is concerned the turrets are in space.

So they’ll protect you from space biters.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I sure hope he's forgotten to disable solar panels inside those. I have having to wall off half the map to get enough solar for factory

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dogstile posted:

I sure hope he's forgotten to disable solar panels inside those. I have having to wall off half the map to get enough solar for factory

Electrical power is only transferred outside to inside, so if solar panels do function inside, you have to use their power right there.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, the surfaces thing means they're basically on a completely different map. Whether or not the light levels support solar is a good question.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GotLag posted:

I've discovered a simple and quite reliable way to detect if rail tankers or tank wagons are full at filling stations and empty at unloading stations, using my Flow Control mod:

Loading Station:

Unloading Station:

Key:
Red pumps: vanilla small pump
Blue pumps: Flow Control express pump
Green "pump": Flow Control non-return valve - not only does it force one-way flow, but it can output its level to the circuit network

Explanation:
While loading a wagon, if the wagon is not yet full, the express pump drains the valve faster than the small pump can refill it, causing the level to drop. This causes the decider combinator to output a red signal to the station, which prevents the train from leaving. When the wagon fills, the small pump can finally fill the valve again, and the red signal turns off.
Unloading is the same but in reverse.

The train's settings for both stations are identical: wait 5 seconds AND circuit signal red = 0
(without the wait the detectors don't have time to trigger)

I don't wanna be "that guy" but a really easy way to detect if a tanker is full is supporting the built in full/empty train conditions. I understand they don't do everything, but it's kinda weird to proudly not support them and then focus on clever ways to reimplement them with other mods.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't wanna be "that guy"
Don't lie

There's also the slight problem that if you ever stop a rail tanker in front of an inserter it will remove the dummy items

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 18, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Could you hide the dummy container in some unreachable-by-inserters hammerspace, and still have it work? Or is the train logic too hard-wired to make that achievable?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't wanna be "that guy" but a really easy way to detect if a tanker is full is supporting the built in full/empty train conditions. I understand they don't do everything, but it's kinda weird to proudly not support them and then focus on clever ways to reimplement them with other mods.

I feel like one of the major attractions of Factorio is looking at your established systems and figuring out ways to use your toolset to achieve similar results with a different (ideally tidier and/or more efficient) setup, so questioning the rationale of people doing that exact same thing but not in the game comes across as kind of silly.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 18, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Part of embracing multiple ways of doing things is not belitting ways of doing things that aren't your own, much less being proud of ignoring an easier solution in favor of making a more complicated one.

That being said, I did confirm that if you park a rail tanker next to an inserter, it will grab the liquid "items" out of the train car. So that's pretty silly, and I guess if you have tanker cars parked next to non-filter inserters could cause an actual problem. Not a problem for me, but sounds like maybe a problem for GotLag.

But it adds complexity where none previously existed to solve an edge case problem. So sure, if its a problem you've encountered, and you're a modder, and/or you want to dig in, go nuts. But don't act like your solution is objectively superior to another, it's just different.

GotLag posted:

Nope. I find Rail Tanker's method unappealing, so I don't support it. I am investigating alternatives but in the meantime circuit conditions are quite effective.

Ultimately the way I interpreted this post (and looking back I most likely misinterpreted it) is that GotLag didn't support Full/Empty conditions because they were objectively inferior, not because they just weren't what he was interested in.

Anyway, hasn't a fluid tanker been on the roadmap since approximately forever? At the very least I hope that in the future there's some way to allow a tanker to support Full/Empty conditions without requiring dummy grabbable items.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wouldn't call producing an endless number of useless items every time a wagon happens to park in front of an inserter an edge case, but hey. It also precludes building a universal train station which can unload more than 1 item type (more than 5 if you can accept the time cost of using non-stack inserters).

FISHMANPET posted:

Ultimately the way I interpreted this post (and looking back I most likely misinterpreted it) is that GotLag didn't support Full/Empty conditions because they were objectively inferior, not because they just weren't what he was interested in.
Try reading the second sentence.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 18, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Again, anyone can play however they want, but making a station that will universally unload both solid and liquid seems to me a little like an edge case, but who knows, maybe everybody is doing it and I'm the one guy not doing that.

Alright, I don't want this to be a "4/10 contains loops" situation so I'm gonna shut up, especially since this stemmed from me misunderstanding a post. GotLag's tanker in no way prevents me from using Rail Tanker the way I want and that's the beauty of Factorio. PS I love Honk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reading comprehension ain't your forte. Literally any time a non-empty rail tanker stops in front of an unfiltered inserter for any length of time, it will pull the dummy items out. The rail tanker will regenerate them up to its fluid level, so if your train stops somewhere unintended it really can completely poo poo up a belted supply chain.

This is not what I'd consider an "edge case".

Anyway I'll be the bigger man and stop this derail now that I've had the last word.