Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Any good cases that would be a good fit for a 11.25" non blower GPU (Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070)? I was looking at the Core V1 but it won't accept my GPU length.

I was looking at the RVZ01 but I heard it's a bad idea to use a non blower GPU with it due to bad air flow. I would have got a blower but I wasn't planning to upgrade to an ITX SFF build at the time.

edit: oh wow nevermind, after looking through some other forums, the Core V1 seems to fit my card. The extra 3mm in specs for the G1 1070 was for the DVI port.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

particle9 posted:

Typing from this monster. Took an hour and change to set up. I ended up putting the heatsink on last which was maybe possibly a mistake. The case is amazing once it's closed, building in such a tight space is definitely a challenge. There is zero cable management here. Management boiled down to "lets try and shove all of this far enough away from the heatsink that it doesn't bend forward". The thermals are good so far. After 10 minutes or so at 100% CPU it gets up to about 56, idles around 39. The CPU fan is by far the loudest thing so far, but I haven't fired off a game yet. Definitely happy with the build. My work buddy is building in a Fractal 202 tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Scored 17000+ on Firestrike without even overclocking anything.

PCPartpicker gives a compatibility warning with the HSF, did you have to switch fans or anything? Also, does such a small case need a blower-style GPU?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The HSF is too tall for the case but the top fan is optional/removable. What I did was use the shorter fan that comes with the case attached above the cpu to replace the larger fan that comes with the heatsink (the heatsink has two fans, one optional top, one 90mm under the grills). Then I used the top fan that came with the HSF in the empty fan slot under the gpu. I don't have a blower gpu, I wouldn't get one there is plenty of air for gpu's in this case. Just make sure with larger after markets you take stock of measurements. I think the MSI is too wide for example. The evga sc totally fits great for me. I think people have put STRIX in this case as well.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

particle9 posted:

The HSF is too tall for the case but the top fan is optional/removable. What I did was use the shorter fan that comes with the case attached above the cpu to replace the larger fan that comes with the heatsink (the heatsink has two fans, one optional top, one 90mm under the grills). Then I used the top fan that came with the HSF in the empty fan slot under the gpu. I don't have a blower gpu, I wouldn't get one there is plenty of air for gpu's in this case. Just make sure with larger after markets you take stock of measurements. I think the MSI is too wide for example. The evga sc totally fits great for me. I think people have put STRIX in this case as well.

Thank you, that clarifies things quite a bit! Can I solicit your subjective opinion on the portability of the case?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thank you, that clarifies things quite a bit! Can I solicit your subjective opinion on the portability of the case?

No problem, glad to help. Portability is an interesting question. I think that ultimately the answer is "yes" with a but for this particular case. The case, while small, is still pretty heavy. You can move it around and put it into tight spaces but I wouldn't want to be carrying this thing. If I was going to be carting this every week to a LAN party or something I'd want it to have a handle like this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163287

This is much more of a HTPC or desktop replacement imo. It just doesn't really have a nice grip to carry it around a lot of places. The Raven might even be better because I have to imagine a case made of plastic is lighter than one made of all metal. That being said the metal will probably stand up to more abuse. Hope that helps give you an idea. If I had to guess I would say that my build weighs around 18-22lbs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

e:nm

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My Silverstone SG-05 slips into a small gym bag pretty easily. I would put the computer, tenkeyless kb, mouse, necessary cables and power strip and take it wherever I was heading. Usually I relied on the person hosting me having a spare TV I could setup at. The case you're asking about looks like it could go into a gym bag or backpack pretty easily.

Edit: Lets all take a moment to reminiscence about when we carried our CRT's and big beige cases to lan parties. How far we've come.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 6, 2016

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm in the process of readying my build to move over into an NCASE M1. My current CPU cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S, looks like it's too tall for the NCASE.

It looks like NCASE recommends a top-down cooler, and the OP suggests the Cryorig C7. What other coolers do people like?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I ran this with a Noctua fan and had good results: https://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Samuel-17-CPU-Cooler/dp/B003OPW3W6
Prolimatech Samuel 17

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason to not go with the $50 upsale built-in PSU for the Fractal 202 case?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

ufarn posted:

Is there a reason to not go with the $50 upsale built-in PSU for the Fractal 202 case?

No, it should be good and the cable lengths will all be good.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

beepsandboops posted:

I'm in the process of readying my build to move over into an NCASE M1. My current CPU cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S, looks like it's too tall for the NCASE.

It looks like NCASE recommends a top-down cooler, and the OP suggests the Cryorig C7. What other coolers do people like?
A lot of people use the Noctua NH-U9S with dual fans. Alternatively if you want better cooling performance you can grab the larger NH-C14.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Looking at junking my Bitfenix Prodigy (what a big case for mini itx) and rebuilding in a NCASE M1 as well as doing some upgrades. What cooler setup on a graphics card (looking at a 1070 or 1080) would be better for that case: reference blower, side fans, or AIO liquid/radiator?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Looking at junking my Bitfenix Prodigy (what a big case for mini itx) and rebuilding in a NCASE M1 as well as doing some upgrades. What cooler setup on a graphics card (looking at a 1070 or 1080) would be better for that case: reference blower, side fans, or AIO liquid/radiator?

What CPU cooler are you using?

If you want minimal headaches use a blower 1070/1080.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

well why not posted:

I'm moving to the UK in a month, but want to build a PC over there. What would I need to know about eventually shipping the PC back to Aus when I come back? Thinking a lot about the Phantex Evolv ITX.

You might be a bit hosed by the pound crashing, things are already increasing in price.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sri.Theo posted:

You might be a bit hosed by the pound crashing, things are already increasing in price.

I'm really glad my new PC arrived a couple of days before brexit. Those stupid fuckers.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

El Scotch posted:

What CPU cooler are you using?

If you want minimal headaches use a blower 1070/1080.

Nothing really planned at the moment. Current rig has a CM 212 which from what I've read won't fit.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Okay here's my latest crack at a video and photo editing/vr dev/gaming portable machine spec out. Feedback, esp about the cooler and storage choices would be greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1055.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-11 13:42 EDT-0400

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

I previously had a haswell mATX + r9 290 from 2013. It's worked great but I wanted a smaller form factor that plays well with a future Hackintosh set up. I currently develop (non work related / for fun) on my personal Macbook Pro and then game on my PC. I hope to sell my personal MBP later when Pascal is supported in OSX and only keep my work MBP and my desktop as my only computers.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg) (OSX Boot Drive)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.84 @ Amazon) (Windows 10 Boot Drive)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB External Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon) (Media files / Scratch Disk for video editing)
Total: $1521.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 01:35 EDT-0400

Building:

Building in this case has been super easy. I had trouble with cable management due to the small spaces but due to the different compartment chambers, I didn't worry too much about it. Installing the Mobo, PSU, and the GPU was easier then building in my Antec 300 case. The only other case I used before was a CoolerMaster N200, and this case was easier to build in. My SSDs slid right in easily and my fullsize GPU fit in without having to worry about wires / cages like in a regular mATX case.

The Gigabyte mobo is a pain in the rear end since the front panel usb 3.0 connector is right next to the CPU. This caused problems with my CPU cooler. It still plugged in but the wire touches a little bit with the CPU cooler which worries me. If I had to choose another mobo, I would have, but I was stuck with it for my Hackintosh build.

I ended up getting a Cryorig C7 CPU cooler too, but ended up using the AR06 instead since you can replace the fan with any generic 92mm fan. If anyone's interested, I'll put it on SA Mart. I only opened the box to look at it.

Temperatures:

This was done in my apartment with no AC. According to my thermostat, room temperature was at 78 Celsius. No AC because I live in the Northwest. It's the Summer, so it usually isn't this hot.

I was able to fit a 11.25" Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070 in the RVZ02 comfortably. The temperatures get a little hot as it maxes at 75 Celsius when running Fire Strike Extreme. The 1070 stays at 2035 Mhz when running the Fire Strike extreme demo / test. If I tweek the fan curve to be more aggressive, it drops the temperatures down to 65 Celsius but the card then sounds like a blower R9 290. I haven't tried overclocking the i7 6700k to the max since I was only allowed to use a low profile CPU cooler in this case. The RVZ02 can only fit a 58mm aftermarket CPU cooler. I overclocked the i7 6700k to 4.4 Ghz from the stock 4 Ghz and it was reaching 70 Celsius at full load. I didn't want to bump the voltage/clock higher since that was the highest I felt comfortable with temperature wise.

I put the same mobo and GPU in my old Antec 300 case and both CPU / GPU temperatures dropped by 10 degrees Celsius under full load. That's the price you pay for no case fans and for a compact chasis.

Noise:

This build is near silent during idle / web browsing thanks to both the Gigabyte G1 1070 and Silverstone Power Supply. Both turn off their fans during low usage. Full load is a different story. It sounds really noisy compared to my full steel Antec 300 case. Under full load, I could barely hear my Antec 300 case compared to my RVZ02. A big difference though might have been that I kept my Antec 300 on the floor while I have my RVZ02 on my desk. I recommended the RVZ02 for anyone looking for a thin small computer case. It is a bit noisy though if that bothers you.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 12, 2016

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Nice build, but

Rabid Snake posted:

According to my thermostat, room temperature was at 78 Celsius.

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

Welp too late at night. Definitely meant Fahrenheit. Curse you imperial system

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rabid Snake posted:

Welp too late at night. Definitely meant Fahrenheit. Curse you imperial system

If you're in the US it's actually the US customary system, not imperial. :eng101:

e: That looks like a nice case though. I have the Bitfenix Prodigy M and it's just a huge gigantic thing and I remember building it up was super annoying. I've been thinking about just replacing the case. Not even to upgrade the PC or anything, just replacing the case.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 12, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

This is the best reply.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

At a mere 78 degrees? That's some weak sauce OC. Get a higher-binned body.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Thanks, this was really helpful. I was thinking about building in an ML08, which seems really similar to this case, and the one thing that was giving me pause was temperatures. Also from reading the parts thread everyone is saying overclocking a gaming rig is a no-brainer at this point, and not doing so is leaving money on the table, but that would be putting more heat into the system...

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, this was really helpful. I was thinking about building in an ML08, which seems really similar to this case, and the one thing that was giving me pause was temperatures. Also from reading the parts thread everyone is saying overclocking a gaming rig is a no-brainer at this point, and not doing so is leaving money on the table, but that would be putting more heat into the system...

The ML08 is the same exact chassis, except the ML08 has a sweet handle on top and a different looking front plate. I'm actually going to email Silverstone to see if I can just buy the handle since I can screw it on top of my case if I decide to take my PC somewhere.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can take the filters out for more air flow. Yes, dust will get it, but since no one puts this case on the floor, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Alternatively the windowed version has perforation but no filters.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Are there any big positives or negatives for the Nano S vs the Core 500? I'm torn between them and am struggling to decide.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
It really comes down to component spacing. The Core 500 can fit coolers 170mm in height vs the Nano S' 160mm, but the Core 500 GPU length is 310mm vs 315 from the Nano S. Both can fit 280mm AIO radiators. I'd expect the temperatures for the Core 500 to be slightly better than the Nano S, but the Nano S does feature sound dampening like its bigger brothers.

Personally I like the Core 500 as being a true "shuttle" successor, while with the Nano S there's always smaller alternatives for that form factor, or just stick to mATX since it's just a bit bigger anyway.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Are there any big positives or negatives for the Nano S vs the Core 500? I'm torn between them and am struggling to decide.

I own the core 500. The nano is a lot bigger, and has a window if that's your thing. I really like that the core 500 has the GPU sucking air directly through the filtered sides. Do note that the PSU has to be I think 160mm max in the core 500.

Looks are subjective, my core 500 is on a shelf under my table and I'm very happy with it, fits a large be quiet! Pure rock cooler no problem.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rukus posted:

It really comes down to component spacing. The Core 500 can fit coolers 170mm in height vs the Nano S' 160mm, but the Core 500 GPU length is 310mm vs 315 from the Nano S. Both can fit 280mm AIO radiators. I'd expect the temperatures for the Core 500 to be slightly better than the Nano S, but the Nano S does feature sound dampening like its bigger brothers.

Personally I like the Core 500 as being a true "shuttle" successor, while with the Nano S there's always smaller alternatives for that form factor, or just stick to mATX since it's just a bit bigger anyway.

snuff posted:

I own the core 500. The nano is a lot bigger, and has a window if that's your thing. I really like that the core 500 has the GPU sucking air directly through the filtered sides. Do note that the PSU has to be I think 160mm max in the core 500.

Looks are subjective, my core 500 is on a shelf under my table and I'm very happy with it, fits a large be quiet! Pure rock cooler no problem.

Thanks both. I have no plans for anything other than air cooling. Windows in cases don't bother me either way, and I wouldn't pay extra for one. My psu is 160mm so that's fine. Also, I realise optical drives are dead tech but i still have one so being able to put it in the core is welcome.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

well why not posted:

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

What immediately comes to mind is the Silverstone Sugo. There's a couple different variations (like one that has a faux-aluminium front instead of the weird-looking mesh one), but I think all of them lack full dust filtering (pretty inexcusable if you ask me) like the Core 500.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

well why not posted:

Not that I know of, I did a lot of research and the alternatives lack fan filters or space for normal size components. The ugly front is a non issue for me since it's rotated and the front is facing a wall.

snuff fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 16, 2016

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

well why not posted:

Take a look at the node 304. It is almost the exact shape and size. A notable missing feature is the 280mm top opening of the core 500 but the exterior is about as plain as you can find.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thinking of returning my gtx 1080 G1 due to it running loud and pretty hot.

I have a corsair 250d, which has a 140mm front fan. If i were to get this closed loop watercooled gpu when it's out, would the fan simply be placed where the front fan is now? Can't see any info on what size the gpu fan is.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5919#kf

This should help with the noise and temp issue, yeah?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Very close to jumping on this build. First ever PC building experience, and doing it SFF is scary, but an interesting challenge. I've watched multiple build videos on YouTube using this case, too, so I pretty much know exactly what to expect with it.

Anything stick out as a horrible idea? Or are there any better suggestions?

Also, I'm looking at something like this? for the second 2.5" drive slot, because 500gb is not going to be enough. And I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get two optional fans for the space below the GPU. The only problem is I've read that some people have had trouble fitting both the fans and the GPU stability mount at the same time, as they use the same bracket. Are there good, thin fans? And since my MOBO only has one slot for case fans, can I even install two of them?

Oh, and also, with regard to the GPU. There's a used like new GTX 970 blower style card on Amazon for $220. Seems like a good deal? I was waiting for the 1060, but that's gonna be months before I can get one in the blower style for not super expensive, right? And I'm also feeling like I'd rather use a card I've already seen other people use with similar builds. Am I being stupid?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.34 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($274.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1133.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-17 15:50 EDT-0400

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That seems like an awful lot of money for a GTX 970, given the current GPU landscape. At that price point, I'd probably be looking at the GTX 1060 this week.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah if you can put your pc together and run off onboard video for a while I would wait if you could. Gpu market is kinda unsettled at the moment with new releases and such. If you can't wait shopping for parts used in sa-mart had treated me well for the past several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

If you can't wait shopping for parts used in sa-mart had treated me well for the past several years.
Yep. I imagine a used 970 should run around $200 shipping at this point.