Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Maybe its taken the British usage. Where as far as I know magistrate is basically judge lite. Ie. Sueing a neighbour over $50 worth of damages, you go before a magistrate because gently caress wasting a judges time with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Captain Bravo posted:

"Magistrate" makes me think Louisiana, did his accent sound similar to this?

Nah, caller ID showed Puget Sound, WA and it was a thick Indian accent.

I never hear magistrate, it honestly makes me think more of former English colonies that aren't the US. I realize that they exist in the US and all but judge is far more common. My parents just shared it with me since it was weird and better than the usual robocalls looking for my sister for debt collection.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've heard of taxi or restaurant scams where the customer leaves their wallet or phone as collateral while they "go to an atm." The staff realize it's an empty wallet or plastic display phone when the customer never comes back.

There have also been COD package deliveries full of rocks :japan:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

That reminds me. I work for a cell phone carrier and had someone come in to activate a 5c on prepay. I'm handling the phone and the weight feels goofy, but people do all kinds of dumb poo poo repairing iPhones so whatever. I look at the serial on the back and it seems to not fit the right format but again, whatever, new stuff every day. I try to turn the phone on and nothing. I try to pop the SIM card tray and nothing. I had to explain to this dude as carefully as possible to not make him feel dumb that he'd bought a totally fake phone. I've been doing the job for a little bit and that was the only time, so I have to think it's relatively rare.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i'm not an expert or nothin but i would guess that fake phones are pretty common. they're a hot thing right now and that always attracts scams

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

peanut posted:

I've heard of taxi or restaurant scams where the customer leaves their wallet or phone as collateral while they "go to an atm." The staff realize it's an empty wallet or plastic display phone when the customer never comes back.

What really burns my rear end about this is it fucks over every person who legitimately made a mistake and doesn't have cash. On the other hand, it should only be an issue in cabs/restaurants where they can't run a card, which has to be less than 2% at this point -- even the last holdouts I knew have gone over to debit/credit now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

peanut posted:

I was in a gas station when someone left their phone behind as collateral the other day, I really wanted to wait outside to see if he came back. It looked like a legit, decent quality smartphone and the guy looked normal enough on the few seconds I saw him. Next time I'm in there, I'll have to ask the lady who was nice enough to agree to it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

What really burns my rear end about this is it fucks over every person who legitimately made a mistake and doesn't have cash. On the other hand, it should only be an issue in cabs/restaurants where they can't run a card, which has to be less than 2% at this point -- even the last holdouts I knew have gone over to debit/credit now.

Lol welcome to Japan

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I get a scam call about once a month, sometimes more. For a but for awhile it was daily. They take two varieties one is "We have a court case, contact us back or we will issue a warrant" or "I am calling from computer security, and you are infected with a nasty virus". After getting one or both calls for awhile, I now try to gently caress with them. I once called back the warrant people with a case number I made up and my name. They said that I could pay some amount of money (I forget how much) to get this all cleared up, and I ask what the charges are. Can't tell me. I ask what jurisdiction. They can't tell me. I ask why they are calling from Iowa when I am from the East Coast and never been further west than Ohio. They can't tell me. I ask why their number is listed on every scam site I can find online. They hang up.

With the PC guys I always ask some questions about it, and then ask them to ID my IP address, or ask which of my three computers, is it a desktop or laptop, etc. When they refuse or just say a windows machine I typically spout off some excuse like I don't own a computer, or I run Linux, or as I did Wednesday.
"Our records show your windows machine has a very nasty virus that we need to remove."
"Is it serious?"
"Yes, all your information is comprised."
"On my windows machine?"
"Yes, sir."
"That's pretty amazing since I own a Mac."
Dude's response totally took me off guard.
"gently caress off. gently caress off you son of a bitch." :click:
Yay for me, I guess.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Hahaha.

Not really a con, but I made the mistake of lazily holding my phone while resting my eyes on the MARTA train.

While the train was stopped, a guy snatched the phone and bolted just before the train doors slammed shut.

Merry Christmas Eve, indeed

Aww, drat, I think I was on the train with you when that happened!

I saw it happen to someone else on MARTA, anyways.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thalantos posted:

Aww, drat, I think I was on the train with you when that happened!

I saw it happen to someone else on MARTA, anyways.

yeah but did you catch the pokemon?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

PT6A posted:

It's still a problem if they have credit card facilities and you leave your card at home like a doofus. I left my entire wallet at home and then filled up my car at the petrol station. I had to walk in and tell them I have no money and I can only offer a business card or maybe a shoe as ID or collateral.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pocket Billiards posted:

It's still a problem if they have credit card facilities and you leave your card at home like a doofus. I left my entire wallet at home and then filled up my car at the petrol station. I had to walk in and tell them I have no money and I can only offer a business card or maybe a shoe as ID or collateral.

Why would they be concerned? They have you on video in all likelihood, as well as your car and license plate. Stealing gas would be the dumbest thing ever, because you will always get caught.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

There are still places that don't make you prepay?

quote:

petrol

Oh, that explains it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

taiyoko posted:

There are still places that don't make you prepay?

Oh, that explains it.

Plenty around here at least. It's becoming slightly less common but there's still more pump and pay than prepay around St. Louis.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In PA, most every gas station I have been to allows you to pump without prepayment.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

PT6A posted:

Why would they be concerned? They have you on video in all likelihood, as well as your car and license plate. Stealing gas would be the dumbest thing ever, because you will always get caught.

Security video might be poo poo resolution, plates can be stolen, chasing someone over fuel could be more hassle than it's worth, cops aren't that interested in it, rear end in a top hat owners take the cost from the employees wages.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It never fails to amaze me every time I visit north America from Australia that you have to prepay for fuel. Weird.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

iajanus posted:

It never fails to amaze me every time I visit north America from Australia that you have to prepay for fuel. Weird.

This wasn't generally the case until gas prices started increasing in the early 2000s. Back in the 90s, I'd fill up then go in and pay for it with a $20.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

What's even weirder are the states that don't allow you as a driver to pump your own gas. That's right, you have to wait for an attendant to pump it for you, and then feel obligated to give them an extra dollar or something as a tip.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Asimov posted:

What's even weirder are the states that don't allow you as a driver to pump your own gas. That's right, you have to wait for an attendant to pump it for you, and then feel obligated to give them an extra dollar or something as a tip.

I'm from a state that doesn't do this, and when I visited one that does, my reaction to a guy walking quickly and purposefully towards me while I was trying to figure out the pump was to square up at him and assume I was about to have to fight a mugger or something. Luckily, my then-girlfriend was in the car, saw me get weird, and was like "Hey doofus he's wearing a uniform" before I made too much of a scene.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NJ is like that but the law isn't enforced at all. They polled a bunch of local cops and literally not a single one said they'd ever written/would write someone a ticket for doing it. Also most attendants are usually pretty appreciative of not having to do anything.

Although I've literally never heard of anyone tipping a gas station attendant past like, 1950.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

drunk asian neighbor posted:

NJ is like that but the law isn't enforced at all. They polled a bunch of local cops and literally not a single one said they'd ever written/would write someone a ticket for doing it. Also most attendants are usually pretty appreciative of not having to do anything.

Although I've literally never heard of anyone tipping a gas station attendant past like, 1950.

Former NJ resident here. I worked in a gas station during and after HS for a while. I could count on one hand the number of time I was tipped. It was usually around Xmas.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Former NJ resident here. I worked in a gas station during and after HS for a while. I could count on one hand the number of time I was tipped. It was usually around Xmas.

Another former NJ resident reporting in that no one in the state tips the gas station attendants.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

no one tips gas station attendants in OR, either

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like I said, tipping the gas attendant is a thing of the past, probably because back then they'd clean your windows, air up your tires, etc. at the same time, so they actually did something worthy of a tip. Nowadays they slide a card in a slot and press a button, I can't even remember the last time an attendant actually cleaned my windows.

The upshot of living in an attendant state is that they still have the locking clips on the actual fuel gun thing, so you don't have to keep the handle squeezed yourself the whole time. When I lived in MA, 90% of the time they'd remove the locking clip, so you couldn't even clean your windows or grab a snack from inside while the gas was pumping.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I live in a state that doesn't happen and it would feel weird for someone to pump my gas for me. I'm sure you would get used to it if you lived in a state where it's normal but to me it would be like someone cutting up my food and feeding it to me in a restaurant.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gas station people get paid whatever their wage is, so no need to tip unless they have to go out of their way to help you. It's not like people waiting tables in the states where they get paid $2.50 an hour because it's assumed they'll get tips.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What about circumcised gas station attendants? Do you tip them or pump your own gas? Looking to hear from at least fifty people in every state here.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Do workers at buffets get paid regular wages? I always tip because I just don't know.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

drat I guess I just feel excessive tip guilt then, I'm keeping my $1 next time I drive through OR/NJ.

e: I'm not a fan of the tipping system in the USA in general but at the same time it's hard not to throw a few bucks at someone who is making minimum wage (or less) if it won't break the bank. It's the uncertainty factor that makes it feel awkward and weird to me. Just roll the gratuity into the meal or gas price, everyone wins except the miserly consumer.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The upshot of living in an attendant state is that they still have the locking clips on the actual fuel gun thing, so you don't have to keep the handle squeezed yourself the whole time. When I lived in MA, 90% of the time they'd remove the locking clip, so you couldn't even clean your windows or grab a snack from inside while the gas was pumping.

This sounds bizarre to me. Is there a law about it? Driving in the upper midwest I've never encountered it.

There was a law passed here a few years ago that requires people fueling their car to stay within close distance of the car, after gas stations complained that there was no official legal way to deal with dipshits who spill gas all over the place. As a former gas station employee I can say that this was super annoying. Also dangerous! The new law doesn't actually have a penalty though, it basically just allows gas station workers to shut the pumps off, and if the moron spilling gas complains they can now say "welp sorry that's the law".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

What about circumcised gas station attendants? Do you tip them or pump your own gas? Looking to hear from at least fifty people in every state here.

I make sure to them spayed, neutered, and declawed. Can't be too careful with your gas station attendants, you know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I make sure to them spayed, neutered, and declawed. Can't be too careful with your gas station attendants, you know.

You've forgotten defanging - a beginner's mistake. Gas station attendants are at high risk of Vampirism and Garou Syndrome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This sounds bizarre to me. Is there a law about it? Driving in the upper midwest I've never encountered it.

There was a law passed here a few years ago that requires people fueling their car to stay within close distance of the car, after gas stations complained that there was no official legal way to deal with dipshits who spill gas all over the place. As a former gas station employee I can say that this was super annoying. Also dangerous! The new law doesn't actually have a penalty though, it basically just allows gas station workers to shut the pumps off, and if the moron spilling gas complains they can now say "welp sorry that's the law".

I dunno if it's law or not. I've definitely encountered a couple of gas station attendants in Boston who will cut the pump off if you walk away (usually the pump guy is standing inside also working the convenience store attached to the gas station), but it's rare. But having the lock clip removed was annoyingly common. I imagine the logic is like you said, a way to keep people from walking away and making a mess of things, except that the pump will stop itself when the tank is full, so I don't know how people still manage to spill gas, TBH. I worked at a gas station for like 6-8 months in college and I only had to clean a spill once.
It's a minor convenience, but NJ is great if you can pump your own gas since you can get it started, go inside to grab a drink, and come back out and not have to stand there squeezing the handle for 5 minutes.

e: also IMO the whole law is dumb as hell and "pumping your own gas" is a skill that in my head is more akin to "being able to walk and talk at the same time," not something like changing your own oil or whatever. I have friends that have lived in NJ their whole lives and it's really mind-boggling how impressed they are when I fill my own tank. It's not parallel parking or changing a flat for pete's sake.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2016

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Massachussets is the only state in the union that doesn't have those pump clip things because it was actually illegal. They passed a law last year though legalizing them though, but knowing the way businesses work it will probably only be newer gas stations that end up having them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/01/12/gas-pump-clips-now-legal-but-may-take-months-appear/kqiYuEaOLoGMe4fCUWFzdJ/story.html

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's pretty easy to spill gas if you aren't paying close attention. You can put the nozzle into the car wrong; even if you're just a little off this can do it. You can have a car where the door covering the gas cap is on a spring, and you wedge it open at first but then it snaps closed and sends the nozzle flying out onto the ground. Some part of your car can be screwed up so it doesn't trigger the auto-shutoff part of the pump/nozzle. You can even pull the nozzle out of the car with your grip around the trigger, and spray gas as it comes out because you squeezed down on it. Or you can "top off the tank" after the shutoff clicks, which doesn't actually top off the tank but instead starts filling up the line that runs from the tank up to the opening.

Source: I worked in a gas station for a zillion hours in high school. We had a big barrel of this special material we used when people spilled fuel onto the ground. It looked kind of like pebbles for a fish tank, or some of those fancy salts that are opaque and kind of pink-colored. This was applied to the spill by using an old bottle of wiper fluid someone had cut the bottom off of (to make a scoop), so you would scoop up some of the stuff out of the barrel and go put it on the spill. It was really absorbent so usually just a few sprinkles would cover the liquid, and when it was nice out you could let the mixture sit there for a bit and then scrape it into a dustpan and dispose of it.

This didn't matter during the biggest spill I had to deal with, though. I remember once in the winter when some lady I'd never seen before (small town, knew everybody) spilled just a ridiculous amount of gas outside. I don't know the volume, but it created an area about ten feet in diameter of varying gasoline-ness. This happened after that point during winter where the snow has become a permanent fixture on the ground around the pumps, and this mixes with all the dirt on tires and people's shoes, so her spill created this sort of liquid minefield of little puddles and glazes on top of and in ruts and hills within the snowmuck. So I'm carrying scoop after scoop of the solidifier out there, it's cold as poo poo, and when I'm done I can't even clean it up because it's all mixed in with the shitsnow. The kicker is that everyone else coming to get gas after her now steps on the snow-dirt-gaspebble stew, and tracks it into the store. Good thing I was a master mopper :haw:

That solidifier stuff also worked on puke, which is something I'm sure you were all wondering. Bright and early one summer morning I watched as a dad and his son were walking to the front door of the store, and the kid is clearly dry-heaving. So his dad says "well just puke it up", and the kid proceeds to yak out this delightful orange goo directly in front of the single door into the convenience store. They come inside, buy their snacks or whatever, and leave. At no point does the dad have the kid go into the bathroom to rinse out his mouth, nor does he inform me that there's a glob of liquid Apple Jacks and stomach acid directly in the way of everyone trying to enter the store. The gas chips worked on it though :ms:

e: wow this post turned into some pretty gbs poo poo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just light it on fire, and boom! You're done.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

OSHA thread crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Greatbacon posted:

Massachussets is the only state in the union that doesn't have those pump clip things because it was actually illegal. They passed a law last year though legalizing them though, but knowing the way businesses work it will probably only be newer gas stations that end up having them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/01/12/gas-pump-clips-now-legal-but-may-take-months-appear/kqiYuEaOLoGMe4fCUWFzdJ/story.html

Well, that explains it then, thanks for solving a decade-long mystery for me!