Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Norns posted:

What size rubber ones feel comfortable before they fall out?

I don't know.... I just went with the Comply Foam Comfort pack that included all 3 sizes... We will see how they work, should be here tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a such thing as IEM headphones that won't inevitably break? I keep buying cheap $30-$40 ones and one ear stops working after 4-8 months of shoving them in my pockets, but I'm afraid to buy expensive ones because I'm not an audiophile so I don't really give a poo poo about the extra quality and I'm afraid the expensive ones will break just as easily.

Is there a brand particularly known for its durability? I've tried a bunch and it always seems to be the case that eventually a wire comes loose and I get no sound in one ear.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Maybe stop shoving them in your pockets? Crazy thought I know.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get ones nice enough to come with a travel case and use the case
or you can get ones with detachable cabling and replace the failure point as it breaks

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just got some new headphones through our discount program at work:

MTX Margaritaville headphones. Unfortunately we only sell the lime green ones, not plain black or this awesomely obnoxious colorway. I got them for $75, but we have a program where we get credits to spend on our products so I didn't have to spend any actual money.

I wanted to take my main set of ATH-A700x headphones home for use on my PC, so these are now my work headphones. They're not too bad, surprisingly, but they are definitely not as comfortable as the Audio Technicas, and the sound can be a bit fatiguing after a few hours. The replaceable cable on the MTX set is quite nice to have - I'm hoping to add a jack to the A700x's if the cable ever has issues.

One perk: some people somehow didn't notice my A700x's on my head at my desk and tried to make small talk, but there's no way that they will miss these lime green suckers!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are these the same company with the drink makers or is this some sort of jimmy buffett tie-in?

The "macaw" ones are way cool and anyone wearing them is a cool guy

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

It's a Jimmy Buffet licensing tie-in. MTX is mostly known for their car audio products, but they do other audio stuff too.

We were supposed to stock the macaw colorway, but the supplier hosed up and we only got the green. I definitely would have chosen the macaw if I had the option.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Are the Audio Technica ATHWS77 any good?

A local shop has an ex display model for really cheap and i'm think of seeing what they are like but headphones are not my thing (it will be mostly phone or computer listening)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So is the Soundblaster E5 headphone amp good? I have a Galaxy S3 and the headphone jacks are hosed and only play properly through the left channel. I have a set of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro cans(oh, how I regret buying it, these things need serious EQ adjustment to sound balanced), and I suspected a Bluetooth amp might be the answer for me. The fact it doubles as a PC USB amp also really caught my eye.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
hi friends,

I managed to lose my pretty awesome audio technica ath-m50x set over the weekend, which is a problem since I'm flying on friday and am relying on lovely $30 source earbuds.

While I can grab another set off of canadian amazon readily easily, they're like $250 CAD which is way more than I paid for them in the states a few years back. What's a good set of headphones that I can get in Canada for under $200 CAD of roughly comparable quality? The lower the price the better obviously, so $100-$150 is preferred.

for reference the ath-m40xis around $149 which is well within my budget, though i confess to being nervous as to how it compares to the m50x.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 4, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mederlock posted:

So is the Soundblaster E5 headphone amp good? I have a Galaxy S3 and the headphone jacks are hosed and only play properly through the left channel. I have a set of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro cans(oh, how I regret buying it, these things need serious EQ adjustment to sound balanced), and I suspected a Bluetooth amp might be the answer for me. The fact it doubles as a PC USB amp also really caught my eye.

I think you might be served better by getting a new phone.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

I think you might be served better by getting a new phone.

Well I need one of those too, but regardless of the kind of phone I could get, I'll still need a decent quality amp to get the proper sound fidelity out of these cans, and since my PC's audio hardware sucks too I'd rather spend the $200 now for an amp that's good for both first then waiting to save ~$700 for a new phone, and still have to pick up an amp after. :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You don't need an amp to run the Custom One Pros.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Well I need one of those too, but regardless of the kind of phone I could get, I'll still need a decent quality amp to get the proper sound fidelity out of these cans, and since my PC's audio hardware sucks too I'd rather spend the $200 now for an amp that's good for both first then waiting to save ~$700 for a new phone, and still have to pick up an amp after. :shrug:

If it's audio quality you want then a DAC or soundcard is the way to go first. there are some USB Dac/Amps out there like the Fiio E10K that could offer a nice improvement if you're just using integrated audio

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Hey guys I checked out the buyers guide and thought I might need to ask about something more specific.

Budget - Please try to stay under $125.
Source - Bluetooth, most likely from iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - No, these are meant for running/lifting/rock climbing.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - More balanced would definitely be key.
Past Headphones - Had jay birds but they constantly fell out of my ears while running.
Preferred Music - A very wide mix going from classical to metal to jazz.

Since the above probably wasn't very helpful, I'm looking for a pair of water resistant IEM Bluetooth based headphones for a very, very active lifestyle. I'd love to be able to have at least a four hour battery life with something that isn't going to fall out of my ears, even if I take a good twenty foot fall or decide to sprint in them. They don't need to have some fancy fitness tracking mode or extra non audio functions, I don't even care if they have a mic. Good sound would be even better, but I feel like I may be asking too much for my price range.

Thanks in advance for the help!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Are the Audio Technica ATHWS77 any good?

A local shop has an ex display model for really cheap and i'm think of seeing what they are like but headphones are not my thing (it will be mostly phone or computer listening)

How cheap? They look like they go for about $75 new online. Looks like a flat signature with some muddy bass, but seem like a good buy. I'm a fan of Audio Technica, though.

These also look like they're supra aural instead of circum aural in case you haven't tried them on.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey guys, I have a really tough question (maybe easy for you? I can only hope).

I got a V-Moda Boom Pro on Amazon, but it was a warehouse deal. Usually I have great luck with warehouse stuff, but this time I got burned. The splitter was NOT in the package.

I suspect that some dude lost his, ordered one, and sent it back knowing that Amazon would just sell it on Warehouse. It doesn't seem like anything is missing in the package, it's a tiny part and everything fits together if you didn't know better.

Anyways this is the exact part I need. It's $9 on the V-Moda website, and 17 loving dollars on Amazon.

Here's the rub: you can buy numerous cables that fit the description, but they are completely different because the generic one has two lines on the male jacks and one, the V-Moda [pictured second] has THREE MOTHERFUCKING LINES ON IT:

Do these lines matter? I have a suspicion that with only two lines, you would get mono in each instead of stereo headset and mono mic.

Thoughts?? This is driving me insane.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The third line usually means it's for a microphone, so if you don't need that then you should be fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The third ring is for the microphone. Normal TRS will give you stereo, but the mic won't work.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Hey so my Brainwavz M5s just died. I liked them well enough, though I found them rather dark and mid bass oriented. I would like better mid and treble clarity on whatever I replace them with.

I use my good ol' 7506s for my video and sound mix work but I prefer my cheapo Superlux HD668B for movies and games.

I have some MEE M6 Sports that I hate, the mids are a cluttered, distorted mess.

Given all that, what IEMs should I buy? Don't really want to spend more than 60 bucks unless they'll survive in a soft leather pouch in my back pocket for more than 6 months.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ahhh ok, thanks guys.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to get a new pair of headphones. My Custom One Pros are nice for contemporary music, mainly stuff without need for detailed vocals, but they're god awful for classical music. I spend like 80% of my time listening to classical music, so, yeah, something new is in order. My budget is 250 CAD and below. If I need to get an amp/dac for them, I don't mind spending the extra money on one.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

NewFatMike posted:

How cheap? They look like they go for about $75 new online. Looks like a flat signature with some muddy bass, but seem like a good buy. I'm a fan of Audio Technica, though.

These also look like they're supra aural instead of circum aural in case you haven't tried them on.

By cheap i mean £20 (or around $30 inc tax pre brexit) but they were the shop ones so I didn't know how used they would be. Some one else has now got them instead. The problem I have is that I have just got a set of Superlux 668B's and even they are showing that i need to re-rip my music to something better than 128k MP3's from over a decade ago and get a better play back device. My old iPad is great sounding but the on board audio on my computer is now the limiting factor.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mederlock posted:

I want to get a new pair of headphones. My Custom One Pros are nice for contemporary music, mainly stuff without need for detailed vocals, but they're god awful for classical music. I spend like 80% of my time listening to classical music, so, yeah, something new is in order. My budget is 250 CAD and below. If I need to get an amp/dac for them, I don't mind spending the extra money on one.

I can't give the Brainwavz hm9s enough praise. I listen to classical and jazz all the time with them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone know anything about comfy headphones for kiddos? We're taking ours on a p long fight and I'd like him to have some music and sound with his movies.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Does anyone know anything about comfy headphones for kiddos? We're taking ours on a p long fight and I'd like him to have some music and sound with his movies.

Don't get ones that are "volume-limiting" - they will be completely inaudible on a flight, they won't have enough volume to be heard over the plane noise even when maxed out with most devices.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
My Logitec G430 is starting to die, so I'm looking for a replacement mostly for my computer, but would also like to use them with my 3DS and phone listening to podcasts / music. I don't need wireless, would prefer something I charge rather than using batteries as I have a portable USB battery pack.

Budget - I've never spent more than $50 on previous headphones, but I'm in a better situation to go up to $200 now if it's worth it, I'm sure the durability is better than what I have now.
Source - Computer (USB or audio port), 3DS, phone
Isolation Requirements - My computer is next to a TV that's often on, being able to reduce the noise there would be helpful so I don't have to crank up the volume. I also have some road trips and flights coming up, noise reduction there would also be nice.
Preferred Type of Headphone - No preference, really. My current headphones are over the ear, but I have cheap IEMs that I use with my phone and 3DS that I don't mind.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Maybe balanced? I have no idea. Balanced I suppose.
Past Headphones - I've never really spend money on good headphones, always using whatever came with my device or getting some cheap headset. I'm sure I won't need to spend much to get better than what I have now.
Preferred Music - Electronic / rock, but I mostly listen to podcasts or video while working or gaming.

Edit: I am replacing a headset for the PC, so I'm unsure if I'd want a headset, or just good headphones and a mic

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 9, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019U00D7K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1H24KL9UBAJZJ&coliid=I2KNUXLI9982US&psc=1

What do people think? Good deal for a budget or "get what you pay for" ?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
After looking around for a long time I got myself some Bluetooth on ear AKG Y50BT, the audio quality is alright and they're comfy(though there's not enough padding to wear them habitually round my neck but they collapse enough to fit into a coat pocket) and the price is really decent. I'd say look into them if you're looking for good Bluetooth phones that are also not huge.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
My wife just got a gaming laptop and is using a clearance rack $2 headset I found at work. I'd like to get her a decent pair. I use a set of Astro A40s myself, but I don't think she'd really appreciate me spending that much on her because she's not a big FPS gamer like me. She's after decent but not too expensive. We're in Australia.

Budget - Up to $200
Source - Into a laptop.
Isolation Requirements - I don't think it matters, she uses the laptop mostly at her desk but does carry it around.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Maybe balanced?
Past Headphones - She has used the Astro A40s and liked them well enough. She's got some shoddy cheap set now, aside from those she's used normal IEM style headphones for music in the past. She's just now getting into gaming.
Preferred Music - She listens to all kinds of stuff.

It's just for general music, TV/Movies on Netflix and playing Overwatch or any one of the dozen or so indie games she's got herself lately. An attached microphone isn't really needed, the laptop has a pretty decent one built in.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

princecoo posted:

My wife just got a gaming laptop and is using a clearance rack $2 headset I found at work. I'd like to get her a decent pair. I use a set of Astro A40s myself, but I don't think she'd really appreciate me spending that much on her because she's not a big FPS gamer like me. She's after decent but not too expensive. We're in Australia.

Budget - Up to $200
Source - Into a laptop.
Isolation Requirements - I don't think it matters, she uses the laptop mostly at her desk but does carry it around.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Maybe balanced?
Past Headphones - She has used the Astro A40s and liked them well enough. She's got some shoddy cheap set now, aside from those she's used normal IEM style headphones for music in the past. She's just now getting into gaming.
Preferred Music - She listens to all kinds of stuff.

It's just for general music, TV/Movies on Netflix and playing Overwatch or any one of the dozen or so indie games she's got herself lately. An attached microphone isn't really needed, the laptop has a pretty decent one built in.

I think you can get first generation Sennheiser Momentum over ear for pretty cheap on Amazon these days.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, I was gifted a set of Astro A50s, which I returned due to the apparently pervasive right-ear buzzing issue. Until realizing that, I liked the feature set though. Anything else for PC that delivers surround, a good fit (Subjective, obv), and maybe rotatable earpieces?

I was looking at the logitech series, but I hear they're cheapy and break quickly. My other front runner is the Hyper X Cloud II, but maybe you know something I don't.

Budget - Whatever
Source - PC and maybe PS4
Past Headphones - Astro A50

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here use IEMs as their primary computer gaming headphones? On the fence to either get a good set of IEMs, or get a closed ear headphone for home, and a cheap IEM for my laptop / phone when I'm on the road.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone who has used them: just HOW good are the Sennheiser 800S? Are we talking "I can't believe these are headphones" level of soundstaging or is it still pretty "blobs on your ears" sounding?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ShaneB posted:

Anyone who has used them: just HOW good are the Sennheiser 800S? Are we talking "I can't believe these are headphones" level of soundstaging or is it still pretty "blobs on your ears" sounding?

I believe we're talking "not worth thousands of dollars" level here.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichy posted:

I believe we're talking "not worth thousands of dollars" level here.

My understanding is that they WERE considered worth the cost.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The 800s are excellent and can immerse the hell out of you, but you'll never mistake them for speakers. That's not something you should expect from headphones, really, no matter the price. Unless binaural recording becomes mainstream, somehow.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone here use IEMs as their primary computer gaming headphones? On the fence to either get a good set of IEMs, or get a closed ear headphone for home, and a cheap IEM for my laptop / phone when I'm on the road.

I have a pair of great IEMs, great dac/amp and still use the closed Fostex Massdrop closed phones (X00?) with my computer.

How much you travel should inform this decision. I travel a ton and have different gear for travel vs home. If you don't travel much there are plenty competent IEMs for cheap.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a pair of Sennheiser 497s and the cord is going bad (only the right channel works now). I found this cable on amazon, but are there cheaper generics available?
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Repl...heiser+497+cord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have a pair of great IEMs, great dac/amp and still use the closed Fostex Massdrop closed phones (X00?) with my computer.

How much you travel should inform this decision. I travel a ton and have different gear for travel vs home. If you don't travel much there are plenty competent IEMs for cheap.

Yeah, not enough travel to need expensive IEMs. Any nice cheap ones?