Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The low-budget-stage-play nature of the show continues to crack me up.

Here we had a prime opportunity for them to show us their conception of Hell. Eugene in torment, billions of people writhing in agony, flames everywhere... and instead they shoot it with a guy getting pulled out of a sandbox, and the one-word description: "Crowded."

It's not a bad thing, it's just... they're really committing to the feel of the thing rather than the spectacle. That in itself may be the single biggest departure from the comics, since the more the story goes on the more it seems they're bending over backwards to bring familiar storylines together in a way that creates a sensible pretext for Jesse to go off on his quest that incorporates his immediate experiences across Eugene, Quincannon, Cassidy, Tulip, the angels, and Donny. So now you have Quincannon's "god of meat" being a direct challenge to Jesse to force God to answer for his poo poo and be a living force in the world, and Eugene being a catalyst for him to take his role as a preacher really seriously in a way that was never even really more than window-dressing in the comic.

Which is all great as far as I'm concerned. My only quibble is that the execution makes the show so low-key that anyone coming into it expecting something spectacular, and especially anyone who's aware that it's based on a comic book (and therefore thinking "comic book action"), is going to be left feeling pretty confused about what kind of show this is, or even what genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

They did a fantastic job of making Quincannon so much better in the show than he is in the book. " Let's not mince words. Your humans and your going to be acting as shields"

I am a huge Preacher fan and honestly this is a lot better than books. Sorry.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 18, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It's so sad seeing people too invested in the comics continue to complain because they cannot let a single difference between source and show go. This is some enjoyable TV, sucks for you if you can't get on board.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the music and shooting decisions made during every single one of the attack sequences. It's just all perfect. :allears:

Data Graham posted:

Here we had a prime opportunity for them to show us their conception of Hell. Eugene in torment, billions of people writhing in agony, flames everywhere... and instead they shoot it with a guy getting pulled out of a sandbox, and the one-word description: "Crowded."

A CGI rendition of hell? Really? I literally do not understand from what frame of reference you watch television. :shrug:

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Qmass posted:

It's so sad seeing people too invested in the comics continue to complain because they cannot let a single difference between source and show go. This is some enjoyable TV, sucks for you if you can't get on board.

I'm a huge fan of the comics and I've just had to completely mentally divorce the show from the comics, and I find the show fairly enjoyable, but it's over more than "a single difference"... It genuinely barely resembles the source material in any regard, plot, characters, backstories, it's literally all different. In fact I don't think there's literally a single thing that actually matches up with the comics besides character names, I wouldn't even say they have the same premise exactly cause Genesis has been shown to work pretty differently. That said none of it makes the show bad, but this isn't like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones level of differences, it's genuinely more different than the same.

Cybershell fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 18, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cybershell posted:

I'm a huge fan of the comics and I've just had to completely mentally divorce the show from the comics, and I find the show fairly enjoyable, but it's over more than "a single difference"... It genuinely barely resembles the source material in any regard, plot, characters, backstories, it's literally all different. In fact I don't think there's literally a single thing that actually matches up with the comics besides character names, I wouldn't even say they have the same premise exactly cause Genesis has been shown to work pretty differently. That said none of it makes the show bad, but this isn't like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones level of differences, it's genuinely more different than the same.

The only reason the comic was better is because in the comic, when Genesis inhabited Jesse it blew up the church and vaporized all of these feckless* characters I can't bring myself to care about. =/

* those otherwise known as the townspeople

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my god the music and shooting decisions made during every single one of the attack sequences. It's just all perfect. :allears:

The gunshots behind the stained glass window of Noah's Ark being framed as lightning in the clouds was pretty neat.

quote:

A CGI rendition of hell? Really? I literally do not understand from what frame of reference you watch television. :shrug:

Did I sound like I was complaining? I wasn't complaining.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only reason the comic was better is because in the comic, when Genesis inhabited Jesse it blew up the church and vaporized all of these feckless* characters I can't bring myself to care about. =/

* those otherwise known as the townspeople

This is pure speculation, but spoilered just in case: That part might still happen yet, what with Jesse going on about calling god down to provide answers. My guess is he'll do just that, but god's presence ends up nuking the congegration (or even the whole town), sparing only Jesse because of Genesis. There's a reason why that guy usually talks only through burning bushes, angels, and prophets, after all. That'd handily wrap up the storyline centered around the town and provide the impetus for the crew to go elsewhere, picking up the main thread of the comic's plot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hollismason posted:

They did a fantastic job of making Quincannon so much better in the show than he is in the book. " Let's not mince words. Your humans and your going to be acting as shields"

I am a huge Preacher fan and honestly this is a lot better than books. Sorry.

I gotta say I'm loving this Quincannon more and more with every episode. I think this idea of him (a pragmatist driven round the bend by a dire family tragedy) is way more nuanced and potentially interesting than the comic's version, a Ross Perot caricature with short-man syndrome and mommy issues who is so racist even the KKK is embarrassed by him.

Plus his acting is fuckin' fantastic. I love his line delivery, the words he chooses to emphasize, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That dude calmly walking back with his dick was just amazing. I loved how long they held that shot of him slowly shuffling his way back to the rest of the guys, it was magnificent.

That scene of Odin holding a cow's guts in one hand and his daughter's in the other demanding to know the difference between the two was just horrifying. It actually made me feel some sympathy for the psychotic little bastard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

That dude calmly walking back with his dick was just amazing. I loved how long they held that shot of him slowly shuffling his way back to the rest of the guys, it was magnificent.

Haha, and the swelling triumphant music cue. I was like "okay what in the gently caress can possibly be coming".

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

"It's all just meat"

Jesus Christ that was dark.

Eugenes actor is fantastic, he genuinely looks haunted.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 18, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Data Graham posted:

Plus his acting is fuckin' fantastic. I love his line delivery, the words he chooses to emphasize, etc.

Jackie Earle Haley is a pretty excellent actor and making him a crazy villain is possibly the best decision they've made on this show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope this show catches on more with the Netflix run.

Some people said it's hard to pin down what genre it even is, but that's why it's something special in my eyes: It is one of those shows that feels entirely unique. There's nothing out there remotely similar.

Anyway, I thought this episode was great. The human shields speech was amazing, but I have to give them huge props what they did with the Donny suicide fake-out. I was like "Well I guess he really, really didn't want to go in that loving church / live to see the men slaughtered. Still seem stupid to kill him off like that.." and then he shows up with blown eardrums and I realize he was actually being incredibly clever (if at a ridiculous cost).

Also, that poor dog. Couldn't Cassidy have been given a bunch of chickens or something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Some people said it's hard to pin down what genre it even is, but that's why it's something special in my eyes: It is one of those shows that feels entirely unique. There's nothing out there remotely similar.

I think this is probably why I'm liking it so much, yeah.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

seaborgium posted:

With Odin, I just figured he was using the part of the bible that says man has dominion over all the plants and animals, I've heard it interpreted as the Earth's resources are Man's to use as he sees fit, no need to be sustainable. The hippies would be against that, and the only way Odin has to get rid of them is to kill them.

I have to admit before the last episode I thought he was in fact serving God, and God's plan was to make sure the Earth died (hence wiping out all those people trying to save the planet). After all, God does need the end of the world to happen and all that.

Still, "God of Meat" is horrifying. If Jesse plans to somehow call God, it'll be horrifying if he calls the God of meat instead, whatever that is.

Also I'm getting a real Shining book/TV movie vibe from that thing the man needs to keep turning the pressure down on. Since people keep mentioning poo poo exploding in here I have a feeling that is going to lead to a huge explosion. If that guy isn't at work, I'm assuming bad things will happen.

ED: Also back on the Donny thing: Given the way he was smarter and more committed to beating Preacher, he'd probably ended the Jessica Jones series before the pilot was even over which just strikes me as amusing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 18, 2016

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Kinda wish it had actually been Eugene instead of a fakeout. Aside from digging out of hell being badass, the lines "crowded" and "it's not that far" being real would have stayed awesome instead of being demoted to just Jessie's conjecture on the matter.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

Still, "God of Meat" is horrifying. If Jesse plans to somehow call God, it'll be horrifying if he calls the God of meat instead, whatever that is.

Like this, but hold the cheese.

quote:

ED: Also back on the Donny thing: Given the way he was smarter and more committed to beating Preacher, he'd probably ended the Jessica Jones series before the pilot was even over which just strikes me as amusing.

That was awesome, I thought he just killed himself at first. Its nice to know the Word still has a limitation like that, since this is a very pleasant departure from the comics overall.

I could listen to Odin saying "yep" all day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ApathyGifted posted:

Kinda wish it had actually been Eugene instead of a fakeout. Aside from digging out of hell being badass, the lines "crowded" and "it's not that far" being real would have stayed awesome instead of being demoted to just Jessie's conjecture on the matter.

I dunno, I think "crowded" and "not that far" were great lines and have implication on the show regardless of being "real".

And I'm really, really glad they didn't just push the reset button on Eugene or on Jesse's mistake. Making it stick like this gives the events more weight and makes things more realistic. I'm sick of shows creating fake drama one episode only to have it be fake or somehow reversed right away the next episode, so having it end up being imaginary that he was okay was a fantastic twist.

Part of me is hoping that Eugene never returns from Hell at all. Its HELL after all. If you can just waltz down there and grab people, it creates a ton of problems (anytime somebody dies, can Jesse just bring them back? Then death has no significance) and also takes the real punch out of hell, which by all reason in a very religious show should be pretty evil and scary.

The only rub there was that Arseface is a great character and the actor's pretty good, so I think they will bring him back eventually and I'm okay with that. So long as it takes real work and can't be done easily so that doesn't create plot holes in the future. The one angel mentioned it could be done while the other said it wasn't, which implies that it is possible but very difficult or unlikely to happen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even if we don't see the real Arseface anymore, I imagine they've set up the Head Arseface trick as a way to keep the actor involved with the show and the character an active part of Jesse's life. He might be "gone" already now, but I don't think we've seen the last of him.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Head Arseface is a good way to have a third party moral conversation without infringing on the likeness of John Wayne.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Head Arseface will finally give John Crichton's Harvey some competition in the semi-imaginary, side character, ugly race.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyway, I thought this episode was great. The human shields speech was amazing, but I have to give them huge props what they did with the Donny suicide fake-out. I was like "Well I guess he really, really didn't want to go in that loving church / live to see the men slaughtered. Still seem stupid to kill him off like that.." and then he shows up with blown eardrums and I realize he was actually being incredibly clever (if at a ridiculous cost).

Thanks for mentioning this, I was really confused when I watched it, but this makes complete sense.

I thought this episode was the first one where it really felt like a Garth Ennis book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ Right down to the goofy "run away, run awaaaay" hard-cuts right after the military charges on the church :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"He didn't say nuthin', he just kicked our asses :downs:"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Not only is Odin more imposing that the weird rear end in a top hat who is repeatedly clowned by Jesse in the comics, they're actually making him more sympathetic. In regards to his talk of the "God of Meat," it opens up the possibility of the comic's meat mannequin appearing in the show. In the comic it was just another expression of what a pathetic little creep he was, and now it can mean something a lot different.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Filthy Casual posted:

Like this, but hold the cheese.

That was awesome, I thought he just killed himself at first. Its nice to know the Word still has a limitation like that, since this is a very pleasant departure from the comics overall.

I could listen to Odin saying "yep" all day.

In the comics the Grail at one point dispatches assassins that speak no english at all, so the Word doesn't work on them. So there are some ways around it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't think were gonna get season 2 there guys.

AMC will just have to find another bad thing to make a show about so they can run Chris Hardhat for an hour afterwards. Maybe they could combine this with that kung fu show!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You mean season 3, since season 2 was already ordered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tenzarin posted:

Don't think were gonna get season 2 there guys.

AMC will just have to find another bad thing to make a show about so they can run Chris Hardhat for an hour afterwards. Maybe they could combine this with that kung fu show!

First, those numbers are almost all than breaking bad ever did in its first season.

Second, they already purchased a second season.

Third, if you look those numbers are actually going up after the 4th episode, not consistently down.

Another Tenzarin screwup :cheeky:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

First, those numbers are almost all than breaking bad ever did in its first season.

Second, they already purchased a second season.

Third, if you look those numbers are actually going up after the 4th episode, not consistently down.

Another Tenzarin screwup :cheeky:

I'll be waiting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Edit:

I don't even care. This show is good and I'm glad it got a second season.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 18, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its a scientology tv show, the story sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If this ends up like Hannibal and I "only" get three beautiful, glorious, joyous seasons then I guess I'll just have to live with that v:shobon:v

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're likely hoping that this will get noticed on Netflix. I hope it does; it's getting lots of critical praise but holy poo poo these ratings are bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tenzarin posted:

Its a scientology tv show, the story sucks.

Why are you still watching then? Move on, thanks.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

GreenNight posted:

Why are you still watching then? Move on, thanks.

THIS SHOW WE LIKE IS BAD AND THIS STALWART DEFENDER OF TRUTH MUST FIX US

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Who gives a poo poo about ratings. Halt and Catch Fire is coming back for a third season and that show gets half a million viewers per episode.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

I'll be waiting.

Don't remind me about what they did to my beautiful Sleepy Hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

platero posted:

Don't remind me about what they did to my beautiful Sleepy Hollow.

Didn't it end up getting renewed despite all odds?

• Locked thread