Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WickedHate posted:

I don't like it because of just how ripped from the headlines it is. Don't get me wrong, it is accurate and this is the kind of thing should be discussed in the media, but it ends up feeling like a copy+paste cobbled together from various essays and the like. Might as well have just been the characters sitting on a stage giving a lecture, and it's not helped by how unconnected the plot feels to everything else.

>peruses rap sheet

Oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

>peruses rap sheet

Oh word?

Haha holy poo poo I didn't even realize it was WickedHate saying that. That takes it to a whole other level.

(Also I love your mod icon.)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm about halfway through season one, about to watch The Telescope (which I heard really sets the tone of the show) and I have to say I'm ashamed of how much I laughed at the rooster jogger.

twistedmentat posted:

Considering how much they were over for Zootopia, i'd think they would also have the same thing for this, but then the animal people are not really dawn in the way that Furries would want to spank it to.

Sonic the Hedgehog.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

>peruses rap sheet

Oh word?

I don't get what that has anything to do with it? I agree with everything the writers were trying but just didn't find the execution entertaining, and obviously if it wasn't directly based on the huge Cosby blowup that adds another dimension to it too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

More terrible opinions to toss on the dumpster fire that is you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Yeah, I have to completely disagree. Hank After Dark might not be as funny as other episodes but it's one of the best episodes, especially leading into Let's Find Out (which might be my favorite episode to rewatch).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

i am the bird posted:

Yeah, I believe so. I'm pretty sure RBW said that in an interview. It's not like Cosby is the only creepazoid protected by fame, money, and a patriarchal, sexist society.
Yeah the whole Hank Hippopotalus thing felt a lot more like the Roger Ailes stuff , or that it was literally just a "yeah everybody in the industry knows one of these high powered creeps" thing that happened to dovetail with Cosby.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Yeah, I have to completely disagree. Hank After Dark might not be as funny as other episodes but it's one of the best episodes, especially leading into Let's Find Out (which might be my favorite episode to rewatch).

Let's Find Out may be my all-time favorite episode.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
My suspicion is that it was meant to be Cosby, especially as an old sitcom star (that's what he was right?), but it was based on Hollywood insider stuff rather than the post-Burress blow up. I mean he's got a Greekish last name but he even kinda sounds like Cosby.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure literally everywhere there are cameras, old men, and young women involved some version of that story has played out. Just look at the poo poo blowing up about Fox News CEO Roger Ailes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Greatbacon posted:

I'm pretty sure literally everywhere there are cameras, old men, and young women involved some version of that story has played out. Just look at the poo poo blowing up about Fox News CEO Roger Ailes.

See also: BBC

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Something that got pointed out when Season Two came out and there were a bunch of YOU MUST WATCH THIS ONE EPISODE RIGHT NOW thinkpieces is that it's never specified what Hank "allegedly" has done/is doing to his female assistants. IIRC the episode doesn't even make it clear that it's necessarily any kind of sexual abuse, and it's not like Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman couldn't discuss rape/sexual assault in blunt terms if it wanted to.

The story is about Diane and how nobody in her life is willing to stand up for her (besides Bojack, but only to a limit), not about how Hank is diddling little kids or whatever.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Not just Diane -- women. That episode (along with the Master of None episode on sexism) were perfect 2015 representation of the everyday bullshit a woman could face.

The "hey, smile!" at the end of the episode was perfect. Innocuous on the surface but ultimately a man telling a woman what she should do with her body/emotions.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

FadingChord posted:

Something that got pointed out when Season Two came out and there were a bunch of YOU MUST WATCH THIS ONE EPISODE RIGHT NOW thinkpieces is that it's never specified what Hank "allegedly" has done/is doing to his female assistants. IIRC the episode doesn't even make it clear that it's necessarily any kind of sexual abuse, and it's not like Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman couldn't discuss rape/sexual assault in blunt terms if it wanted to.

The story is about Diane and how nobody in her life is willing to stand up for her (besides Bojack, but only to a limit), not about how Hank is diddling little kids or whatever.

I like that they left you guessing. Hank could be a representation of any of the lovely people Diane lists off at the beginning of the episode. He could be a creep like Woody Allen, or a woman beater like Sean Penn. Ultimately, what he has done doesn't really matter. I didn't really see it as being ripped from the headlines. The story had parallels to Cosby in the way the women were treated, but not in the actual crimes.

Also, Titpuncher. Holy poo poo that made me laugh. Then I kinda wanted to cry because it's too accurate.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I wish they would release the raw cuts of the NPR ringtones.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I like that they left you guessing. Hank could be a representation of any of the lovely people Diane lists off at the beginning of the episode. He could be a creep like Woody Allen, or a woman beater like Sean Penn. Ultimately, what he has done doesn't really matter. I didn't really see it as being ripped from the headlines. The story had parallels to Cosby in the way the women were treated, but not in the actual crimes.

Also, Titpuncher. Holy poo poo that made me laugh. Then I kinda wanted to cry because it's too accurate.

Fight Club is a good and important movie.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh man, rewatching the show's first two seasons and I forgot how much I love all the characters on this show. Oh my God I want plushies of all of them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

Oh man, rewatching the show's first two seasons and I forgot how much I love all the characters on this show. Oh my God I want plushies of all of them.
Boreanaz House Playset

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I wish they would release the raw cuts of the NPR ringtones.

I've been using the Serial ringtone since the week the second season came out :3:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just wanna be clear that I didn't dislike the episode because I thought it had bad politics or because I think Cosby is the only high powered creep. It just felt so unbelievably synced with the Cosby stuff it was an instant reaction to assume it was a direct response, give or take my being fuzzy on how the events lined up with the production schedule, and so it seemed weirder. I still don't particularly enjoy it, but it had some good biting commentary and development of Diane's character. I dislike other episodes too, but in general love the hell out of Bojack and would rank it as one of my all time favorite TV shows.

In It For The Tank posted:

Fight Club is a good and important movie.

This makes me sad though, because it's totally accurate. Fight Club is a good and important movie and as a girl I hate that red pillers totally hijacked it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WickedHate posted:

I mean, I know how time consuming it is to produce a season of a television show, I must have just been fuzzy on the timeline of events-but not being based on Cosby directly is such a surreal idea to me because it matches up so closely to Cosby specifically. It has to be one of those freak coincidences, like the spontaneous creation of two Dennis the Menaces at the same time in different countries.

See also how both the Simpsons and Family Guy managed to make the "Jebus" joke at almost exactly the same time, independently (and FG did it first, much to my disbelief).

E: well poo poo, I missed a page, thought we were just being flippant

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know why, but using the phrase Funky Spider-Man to describe Auto-erotic Asphyxiation makes me laugh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This season had better be good because it's given me a reason to live and so I better be looking forward to S4 when it's over

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay. Somebody take this one.

I'm really looking forward to meeting Jill Pill.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder what Bojacks other TV show was. There's a lot set up at the end of 2. Besides that, we have Princess Caroline setting up her own agency, and then there's whatevers going on with Diane and Mr Peanutbutter. Even though it looks like he forgave her for coming back and not telling him, its possible he's repressing it.

Also, Bojack admitting Todd was his best friend, I hope that means he gets to have the spare bedroom.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

This season had better be good because it's given me a reason to live and so I better be looking forward to S4 when it's over

Are... are you okay? :sympathy:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what Bojacks other TV show was. There's a lot set up at the end of 2.
I set you up for the "Jill Pill?" easy quote-along, and you go into actual thought-provoking analysis.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, Princess Carolyn at the gym gives the side eye to a cheetah next to her running a lot faster and there's a sloth on the other side just hanging off the bars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Looks like Abe won't be around any more. :(

Garry Marshall, ‘Pretty Woman’ Director, Dies at 81

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what Bojacks other TV show was.

It's probably a reference to how many popular sitcom actors from the 90's went on to be the lead on a new show a year or so later only to crash and burn.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Luckily the show prepared for this by having a backup Mr. Garry Marshall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jill Pill is either human or a giant Pill Bug.

I always wondered if the directors sweater was meant to look like a football play, because he's clearly designed to be very blue collar.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's doesn't look anything like a football play.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
It could be rugby or cricket. Or it's a declaration of how much he enjoys hugs and kisses. Or it could be an extremely standard knit sweater design. Or it could be a simplified complex representation of every dumbasses need to over analyze every bit of minutia but completely miss that his water bottle "pasce gatto" is a type of catfish.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Thought it just mean catfish in like Italian or something. Good eye though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Are... are you okay? :sympathy:

No, that's why I identify with this show.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Pick posted:

No, that's why I identify with this show.
:smith::respek::smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god I hope I don't have work tomorrow because I kinda want to finish my current rewatch and then just keep watching as season 3 comes up

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm slavishly devoted to this show and will probably buy a bunch of fancy breakfast stuff and set my alarm to wake up early and binge.

I have sadbrains and this show hits me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is the show coming out at midnight tonight?