Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bishop Beo posted:

Yeah, they really nailed the internal design on the cyclops. My one wish would be some sort of docking collar so you could dock it at your base without having to swim.

I could have sworn this feature was listed on the roadmap (with a screenshot even) but now I can't find it. I think this was the screenshot

I'd settle for solar panel modules on the cyclops; give it a reason to surface once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

I could have sworn this feature was listed on the roadmap (with a screenshot even) but now I can't find it. I think this was the screenshot

It was, possibly scrapped in favour of battery charger?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lonos Oboe posted:

I don't get much opportunity during play as there is little that can hurt you in it. But when it starts to fill up with water and tips in crazy angles it's a lot of fun/terrifying. I would dig a multiplayer mod that crossed Air Buccaneers with Silent Hunter. Have a crew inside loading torpedos, manning sonar and repairing damage.

Well, its not Subnautica, but have you seen this game in development?

http://www.subsim.com/2016/preview_HMSMarulken.php

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Truga posted:

It was, possibly scrapped in favour of battery charger?

I think its still part of the plans but way way down the line. The battery charger (in very rudimentary form) appeared about the same time but I get the impression they're not linked.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Okay, apparently these rabbit rays don't follow the 10 per large aquarium limit...? Are they going to max out at some point, or are they just going to keep multiplying like tribbles until my aquarium becomes an impossibly dense meat tube and it crashes my game?

BTW oh my goodness this game is so great. I picked TLD up over Subnautica a while back, but turns out that this is waaaaaaaay more up my alley.

In my book, one of the little touches that makes this game so much fun is the 100% material recovery upon deconstruction. That does so much to encourage experimentation and eliminates so much frustration. I like tinkering and tweaking and constantly improving my set-up, and most survival/crafting games make that a headache.

Okay enough typing, back to my brand new moonpool.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The limit is per specific piece of tank. If you have a 3-high Large Aquarium, you have a limit of 30.

Also Rabbit Rays might be able to get around the limit somewhat since they lay eggs and I'm not sure the eggs are counted as part of the limit. Once your actual number of rays hits the limit though they should stop laying eggs, but any eggs already out will still hatch.

Or they might ignore the limit, I know I had to clean out my creepvine aquarium of gasopods, stalkers and rabbit rays because holy cow rabbit rays were everywhere in that thing. Moved a whole bunch of them into a single tank (and like, 3 lockers animal sizes are glitchy) and had no problems.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

In my book, one of the little touches that makes this game so much fun is the 100% material recovery upon deconstruction. That does so much to encourage experimentation and eliminates so much frustration. I like tinkering and tweaking and constantly improving my set-up, and most survival/crafting games make that a headache.

Just don't accidentally deconstruct the locker that has all your personal equipment in it, that poo poo will not be recovered :downsgun:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My rabbit rays have finally stopped laying eggs, so that's a relief. There must be 30 of the things in their single-unit habitat, though.

I'm generally not a big fraidy cat about video games, but last night I was puttering along at night, looked up, and saw a the silhouette of a reaper pass over the face of the big moon/planet directly above me. Best completely organic jump scare ever. Noped the gently caress outta there.

Also finally built my big-boy sub just before bed last night; can't wait to customize it a bit and head out on a long shakedown cruise tonight.

edit: I've got like 25 hours in so far. People have been saying 10-ish for the content, but if you love building and blinging out bases as much as I do, that aspect adds a fair bit of runtime. And I only have one megabase so far; I'd still like to build an array of cool-rear end outposts at various biomes and other points of interest.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 18, 2016

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, its not Subnautica, but have you seen this game in development?

http://www.subsim.com/2016/preview_HMSMarulken.php

Shame it got cancelled, but it did not seem different enough to Silent Hunter and others to make an impression. A cool arcade style mod would be sweet. I am sure that someone talented could whip it up in unity in 5 minutes. A level where you and other subs have to hunt whales for points or try and hunt mega shark vs giant octopus scale creatures would flood my torpedo bay.

I am at the 12-15 hour mark now and I made some fast enough progress. That said I have not really mapped out the world or explored fully and only built a decent size but totally practical open base. Lots of tech I just have not tried yet. You spend a lot of time early on catching food and hunting for resources. But it's rarely a grind and you can stock up very quickly. You normally find about 5 or 6 of a resource you want at a time.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 18, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It got cancelled in favour of being funded by subsim. It's still the same game, but it'll be a type 7 uboat instead of a fantasy uboat. Dunno yet if that's good or bad, but there's a shitload of documentation and pictures of type 7s around so it'll probably look a bit better than their old demo did at least :v:

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Ah cool, I clicked the Kickstarter and must have missed that on the link. I must keep an eye out for it. It's a great idea and I have hung around the Subsim forums and there is an audience out there anyway.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I wanna buy this game. This is smart, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's a lot of fun for 10-25 hours.

e: Subnautica, that is.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I wanna buy this game. This is smart, right?

I'd say its well worth the $20. Keep in mind though that it's early access still and also goes on sale frequently.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Away all Goats posted:

I'd say its well worth the $20. Keep in mind though that it's early access still and also goes on sale frequently.

Well I just bought for $20 so :shrug:. Any major things I should know before I start?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Um ...

Don't drown.
Fish are a pain to catch, breed them in alien isolation tanks.
Silver can be found in the kelp forest, in sandstone deposits.
Time continues to run (and you continue using air) while you're looking at your PDA.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Silver was the hardest thing for me to find as a new player. I never found any in kelp.

However, I did find them in the red grass areas. A trick on a quick second playthrough found that the scanner would highlight sandstone nodes if I didn't scan them. They're also easier to see from above.

I also found sandstone nodes in a hydrothermal vent in the safe shallows.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You need to be quite deep in the kelp forest to find it. The best place to get silver is the kelp forest in the opposite direction of the Aurora wreck from your escape pod. There's a volcano vent in a cave there with lots of deposits and an entrance to a deeper cavern (bring a flashlight).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The biggest tip for a completely new player is: don't refine materials until you need to with the sole exception of metal salvage -> titanium. Nothing in the game uses metal salvage, quite a lot of things use titanium. The base materials are very handy to have around.

Crash powder can also be kinda hard to find for a welder to fix the lifeboat. Crash powder can be found in caves where suicidal explosive pufferfish live. They're mainly red with a yellow eye and you'll get a warbly urrrrrr when you're close enough to a crash home for it to activate.
Swim away from the fish until they explode (preferably only one fish) and go back to the shell of their home to find the powder.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Silver is definitely one of the bigger stopgap items. Down to being only in sandstone, still a 1/3 chance for sandstone to be silver, and a ton of the progression items needing silver (some up to 3 total).

My biggest newbie regret was trying to work out of a collection of floating waterproof lockers once the lifepod inventory got full, just because I didn't want to build anything until I was ready to make a full base.

Even so much as a single corridor with some lockers shoved into it by my Lifepod made a HUGE difference, and also made preparing to build a proper base somewhere easier.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah. As soon as you can just drop a room under your lifeboat. Everything constructed can be refunded for the full materials so don't be afraid of "doing it wrong" the first time because you want everything to be perfect.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've never been able to get the knack of dodging crashes, aside from blind luck its death every time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Davoren posted:

I've never been able to get the knack of dodging crashes, aside from blind luck its death every time.

If it helps you feel better, my first two deaths were going from 100% health to dead from Crash.

They are a real bitch and a half to even "side dodge" until you have fins, and that requires a convenient cave shape of for there not to be more than one of them.

Much easier once you get Ultrafins (again, provided cave shape and numbers", but generally outrunning them entirely with a seaglide is the first point they become managable.

Propulsion gun is fun, but for whatever reason whenever I catch them with the prop gun and fire them somewhere else, there is never any crash powder in their pod or where I shot them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're dying to crash? I usually swim away from them and then lose about 40 health when they explode. I grab the crash powder and then pick up a health pack from the lifepod.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Seaglide sucks up batteries insanely fast. I had a seamoth before the battery charger.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

My biggest newbie regret was basically forgetting about this-

The dive line is really buggy but still handy for caves.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

You're dying to crash? I usually swim away from them and then lose about 40 health when they explode. I grab the crash powder and then pick up a health pack from the lifepod.

I'm wondering if I was getting some kind of bug there at the beginning, when I started playing this finally towards the end of June. The first time I died to crash from 100% health I had no idea what it was that killed me. The second time I actually got about 1 second to see it as I rounded a corner and boom there goes 100% health.

Once I looked up what they were, no more instant kills even if they caught up to me and blew up while headbutting me in the groin :v:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Reztes posted:

The dive line is really buggy but still handy for caves.

My favorite dive line bug is, if you die while attached to one, you'll respawn still attached to your anchor point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dive line or no, caves are too freaky for me.. Also diving too deep or at night.

Basically I just stay in my cool base and await rescue.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wait till you go so deep that there's never sunlight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've done that and I don't care for it.. Main reason I don't like the grand reef.

Cyclops needs better flood lights, light everything up like the frickin sun dammit!!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

I've done that and I don't care for it.. Main reason I don't like the grand reef.

Cyclops needs better flood lights, light everything up like the frickin sun dammit!!

Lighting is really weird and needs to be looked at. There's no light until suddenly there's a ton of it, and looking at the light source...it's still pitch black. My seamoth doesn't have any glowing headlamps or anything.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
I just got this game in the steam sale and have to say that cave diving in the Oculas DK2 was amazing. Definitely got me sweating and the heart rate up. It must be amazing with the CV 1 or the Vive and a PC powerful enough to keep up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PerrineClostermann posted:

Lighting is really weird and needs to be looked at. There's no light until suddenly there's a ton of it, and looking at the light source...it's still pitch black. My seamoth doesn't have any glowing headlamps or anything.

It's probably as much the draw distances as the lighting mechanics. When you are out in the open you just sort of expect to not see stuff "Because it's dark" or the foggy water effects, etc, and just naturally assume it's all the lighting's fault.

But the Jellyshroom caves in particular can really drive home how much this game's draw distances matter to lighting even on max settings. When are seeing pitch black voids suddenly flip the on switch for the all the giant light up mushrooms once you pass their "gently caress rendering this" threshold, or turning off in the distance behind you when you leave. Obviously you are never anywhere near darkness in that particular situation, but with no middle ground in what should be a permanently lit biome, a clear view out to where it just stops rendering things really stands out.

Even if they give us super nuclear powered floodlights, can't shine a light on nothing.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 19, 2016

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I wonder if I could figure out a way to build some kind of skyscraper type setup that rose above the water. One tower should be pretty easy but I gotta figure out how to make more and then connect all the stuff without plummeting a thousand miles into the surf.

Reztes posted:

I wish there was a Dark Souls edit of this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Solomonic posted:

I wonder if I could figure out a way to build some kind of skyscraper type setup that rose above the water. One tower should be pretty easy but I gotta figure out how to make more and then connect all the stuff without plummeting a thousand miles into the surf.

I mathed out something like this. For one tower you'll need two 'scaffolding' towers in order to build upward, one being the actual tower of multipurpose rooms, the other being a giant vertical connector for instant ground level resource access, and the third being Foundations that you step out on in order to build upwards. There's even a super-shallow plateau with enough room to pull it off on.

But it will be annoyingly arduous because it's really easy to place things below you and rather hard to place them above you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's also a lighting problem where constructed items will show lighting from the opposite side of the day/night cycle, so they appear dark when they're lit up and shine in the darkness. It's especially bad for appliances on the cyclops, but I've also seen it with items like seabase hatches or scannable furniture in wrecks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Solomonic posted:

I wish there was a Dark Souls edit of this.

"There is nothing in this Belfry worth dying for."

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Solomonic posted:

People have totally done this (and other, crazier things), if you look in the screenshots section on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Met posted:

The Seaglide sucks up batteries insanely fast. I had a seamoth before the battery charger.

I could swear that is only in a recent update. When I got the game in March you could swim to the Aurora and back with loads of juice to spare.

Still unsure about charging batteries and power cells. I work as a cameraman, so pretty much every day of my life I have to be fastidious about charging them and keeping them labelled and organised. I can't sleep at night unless everything is charged, even if I am not working. It's just habit and it's ironic doing it in a game. It also feels a little unbalanced. Once you get like 30 of the suckers you can blow though them and then spend ages charging them which is just busy work that could be spent exploring for resources. I would rather along the lines of parking your sub over a volcanic vent to charge them or something like that, then I would have six spare lockers and a lot more juice. Heck, even a high end disposable battery that lasts 3 times as long but needs more resources to build would be rad.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 21, 2016