Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nail Rat posted:

I remember getting Fester's Quest at Target or some poo poo as a little kid because it was super cheap and I could buy it with my allowance.

Turns out there was a reason for it being so cheap.

True story that was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid. I used to play it all the time and I'm sure I sunk well over a hundred hours into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Has there been a gdq speedrun of Fester's Quest? It seems like the kind of game someone would exploit the hell out of, of for nothing more than pure spite.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When I was 11 my grandma took me to K mart to buy a vidya game. I chose Rocko's Modern Life over Super Metro is because I was an idiot kid. I still wake up upset over that choice.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Back in stock on amazon.de

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Back in stock on amazon.de

Amazon UK as well.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Still has not been in stock once on Amazon US :negative:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Seems really weird that they listed it and it's been like 4 days or something since then, still not actually for sale.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I was going to buy this immediately but I think I'll wait now. It seems like it's generating enough buzz that maybe Nintendo will release a better version in the future.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Obsurveyor posted:

I was going to buy this immediately but I think I'll wait now. It seems like it's generating enough buzz that maybe Nintendo will release a better version in the future.

That seems backwards to me. Why would they need to release a better version? If this one sells gangbusters, they'll probably just keep rereleasing this same one until interest dies out. Then they'll do SNES Classic, etc.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

That seems backwards to me. Why would they need to release a better version? If this one sells gangbusters, they'll probably just keep rereleasing this same one until interest dies out. Then they'll do SNES Classic, etc.

Companies release premium versions of products based on the success of introductory ones all the time.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lol if you min/max a $60 purchase

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Obsurveyor posted:

Companies release premium versions of products based on the success of introductory ones all the time.

The premium version will be the SNES classic.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

There is one truly premium mini console.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Nail Rat posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of a SNES classic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I will be buying this in hopes of a SNES version being released.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nail Rat posted:

Amazon has some kind of "thing" with Nintendo. It's the same sort of "thing" that keeps Chromecast and AppleTV support off of Prime Video. So for once it's probably not Nintendo being the bigger twat.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Local preorders are available here in Finland, and the console itself appears to be 80€, or $88, while the extra controllers are 20€, or $22. I'm pretty sure our VAT isn't actually 120%.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Veib posted:

Local preorders are available here in Finland, and the console itself appears to be 80€, or $88, while the extra controllers are 20€, or $22. I'm pretty sure our VAT isn't actually 120%.

Amazon.de's price on the console is 70€ for what that's worth.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Since they're not doing USB or add-ons or what have you, the obvious route is sequel mini-consoles.

Make a Mini-NES 2 and make it look like this:

Use this one for notable games missing from the first Mini-NES. Stuff like Mega Man 3, Blades of Glory, Castlevania III, Blaster Master, Life Force, Contra, maybe try and get licensed titles if possible (TMNT, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers?).

Then make a Mini-NES 3 and make it look like this:

Focus on stuff popular in Japan. River City Ransom, Dragon Warrior, Golf, Adventure Island. Toss Earthbound Origins here.

Nintendo would make a killing before they'd even have to touch a Mini-SNES.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I see we've reached the stage where people explain to Nintendo how their business works again

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yes they should pay me money, I agree.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Controller is up on Amazon.de, appears to be limited to 1 per customer.

https://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-Clas...+NES-Controller

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IcePhoenix posted:

Counterpoint: Bloody Tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtR94bqABzk

shame it wasn't in Castlevania:HD

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know this guy's been done to death but he does a really solid cover of that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFqYeXKK3I

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Le vrai jeu de puissance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGVilt3Rls

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ugh...the controller cord looks obnoxiously short.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really hope they capture the sheer durability of the original controller. That thing was loving solid. Looks like the hard corners are still there, at least :laugh: the button materials look slightly different, though that may just be the lighting.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I went through the list of Virtual Console games and here's a list of 30 titles that could potentially be in round 2 of this thing.

A Boy and His Blob
Baseball
Bases Loaded
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Blades of Steel
Blaster Master
Castlevania 3
City Connection
Clu Clu Land
Double Dragon
Elevator Action
Faxanadu
Ice Hockey
Life Force
Mega Man 3
Mighty Bomb Jack
Milon's Secret Castle
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
River City Ransom
Shadow of the Ninja
Sky Kid
Solomon's Key
Spelunker
Star Tropics 2
Super Dodge Ball
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
The Legend of Kage
Wrecking Crew
Xevious

Now if they could just clear the rights to Contra that'd be a good set.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Ugh...the controller cord looks obnoxiously short.

What kind of life you living if you don't put the console in your lap while you play?

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

What kind of life you living if you don't put the console in your lap while you play?

A life where my junks don't get hot

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I really want to buy a couple of those controllers and swap the PCB with my real NES controllers, since the real ones are all yellowed and the plastic screw holes on one of them have broken off.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

I really want to buy a couple of those controllers and swap the PCB with my real NES controllers, since the real ones are all yellowed and the plastic screw holes on one of them have broken off.

I would imagine that the internal spacing/screw hole locations might be different between the two, but you could always try it with one of those cheapo USB NES controllers first.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone have any info if/when Gamestop is doing pre-orders? Will be a hell of a lot easier to get one in store than probably off Amazon.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I would imagine that the internal spacing/screw hole locations might be different between the two, but you could always try it with one of those cheapo USB NES controllers first.

I did an innards swap between a NES pad and a USB clone pad because the clone pad had sharp edges and stiff buttons and d-pad. All the screw positions on each PCB and she'll were identical.

That doesn't necessarily mean these new pads will be the same, but if the manufacturer of the clones were bothering to make new molds that matched the old design, I would expect Nintendo to do so as well.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone have any info if/when Gamestop is doing pre-orders? Will be a hell of a lot easier to get one in store than probably off Amazon.

I'd like to know more about pre-orders too. I'm gonna buy like three of these.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I want to buy one for my 9 and 5 year old nieces. I hope they like it and aren't all "this is some old poo poo it's not even touchscreen like my iPad games"

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Kevyn posted:

I want to buy one for my 9 and 5 year old nieces. I hope they like it and aren't all "this is some old poo poo it's not even touchscreen like my iPad games"

After showing some 8 bit games to my 5 year old the thing about them is they are really difficult. Especially compared to modern games. My son crushes Minecraft but Super Mario presents many difficulties. In a way the games only work in a "this is the only game I own and I want to beat it" type way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kevyn posted:

You have to use your hands? What is this a baby game?!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't think about it until today but they really need to make sure the controller cord is sufficiently long or it's going to be a complete pain to play for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wank posted:

After showing some 8 bit games to my 5 year old the thing about them is they are really difficult. Especially compared to modern games. My son crushes Minecraft but Super Mario presents many difficulties. In a way the games only work in a "this is the only game I own and I want to beat it" type way.

Also the "language" of video games is different. I'm sure you've seen someone who would throw their whole body when jumping in Mario because it was their first ever video game. Well if you want a laugh then find someone whose only experience was early arcade games and sit them down for a game where controls and camera are seprate, they will probably be physically incapable of looking and moving independently.

I don't think old games necessarily are more difficult (although some intentionally were to a high degree, thanks anti-rental initiatives) but once you know the language behind them you could blaze through it with enough time.