Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Madra De Dhia posted:

it's just so...homegrown

That's a sad, sad pork chop. It tastes like leather and grease, and not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Madra De Dhia posted:

it's just so...homegrown

When I said 'let the pork chop rest' I didn't mean 'build it a pyre'

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That chop needed 2-3 more minutes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Leek, eggplant, and injera? What the gently caress is that stuff

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Xen Tricks posted:

Leek, eggplant, and injera? What the gently caress is that stuff

Counterclockwise from top: tofu, zucchini, and fennel

A grad student made this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Madra De Dhia posted:

it's just so...homegrown

I feel like I grew up eating this sort of meal...
:smith:

For the longest time I just thought I didn't like steak because my mother would only ever cook it well-done. When I finally started cooking... oh how I learned.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It needs some kind of sauce but it's probably not terrible, it's mostly that the photography is rear end. The tofu looks very nice and crispy, and I've had zucchini chips that were very tasty, IDK about the sad attempt at fennel though. It kind of looks like they wanted to pan sear/fry it and then just got lazy half way through and stopped. Also they did it wrong, pan seared/fried fennel is really good but you're not supposed to peel it apart like that, you're supposed to keep it together so the searing gives it flavor and the layers hold the moisture inside. All in all I think what it's really missing is some kind of creamy dip for the chips, more oil/salt/pepper on the fennel and maybe some kind of spicy sweet glaze or drizzle on the tofu.

Basically what I'm saying is that if they weren't an idiot they could have fixed this depressing shitstack with ten minutes and a wok.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I feel like I grew up eating this sort of meal...
:smith:

For the longest time I just thought I didn't like steak because my mother would only ever cook it well-done. When I finally started cooking... oh how I learned.

That was my feeling on pork and lamb, because my father cooked those. He came from a English family with a stop in Newfoundland, and, well... At least he learned to steam vegetables instead of boil them by the time I was about ten.

I'm still not a huge pork fan (though ham's good), but lamb's probably my favourite of the meats.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Counterclockwise from top: tofu, zucchini, and fennel

A grad student made this.

What, seriously? Who the hell cuts tofu lengthwise and where do you even find a zucchini that big?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I discovered a local asian grocery's site has a recipe section. Mixed in with normal stuff is mayo where it doesn't belong.

"Mashed Tofu Salada w/ Avocado & Cream Cheese" (2 tbsp mayo, and no ingredients matching the leafy garnish)

"Mochi Mayo Gratin" (6 tbsp mayo)

"Fresh Salad with Chicken Strips and Okura" (Mayo "as needed", 3 tbsp of loose corn)

And not mayo, but:

"Grilled Squid & Mushrooms in Foil" (Directions include the line 'Place foil on a plate, open up top of the foil and garnish with lemon then enjoy!!')

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Haifisch posted:

"Mashed Tofu Salada w/ Avocado & Cream Cheese" (2 tbsp mayo, and no ingredients matching the leafy garnish)

Did they seriously use broccoli as a garnish?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roro posted:

Did they seriously use broccoli as a garnish?

Seen it many times in Asia.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the lifehack thread, so I'll just post this in both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxpwbWBNuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuFh5E4eYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRN3hjzVkQ

twoday has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Jul 19, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Xen Tricks posted:

What, seriously? Who the hell cuts tofu lengthwise and where do you even find a zucchini that big?

Have you ever grown zucchini? It can go from "reasonably sized" to "ridiculously huge and flavorless" in as short as an extra day or two of growing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the lifehack thread, so I'll just post this in both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxpwbWBNuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuFh5E4eYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRN3hjzVkQ

I'm not able to comprehend the level of competence he expects from his audience. In order, these are for people who 1. Can prepare a bowl of shredded cheese, but cannot figure out how to put those three bowls into a larger one, 2. Owns multiple pizza stones and can put them in their oven but can't figure out how to do that twice, and 3. Can use a pizza cutter and understands what a 36 degree angle cut is, but can't figure out how to do that three additional times. This is some next-level competence-incompetence blending going on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's not really the same thing, but it reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The New York Post posted this article about how most of our food is fake. The guy's book seems to be getting a good amount of publicity considering how often I've heard about this today from different sources:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

Similar article about Tampa Bay:
http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/food/farm-to-fable/restaurants/

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Ugh it's clickbait in book form

One man was SHOCKED when he found out which common foods are COUNTERFEIT

Also it's not like wood pulp is sawdust swept up from a carpenter's floor--it's food-grade plant fiber added in small amounts to keep your shaky cheese from clumping up. People who aren't trying to sell books call it "cellulose" wait I mean ewwwwwwww sawdust in my cheese, better buy the book to find out which brands include it

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jul 19, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hey guys, did you know your fruit juice is mostly water?

BUY MY BOOK!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Saw this at the store this afternoon and thought of you, thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Ugh it's clickbait in book form

One man was SHOCKED when he found out which common foods are COUNTERFEIT

Also it's not like wood pulp is sawdust swept up from a carpenter's floor--it's food-grade plant fiber added in small amounts to keep your shaky cheese from clumping up. People who aren't trying to sell books call it "cellulose" wait I mean ewwwwwwww sawdust in my cheese, better buy the book to find out which brands include it

There's sensationalist stuff like that, but at the same time, buying one type of fish and getting served another seems like it should be illegal? It's also good to call out the BS of food labels like farm to table and whatnot and tell people that they're pretty much meaningless.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rollersnake posted:

Aww, you shouldn't have.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

GrandpaPants posted:

The New York Post posted this article about how most of our food is fake. The guy's book seems to be getting a good amount of publicity considering how often I've heard about this today from different sources:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

Ah, more scaremongering horseshit.

Also Wagyu is not a cut, it's the breed of cattle used to produce Kobe beef. Their meat is crazy marbled and very nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Does my food taste bad?

No? Then gently caress your book.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Rollersnake posted:

Nice

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Esteemed Author of Fake Food Real Food posted:

The 100 percent grass-fed beef you just bought is no such thing — it’s very possible that cow was still pumped full of drugs and raised in a cramped feedlot.

What about the words "grass-fed" would at all imply that the cows weren't given medicine when they're sick. :confused:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

What about the words "grass-fed" would at all imply that the cows weren't given medicine when they're sick. :confused:

It's a little more complicated than that. Antibiotics aren't a 100% good thing for cattle, as it results in antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria evolving more rapidly than they would if the cattle weren't given them so often. They only came into use when the demand for meat could only be satisfied through huge densities of meat animals on farms, which resulted in disease running rampant.

Also, "grass-fed" isn't the same as "grass-finished". Technically almost all cattle are grass-fed, as they spend their childhoods roaming the fields. But they're commonly shoved into cramped pens and fed corn (which results in what's often regarded as a less tasty product) until slaughtering. Because grass-fed beef is regarded as superior and all cattle are technically grass-fed if you use a loophole, you end up with false advertising.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rollersnake posted:

Later...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

To add onto what I posted, read this. It's an account by a USDA meat processor on butchering and the how different types of cattle raising and processing affect the final meat.

quote:

My next observations are of the gut contents. The undigested food must be removed from the stomachs and placed into a different barrel, because the rendering plant won’t take the guts if they include manure. As soon as I open a stomach, I know whether or not the animal has been eating grain, because whatever the animal has been fed is present in the paunch. If the animal has been grass-finished, I can observe the quality of the grass or hay by the color. The stomach contents of a grain-fed animal have a repulsive odor, while the grass-fed animal has virtually no smell.

Interestingly, there are a lot of people advertising “grass-fed” these days, but what they don’t say is often more important than what they do say. If you think about it, almost all beef is grass-fed, because they aren’t born in supermarkets, but in fields with grass, and that is where they spend the first months of their lives. I have opened the guts of many animals who were advertised as grass-fed, but whose guts were full of corn or some type of grain, because they weren’t grass-finished. Suffice it to say, grass-finished is what you want to see on the label.

As soon as a beef carcass is inspected, it is washed and placed in a cooler where it is quickly cooled to a temperature somewhere between 32 and 36 degrees. The amount of time it hangs in the cooler depends on the farmer’s preference. Most people don’t realize that tenderness is accomplished mostly by genetics, breed, and type of feed. Most of our beef is hung for fourteen days, since 60 percent of the moisture leaves during this time, but some insist on a twenty-eightday hang. When a beef hangs for twenty-eight days, the enzymes in the tissues have broken the meat down and it has decomposed to the point that it is mushy; I personally don’t like tenderness created this way, but prefer tenderness created by genetics and diet.

Hanging time does affect the flavor, since the flavor is concentrated as the moisture leaves the meat, just like a plum becomes sweeter when it is dried. In my opinion, a fourteen- or twenty-one-day hanging time is sufficient and if the beef was good to start with, you will enjoy an excellent, flavor-filled piece of meat. Hanging beef this way is called dry aging. This is why wet aging, where meat is placed into a sealed bag as soon as it is cut and allowed to age in its own blood, is flavorless. Pretty much all commercial meat is wet aged and is why it requires spices or marinade to make it palatable.

The other thing about aging that most butchers won’t tell you is that the number of beef in the cooler, the amount of humidity, and most important, the amount of fat on the animal all affect aging. A very fat steer takes much longer to age than a steer with less fat, because the fat is an insulation coating for the meat, although the hanging times are not changed accordingly, unless the farmer knows this information.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rollersnake posted:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You could make an argument for bad lighting (too bright, what are you trying to do, blind the food?) and unwarranted elaborate presentation (because pfft, who needs whole big racks to store their veggies).

The question that remains, therefore, is: Rollersnake, were you shopping so you could be cooking for bae?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yep, and I'm pretty happy with how dinner turned out. :chef:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Y'all might remember the loose teeth corn ice cream I posted recently. Apparently Dominique Ansel Japan has not learned any lessons.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

subpar anachronism posted:

Y'all might remember the loose teeth corn ice cream I posted recently. Apparently Dominique Ansel Japan has not learned any lessons.

Is corn ice cream offensive? Corn is very sweet (if you get the right kind), and ice cream is just a sweeter butter. Would. :colbert:

e: I mean, think about creamed corn. People eat that, and that's literally corn with cream.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Jul 20, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. Antibiotics aren't a 100% good thing for cattle, as it results in antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria evolving more rapidly than they would if the cattle weren't given them so often. They only came into use when the demand for meat could only be satisfied through huge densities of meat animals on farms, which resulted in disease running rampant.

Also, "grass-fed" isn't the same as "grass-finished". Technically almost all cattle are grass-fed, as they spend their childhoods roaming the fields. But they're commonly shoved into cramped pens and fed corn (which results in what's often regarded as a less tasty product) until slaughtering. Because grass-fed beef is regarded as superior and all cattle are technically grass-fed if you use a loophole, you end up with false advertising.

To add to this: "corn fed" doesn't mean Farmer John opening a can of Sure Value Loose Corn and dumping it in the food trough. "Corn fed" beef is fed silage, with is basically the entire corn stalk with cobs, finely shredded, packed into a bin and left to rot. Cows seem to love it, or at least they do when they're packed 20-30 to an enclosure wallowing in their own poo poo.

(And I'd still rather smell poo poo from a feedlot than poo poo from a dairy, because holy gently caress, dairy poo poo is rank.)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rollersnake posted:

Would legit write that because of this thread and laugh at the injoke for days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

twoday posted:

I've never seen a man fight so hard to not add "it's really simple, you idiots, I can't believe we're making a video about it" after everything he says.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Haifisch posted:

"Mochi Mayo Gratin" (6 tbsp mayo)

loose shrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀