Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The scenes they accidentally speed-ramped are pretty cool, but yeah.

From what I remember, the director had his newbie assistant (they used to use an apprentice ladder system for jobs in mainstream Japanese cinema) crank the camera for the scene, and in his excitement, the lad forgot his instructions and cranked too fast, that's why they look like they're really going fast in that fight. The Frankenstein films also seem to be sped up a lot too, perhaps because the more human looking monsters move more naturally at regular pace?

Also, regarding my continuity talk, I never tried to suggest King Kong killed Godzilla, just that in M vs G he suddenly pops out of the ground from literally out of nowhere. It's an incredibly awesome shot, one of the best in the entire Showa series. Looking up on Wikipedia, it sounds like the Japanese version does a lot less hand-waving about all of that and makes it a lot more explicit that yes, the typhoon did was a resting Godzilla ashore, so I guess it is connected in with the Ghidorah Saga, which as I said ends with Destroy All Monsters, despite that being made in the middle of Jun Fukuda's Island Trilogy of films. It's funny, the whole Ghidorah saga, when seen as a whole, kinda is built the same as the Marvel movies are, starting out giving individual characters their spotlight and backstory, then bringing them all together for big fights against a major villain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Gamera movies are better than the Heisei Godzillas, but there are some very good films in that series too and the average quality is pretty solid. Godzilla and Mothra is the weakest (others say Space Godzilla but that has a certain look and atmosphere that I like) but even that's pretty good.

One advantage the Gamera trilogy had- apart from Kaneko just having a great visual sense in general- was that the monsters were all about half as large as the ones in the Heisei Godzilla series (a 50m scale vs 100m.) This meant the miniature buildings and such could be larger and more detailed, and it made it easier to have scenes where the humans interact with them. Kaneko is fond of ground-level views of the monster stuff, which also is a big part of what makes GMK effective.

Gamera 3 in particular just didn't seem to have that many miniature sets at all, using mostly composite work against real-world backdrops meaning the ones they do have are absolutely wonderful. The Kyoto train station might be the best I've seen period, and the way it breaks apart is unreal for a movie with that kind of budget*. Compare that to a lot of the Heisei Godzillas that usually had a whole tiny downtown to fool around in.

*one of my favorite things from the behind-the-scenes footage available is that in order to get all the debris in the foreground for the shot where Gamera and Iris crash through the station, they just basically threw some rocks in front of a greenscreen

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I think my true and final feelings for Godzilla 2014 came out yesterday when I saw the Blu-Ray at Costco for $10.99.

I was like, "Meh. I'm good."

I think Max Borenstein's weak screenplay is the culprit. Originally they wanted Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the lead, who turned it down. Even he probably felt he could not bring life to that part.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Definitely give me $11 if not buying osmething is such a big deal for you

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

One advantage the Gamera trilogy had- apart from Kaneko just having a great visual sense in general- was that the monsters were all about half as large as the ones in the Heisei Godzilla series (a 50m scale vs 100m.) This meant the miniature buildings and such could be larger and more detailed, and it made it easier to have scenes where the humans interact with them. Kaneko is fond of ground-level views of the monster stuff, which also is a big part of what makes GMK effective.

That's why War of the Gargantuas and Frankenstein vs. Baragon are two of my favorite kaiju films of all time: the monsters were only about 30 meters tall, and the miniatures looks amazing. The lack of details in the 90s-era miniatures is pretty distracting in comparison.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla is the film Del Toro ripped off for Pacific Rim, so here's a version of that that doesn't suck.

the director of Godzilla Resurgence might have something to say about this as well lol

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/1up_news/status/733552637656715264

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EVAzilla owns.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SH MonsterArts going down the line of NECA with repaints of existing molds at a premium. loving lazy poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

EVAzilla owns.

Looks like a furry muppet

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GMANonScified/status/749366442924109825
:black101:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So... I went to look for a NA release, but that doesn't seem to be happening :negative:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

SHISHKABOB posted:

So... I went to look for a NA release, but that doesn't seem to be happening :negative:

I imagine withe the Legendary sequel in production they are just going to release it on DVD with little fanfare.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A small price to pay to get the general population to go see Godzilla vs King Kong without confusing them as to which Godzilla this is and all that.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, is that Jirass and Gomess?

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Vintersorg posted:

SH MonsterArts going down the line of NECA with repaints of existing molds at a premium. loving lazy poo poo.

I'm still amazed we still haven't gotten an Anguirus figure but 3 different kinds of the same mold repainted or given a little deco as compensation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you are talking about NECA, their license only allows them to do Godzilla figures.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you are talking about NECA, their license only allows them to do Godzilla figures.

Check out NECA's line of the same Predator mold but this time it has BLOOD or GLOWS IN THE DARK.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

Check out NECA's line of the same Predator mold but this time it has BLOOD or GLOWS IN THE DARK.

Well yeah, they need to keep costs down so they aren't forced to raise their prices. And personally I don't have an issue with the reuse of Preds molds. They more than make up with it with their news deco and accesories. Previous Kenner series aside.

And since they're making a new Ultimate version for both JH and CH, the new figures will also have the improved articulation.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Raxivace posted:

EVAzilla owns.

"Shinji get in the Mechagodzilla"
"No! I hate you dad!"

This better be in the movie or I'm walking out of the theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

I brought this up before, but aside from the Kenner ones, which are gimmicky crap, the movie Predators were all the same with minor variations to keep the cost down. Especially with AvP.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mon1OKT6q2U

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo it looks so good.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Yeah, I was a little iffy on this new Godzilla, but looking at the direction of the film really solidifies that they really want to emphasize the sheer terror of Godzilla. Kind of reminds me of the original. Now, I'm going to be ready for the sequel to the 2014 Godzilla after I watch this one.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that looks really good. that last spot gave me tinglies

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

All the shots of his (relatively) tiny eyeballs glaring out from his huge craggy monster face are fantastic.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Man I wish I could see this in IMAX, I bet it's glorious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

Man I wish I could see this in IMAX, I bet it's glorious.

I should be getting a nice tax return any day now and I've always wanted to visit Japan and there must be some cheap rear end flights sometime ..... I don't think I can quite justify it but drat, it'd be nice.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
New (as of yesterday, the 18th) trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
His appearance and ponderous movement remind me of a lava flow. Slowly and inevitably creepy forward, demolishing everything in its path, unstoppable by conventional means.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm weirdly familiar with Anno's directorial style and seeing all these Anno-isms in these trailers is strangely titilating. Also that music made me realise that it's Shiro Sagisu scoring this.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Imagine being able to see this in D-Box. Seats shaking, probably some smoke smells, all the immersion!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dylazodelan posted:

New (as of yesterday, the 18th) trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg

This is loving beautiful.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It's nice that he's really slow. That allows people to take their possessions when they evacuate their homes, not cancel dinner reservations, and take selfies from different angles. It's a very considerate Godzilla.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Wizchine posted:

It's nice that he's really slow. That allows people to take their possessions when they evacuate their homes, not cancel dinner reservations, and take selfies from different angles. It's a very considerate Godzilla.

You try going fast while dragging that writhing sack of flesh on your rear end

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

david_a posted:

His appearance and ponderous movement remind me of a lava flow. Slowly and inevitably creepy forward, demolishing everything in its path, unstoppable by conventional means.

His new design is also very evocative of a lava flow. Compare his cracked and hosed up skin to this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

let's all take a moment to appreciate some lava

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The weak roar and shakey puppet head at the end are terrible. The rest looks good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He has to walk slowly, he can barely see out of those googly eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interesting thing is apparently it does have a US distributor (most likely WB).
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2016/07/godzilla-resurgence-to-hit-100.html

Also more footage and score preview (though taped off TV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJhZFUnEV8

Also at an advance screening one person called the film "fascist propaganda" :lol: The two other reviews that I've heard of basically said it was either okay or meh.

Apparently the military in the movie is not the SDF, but an "offensive-oriented" Japanese military (which is fine by me). If you want to know why this is controversial just google Article 9 Japan debate.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2016