Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I guess you can teach an old dog...

...new tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Some things I think you missed in the first Doctor mission:

- There's a button combo that makes the Doctor fart. In the Dreamcast version it was (according to gamefaqs, I haven't played this in years) L, R, Left, and A. If you do it in front of the fireplace at the start, something funny happens.

- The rockets in the section with Chuckleberry Finn can be lit...

- In the DC version, there actually is a reflection in the mirror (but not the PS2 version)

-When the alien ship is shooting you from outside the Jim Dandy, you can die if you're on a letter plate and it gets hit.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey Jacob, you gonna show the easter eggs in this game?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

"Pure bubbling anus."

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey Jacob, you gonna show the easter eggs in this game?

"There's an Easter Egg in level 7 that I couldn't get to. I'm not really familiar with too many more easter eggs. Significant ones, anyway. A few are just a room with a few items that aren't anything special" - Jacob

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That delivery on the darwin line always cracks me up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's not a surprise that the bomb blows up the Jim Dandy along with the bomber himself. I mean, he IS a balloons-for -brains.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yikes, this level was bad. The bombs are incredibly obvious padding; you could have accomplished the same "trace the wires" gimmick in a much smaller space if you really wanted to, and skip all the running around, repetitive trivial "platforming", and bad lighting.

Speaking of which, the videos are really dark sometimes. It's not clear to me how much of that is the source material and how much can be ameliorated by tweaking rendering settings, but if you could run a brightness filter over them, it'd be much appreciated. Not just this video, but several times in the past you've been navigating ductwork or something and I've been basically unable to see anything.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Yeah, I don't think I ever did this level legit. It seems like that if you did even try that you'd run out of time with the last two bombs.

in a way, maybe BFB is actually not expecting Hawkins to fail since he's simply setting up the next bomb in the next room. Maybe he only wants to have a nice, friendly contest between two intellectuals.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I had this game as a kid, and this boss fight was as far as I got, I never figured out how to beat him. I figured being Hyde was part of it, but the whole "jump onto him from crates" never clicked for me.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Fun fact, this level is far more obnoxious on the Dreamcast version (The version I played), as there was no "save anywhere" function like in every other version of MDK 2, but instead a horrendous checkpointing system, making this level, and other subsequent levels horrible.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nameless Fool posted:

Fun fact, this level is far more obnoxious on the Dreamcast version (The version I played), as there was no "save anywhere" function like in every other version of MDK 2, but instead a horrendous checkpointing system, making this level, and other subsequent levels horrible.

Where do you get booted to in that version? To the start of the level?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

HardDisk posted:

Where do you get booted to in that version? To the start of the level?

Usually back to the beginning of each bomb sequence. You get REAL tired of hearing BFB's voice.

You also end up like me and have the darwinian survival line burned into your mind forever.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

Usually back to the beginning of each bomb sequence. You get REAL tired of hearing BFB's voice.

You also end up like me and have the darwinian survival line burned into your mind forever.

Pretty much. It felt cathartic save scumming past these bombs playing the steam version. No shame in cheating past bad game design.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Kurt arrives on the alien homeworld, Swizzle Firma, and takes on Shwang Shwing on his home turf.

Forgot to upload this yesterday because I'm at the top of my game.
My game being Harvest Moon: Animal Parade.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

Forgot to upload this yesterday because I'm at the top of my game.
My game being Harvest Moon: Animal Parade.

You're not LPing that one are you?

I must say, I am greatly enjoying MDK and MDK2 for their utter ridiculousness. It looks like MDK2 is a chore to actually play in some respects, but... well, I'm not going to run out and buy them on a whim or anything, but the LP makes me wish I'd played them back in the day.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

KieranWalker posted:

You're not LPing that one are you?

I am. I've got a few Harvest Moon/related LPs in their early stages.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You were right the first time; those items next to the boss arena can be grabbed by simply gliding over there. It's arguably a better spot to fight Schwang because the enemy mooks don't spawn there.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Before being a movie, The Coneheads was a recurring skit on SNL. So, not really for kids. At all.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Huh... I knew the Laser chaingun can headshot the stupid green dome headed guys, but not activate Lockballs. That may of made the later Lockballs more... tolerable to snipe. Especially on the Dreamcast version. Using a controller to do first person sniping is god awful compared to a mouse and keyboard.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Invisible enemies that you need to snipe to kill? That's obnoxious.

Edit: Goddamnit, Hectic; it's 'From whom', not 'From who'!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 27, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We need an MDK3 so we can have more bad levels in good games.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm surprised you killed Schwang just by shooting him, because you were *supposed* to use the big red buttons to harm him. Each had a different funny effect.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So... I'm getting a slight subtle hint from the intro that you don't like this level...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Samovar posted:

So... I'm getting a slight subtle hint from the intro that you don't like this level...

At least it wasn't bubbling?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
At least the Atomic Jetpack was cool?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm surprised you killed Schwang just by shooting him, because you were *supposed* to use the big red buttons to harm him. Each had a different funny effect.

Kind of curious what those are, though whether Jacob's going to show that off is anybody's guess.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
IIRC, the boss chamber in the Dreamcast version was actually a little brighter in order to show off that yeah, you're supposed to be landing on the buttons around the area as Schwang flies in front of them because they do stuff that just rips his health bar to shreds. Like, obviously you did it without them since you saved the rockets and rayguns, but a normal player is not supposed to just shoot the poo poo out of him on account of how absurdly high his defense is in this fight. So that might've been contributing to why you hated this level all this time, Jacob. You weren't doing the boss correctly!

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
If level 6 is pure bubbling searing anus, level 8 is the same kind of anus that also has gross, festering boils all over it. I loving HATED this level on the Dreamcast version, for the lovely rear end checkpoint system Jacob mentioned in this video. And the loving silo climb is easily the worst part of this game, right next to most of level 6. Also, that hidden elevator to skip the climb? Besides being obscure as hell, once you DO find it, it's actually real easy to accidentally trigger it and step off of it. It doesn't come back down once activated, so if you miss it, you're screwed, being forced to either reset or do the climb from hell. The boss was also a real rear end, as it was unrealistic to beat Shwang by pure firepower, you were basically forced to use the gimmicky arena, on top of having to continuously fire on him, as the damage from the traps isn't enough to kill him alone. gently caress. This. Level. It took me years to beat the combination of level 7 and 8 due to how bad things are on the DC ver.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really loved the visuals on this level. The alien city looks cool as hell, and the huge, towering scenery once you're inside the lab is amazing too.

When I played as a kid, I didn't realise you could take down the tops of those bits in the horizontal tower to get yourself a platform. I just got across by tapping repeatedly on the jetpack to end up hovering.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Dropping in on Jacob's behalf to let y'all know that the rest of MDK2's footage has been recorded. Part 9 has also been commentated and edited, but Jacob wants to wait until the rest of the LP is completely done before we resume uploads. We're not long now though!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jacob recovers from a frustration coma to get the last of the trio to Swizzle Firma.

Final update comes next week (we're going to try), and it's a three-parter!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Tardis isn't a phone booth.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I feel like ledge mantling is in a lesser Long Range Shotgun situation, where if you say it doesn't happen, people immediately show up and rattle off a dozen or so examples, many relatively recent.

Also if your dislike of cauliflower is because of its incredible blandness, improve it with curry.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

disregard

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Samovar posted:

The Tardis isn't a phone booth.

I don't even watch Dr Who but as a brit I can tell you it's a police call box which is basically a phone booth but just for police

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

No man those are two totally distinct things and it's totally deserving of the same pedantic correction each and every time the mistake is made.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No joke, the silo climb from hell in level 8 killed my playthrough as a kid. I still have a nostalgia for this game, though the more I think about it the more I dislike the back half of the game in general. Strangely enough, I sort of liked the bomb defusing in level 6, even though it got aggrivating at times.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The final level of MDK2: each character gets his own route, so click their face to see their video.

Thus concludes MDK2! Thanks again to Jacob for hosting this LP; it was a fun ride, and I hope he considers hosting another one for us sometime.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
For some reason, I found beating Zizzy as Doc to be easier than the other two on the DC version. Maybe it's because you had near infinate health thanks to the plutonium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
I never managed to beat Zizzy as Doc. Max was the easy one for me.

• Locked thread