Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, the Chinese wrestling scene is pretty much a blank slate at this point. Ho Ho getting noteworthy enough to earn a WWE tourney spot and possible Performance Center contract is an accomplishment by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

oatgan posted:

you might be thinking of Anhui's favorite son Bin Wang who was signed to a developmental contract around the time they were announcing names for the CWC. He's the first Chinese wrestler in WWE's system.

They're referring to this fella, about whom I know nothing other than what's on that page

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^Yeah, what she said.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Ho Ho Lun is still a prospect though, even with his inexperience, he'll be getting a lot more attention after this, and if WWE ever wanted to expand into the Chinese market again he could be trained and become their go-to, kind of like how they use Zayn in the middle east on occasion. If he doesn't get signed, he's still going to get some bookings and experience in Japan or the US and hone his craft, go back home, and probably build up the HK scene there with what he's learned.

He's got good natural charisma, even if he's not the best wrestler.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

They're referring to this fella, about whom I know nothing other than what's on that page

Jason Lee's been touring Japan with Zero-1 and Muta's Wrestle-1 more than China. He's wrestled dudes of all different styles and tons of veterans so he'll probably look more polished than Lun. Him and HoHo Lun have wrestled and teamed a lot in China though.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
I've been pretty down on NXT lately, but that was really enjoyable. One nitpick: I wish they would have done, say, one quarter of the bracket instead of skipping around. It would have made it much easier to follow the tournament.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

I asked. Sean is from Staten Island. Sean was introduced to Afa through Afa’s wife, who is from Staten Island originally. No true relationship.

To be fair, my understanding is that the Anoa'i family way of doing things (and the Samoan way in general?) is that if they consider you family, then you ARE family regardless of any blood or even marriage ties. Which is actually really sweet and good in my opinion :shobon:

Although it does remind me of Samoa Joe doing an interview and they pointed out he was one of the few wrestling Samoans who was NOT a member of the family, and he said,"That's right, but if I was to ever bring it up to my mom and dad they'd probably go back through their family trees and figure out some distant family connection and say that made me one of the Anoa'i too!"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm watching the Bracketology show with my girlfriend and I forget, why do people hate T.J. Perkins?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Benne posted:

I'm watching the Bracketology show with my girlfriend and I forget, why do people hate T.J. Perkins?

He has dumb opinions about things. Some people say he is bad at wrestling but that is objectively incorrect.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
"Dumb" being an understatement

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/hoholun719/status/754116356065390593

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

A couple more CWC videos, about Kenneth Johnson and Drew Gulak respectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azIUdxg6XUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xt4zBawJIg

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm on the Hoooooooooooooooooooooo Ho train

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kennel posted:

Are Ho Ho Lun and Godfather's Ho related?

Godfather's Ho is a former WWE Hardcore Champion, while Ho Ho Lun is an unpolished but happy Cruiserweight sensation. I don't think they're connected.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

by marriage

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gulak always lured me in with his cheap PPA rates and then fuckin tanked my locker room atmosphere with his motherfuckery, I hope he gets squashed

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
is he still one of the ants?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

is he still one of the ants?

AFAIK yes. I can never keep straight who is which one so I'm not sure if he's one of the regulars still. He's also one of the head trainers at Chikara.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Norwegian Rudo posted:

AFAIK yes. I can never keep straight who is which one so I'm not sure if he's one of the regulars still. He's also one of the head trainers at Chikara.

Orange Cassidy is still Fire Ant
Gulak's Soldier Ant
Tracy Williams is Silver Ant
Never figured out who is Worker Ant II

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Orange Cassidy is still Fire Ant
Gulak's Soldier Ant
Tracy Williams is Silver Ant
Never figured out who is Worker Ant II

profightdb.com says he's Nelson Ortiz. He was AssailANT before Worker Ant II.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I laughed every time Bryan excitedly said "Ho Ho!"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
CWC was pretty rad

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Apparently there are plans to do CWC showcase matches on Raw in October.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

rovert posted:

They'd do it a month after the tournament ends?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

They'd do it a month after the tournament ends?

"Nothing" is happening until people finish up their indie dates.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
If they wanted to make some money, they'd have whoever ends up winning it make a completely open challenge - have them go over some random cruiserweights who didn't make it into the CWC with the belt on the line. Also means they can get a tryout match for guys they're not sure on reactions to, and puts over WWE talent (presumably) over the rest of the world.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean that's fine but i don't know how it'll be a big moneymaker

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

rovert posted:

Will Ciclope be involved?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Is there even a title belt on the line? I mean, there's been no mention of it yet, and you think they'd show it before the tournament if there was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AMReese posted:

Is there even a title belt on the line? I mean, there's been no mention of it yet, and you think they'd show it before the tournament if there was.

Why? We didn't see the new women's belt before Mania, and this way if the winner is actually getting a belt or a trophy, you can have like 10 minutes of the finals show being the unveiling of the prize.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Because the mention of one would put something up for grabs more than bragging rights and add a little intrigue? There has been zero mention of any belt, not even on the dirt sheets, and the last "Classic" resulted in a trophy, not a belt.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
...theres a trophy pictured in the CWC opening title sequence.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Legit cruiserweight matches would be a great way to fill some of the 3 hours of Raw. Who cares how it works.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Will Ciclope be involved?

Wait a second..... :crossarms:

:aaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Legit cruiserweight matches would be a great way to fill some of the 3 hours of Raw. Who cares how it works.

Why are you posting this close to Raw, Steph, that seems very unprofessional?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Gaz-L posted:

Why are you posting this close to Raw, Steph, that seems very unprofessional?

No, the real Stephanie would be annoyed that people are thinking of ideas for guys other than John Cena

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bracketology was one of the coolest things I've ever seen WWE put on, they should do specials like that which dig into the wrestler's styles and backstories and characters all the god drat time. The first episode was great. Everything is great, Viva Cruisers!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So the winner of the tournament has to be getting the Crusierweight belt, right? Which means it's definitely gonna be a guy they've signed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Wait a second..... :crossarms:

:aaa:

He lost his mask and wrestled as Halloween now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Gaz-L posted:

So the winner of the tournament has to be getting the Crusierweight belt, right? Which means it's definitely gonna be a guy they've signed.

The tournament was always probably going to be won by a guy they were signing, it's been a recruitment tool from the beginning. Now that we've gotten solid reporting that he's signed a contract I'd be shocked if Ibushi didn't win.

• Locked thread