Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hypha posted:

What defines the "gamefaq" poster? Never been there save to find numbers like motion values for FU.

"_________ is super easy are you dense"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Who the hell is Dario, anyway?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ciaphas posted:

Who the hell is Dario, anyway?

The guy who gave Daenerys the D.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The GS is probably the most complicated weapon in the game. Weapons like the Horn or Charge blade have weird movesets, but ultimately they come down to muscle memory, which just takes a few good hunts to get down. If you're running pretty much any other weapon in the game, you're still mobile enough that you're gonna be putting in decent damage at relative safety just by dodgerolling, attacking, dodgerolling, and repeating. A REALLY good Greatsword user needs to know basically every attack of the monster you're fighting, where the best damage zones are, how to position yourself to hit that spot with a charged attack in relation to which attack the monster is using, and also needs to have a good set to amp the hits you actually land, since GS has the lowest attack/time ratio. You could make a tutorial guide series about how to play GS against every single hunt in the game and I don't think it would be redundant at all and honestly that's a video series I'd watch

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BMan posted:

So far I'm 3 for 4 in these "you're not supposed to fight this monster yet" quests (Glavenus super telegraphed 1-shot tail spin attack :arghfist::saddowns:)

Wait, you can actually beat those things? I swear I was laying into that stupid mammoth for like 30 minutes and the fucker wasn't even limping, at which point I just shrugged and went to do the quest and leave. Didn't even try with the others, as I ended up assuming they were invincible during these quests.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

After checking in Discord that you weren't supposed to kill Glavenus the first time you see him I decided to go no potions, longsword only, final destination on him

He won, but I got a couple breaks that my palicos salvaged at the end of the quest for me :v:

Etrips posted:

The guy who gave Daenerys the D.

And why is he searching for Mortimer??

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
All I'm saying is if you only feel comfortable using weapons that have like one button involved maybe monster hunter isn't the game for you and you're probably going to quit by the time skills and slots and stuff start to matter

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

All I'm saying is if you only feel comfortable using weapons that have like one button involved maybe monster hunter isn't the game for you and you're probably going to quit by the time skills and slots and stuff start to matter

Hm, no.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there a list of all of the styles and their sacrifices? From the game it seems like Guild is 2 Hunter Arts and Striker is 3 but they're easier to charge. It seems like Guild is a pointless style unless I'm missing something. Also, Striker seems fun to have a mix of Arts to use all of the time but god drat if I don't love perfect dodging poo poo with Adept.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah, GS does get more technical in trying to find openings for more level 3 charges per hunt. But that's true with any weapon. GS does it all in one big burst of damage. SnS takes a couple more presses of x and a. CB has a little more upkeep and button presses than that. Like I said earlier in the thread the real challenge is learning the monsters, not the weapons.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait, you can actually beat those things? I swear I was laying into that stupid mammoth for like 30 minutes and the fucker wasn't even limping, at which point I just shrugged and went to do the quest and leave. Didn't even try with the others, as I ended up assuming they were invincible during these quests.

They have around 3 times the amount of health they usually do, but you can still fight them if you have enough damage output to kill them in time and still complete your objective.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a list of all of the styles and their sacrifices? From the game it seems like Guild is 2 Hunter Arts and Striker is 3 but they're easier to charge. It seems like Guild is a pointless style unless I'm missing something. Also, Striker seems fun to have a mix of Arts to use all of the time but god drat if I don't love perfect dodging poo poo with Adept.

Striker is incredibly variable and tends to lose some important stuff.

Like IG loses the entire A-button. Also IG arts suck.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Greatsword loses the back+x super charge in striker. Guild or aerial all the way for GS imo.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/3u1jp0/mhx_all_style_differences_for_each_weapon/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

It varies heavily from weapon to weapon, but the rule of thumb is:

- Guild is like ye olde Monstere Huntere with 2 arts
- Striker entirely gives up some move or another from Guild in trade for a third art--this move can be unimportant like on SnS or utterly crucial as in Glaive
- Aerial and Adept give you either mad hops or really easy dodges respectively, but in trade only give you one art and move some Guild moves behind successfully using said mad hops and evades (example: LS can't upgrade its damage without a hop or perfect evade anymore)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Zore posted:

Also IG arts suck.

I think Bug Blow is cool...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but is shampoo dragon super pretty and a neat concept

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Gaijin Hunters videos are good for this. Hell tell you what styles lose what moves and what the hunter arts do.

As for the effectiveness of each style that depends on what moves you give up. Each style gives up some weapon move from guild to get the extra art/adept dodge/aerial move. Some weapons don't give up much, like SnS for striker only loses its back hop attack. Some give up a ton. Depends on what you're willing to give up to gain those extra moves or the extra art.

It also depends on if you like the hunting arts or not. Some weapon's arts are really really good, others not so much.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If you don't think that killing monsters and wearing their assess as hats is the pinnacle of game design, then this may not be the place for you.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Something I've noticed about Adept evasion is that it prevents you from getting hit again by the same attack you dodged, just like blocking. Very useful against Khezu's lightning for example.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

BMan posted:

Something I've noticed about Adept evasion is that it prevents you from getting hit again by the same attack you dodged, just like blocking. Very useful against Khezu's lightning for example.

Yup! Its pretty great at completely neutering that static storm. Running adept GS or hammer against Khezu is super easy because of this.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I just found the greatsword video from 10 years ago I remember watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOi1GizEco&t=148s

it's real good, I linked to the real impressive part but the whole video displays the kind of mental calculus that makes GS a low skill floor high skill ceiling weapon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to sound like a cocky dumbass for asking this, but.. At what point do you meet monsters who pose any threat to the (Adept) Bow? I'm only past Malfestio but when I fought him (and several other monsters) it just felt kinda.. unfair? Having the safety of range + a perfect evade makes fights feel like cruise control compared to the melee weapons I'm used to :ohdear:

Freestyle aiming took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to stay Adept Charge Blade. I like the idea of Aerial CB but gently caress losing that charge attack.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

I'm going to sound like a cocky dumbass for asking this, but.. At what point do you meet monsters who pose any threat to the (Adept) Bow? I'm only past Malfestio but when I fought him (and several other monsters) it just felt kinda.. unfair? Having the safety of range + a perfect evade makes fights feel like cruise control compared to the melee weapons I'm used to :ohdear:

Freestyle aiming took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

You're barely into the game, of course it gets more challenging. High Rank and then Variants make things much more dicey. Also fighting multiple monsters with bow is a pain in the arse, harder to find safety and running out of coatings becomes a major issue.

I played a lot of Bushido Bow in MHX and it is really strong, but late game when one hit deaths are a real threat for gunners I craved the added safety of blademaster armour with 600 defence. When I was playing well enough not to get murdered immediately though it was amazing how the Teostra bow brutalised monsters, that thing is a bit over the top

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Ran into my old nemisis Yian Kut-ku today. He singlehandedly made me quit Monster Hunter when I bought it on PSP all those years ago. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I punked the hell out of him, and didn't lose more than 1/4th of my health. So satisfying to Shoryugeki him in his big fat frilly head.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

You're barely into the game, of course it gets more challenging. High Rank and then Variants make things much more dicey. Also fighting multiple monsters with bow is a pain in the arse, harder to find safety and running out of coatings becomes a major issue.

Gets more challenging, yes, but that goes for all weapons :v: I meant more in terms of Adept Bow vs. Anything melee. For instance, do monsters change up their moveset and get more deadly at range than close up? That kinda stuff. Good point about multiple mobs though, I hadn't even considered that.

e: and I guess armor is a bigger deal than I've been lead to believe

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Holy poo poo! There's palico gear that turns your cat into some sort of flying saucer!

Is there anyway to make reeling in fish easier as a prowler? i straight up can not mash A fast enough to reel in those premium sashimi or whatever for that one prowler quest. poo poo is like washing a giraffe's car.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Gets more challenging, yes, but that goes for all weapons :v: I meant more in terms of Adept Bow vs. Anything melee. For instance, do monsters change up their moveset and get more deadly at range than close up? That kinda stuff. Good point about multiple mobs though, I hadn't even considered that.

e: and I guess armor is a bigger deal than I've been lead to believe

Lategame monsters are fast and mean and can close distance incredibly quickly, or have wide range moves. It becomes a matter of simply being near them is dangerous. Malfestio is cake.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Holy poo poo! There's palico gear that turns your cat into some sort of flying saucer!

Is there anyway to make reeling in fish easier as a prowler? i straight up can not mash A fast enough to reel in those premium sashimi or whatever for that one prowler quest. poo poo is like washing a giraffe's car.

I found that wiggling the stick and mashing buttons reeled them in super fast, so maybe try that?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

Malfestio is cake.

I wasn't trying to say he was difficult or anything, I just meant the general disparity in difficulty between ranged and melee at this point in the game.

Told ya I'd sound like a dumbass :downs:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Thanks to adept longsword I'm finally not making a mess of killing Khezu with melee

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I wasn't trying to say he was difficult or anything, I just meant the general disparity in difficulty between ranged and melee at this point in the game.

Told ya I'd sound like a dumbass :downs:

I can't really blame you for asking, honestly the monsters even up to Malfestio pose no real threat to any style.

At especially high ranks the downside to playing a Gunner class is that most monsters, if they hit you, can kill you in around two shots. Probably one if you have bad resistances or if it's their big fuckoff attack.

Unless you're going full media blackout on the game, if you're curious as to what to expect in the future check out Glavenus, or Seregios, or Zinogre, to name a few.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Non MHGen question: I'm trying to understand the way the weapon upgrade tree on this page works so I can avoid sinking resources into a dead end: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/dualblades

When something is indented from a weapon but listed as "Create" rather than "Upgrade," what does that mean exactly?

Also, generally, I'd appreciate some pointers re: what type of dual blade and armour I should be building towards in 4U.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, generally, I'd appreciate some pointers re: what type of dual blade and armour I should be building towards in 4U.

glavenus. fullstop.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What does the diamonds on the start menu > status > equipment mean?
And how many skill points does it take to trigger a skill and where does it tell you this?
I have like a million questions about the UI.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Emalde posted:

glavenus. fullstop.

4U, not Gen. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lemon-Lime posted:

4U, not Gen. :v:

oh herp. You have a lot of options, but DB will probably trend towards gore/shagaru for a while primarily because of the sharpness. Check the skill simulator in the last thread's OP for some ideas, garuga is also pretty good for Most Things early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't understand how the name Tetsucabra relates to the monster's leaping abilities and giant jaws unless I guess it's a japanese thing but you'd think they wouldn't translate the bit of dialogue that explains that into the english version.

• Locked thread