Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've had poo poo success doing a SV > roast, SV > Smoke seems like it'd be even more of a headache. I've tried https://www.sousvidelife.com/sous-vide-chinese-crispy-roasted-pork-belly-recipe and it's simply inferior to just roasting in the oven with foil protecting the flesh, you just cannot replicate the skin and I'm quite confident you'll never get as good of a bark as a day long smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I don't have experience with pork butt but I did brisket a while ago where it went on the smoker first for 2 hours or so, and then into the circulator for 48 hours. It was without a doubt some of the best BBQ I've ever had. If I were going to do Kenji's recipe for butt, I'd probably flip the process around and smoke at 225* for 2 hours before going into the circulator. That way there's no risk of overcooking the meat or losing too much moistness.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
I've used chef steps' pork shoulder a few times and it's turned out really great every time. Their timing and temp for getting a bark works especially well.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-pork-shoulder

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made Kenji's sous vide pork butt this weekend. A couple observations:

•Not sure about the food safetyness of it all. Pork butt is thick, but it was cooked at 165 so maybe it gets to temp fast enough? Not sure. But I made it anyway
•The rub recipe he includes is really good. I like it better than the memphis dust recipe I normally use. But he uses too much of it, so either cut back on how much you use or cut back on the salt in the rub recipe.
•He says cook it 18-24 hours. Because mine was at the larger end of what he recommended, I went a full 24 hours. This made it fall apart when I took it out of the bag. Next time I will go with 18
•Probably related to the previous point of it being overcooked in the bag, but it really dried out on the smoker. I don't think I will go as long next time, or maybe do a lower temp, followed by blasting it at high heat to get crust/pseudo bark

With a little liquid smoke, I would have been fine eating it straight out of the circulator. The flavor and moistness was incredible. I'll try it again and tweak some of the timing.

What do you mean about the safety? You're cooking the pork at 165 for 18-24 hours so you absolutely pasteurize the poo poo out of it.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

large hands posted:

sous vide chicken breasts sliced thin with a little lime juice and salt on top of pressure cooker pho ga has to be one of the fastest, tastiest low effort meals out there, I'm totally addicted

What recipe do you follow for this? Searching turned up this Serious Eats pressure cooker pho ga recipe, but that uses chicken drumsticks in the pressure cooker which are what's then also used as the chicken in the dish. It seems like leaving the chicken out of the pressure cooker would cut down on the flavor in the broth, and adding more sous vide chicken to the pressure-cooked chicken would be redundant…

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

•The rub recipe he includes is really good. I like it better than the memphis dust recipe I normally use. But he uses too much of it, so either cut back on how much you use or cut back on the salt in the rub recipe.

His ribs recipe has the same problem. First time I made it and followed the recipe they came out nearly inedible. 2nd time around I upped the liquid smoke a bit and cut the rub down and the ribs came out great.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I finally did some local spicy Italian sausages last night at 150 degrees for about an hour and finished them on the grill. God drat they were ridiculously tasty! Going to try the standard brats next, with the salty beer that was talked about on the previous page. Did up some thick cut pork chops at 140 as well, love how well pork turns out at that temp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

What do you mean about the safety? You're cooking the pork at 165 for 18-24 hours so you absolutely pasteurize the poo poo out of it.

Getting the middle of something as large as a shoulder to safe temp takes a long time. There'll be a period of a few hours where it's in the danger zone. Biproducts from loving microbes care not about pasteurization.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Getting the center of the meat out of the danger zone is an acceptable time frame is what I'm talking about. The risk is low as the bacteria should be on the outside, but the food safety risk would be that the center spends a long time at a temp amenable to bacteria growth which produce heat stable toxins. By the time you eat it the bacteria are dead, but the toxins could remain. Which is why the excellent Douglas Baldwin guide on Sous Vide says to cut it into pieces no more than 70mm thick. And he cooks it at 176.

But I considered it low enough risk that I forged ahead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Biproducts from loving microbes care not about pasteurization.

The stuff that leaves byproducts is surface bacteria and spores which do not live beyond the surface of the meat anyway. This is why slow cooking or vizzling ground meat is not a good idea, but other large meat cuts is fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ground meat as in sous vide hamburgers, or do you mean something else?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dem Bones posted:

What recipe do you follow for this? Searching turned up this Serious Eats pressure cooker pho ga recipe, but that uses chicken drumsticks in the pressure cooker which are what's then also used as the chicken in the dish. It seems like leaving the chicken out of the pressure cooker would cut down on the flavor in the broth, and adding more sous vide chicken to the pressure-cooked chicken would be redundant…

I use that recipe and just use chicken backs/wingtips/random parts instead of drumsticks for the broth then put thin sliced sv chicken breast on top. Or you could use drumsticks and save the shredded meat for something else. But the sv breasts are light years ahead of the pressure cooked drumstick meat he uses for the protein in that recipe.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm tempted to pick up a vacuum sealer since there are two FoodSaver models and an Oliso on Prime deals.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I cooked some pork ribs that came out last Friday that I was going to serve that sunday but our dinner plans got pushed back a week. They got an ice bath and went into the fridge and never left their vaccuum sealed bag. Will they still be safe to serve this weekend (about 10 days from finished cooking) or should I go ahead and cook something else for the dinner party? I've never really left any cooked food in the fridge for longer than a couple days so it kind of scares me to let it go that long, but logic tells me that vac-sealed and properly icebathed should be okay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mrking posted:

I cooked some pork ribs that came out last Friday that I was going to serve that sunday but our dinner plans got pushed back a week. They got an ice bath and went into the fridge and never left their vaccuum sealed bag. Will they still be safe to serve this weekend (about 10 days from finished cooking) or should I go ahead and cook something else for the dinner party? I've never really left any cooked food in the fridge for longer than a couple days so it kind of scares me to let it go that long, but logic tells me that vac-sealed and properly icebathed should be okay.

Since they're ribs, I'll assume they were cooked long enough for pasteurization. And what with ice bath and remaining in the bag, they should probably be good for another couple weeks even.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I've been wondering about the ice bath thing. If I pan-fry some chicken and the leftovers get plastic wrap over the plate and stuck in the refrigerator, they're still good for a day or two. Why is quick chilling so important for food that's vacuum-sealed and pasteurized?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

I've been wondering about the ice bath thing. If I pan-fry some chicken and the leftovers get plastic wrap over the plate and stuck in the refrigerator, they're still good for a day or two. Why is quick chilling so important for food that's vacuum-sealed and pasteurized?

AFAIK it is to minimize time in the danger zone. You want to cool the inside as fast as possible to a temperature where bacteria do not grow and ice water is as cold as it gets and transfers the cold quickly. Even pasteurized food may have bacteria left.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's because pasteurization isn't 100% bacterial elimination, so you still worry about danger zone time. it already spent time there getting up to temp, it will have to spend time there getting back up to temp. Danger zone is a cumulative thing, so minimize it where you can.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

AFAIK it is to minimize time in the danger zone. You want to cool the inside as fast as possible to a temperature where bacteria do not grow and ice water is as cold as it gets and transfers the cold quickly. Even pasteurized food may have bacteria left.

No doubt, just wondering why it's such a big thing with sous-vide when I wouldn't think twice about reheating and eating leftovers that had sat on the table all through dinner two nights ago. That's got to be far less sanitary, right?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True but you tend to heat traditional food higher which kills of more bacteria in the first place. But from a food safety perspective, I imagine reheating a meal that sat at room temperature for an hour then went in tue fridge for a night probably is just as questionable. But what does not kill us... right?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone tried offal SV?
I'm picking up some tripe this weekend for tacos.
I have a pressure cooker, but would also be interested if anyone has done honeycomb tripe puddled.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't really see the point of sv tripe. It's tough as rubber tires if you undercook it so I would probably slow cook it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

I don't really see the point of sv tripe. It's tough as rubber tires if you undercook it so I would probably slow cook it.

slow cook or pressure cook?
I've never done it before, so i'm paranoid about doing it wrong. I posted a bump to the mexican thread about it as well.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Cooking them with vinegar is new to me.

You'll want to rinse them thoroughly inside and out before starting the cooking process. Basically fill a pot/sink with water and soak them, giving them a good scrubbing, and you can even hook them up to you water spout to run water through the inside. They'll be at a good point when the water is as clear as you can get it.

If you're cooking them inside your kitchen, I'm assuming you're using a pot and not something like a disco.

Throw the tripe into a pot and cover with water. You'll start the cooking process by boiling the tripe. You'll probably want to season the water/tripe - at a minimum - with white onion and a very small amount of salt. (Some people will also add garlic, oregano, evaporated milk, orange juice, and/or chile ancho. My family just does the onion and salt).

You'll want to boil for probably 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe a bit longer if it's a lot of tripe or it isn't cooked through yet. My family will also cut the tripe into smaller pieces during the cleaning/rinsing part so that likely reduced the cooking time, whereas others will boil the tripe in full long pieces and not cut until the frying phase. Once that phase is finished you'll want to remove the tripe from the water and you'll press it remove as much of the water as you can.

Afterwards you'll start the browning/frying part. Some people will add lard/oil at this point but the tripe should release enough oil on its own to give it a good fry. If you haven't cut the tripe yet you'll want to do so during this phase. My family doesn't season during the frying part but some people/recipes will call for additional seasoning at this point.

How much you fry it is personal preference. Some people like them a bit chewy, others like them crispy almost like a chicharron. I personally prefer mine on the crispier side.

Cooking tripe will always release a pungent aroma. You're better off cooking them outside if it is at all possible.

I'm getting some tripe and planning on breaking in my new pressure cooker with it. How long should i adjust the time?
My liquid recipe is going to be beer, garlic, onion, bay, oregano, couple of dried chiles. Dry it, then wok/stir fry til crispy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think pressure cooking is just as good. Also, tripe has a nasty smell and taste if you don't prepare it properly. I have no idea how to prepare tripe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

hogmartin posted:

No doubt, just wondering why it's such a big thing with sous-vide when I wouldn't think twice about reheating and eating leftovers that had sat on the table all through dinner two nights ago. That's got to be far less sanitary, right?

I'm guessing because sous vide cooking just attracts the :spergin:.

I don't ice bath. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

As much as I liked Kenji's article on sous-vide pork shoulder, it seemed like a lot of trouble for something that comes out great in the oven. So I decided to spend all that effort on sous vide lamb shoulder instead.

I have a shoulder cooking at 57C (135F), I'm just hesitating duration-wise between 24 or 48 hours (or maybe even 72). Since lamb temperatures are lower than pork, in order to get tender and rare meat, it sounds like I should err on the side of a longer duration.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jan posted:

As much as I liked Kenji's article on sous-vide pork shoulder, it seemed like a lot of trouble for something that comes out great in the oven. So I decided to spend all that effort on sous vide lamb shoulder instead.

I have a shoulder cooking at 57C (135F), I'm just hesitating duration-wise between 24 or 48 hours (or maybe even 72). Since lamb temperatures are lower than pork, in order to get tender and rare meat, it sounds like I should err on the side of a longer duration.

What's up with that unusual sealer he's using in step 2? It looks like the bag is a ziploc sort of closure and there's either a sealer valve or it punctures a spot to vacuum and seals it over.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

the yeti posted:

What's up with that unusual sealer he's using in step 2? It looks like the bag is a ziploc sort of closure and there's either a sealer valve or it punctures a spot to vacuum and seals it over.

It's an Oliso Smart Sealer. It looks like it's the latter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally got around to making some burgs last night in the SV; made four, ate one, was mighty pleased with the results.

What's the best quick way to reheat the others as I wanna chow down? I'm told defrosting in the microwave out of the vacuum bag then searing works fine but I haven't tried it yet.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

namaste faggots posted:

I think pressure cooking is just as good. Also, tripe has a nasty smell and taste if you don't prepare it properly. I have no idea how to prepare tripe.

Tripe kinda always leaves your kitchen smelling like a barn.

Also, I think we're getting mixed up between tripe (stomach lining) and tripas (intestine). It's an unfortunate tricky false cognate.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I finally got around to making some burgs last night in the SV; made four, ate one, was mighty pleased with the results.

What's the best quick way to reheat the others as I wanna chow down? I'm told defrosting in the microwave out of the vacuum bag then searing works fine but I haven't tried it yet.

You could just reheat in the sous vide and then sear.

NOTE: I hate microwaves.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

You could just reheat in the sous vide and then sear.

NOTE: I hate microwaves.

Aye, and I assume that's the best way to preserve flavor, too; I was more asking for 'damnit work sucked and I'm hungry now and don't have anything else ready' methods :v:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
help me goons, you're my only hope

I have lamb breast in my puddle machine. all of the internet says sousvide for 20h at 60 deg c.

I only have 3 hours. I want this to work. current plan is to do it 3 hours at 75c, throw it on the grill, and see what happens. any advice? should I go higher still? 80c?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I think you're right on at 75/167 since you're going for connective breakdown in a short time.

Edit: Isn't it a super fatty cut?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

toplitzin posted:

I think you're right on at 75/167 since you're going for connective breakdown in a short time.

Edit: Isn't it a super fatty cut?

it's not super duper fatty. the piece I had was bone in, and around the ribs there was a lot of fat- but I boned it out and trimmed that up a bit. now it's kinda like skirt steak, but with a thin pork-belly-esque fat cap in places. never cooked it before, but have eaten it in some restaurants and was super good. hoping it will cook up a little like bacon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
crosspost but, it worked out

3 hours @ 75c + 30 minutes slow charrin + glazin on the grill.

sliced it thin on the bias like I would skirt steak, and it was plenty tender. not falling apart or anything, but "fork tender" I guess. v. tasty.

Dak02
Nov 23, 2003

SPARE SOME CHANGE??
Been lurking GWS for a while and figured I could get better help here than a support forum.So I just picked up an Anova Precision Cooker (the $199 model with wifi and bluetooth). Everything I have read about it suggests that I can monitor the device when I am not at home(on cellular data). I can connect to it via my wifi and bluetooth and configure it but when I turn those off on my Iphone 6+ it doesnt see the Anova. Any suggestions?

Dak02 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 20, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dak02 posted:

Been lurking GWS for a while and figured I could get better help here than a support forum.So I just picked up an Anova Precision Cooker (the $199 model with wifi and bluetooth). Everything I have read about it suggests that I can monitor the device when I am not at home(on cellular data). I can connect to it via my wifi and bluetooth and configure it but when I turn those off on my Iphone 6+ it doesnt see the Anova. Any suggestions?

At a guess, it's not accessible via the public network, only your local intranet. You'll need to poke a hole in your firewall and do this: http://www.howtogeek.com/66438/how-to-easily-access-your-home-network-from-anywhere-with-ddns/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Lamb shoulder turned out deliciously soft, though maybe a bit more medium than rare for my liking. Finished searing it on the grill.

I don't know if that's just a property of lamb shoulder, but it felt closer to corned beef than the pork shoulder I'm used to. I'll try 55°C instead of 57°C if I do this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

At a guess, it's not accessible via the public network, only your local intranet. You'll need to poke a hole in your firewall and do this: http://www.howtogeek.com/66438/how-to-easily-access-your-home-network-from-anywhere-with-ddns/

That's not how that works at all. You're not connecting directly to the Anova.

You connect the Anova to your Wi-Fi network and that way it's transmitting to the Internet (via Anova servers). You should then be able to connect to it from your phone any time you have access to the Internet (via the app). Sometimes it can take a minute for the app to pick up on the cooker and it takes several seconds for commands to transmit (start/pause, etc).

Make sure that when you're at home, you're actually able to see it via Wi-Fi, in the app you should see a wi-fi symbol above the cooker vs. a bluetooth symbol. If all you have is bluetooth, then obviously you won't see it on the internet.