Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe that's what I should ask for Christmas, box set of The Wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aces High posted:

I'd totally buy this for you, but oftentimes, after expenses, you could say that I'm... way down in the hole.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Aces High posted:

eBay dog, but that blu-ray though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The actor who played Bodie is in that new show " The Night Of". I don't know if he's going to be in more than the first episode, but he does a pretty good job playing a character that isn't too different from Bodie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Blu-Ray boxset is really worth it, the show looks great (kept my old DVDs though v:shobon:v)

empty baggie posted:

The actor who played Bodie is in that new show " The Night Of". I don't know if he's going to be in more than the first episode, but he does a pretty good job playing a character that isn't too different from Bodie.

Looks like he didn't learn his lesson about not talking to cops though!

I definitely think he'll be back in the show, he's a key witness AND we know he has lied to the police when he claimed to be alone. I'm just glad to see him on television again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is the night of good? I ask here because I trust the opinion of Wire fanatics about television more than most people

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Why the gently caress isn't "Homicide" on any of the streaming services :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is the night of good? I ask here because I trust the opinion of Wire fanatics about television more than most people

Well we're only one episode in so far but based on the strength of that episode unless they completely botch things from this point on I imagine it's going to be pretty loving good. From what little I've read about it beyond watching the first episode, apparently the only issue any of the critics have had with it is that it gets a little too cute in trying to flesh out the supporting characters with backstory/personality quirks, which just ends up feeling like a distraction from the far more compelling central plot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, the pilot episode of "The Night Of" was really drat good. Really hope they keep that level of quality going.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yes it is. The first had hour is a bit slow but it quickly finds its pace and it's pretty tense.

Simon is an exec producer as well.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Why the gently caress isn't "Homicide" on any of the streaming services :mad:

The book was delivered to me on friday and I am nearly halfway through already. I cannot help but overlay the faces of the Wire cast onto the ones in the book, but it gets all confusticated when people randomly call each other Bunk.

Damned good book, BTW.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cartouche posted:

The book was delivered to me on friday and I am nearly halfway through already. I cannot help but overlay the faces of the Wire cast onto the ones in the book, but it gets all confusticated when people randomly call each other Bunk.

Damned good book, BTW.

In your head, is landsman tv landsman, or real life landsman (Mello)?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm sure it's probably been mentioned, but Richard Price's CLOCKERS is a must.

It's sort of a proto-Wire, with similar attention to detail though it's not really concerned with institutions and is more just about the characters. In some ways it's almost like you're reading a lost storyline from this show.

Spike Lee made a movie of it but it's a very thin sketch of the book, and changes a few things for no real reason.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

I hate the Greek so much. Every other 'villain' in the series, even Marlo, has some kind of pull or appeal (even if, in Marlo's case, it's terror). But the Greek's just smug business in a greasy diner and he's got everything set up perfectly. I hate hate hate him. He's a creative success and I wouldn't erase him from the series but God do I hate his stupid little face.

I dunno, The Greek is arguably more sympathetic than Marlo. The Greek murders people, true, but he does so out of self preservation. Marlo has people killed because he likes the reputation it brings. With the Greek, if business is going smoothly, nobody is getting murdered.

Ziggy is the most frustrating character for me because a lot of what he does is self inflicted. He gets treated like a joke, sure, but he also willfully embraces that reputation half of the time, and fights it the other half. He sets out to make people laugh and then gets mad when they do.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno, The Greek is arguably more sympathetic than Marlo. The Greek murders people, true, but he does so out of self preservation. Marlo has people killed because he likes the reputation it brings. With the Greek, if business is going smoothly, nobody is getting murdered.
If business is going smoothly it's because he's successfully moving sex slaves (and drugs) across the atlantic

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Into the fourth season of the Wire for the first time with my folks, don't particularly care about spoilers myself. I always still enjoy seeing how things play out, even if I already know the answer. That said, I was sure Carcetti would be a force for good while mom called him turning out to be a scumbag immediately. He hasn't done much this season yet but I can see the seeds forming.

Meanwhile, I am immensely concerned about these kids. None of those stories can end well.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

nerdman42 posted:

Meanwhile, I am immensely concerned about these kids. None of those stories can end well.
HA! Joke's on you!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

awesmoe posted:

If business is going smoothly it's because he's successfully moving sex slaves (and drugs) across the atlantic

All in the game, yo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

awesmoe posted:

Probably one of the most chilling moments for me is after the Greek has killed the crewman responsible for the sex slaves' deaths, he verbalizes his problem with what the man did - not that the women were killed, but that he has lost potential revenue as a result. Then he just shrugs and says,"There will always be more women."

The guy is a monster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

He's terrible no doubt but Marlo is minus the sex slaves but far more murder. I'd consider murder worse than sex slavery. Kinda splitting hairs, though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The entire economy that enables Marlo to be Marlo is based off people like The Greek.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

In your head, is landsman tv landsman, or real life landsman (Mello)?

TV Landsman

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ha! Omar is in "the night of". Got a mini Wire reunion started.

E: and Michael K Williams off to a good start, and 3 episodes in of "The Night Of" keeping up with the quality of the first episode like I had hoped.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 25, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

empty baggie posted:

Ha! Omar is in "the night of". Got a mini Wire reunion started.

My daughter and I just finished season 4 of the Wire, and are re-watching season 5 of the Walking Dead, and we are having fun yelling at Cutty, D'Angelo, and Carver since they're all on screen at the same time a lot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

"The Night Of" is based off of a British show, so I'm avoiding spoilers because the show is that good so far. I'm sure bodies actor will play a part in later episodes, but Michael K Williams killed it in his new role last night and I can't wait to see where they take his character.

Sorry to keep bringing it up in this thread when the show has its own going, but so far it's been really quality television and while not really like the wire, there's definitely a crossover audience considering how it portrays the judicial system so accurately (so far).

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Finally finished S5. Omar getting offed was jarring. Shoehorning old characters got tiresome.

Seeing Bubbles and Omar be "reborn" as the kids was... I dunno how to feel about that.

I could have done without the whacky round about way of getting money for the Marlow investigation.

Best part? Cheese getting offed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cartouche posted:

Finally finished S5. Omar getting offed was jarring. Shoehorning old characters got tiresome.

Seeing Bubbles and Omar be "reborn" as the kids was... I dunno how to feel about that.

I could have done without the whacky round about way of getting money for the Marlow investigation.

The Police are not the good guys in The Wire.

Also everyone hates Cheese.

They are correct.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

chesh posted:

In interviews he will even say he had trouble narrowing the accent down, and it really slipped out when he A) Had a British director or B) Had scenes with Idris Elba.

And I love me some Idris (mmmmmmhmmmmmm) but I think it's sad he's really the only actor from this show to get stardom. Wendell Pierce and Clark Peters got to move on to Treme (and Peters is about to be my favorite bad guy on Person of Interest) and other non-locals have gotten bit parts here and there, but it feels like Dominic West pretty much disappeared from the American radar, and that makes me sad.

3.5 year lag on this response:
I just finished S5 recently, and I don't think it would have been the same had I known the actors from other work. For that I am grateful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

One thing bothered me about the Sobotka storyline. After they realize Frank is dead the FBI agent apologized to McNulty saying he thought Agent Koutris worked on customs cases but had been transfered to anti-terrorism implying that the FBI would protect the Greek because he could give good intel. Surely the mole would get in trouble for conspiring to kill a state's witness and the Greek was just as bad as a terrorist because his organization had already racked up two dozen bodies, imported tons of heroin, corrupted a port etc. The FBI might tolerate a criminal act to catch a bigger fish but there are limits, seemed kind of unrealistic in a show that was almost journalistic in tone.

Bear in mind the timing. This came out in 2003. The FBI is after specific terrorists, i.e. al Quaeda, because everyone's worried there could be another 9/11.

Also, Dominic West is doing ok for himself compared to most of the black guys from the show. He's on The Affair and also random British TV stuff.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Don't forget he and Idris are great buds in Finding Dory :v:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Bear in mind the timing. This came out in 2003. The FBI is after specific terrorists, i.e. al Quaeda, because everyone's worried there could be another 9/11.

"Hey, how come so quick?"

"Stringer Bell's given name? "

"Russell."

"For now. Achmed."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Wow I never realized Dante shot Tasha. Such a subtle little detail. Iirc Kimmy (is that her name? i forget) doesn't even realize that, nor Omar. In fact she almost certainly doesn't based on the way she goes Princess Vespa on the Barksdale soldier right after that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ginette Reno posted:

Wow I never realized Dante shot Tasha. Such a subtle little detail. Iirc Kimmy (is that her name? i forget) doesn't even realize that, nor Omar. In fact she almost certainly doesn't based on the way she goes Princess Vespa on the Barksdale soldier right after that.
I'm pretty sure she does realize that. She insinuates that she might tell the police what happened and glares at him. Omar breaks up the argument and says it's on him, that he killed her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure she does realize that. She insinuates that she might tell the police what happened and glares at him. Omar breaks up the argument and says it's on him, that he killed her.

I guess I must have zoned out during that scene. Like a forty degree day.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Yeah and when they're planning their next job, Dante's complaining that all he's doing is waiting in the alley, and Kimmy's like "that's where you belong, so I don't have to worry about you shooting me in the face"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartouche posted:

I just binged on the third to fifth seasons over the past few weeks and finally finished The Wire, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it. Could not believe that Clay Davis walked out of that grand jury investigation clean as a loving whistle :allears:.

Mike taking up Omar's old habits was pretty much the only way he had left if he wasn't going legit. Plus he had Stanfield's guys out for his head anyway.

Cheese getting casually shot in the head was very satisfying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could not believe that Clay Davis walked out of that grand jury investigation clean as a loving whistle :allears:.

I will always love that he walks in the shuffling corpse of a dead man and walks out the greatest hero in American history :laugh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nerdist Writers Panel did a good podcast with David Simon and some other dude worth listening too.

The Bowling Ball story :allears:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 4, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Got a link? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://nerdist.com/the-writers-panel-283-david-simon-and-tom-fontana/