Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's a shame that Simmons's takeaway from the Grantland experience was that his new venture needed to be internet-ier. I'm glad he's not into the idea of longform for longform's sake, but ratcheting up the number of themed series is producing a lot of really lovely content (in addition to the other lovely content on the website).

Did anyone on earth get excited by The Undeniables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I ended up unsubscribing from their email list after the 'when did you find out Taylor Swift was lying to you?' article was sent out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Some of y'all getting mad that a pop culture site writes about extremely popular pop culture figures occasionally is really funny

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It gets funnier and funnier with every sip of your coconut rum.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It seems like most of the articles are bad, that's my take on them. And that's despite the fact that I generally want to know as much about T-Swifty as possible

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just glad Shea Serrano is getting paid to write regularly again outside of books. netw3rk fits well obviously. Danny Chau is decent. Mays is more readable than Barnwell.

As far as non-Grantland alums so far I like Victor Luckerson.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I have to remind myself it's not "GrantlandHBO" it's an entirely different thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it's not sports but if you guys didn't read The Gawd Brian Phillips' Lost Highway piece for MTV you should fix that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm more disappointed than mad. I really liked Grantland but the new site is shifting farther away from sports than I really care for and a lot of the sports writing isn't really captivating.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Murray Chass to Mike Piazza on a HoF conference call: "talk about how I accused you of using steroids"

quote:

Mike Piazza’s election to the Baseball Hall of Fame likely was delayed until his fourth time on the ballot because of suspicion he used performance-enhancing drugs during his playing career. Now with his induction ceremony looming little more than a week away, Piazza was asked again about drugs.

On a media conference call Friday organized by the Hall of Fame to discuss his upcoming induction, the first question to Piazza was about steroids. He was asked to comment on the speculation by former New York Times writer Murray Chass, who won the Hall’s J.G. Taylor Spink Award in 2003.

“Is there a question?” Piazza initially responded.

“The question is, can you comment on the steroid speculation?” Chass replied.

“I think at the end of the day, Major League Baseball took steps to implement testing,” Piazza said. “I think there’s no question the game has moved on and it’s better because of that.”

The ex-Met star went on to say how pleased he was that baseball writers — members of the Baseball Writers Association of America — had elected him to the Hall of Fame. He’ll be inducted on July 24 along with Ken Griffey Jr.

Asked by Chass to talk more specifically about “whether you used steroids,” Piazza replied, “I’ve addressed that many times in the past, sir. Thank you.”

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Jesus, that guy is a real rear end

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is why you can't hand out creditials to every random blogger who asks

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm more disappointed than mad. I really liked Grantland but the new site is shifting farther away from sports than I really care for and a lot of the sports writing isn't really captivating.

There's literally no sports to write about right now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jason Whitlock thinks journalism has declined because of communism.

http://deadspin.com/wed-love-to-hear-more-of-jason-whitlocks-ideas-about-co-1783848700?rev=1468854875732

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh this is great

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol he is turning into Prop Joe

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I ended up unsubscribing from their email list after the 'when did you find out Taylor Swift was lying to you?' article was sent out.

Yeah but that was funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox Sports yanked an article that dared criticize the UFC

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

sportsgenius86 posted:

Prop Joe was actually good at his job.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bethlehem Shoals is having a complete meltdown on twitter right now about the RNC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sportsgenius86 posted:

Whitlock approves of this reference

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sportsgenius86 posted:

Body like Prop Joe, brain like Herc

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't mind The Ringer writing about pop culture, I just think it should be good writing about pop culture. Their stuff is Buzzfeed level bad.

The Ringer is Grantland minus the best writers.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

he's looking the part but he ain't playing the part

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

he's looking the part but he ain't playing the part

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bethlehem Shoals is having a complete meltdown on twitter right now about the RNC
In what way because I'm way too busy laughing at Melania Trump's plagiarism to dig through Tweets.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

In what way because I'm way too busy laughing at Melania Trump's plagiarism to dig through Tweets.

He was saying things like Pat Smith should be beaten to death and then saying that his rhetoric was a commentary on the rhetoric used at the convention. Any criticism was met with tweets along the lines of "unfollow me" or "you hear the stuff coming out of these speakers' mouths and you say I've crossed a line?!"

Also I just learned that Bethlehem Shoals is a pen name.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 19, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He wants to be Ezekiel Kweku so bad and it falls flat.

It's kind of sad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was saying things like Pat Smith should be beaten to death
Well if you think about it Pat Smith was already beaten to death by her son.

EDIT: I hate to derail but oh my god they're playing Michelle Obama and Melania Trump side-by-side on CNN and satire is officially dead because it can't beat the real thing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Niwrad posted:

The Ringer is Grantland minus the best writers.

Speaking of, MTV News just finished their redesign and the site is actually navigable now

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

He said he wants to beat Vilerat's Mom to death.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So this article got posted, Fox Sports pulled it because they said he "skirted the editorial process and posted it directly", which sounds like the biggest load of steaming horse poo poo on the planet. He posts the entire article on his facebook page, and then that gets taken down because Fox Sports filed a loving copyright claim over an article that they themselves pretty much admitted they never wanted to exist in the first place.

To the shock of no one, he has resigned. gently caress Fox forever. They can die in a fire, excluding the one guy who works there that posts in this thread. He's cool.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Crazy Ted posted:

EDIT: I hate to derail but oh my god they're playing Michelle Obama and Melania Trump side-by-side on CNN and satire is officially dead because it can't beat the real thing.

She gave a Michelle Obama speech and worked in a loving rick roll there's no way this campaign is anything other than a masterful troll of the entire universe

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Akileese posted:

So this article got posted, Fox Sports pulled it because they said he "skirted the editorial process and posted it directly", which sounds like the biggest load of steaming horse poo poo on the planet. He posts the entire article on his facebook page, and then that gets taken down because Fox Sports filed a loving copyright claim over an article that they themselves pretty much admitted they never wanted to exist in the first place.

To the shock of no one, he has resigned. gently caress Fox forever. They can die in a fire, excluding the one guy who works there that posts in this thread. He's cool.

Censorship sucks. Of course, that guy's article sucked even more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jota posted:

Censorship sucks. Of course, that guy's article sucked even more.

if articles were pulled just for bad writing then most of the internet wouldn't exist

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

He said he wants to beat Vilerat's Mom to death.

Really it's a mercy killing to save her from having to watch the Chargers this season

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Now that the UFC is pressuring a network to suppress articles about drug testing they have truly arrived as a major sport.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Some high quality content right here

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/755229456214716417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's amazing how out of touch Rovell is. Like I wouldn't consider myself particularly plugged in, but...how does a person get to the point where they think 'this is an interesting thing to tweet?'