Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Montalvo posted:

I tried out a whole bunch of shopping list apps but Google Keep is definitely the simplest and the best. If you create a note called 'Shopping list' on it, you can add shopping items with a voice command: "OK Google; add milk to shopping list." It's delightful.

My wife and I do this. I just shared the grocery list with her so it syncs to both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Does anyone ever lag on sending MMS messages with Textra to a group of iPhone users? This happens to me, and one other iPhone user has noticed this on his end. Not sure if it's Textra though.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

rngd in the womb posted:

Does anyone ever lag on sending MMS messages with Textra to a group of iPhone users? This happens to me, and one other iPhone user has noticed this on his end. Not sure if it's Textra though.

I get that as well. I'm never sure if it's Textra or the fact I'm in an MMS thread with iPhones though.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Good to know I'm not the only one. I don't remember clearly what this experience was like in Hangouts, but I'm certain that it wasn't positive. So I guess, yeah, it's not just Textra.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
MightyText has had some minor issues for me, so I figured I'd try out Join. However, I don't get notified of texts on the Windows 10 app. Everything else that I have enabled notifies just fine. Any ideas? Joao is apparently on vacation for at least another couple of weeks, so the free trial might expire before I hear back from him.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

feedmyleg posted:

What's the best free, lightweight audio player?

I don't need it to pull in album artwork, I don't need it to create playlists, I don't need it to connect to internet radio or podcast streams, I don't need it to do anything other than play MP3s that I've downloaded onto my phone. Additional features wouldn't hurt, mind you, I just want something that is really straightforward.

One of the best standalone music players is PowerAmp.
I use it for everything I haven't uploaded to Google Play Music, like mixes with CUE files.

The full version is not free though. It's something like $4 for a full version, but the trial version lets you test out all features for 15 days. Not sure if it stops working at that point or just limits access to some features.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I use Poweramp and I'll add that it's really ugly and has a million functions.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

rngd in the womb posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one. I don't remember clearly what this experience was like in Hangouts, but I'm certain that it wasn't positive. So I guess, yeah, it's not just Textra.

I think I had similar issues with hangouts but they manifest in different ways. If I remember correctly, Hangouts would sometimes not let me send MMS at all to iPhone groups in certain (random?) situations. Textra will occasionally show the message as sending and take a really long time to verify it is sent. Images, even small ones, seem to be the trigger sometimes. They usually send over the course of an hour or two but I have had people get texts in the middle of the night a day later, but that is rare.

My guess is that it's less the messaging app, more the interaction with the iPhone groups. It would be amazing if Apple ever released an Android version of their stock messaging app for secure, wifi-data messages. There are times when I'm not in cell service but have wifi access and simply need to send/receive texts... ugh

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

MightyText has had some minor issues for me, so I figured I'd try out Join. However, I don't get notified of texts on the Windows 10 app. Everything else that I have enabled notifies just fine. Any ideas? Joao is apparently on vacation for at least another couple of weeks, so the free trial might expire before I hear back from him.

I think you have to specifically the SMS service.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Bah, I forgot to mention that I can send texts and view the thread just fine. I just don't get the notifications for some reason.

Edit: I figured out what you meant; I had to check my computer(s) under SMS -> SMS Devices.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 17, 2016

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I use Poweramp and I'll add that it's really ugly and has a million functions.

Agreed.

I've been using Rocket Player for years and it's excellent.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Alternatively, http://www.shuttlemusicplayer.com is great. There's a paid version but the basic one covers everything that I need.

I'm not sure what PowerAmp does that I'd need over it.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
miso paste

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Any one use the google play music play lists made from artists? Have you found a way to get it to only play the explicit version of songs? I feel like if there is a clean version of a song, it is picked over the original. In the settings on the web, there is an option to "block explicit songs in radio", it is unchecked.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nope there's no way to force explicit songs. For me on the radio it picks one version and sticks with it for awhile, but if the list changes at all on a refresh it might switch to the edited version. It's my only real complaint these days.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It always pissed me off when I use voice controls to ask for "gently caress you" and it plays "Forget you"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Lowen SoDium posted:

It always pissed me off when I use voice controls to ask for "gently caress you" and it plays "Forget you"

Try asking it to play americaspremierefaithbasedinitiative by dillinger four... It doesn't know :wtf: to do with that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Help, my news app 'News Republic' has a new update/beta update that's loving terrible and made navigation impossible and removing a lot of poo poo. I need a good news app and Flipboard is annoying as gently caress, too little screen space for the news article.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 21, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Google Play Newsstand has been around for a while and Google went back and brought their old news and weather thingy into this century.

I'm not going to say Never Don't Google, but they're pretty good at giving people plenty of reasons to use their stuff and few reasons to stop using their stuff.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Help, my news app 'News Republic' has a new update/beta update that's loving terrible and made navigation impossible and removing a lot of poo poo. I need a good news app and Flipboard is annoying as gently caress, too little screen space for the news article.

I use Feedly, I'm pretty happy with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shockingly, Digg Reader is a fantastic, simple feed reader. I prefer the web version since it's so lightweight.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Feedly, I'm pretty happy with it.

Same. I've tried a couple alternatives and can see the appeal of them, but feedly just works for me. I'm sure it's a case where there's a "better" app out there and I'm only sticking with this one because I'm comfortable with it, but, in this case, I'm totally fine with that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm a fan of gReader because it doesn't "magazine-ify" feeds, works with Feedly, and has options per feed that gets around things like the feed being truncated or other weirdness.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I stupidly deleted my Google News & Weather 4x2 widget and now I can't seem to get it back.

I miss being able to see both news AND weather. :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its the 2x3 you want. It can be resized to 4x2

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Its the 2x3 you want. It can be resized to 4x2

I… don't seem to have that option.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Scroll right. It's not very obvious that you can do that if you don't see a sliver of the next widget.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Scroll right. It's not very obvious that you can do that if you don't see a sliver of the next widget.

:aaaaa:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

:psyboom:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have a Nexus 10 tablet laying around that I don't use as and thought to set it up as a motion activated camera in my home to spy on my cat who has recently developed a bad behavior. Does anyone here have experience using an Android device like this? I'm just polling for opinions before I start going through apps trying to find one that's good to use.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a Nexus 10 tablet laying around that I don't use as and thought to set it up as a motion activated camera in my home to spy on my cat who has recently developed a bad behavior. Does anyone here have experience using an Android device like this? I'm just polling for opinions before I start going through apps trying to find one that's good to use.

I used to use Manything on an old iPhone for this, it looks like they finally have a beta app for Android, though it seems it may not work if that N10 is already on Marshmallow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to get Keep to sort your notes so that the one that was modified the latest is at the top? It looks like its sorting by creation date, not modified date.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to get Keep to sort your notes so that the one that was modified the latest is at the top? It looks like its sorting by creation date, not modified date.

It's doing this for me (but I only use it sporadically and maybe not the correct way).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a camera app that lets me take self-timer pictures at certain intervals? Like, say, I want the camera to automatically take a picture ever 5 seconds until I turn it off?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hey santa baby posted:

It's doing this for me (but I only use it sporadically and maybe not the correct way).

Well, I haven't found any automatic sorting, but I found that you can change the view into a column of cards and then manually sort that way. That at least lets me put my groceries list at the top.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a camera app that lets me take self-timer pictures at certain intervals? Like, say, I want the camera to automatically take a picture ever 5 seconds until I turn it off?

Lapse It worked for me. It seems to be a bit dated though. A while ago Hyperlapse seemed to get hyped a lot, but I haven't used it myself. Searching the app store for "time lapse" also shows Framelapse, which looks useful.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Wonder if anyone knows.

I paid for the Dark Sky subscription, because I loved the app when I had an iPhone, and wanted it on Android. Worked fine, same old amazing app I remember.

Anyway, I replace my android phone with a cooler, better, more handsome model, but now Dark Sky seems to not realize I have a subscription to it. Anyone any ideas?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Funso Banjo posted:

Wonder if anyone knows.

I paid for the Dark Sky subscription, because I loved the app when I had an iPhone, and wanted it on Android. Worked fine, same old amazing app I remember.

Anyway, I replace my android phone with a cooler, better, more handsome model, but now Dark Sky seems to not realize I have a subscription to it. Anyone any ideas?

Subscriptions don't transfer cross platform. You'd need to contact the developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Subscriptions don't transfer cross platform. You'd need to contact the developer
Read it again, says Android to Android.

There's usually a "check purchase" option in the settings somewhere that should find your subscription again.

Edit: Just looked, can't see anything in Dark Sky. Are you logged into the same Google account in the Play Store on both phones?