Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Careful with refurbs. Check their reviews. Some do painting over older balls that can disguise a pretty abused older ball or waterlogged ball. Better off with xxx outs or practice balls.

I only tried them because they have a 30 day no questions return policy if you don't like them. Also the reviews were good. It's worth a gamble if it doesn't work out I'll just return them for found/washed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

drat dude.

I love my Mizuno irons but isn't the price gap between Mizuno and PXG/Miura like, really big?

edit: Oh wait, you work for the high end golf training/store right? Discount is pretty big I'm guessing?

Yeah, Miura and PXG are like 2X the cost of Mizunos, but my clubs are free so all I care about is which ones perform better.

There's actually a pretty big margin in all of the clubs from what I've seen. Percentage wise it's fairly close between all of the manufacturers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

Yeah, Miura and PXG are like 2X the cost of Mizunos, but my clubs are free so all I care about is which ones perform better.

There's actually a pretty big margin in all of the clubs from what I've seen. Percentage wise it's fairly close between all of the manufacturers.
Forged blades are forged blades. I hit some Miura's at a store and they didn't feel any different than my Titleists.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Forged blades are forged blades. I hit some Miura's at a store and they didn't feel any different than my Titleists.

I definitely have to disagree there. Titleist MBs feel way different than MP-5s, for example. At least they do to me.

The type of steel is different, the weighting/mass of the club head is different, ...etc.

It's not night and day different, like the difference in feel between a JPX and an MP-5, but it's definitely different.

That said, the PXG 0311T irons have a completely different feel to them than any other forged iron I've ever hit. When you hit one, especially the longer irons, you can just tell that the ball speed coming off the face is faster (with the same shaft and with the same loft as another club). Then you look at the Trackman numbers and you're like, "yup, 5mph faster ball speed."

I don't know that faster ball speed and a little extra distance on an iron is worth paying $300+ per club, but I'm seeing tons of these things selling every day and it's not just because of the marketing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 0311T lofts are a little strong though, and they have a hollow body construction. That's where your extra ball speed is coming from, and I'm not sure what the point of that would even be since you'd still have to fill the distance gaps up to your lob wedge.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Most fun part of my Friday other than not having to work was watching my handicap drop from a 7.6 to a 4.8 after a pretty lights out round of 78 where I managed 69% FIR, 59% GIR, with a accuracy off the tee of 89% total with 100% par3s hit. Also 36 putts (I 2 putt every god drat hole) because they just aerated and didn't tell me on the phone when i booked and nothing was rolling true, but also surprisingly fast. Also, screw golfshot for tracking... I started using 'The Grint' a couple months ago and it's pretty great. Also the handicap is provided by the grint app which is apparently USGA regulation or whatever

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thebushcommander posted:

Most fun part of my Friday other than not having to work was watching my handicap drop from a 7.6 to a 4.8 after a pretty lights out round of 78 where I managed 69% FIR, 59% GIR, with a accuracy off the tee of 89% total with 100% par3s hit. Also 36 putts (I 2 putt every god drat hole) because they just aerated and didn't tell me on the phone when i booked and nothing was rolling true, but also surprisingly fast. Also, screw golfshot for tracking... I started using 'The Grint' a couple months ago and it's pretty great. Also the handicap is provided by the grint app which is apparently USGA regulation or whatever

Thanks for this. I just loaded TheGrint app, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully get to get a couple of rounds in next week and add a few scores.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

torgeaux posted:

Thanks for this. I just loaded TheGrint app, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully get to get a couple of rounds in next week and add a few scores.

Yeah it has adjustable point gps for free which is nice and from what I can tell, at least on my phone it's pretty spot on to like 1-2 yards at the most which is better than golflogix or the gps stuff in the golfnow app.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

The Grint is dope, been using it for over a year

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
RBG 26.4% off site wide... can get that King F6+ for 220 in what appears to be a well matched shaft for me...someone tell me not to do it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

RBG 26.4% off site wide... can get that King F6+ for 220 in what appears to be a well matched shaft for me...someone tell me not to do it.
It's discounted to $299 everywhere, which means a new model is on the horizon. All the other major OEMs will be releasing new stuff in the next couple months too.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

It's discounted to $299 everywhere, which means a new model is on the horizon. All the other major OEMs will be releasing new stuff in the next couple months too.

I could wait, I suppose, not sure how much I will be golfing in the coming weeks thanks to this increased heat situation. Though I will be in Oak Island at the start of August and will be playing Carolina National again along with Oak Island GC

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, yesterday was brutal. Missed the first 5 greens, but never more than 10 feet, and always pin side, so just really tough pitch shots in. One 1 putt all day, but no 3 putts, so I guess it was ok. Hate to hit the ball well and just keep bogeying every hole. One birdie on a terrible shot into the green. From 150, hit a thin shot to 10 inches for my only 1 putt. Drives were long, where I aimed them, but straight when I was playing for a draw, and drawing when I was playing for them to be straight. Frustrating.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I forgot to mention this but last week I got my first experience of Top Golf at the one in Kansas City while I was there on business. Holy poo poo that is so much fun.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

thebushcommander posted:

I could wait, I suppose, not sure how much I will be golfing in the coming weeks thanks to this increased heat situation. Though I will be in Oak Island at the start of August and will be playing Carolina National again along with Oak Island GC

Growing up my family went to oak island every year. We have a big family and we would all stay in a beach house. A lot of good memories there. Haven't been for years though, is it still relatively quite/ not very developed? I can't even remember the courses I played there, it was before I was old enough to drive a cart.

I went to myrtle for the first time this summer for a drinking/golf trip with the guys and it was a blast. Completely different than what I remember the family oak island trip lol.

RE: golfball chat. I like srixon Z-stars and bought 50 AAAA quality at the beginning of the season from http://www.golfballsdirect.com when they had a sale. I've been happy with them. They are mostly like new, some have some marks from a sharpie but no scuffs, none of them seemed dead or anything.

Also walked 36 holes in the TW15 shoes I got off mattfl, they are super comfy I'm really liking them. Super happy with them especially for the price, they are my go to shoes now.

Upgraded from my old ping hoofer that I've had since high school. I was worried that coming from a hoofer this would be too bulky to walk with but after a few rounds I'm really happy with the bag. The back straps are comfortable and when it's loaded up you can't tell the ~1 pound difference. Also the 14 way divider is really nice, all the clubs slide right in without getting tangled. I walk when i play by myself and am in a cart the other times I'm playing with other people so this bag is a perfect inbetween for me. As a bonus it was marked wrong at my local golf shop so I got it for $170 instead of the msrp of $210!

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 19, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

dangling pointer posted:

Growing up my family went to oak island every year. We have a big family and we would all stay in a beach house. A lot of good memories there. Haven't been for years though, is it still relatively quite/ not very developed? I can't even remember the courses I played there, it was before I was old enough to drive a cart.

I went to myrtle for the first time this summer for a drinking/golf trip with the guys and it was a blast. Completely different than what I remember the family oak island trip lol.

I don't know how undeveloped it is, we stay on Caswell Beach which is all houses, no hotels or anything. There isn't "much" around just a few of beach shops, maybe a couple miles up the road is a shopping center with a grocery store and stuff. I don't know the area very well though. Oak Island GC is about 1/2 mile from the house we stay at and Carolina National is like a 20 minute drive into the middle of no where up 211 in Bolivia, NC. 211 is probably the most sparse road I've seen in a long time, though last year it looked like there were a lot of new developments being built on it. If you go the other way and north you're in Wilmington, NC which is pretty booming last I was there. For the most part Oak Island/Caswell Beach area is family beach atmosphere not touristy like Myrtle, so it's usually pretty quiet.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah, that's how I remember it, fairly quiet and not much around, it's very relaxing. I must have played Oak Island GC because I remember it being really close to the house we stayed at.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

I love mine for what it's worth.

I think Kameh also has one.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnig posted:

Saw one of Ebay too for 179.99, but it's not the color I want :(

WHooooop - Just won an auction in ebay after an intense 4 minute bid war between myself and 3 other people. $160 delivered. Not bad and it's the color and shaft I wanted.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 19, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

Saw one of Ebay too for 179.99, but it's not the color I want :(

WHooooop - Just won an auction in ebay after an intense 4 minute bid war between myself and 3 other people. $160 delivered. Not bad and it's the color and shaft I wanted.

It better be the green one!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnig posted:

It better be the green one!

Nah, it's blue... it was a toss up between that in the full orange club head one, but I didn't see many of those in the + version.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

I do have one. I love it.

Nice grab!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Upgraded from my old Vokeys:

http://taylormadegolf.com/Tour-Preferred-EF-Wedge/DW-WZ333.html

52 & 56 with 1" added length. Will give them a whirl this weekend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Upgraded from my old Vokeys:

http://taylormadegolf.com/Tour-Preferred-EF-Wedge/DW-WZ333.html

52 & 56 with 1" added length. Will give them a whirl this weekend.
Where's your 60*? :colbert:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I have a Vokey 60* but I only really use it if I'm stuck behind a tree or am short sided with a good lie. Can't justify buying a new one as it has very little wear :)

Currently in the bag:

Driver, 2i, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 52, 56, 60 (Vokey) & Putter.

drat that's only 13 clubs.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I have like 17 clubs in my bag cause it's not a tournament and it's supposed to be fun hahaha

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

I have like 17 clubs in my bag cause it's not a tournament and it's supposed to be fun hahaha

Haha, I'm definitely not playing you for money then!

I just have no use for hybrids or 3/5 woods as I'm too inconsistent with them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

That's golf. My 5 wood is my go to off the tee if I have to be in the fairway. Reliably 250 or so (I play at 7000 feet). I can hit a 1i or 2i, but just without consistency.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

I have had a few rounds of that lately. Just these huge hooks which still go but end up on the fairway to the right. Only with my 3 wood and 2 Hybrid.

Had my last handicap round on Sunday and managed to work the surefit 913D3 screw loose on my driver so I had to bag it on the 3rd. Ended up playing with a 3 iron off the tee and shot a really ordinary 94 which could have been a lot better if I wasn't sacrificing so much distance off the tee.

I'm looking into an original callaway project x 18* to swap out for my hybrid.

Also had my first round with the refurbed V1s, they went ok. Not going to do it again but I think paying for the chrome soft are worth it, I much prefer the feel and also bite around the green seems so much more superior which suits me game better.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 20, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would love to hear about the golf goons experience with dealing with rampant exaggeration, sandbagging and downright cheating that you encounter in some circles of golf. I drives me crazy when I meet someone new and we start talking golf, then they claim they are a 9 hdcp but when we go play they are going over 100 everytime. I've pretty much made peace with this, and understand how many view their handicap is like their dick size, where they just exaggerate it down 10 strokes or up 3 inches. Whatever. I do find it funny that when I tell people I have a 28 handicap and they reply with like a 11 ( But I used to be a 6 in college, theyll say) and they end up being within 1 stroke of my final after 18.

Anyways, enough of my bitching. Did anyone else read this thread on golfWRX about this amateur claiming to have shot a 57, with THREE hole in ones in one round??? And it gets better, two of the 1s were on par fours! Jesus. Oh and also his two sons came 2nd and 3rd in the tournament after he finished 1st.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1200702-virginia-golfer-shoots-57-with-3-aces-2-on-par-4s-golfchannelcom/

The original article.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/va-golfer-makes-three-aces-shoots-57/

Does anyone believe this guy?

Edit : And since I sound like such a stickler. When it comes to playing a casual round with your buddies, going through 5 beers a half on a lazy sunday. I never give a poo poo if people take an extra shot, or move their lie. I just mean if you are pretending you are keeping a legit score or are in tournament/competition.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

...No. 7, a par-4 measuring 278 yards. Wills said he lasered the distance as 250 yards to the front of the green, hit a "baby-draw 3-wood" and then went to go find the ball.

"I was trying to be realistic, so I started looking on the back of the green," Wills said. "I was pleasantly surprised to say the least."

Wills made the turn in 29. Three holes later, he hit a driver on the 311-yard 10th hole. The shot looked pretty good, but Wills was still shocked when his playing partners told him the ball was in the hole - again.

Yeah this came up a year ago and was largely met with skepticism. Everything about this screams bullshit, especially with how he defends himself.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
On one golf trip there was a guy that posted some high scores before the trip, and then somehow thought gorse was to be treated as a lateral water hazard. And uh, I was more annoyed by others' slow play than anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And yeah people loving with handicaps are definitely annoying but my ultimate bugaboo is still pace of play by a wide margin. 9 times out of 10 I'm not playing for money/prizes anyway, and the rare times that I do are with people I know and trust. partly so I know they're good for the money :v:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I honestly don't think I can name a single friend/acquaintance who has an actual official handicap. There's a few guys with league handicaps but those are useless since it's only from one course, people give each other 5 footers all day, and almost everybody plays OB like its a hazard instead of stroke-and-distance (which I'm cool with for casual rounds for pace of play purposes). Hell, in my club championship this year a guy I was grouped with took free relief from the natural stone cliff that surrounds part of a green because "that's how we always play it".

I tell people I'm somewhere between a scratch and bogey golfer and leave it at that. I do hear tons of outlandish distance claims though which end up being funny for me and embarrassing for them when we actually play a round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I keep an official one and it seems to square with where I'm at if I really have to put the hammer down and play a serious everything-counts round for money. Officially I'm a 12.5 right now and tell people I mostly shoot mid 80s/bogey golf, and that seems to jive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

On one golf trip there was a guy that posted some high scores before the trip, and then somehow thought gorse was to be treated as a lateral water hazard. And uh, I was more annoyed by others' slow play than anything.
To be fair, if they're dropping within 2 club lengths, it's effectively the same as taking an unplayable.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

If I had an official handicap it would be like 9 right now, but that's because the course I play most of my rounds at is rated 68/69 (par 70) somehow when it should probably be rated at like 64/66. I can shoot low 70s there fairly often and would be lucky to break 80 at other courses around me that are rated similarly. There's a state park course I play that is a par 72, has almost identical course ratings, and is much much more difficult in every way imaginable. If I were to calculate my handicap based on that course I'd probably be like an 18.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I just had a really bad range session. Hitting everything fat or thin with any adjustment I made only working for a couple of shots. In leagues on Monday I started out really well, finished poorly but still beat my quota. So I'm at this point now where my left shoulder is a little shore and I don't know what's going on with my swing.

Now What?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get into some of those moments and I find the best thing to do is just to take a few days off from the game, get into some other hobbies, do stuff to get my mind off it and come back fresh. It's really easy to get inside your own head sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, if they're dropping within 2 club lengths, it's effectively the same as taking an unplayable.

Oh I mean a lost ball in dense gorse. Like on the right side of this hole: