Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Asiina posted:

Now that a lot of my friends are having kids, it's funny to see the naming patterns. The people with super typical names with only one common spelling are giving unusual names or names spelled differently, whereas people who have names that can be spelled in lots of different ways are naming their kids something that could only reasonably be spelled one way.

As someone with a name that can be spelled easily half a dozen different ways, I sure as gently caress am not burdening my kids with having their name spelled wrong on official documents half their lives.

But I can understand someone who had a typical name that they were always one of many that they want to give something unusual or unique.

There are 17,000 people with my exact same first, middle and last name in the US. If I have a kid I'll probably give them a cool name spelled normally, I like "josephine" for a girl and "Sawyer" for a boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bart

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I hate bizarre rear end spellings of names

srsly

Mine is normal enough that usually somebody knows somebody with that spelling (which usually involves a story about their cousin's daughter's neighbour) but generally they won't get it right on the first try.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Fixed that for you with the most common spelling

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

MG3 almost had it.
?
Erik

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

MG3 posted:

?
Erik

Yup.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asiina posted:

srsly

Mine is normal enough that usually somebody knows somebody with that spelling (which usually involves a story about their cousin's daughter's neighbour) but generally they won't get it right on the first try.

Meahgeahan.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Lmao

Erika is how I prefer to spell the female version, usually though the male version is with a C. Shoulda gone with my gut there and spelled it with a K.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Norse fucker

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

There are 17,000 people with my exact same first, middle and last name in the US. If I have a kid I'll probably give them a cool name spelled normally, I like "josephine" for a girl and "Sawyer" for a boy

I'm actually mad about this because ever since I was about 12 I've had the PERFECT girl's name picked out: Abigail. It was an older name that wasn't used very much anymore but that everyone still knew, it had one standard spelling, and it could be shortened to Abbie which I think is absolutely adorable. And then...

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Asiina posted:

I'm actually mad about this because ever since I was about 12 I've had the PERFECT girl's name picked out: Abigail. It was an older name that wasn't used very much anymore but that everyone still knew, it had one standard spelling, and it could be shortened to Abbie which I think is absolutely adorable. And then...

Abigail is a cool name, Abbie is a cute nickname. Everyone figured it out the same all at once haha.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My name can't even be charted like that. :)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
My name is rather boring

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mine is hella religious when you think about it

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

have u ever worked w/ any erics and you have to get a nickname like erik w/ a k

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Spiros posted:

Mine is hella religious when you think about it

Dan Brown?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Podima posted:

Yo I don't think anyone ITT lives or commutes in that area but stay the hell away from the Tappan Zee Bridge or GW Bridge today.

*checks news*

NOT MY COMPANY'S FAULT, YAY!

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

CCKeane posted:

*checks news*

NOT MY COMPANY'S FAULT, YAY!

Hope nobody was injured.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

have u ever worked w/ any erics and you have to get a nickname like erik w/ a k

Fortunately not. I don't even like to respond when people say my name, much less someone else's. Surnames are better for that sort of thing.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Fortunately not. I don't even like to respond when people say my name, much less someone else's. Surnames are better for that sort of thing.

I just imagine someone calling your name, and you scowling and walking away.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My last name is Darrow and my family pronounces it so it rhymes with arrow. The joke in our family is that if either my brother or I have a kid, we would name it Bowen. Although we should probably spell it as Bowan.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I just imagine someone calling your name, and you scowling and walking away.

Yes, that's about right. But I make sure to scowl in whatever direction from which they aren't calling my name so as not to indicate that I've heard them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MG3 posted:

Hope nobody was injured.

5 injured, none serious.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

CCKeane posted:

5 injured, none serious.

Good, glad everybody's ok. It would suck to die because your company doesn't want to put the money into maintaining the equipment you use to do your job and make them money.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MG3 posted:

Good, glad everybody's ok.

I don't know if I'd go that far, tragically some of the victims live in Staten Island.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

Good, glad everybody's ok. It would suck to die because your company doesn't want to put the money into maintaining the equipment you use to do your job and make them money.

NYC.txt

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

My last name is Darrow and my family pronounces it so it rhymes with arrow. The joke in our family is that if either my brother or I have a kid, we would name it Bowen. Although we should probably spell it as Bowan.

Louise or Louis works too. The pronunciation is off but someone will get it.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Louise or Louis works too. The pronunciation is off but someone will get it.

Lewis.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

CCKeane posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, tragically some of the victims live in Staten Island.

Lol my grandma grew up in Staten Island, though that was like the 1940's

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

Eh, they'll probably just leave their cars there, walk to the other side of the bridge, take a cab and buy a new car when they get home.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Capitalism.txt

Fixed.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
My name is weird af and I have to spend a not insignificant amount of time explaining it to everyone I meet. I don't know if I'm going to have kids, but if I do they are getting fairly generic names.

I've always been fond of Erika.

EXAKT Science fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 19, 2016

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I will name my child Skullcrusher if male and Skull "Beverly" Crusher if female.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

I will never father a child, and if I do, I will not be naming him/her.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my name means "will of the Asians" in french

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

PBS Newshour posted:

Is your name Willem D'Asaagnes?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MG3 posted:

Is your name Willem D'Asaagnes?

no its Totally Spies

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

PBS Newshour posted:

no its Totally Spies

same

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

i've always thought La Volonté de l'Orient would be a lovely girl's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EXAKT Science posted:

My name is weird af and I have to spend a not insignificant amount of time explaining it to everyone I meet. I don't know if I'm going to have kids, but if I do they are getting fairly generic names.

I've always been fond of Erika.

No way man, LT Surge is the best gym leader