Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I am Setsuna
Platform: PS4/PC Digital Only
Release Date: July 19th, 2016
Price: $39.99

Published (not developed) by Square Enix, I Am Setsuna was released in Japan earlier this year. It took the RPG world by storm with its resemblance to the classic hit - Chrono Trigger in both aesthetic and gameplay. The official game description even admits this up front:

"Inspired by the timeless classic Chrono Trigger, I am Setsuna is a great homage to the JRPG masterpieces of yesteryear. Journey with Setsuna as she prepares to make the ultimate sacrifice and save the people of her land."

(look familiar?)

Boasting 20-25 hours of gameplay, Setsuna is probably going to be the RPG to talk about this Summer. Some complaints that people wrote about the Japanese release is its lack of sidequests and depressing story. If you're looking for an old-school SNES type RPG - this is up your alley. I pre-ordered the game and can't wait to play because of my affinity for all things Chrono Trigger. I hope I won't be disappointed, but now we can have a space to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Hell it even has the x-strike. Is there a way to save Luca this time?

Here is a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txT2EicrHE

The whole sacrifice plotline is interesting. It would be cool to see someone do a better FFX than FFX

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 19, 2016

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Harlock posted:

20-25 hours of gameplay

lack of sidequests
Sign me up. The last couple of newish JRPG's I've played (Bravely Default and Trails of Cold Steel) have been way too long and poorly paced so I never ended up finishing them. I'm looking forward to a tighter experience.

Also are Tokyo RPG Factory independent? I thought they actually were a Square Enix development studio opened specifically to make games like these.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I honestly don't understand the Chrono Trigger comparisons here. Other than having team attacks, I don't really see it. Chrono Trigger was...like...colorful and fun and used multiple time periods to pull of wildly varied environments. This just looks like Banner Saga: The Anime.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rocketlex posted:

I honestly don't understand the Chrono Trigger comparisons here. Other than having team attacks, I don't really see it. Chrono Trigger was...like...colorful and fun and used multiple time periods to pull of wildly varied environments. This just looks like Banner Saga: The Anime.

Eh? Looking at the screenshots on Steam the game looks like it has plenty of color. Some of them are drab but I imagine that's the point since they are areas engulfed in freezing weather. Plenty of others have good use of color. This seems like complaining that the future wasteland in CT wasn't colorful.

I doubt I'll get this though unless it gets really good praise. Mainly because the plot seems to be about self-sacrifice which is always painfully stupid in JRPGs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'll keep it on my list even though that e3 trailer just made me want to play Chrono Trigger again. Gat dang that remixed song.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

J-Spot posted:

Also are Tokyo RPG Factory independent? I thought they actually were a Square Enix development studio opened specifically to make games like these.

They are square enix, but the applicants didn't know the company was Square Enix until after they were hired.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to give this a go and scratch the classic RPG itch, but it's had the misfortune of releasing just after a major FFXIV update and Monster Hunter Generations. Oops :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm keeping my eye on this but i'm gonna wait until the game launches to get an idea of how its writing holds up

CT kind of lived on its writing, its mechanics were cool and all but if i hadn't been invested in the team's struggle then i wouldn't have even gotten to magus's tower

depressing story seems kinda cool though, a proper bleak story is hard to come by. hopefully it's not just endlessly grimdark though, that's pretty easy to adjust to and stop giving a poo poo about.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I really want this game, but I've been juggling TMS#FE and Odin Sphere and still aren't done with either of those yet. I might wait until I clear out one of them first. Then again, I might crack and buy it when I get home tonight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Coolguye posted:

CT kind of lived on its writing, its mechanics were cool and all but if i hadn't been invested in the team's struggle then i wouldn't have even gotten to magus's tower

The battle system, general aesthetic (memorable/eye-catching locales and distinguishable (mostly, pretty small amount of screen time in that demo) characters at a glance) and music are all pretty close to CT which raises a giant neon red flag in my head labelled 'this might be trying so hard to be Chrono Trigger it forgets/fails to be it's own thing' in terms of the writing.

I can think of half a dozen ways they can make it interesting and about two-dozen ways they can mess it up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The game is alright so far, after 3-4 hours in. Just standard old JRPG style combat, nothing flashy. I haven't found a shop to buy new weapons or accessories yet or new techniques. I was half expecting the Setsuna and Sword guy to be able to do Aura Whirl - but sadly they do not.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Considering all the reviews are saying the game has a bad story and forgettable characters/location I'm not sure why anyone would want to play it. Those things are like 90% of the appeal of a jrpg, not the combat.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Megasabin posted:

Considering all the reviews are saying the game has a bad story and forgettable characters/location I'm not sure why anyone would want to play it. Those things are like 90% of the appeal of a jrpg, not the combat.

Verge and Polygon were pretty positive on it, where have the bad reviews been (everywhere else? :v:)?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The devs said they studied everything Chrono Trigger including the pacing when developing it, which is nice since most RPGs in general don't have pacing nearly as tight.

I'll give it a go but I hope it's something more than a nostalgia fest. It seems to be getting ok reviews overall.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Can't use an Xbox One controller, game doesn't recognize it. And none of the keys for keyboard make sense, so you just get to flail around.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
... So is it any good?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
It's fine but doesn't do anything new. Plots a bit of a bore.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
People should stop mentioning Chrono Trigger. This is a good way to get extremely disappointed. It isn't a bad game, but if you compare it to CT, it's gonna feel like trash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BabyRyoga posted:

People should stop mentioning Chrono Trigger. This is a good way to get extremely disappointed. It isn't a bad game, but if you compare it to CT, it's gonna feel like trash.

It's hard not to when the game obviously is heavily inspired by it.

I played a few hours and it's okay so far but I kinda regret paying $40 for it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

The battle system, general aesthetic (memorable/eye-catching locales and distinguishable (mostly, pretty small amount of screen time in that demo) characters at a glance) and music are all pretty close to CT which raises a giant neon red flag in my head labelled 'this might be trying so hard to be Chrono Trigger it forgets/fails to be it's own thing' in terms of the writing.

I can think of half a dozen ways they can make it interesting and about two-dozen ways they can mess it up.

yeah i would honestly be fine with it if they aped chrono trigger's writing style too and basically just set it up as a CT spiritual sequel that wasn't stuck in IP purgatory. like an actual sequel to CT, or a spinoff where like Lucca and Robo gently caress off to space and spend all their time tooling around and being awesome would be fantastic, but after chrono cross i'm pretty sure nobody at square wants to touch the IP again

that said this post

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

It's fine but doesn't do anything new. Plots a bit of a bore.
pretty much sealed it for me that this isn't getting bought until i see it at 15 bucks on a sale or something

e:

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's hard not to when the game obviously is heavily inspired by it.
also when the steam store page has the game's name in the first loving sentence.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The introduction and first 40 minutes of this game proves quickly that the developers of this game have little understanding what made the game that's so casually name dropped in the description so good.

The dialog is stiff and hackneyed, and the game is so bogged down in tradition that it doesn't go anywhere with its ideas.

Then it beats you over the head in quick succession with classic RPG callbacks.

Oh look, Cyclone. Remember cyclone? Well this guy who vaguely resembles Chrono learns cyclone, get it?

Oh look X strike. remember X strike? Here you do X strike with this magic user who starts with no spells, also she has a frog hood on. Remember Frog? Do you remember? You 'member frog?

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 20, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That type of marketing is a really bad move. Sure they will probably move some sales w/ the name drop, but a lot of people are going to be pissed off when the game disappoints.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

That type of marketing is a really bad move. Sure they will probably move some sales w/ the name drop, but a lot of people are going to be pissed off when the game disappoints.

And thats why we have Steam refunds.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

CT also had amazing music filled with all sorts of colors and moods. I can tell just from hearing the piano in the trailer that this is trying to do the same, but not reaching it.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Played about 2 hours of the game and I'm already bored. The setting and piano soundtrack seem soulless. Completely misses what made Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 fantastic. Thank god for steam refunds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, probably going to try to get a refund.

Maybe I should finally try Chrono Cross. Is it worth playing after all this time? I don't really mind that it doesn't have much to do with Trigger if it's good in its own right.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Chrono Cross, divorced from Chrono Trigger, is color vomit with an almost completely interchangeable cast (distinguished mostly by their accents) and a plot that completely disappears up its own rear end, which isn't helped by a mediocre translation. The battle system has a neat gimmick but it's not as immediately enjoyable or intuitive as the one in Trigger, and if it doesn't click with you there's really nothing else to fall back on. It's a shining example of all of Square's worst impulses at the time.

The music's great, though.

I'm also positive someone's going to disagree with me, because there's a sizable group who think it's one of the best RPGs on the Playstation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Chrono Cross has some problems aside from being too much of a sequel to Trigger. Good news! It's primarily backstory. Bad News: you won't understand what the heck is actually going on without that backstory and Balthazar is gonna dump it on you anyway.

Aside from that it's primary problems are:
The cast is too large to be meaningful, with many of their distinguishing character traits being superficial (appearance and accents.) Only about a quarter of the cast actually has any character development.
The battle system is pretty neat if simplistic. Battle's can tend to drag on though and some things are opaque enough where some bosses will pound your butt in (one of the most famous and awesome bosses of the game is either insanely difficult or managably cake-walky depending on how you use a core mechanic of the system.)
There's some parts of it that are egregiously padded.
There is one section of the game that I cannot forgive it for. The Dwarves go on a genocidal rampage to take over Faerie Island because the Master of their swamp died. They do so while lambasting Humans about environmental damage. You genocide their butts in protection of the Faeries, and you're asked to leave and not come back by said Faeries because Humans Are Bad And Should Be Kinder To The Environment. Bonus: You saved the Faeries from a confirmed extinction. Bonus Bingo: The Swamp is perfectly fine and remains perfectly fine for the rest of the game.

Oh yeah that last section is mandatory.

Other than that Chrono Cross is a decent game in it's own right, but to anyone who says it's one of the best RPG's on the Playstation, I say "gently caress Dwarves, gently caress Faeries."

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 20, 2016

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe I should finally try Chrono Cross. Is it worth playing after all this time? I don't really mind that it doesn't have much to do with Trigger if it's good in its own right.

The best thing going for Cross is it's phenomenal Mitsuda soundtrack. Seriously, it's loving awesome. It has a colorful tropical setting which was fairly cool and unique. The difficulty level is good - there's no grinding that I can remember, and the only real "gently caress you" moment is an optional superboss. The graphics and art are up to Square's usual (high) standards.

The story is fairly bland and forgettable when it's not a totally incoherent mess. There's like 40 playable characters, but outside of the "core" 5 or so, there's hardly any development. There are some characters where "Hmm, I can tell you're on an important quest. I'll come with you!" is literally all the development they get. About 1/3 of the plot is delivered in continuity punches at the end of the game. The hooks into the CT world are very forced, and it's obvious they were added late in development.

There's also the usual PS1 jank and long load times, though I guess that's not much of an issue anymore (thank god for emulator fast-forward).

sethsez posted:

I'm also positive someone's going to disagree with me, because there's a sizable group who think it's one of the best RPGs on the Playstation.

It is, but mainly because all of its major problems were endemic in JRPGs of that era.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, if you divorce chrono cross entirely from CT, it's not a fantastic game but it's not overtly obnoxious. the only Trigger character who has an influence for more than an hour of the game is Balthazar, who you will hate. beyond that it's just Lucca Ashtear showing up at the 11th hour to carpet bomb you with the plot bits that Balthazar didn't want to tell you. the final boss has a link to Trigger too i guess but it fits in so awkwardly a shoehorn wasn't enough leverage so they just got a machete.

but the balance is decent, the battles are generally fun, the art and music are incredible, and if you take the main character's silence as an opportunity to seriously dub yourself over some of the dumb motherfuckers you talk to, the world can be pretty fun, even while the story itself is kinda clownshoes.

the accents in the game are colossally retarded and in the secret developer room in the game they reveal that they're actually loving procedurally generated to save on script space. yes, it was some poor bastard's job to take perfectly readable english and turn it into everything from the most hackneyed french stereotype you can imagine to a pokemon reject's slurping lisp, by running it through a computer function. fortunately, as others have said, most of these idiots only get as much screen time as you allow them to have.

truthfully i would probably just watch a no-commentary let's play for the first hour or so if you can find one, to give you an idea of what you're in for, and then make an educated decision on whether or not it looks like something you want to play.

e: i should clarify that my earlier comment about cross making nobody want to touch CT again relates entirely to how hastily and poorly the CT elements were incorporated into cross, not to say that cross itself is an irredeemable dumpster fire. even if you thought the wisemen in CT were cool, you absolutely will loathe Balthazar by the end of CC, and the only other major appearance being Lucca as the cheapest plot device in history...it just transmitted really hard that nobody at square had any idea what to do with the IP any more, and trying to restore confidence after that showing would be prohibitively hard. you're really better off just making a spiritual sequel where you don't feel so boxed in.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 20, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
This game is odd as hell, and kinda fun. I like the story so far, I like mangling my enemies in convoluted ways with duotechs to get as many of their drops as possible.

forget the weird comparisons, it's like chrono trigger in that you run into enemies and fight them on the screen you encounter them, that spacing matters in combat but you haver very limited control of it, and duo techs exist, but their execution is wildly different.

Sorta picked up for me when I realized that there was lots of ways I could trick out my party with skills, then the accessories I equipped would pass on their traits to those skills all farmed by setting crabs on fire, or killing them after being poisoned or whatever.

Story seems a lot like FFX

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 20, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Too bad this game doesn't seem to be living up to the Chrono Trigger hype.

Anyone else played Radiant Historia? That game felt like it could have been a genuine sequel to Chrono Trigger.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Too bad this game doesn't seem to be living up to the Chrono Trigger hype.

Anyone else played Radiant Historia? That game felt like it could have been a genuine sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Radiant Historia owned. Too bad it's hard to find a copy now. I would jump a enhanced port on the 3ds

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I am enjoying the game even if it is by the numbers. It's pretty easy though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
To people who've played both, would you pick Trails in the Sky or Setsuna? I've got both on my wish list and plan to play both eventually.

I know Trails is like 3x longer than Setsuna, which is sort of a mark against it for me, but I still want to grab it. It's also $9.99 right now so I'm leaning toward it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

To people who've played both, would you pick Trails in the Sky or Setsuna? I've got both on my wish list and plan to play both eventually.

I know Trails is like 3x longer than Setsuna, which is sort of a mark against it for me, but I still want to grab it. It's also $9.99 right now so I'm leaning toward it.

Trails. Trails is infinitely better in every way except maybe combat speed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Keep in mind that Trails is really slow paced in story and game speed. For the former, it's because the game is broken up into 2 parts, so FC is essentially the prologue. Though I think someone made a speed hack to deal with the latter. I liked the games, but they really don't click well with some people.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Setsuna is if you played every other jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Keep in mind that Trails is really slow paced in story and game speed. For the former, it's because the game is broken up into 2 parts, so FC is essentially the prologue. Though I think someone made a speed hack to deal with the latter. I liked the games, but they really don't click well with some people.

if you've got a handy link to the speed hack i'd be appreciative - I tried to play Trails a year or so back and just couldn't because combat took forever to resolve.

• Locked thread