Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone have a collection of good desktop wallpapers? This is the only one I have.

I got my desktop wallpaper by downloading the official BotW press kit from Nintendo and using some of those images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nintendo has been telling Aonuma to make a new IP.

The Aonuma quote from the EDGE interview:

quote:

“Actually, Nintendo has been telling me to create a new IP. But then, they’re also telling me to make more Zelda games. I can’t really share much; I’m not sure I’m allowed to say anything. But I really like the idea of a game where I can live as a thief. That’s all I’ll say.”

I wonder if anything will come from this, since they are also telling him to make more Zelda.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nintendo has been telling Aonuma to make a new IP.

I wonder if anything will come from this, since they are also telling him to make more Zelda.

New Tingle game confirmed

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Electric Phantasm posted:

...thief...

Sequel to LA from the timeline where Link stole from the store.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm interested in seeing what he could come up with.

Marvelous is really good and you all should check it out with the fan translation.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've never had any experience with amiibos before and I can't find the answer to this, but I'm wondering whether to bother with the wolf one as if anything might make me get one it's this, and it would be a nice incentive to play through TP (as if I didn't have enough in my queue as it is).

What I'm wondering is if, after the wolf dies in Breath of the Wild, will you be able to bring him back again? Or is it a one-off deal?

Also, I take it the functionality will also be there in the NX version?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You'll be able to revive the wolf somehow.

It's not confirmed since we don't know anything about NX yet but there's no way it won't have amiibo support with how successful they've been.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wolf Link is on a 1-day cooldown.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
That's what I thought - seemed a bit silly otherwise. I assume there'll be a recharge period, or you'll have to go out of your way to do it, so there's at least some sort of penalty to him dying. And yeah, makes sense that it would be on the NX too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'll be able to revive the wolf somehow.

It's not confirmed since we don't know anything about NX yet but there's no way it won't have amiibo support with how successful they've been.

There was no way in hell the NX wasn't going to have amiibo support. Especially when the only interaction it needs is an NFC receiver.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'd play an open world stealth game with Ninty polish, especially if it continues in the direction that BotW seems to be heading. Aonuma mentioned he was inspired to shake up series foundation by new designers who questioned why Zelda traditions were the way they are, should hit them up with the Splatoon guys to push a new generation of heads at Nintendo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sharrrk posted:

its really weird seeing ragdolling in a nintendo game

Is it? I didn't think anything of it until everyone started pointing it out. What's so weird?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I got mod approval to post about this, so here it is.

Does anyone know much about the Alttp randomizer? It's a romhack of a link to the past where they randomize chest contents.

https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer

Differences from the normal game

from their page posted:

There are a number of differences from a randomized game to the normal game. Here's a short list:

The game text is in Japanese (this obviously isn't different if you are used to playing in Japanese. See below for why.)
Chest items and items given to you by the bottle vendor, Sahasrahla, the flute boy, the sick kid, the purple chest, the hobo under the bridge, the catfish, King Zora, and the old mountain man are randomized. Note that this doesn't include chests in the various chest games throughout Hyrule.
The rupee maximum is now 9999.
You can't turn the tree kid to wood. This is to prevent being unable to get his item.
Escaping the castle at the beginning of the game no longer requires the lamp.
In the light world, you don't need the Lamp to see in the dark.
In the dark world, the crystals will display on your inventory screen even if you haven't defeated Agahnim.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Is it? I didn't think anything of it until everyone started pointing it out. What's so weird?

Nintendo has never included any physics engine in their games until now

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

frodnonnag posted:

I got mod approval to post about this, so here it is.

Does anyone know much about the Alttp randomizer? It's a romhack of a link to the past where they randomize chest contents.

https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer

Differences from the normal game

Wait, so what if the hookshot appears in a dungeon you need the hookshot to access? I'm new to this randomizer stuff so I'm not sure what kind of expectation I'm supposed to have with regards to resultant games being possible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nintendo has never included any physics engine in their games until now

They have nice water.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Trent posted:

They have nice water.

Water so nice I documented every Wii U game with water on Miiverse.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Wait, so what if the hookshot appears in a dungeon you need the hookshot to access? I'm new to this randomizer stuff so I'm not sure what kind of expectation I'm supposed to have with regards to resultant games being possible.

i think they made certain exceptions to the randomizer to prevent stuff like this

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure you will need to know speedrunning tactics and general movement glitches to pass spots like that. The randomizer was made by and for speedrunners after all.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

romanowski posted:

i think they made certain exceptions to the randomizer to prevent stuff like this

There's a randomiser for the original Zelda NES as well, and the documentation specifically states that checks are built in to keep the game from being unwinnable. I played around with it but haven't done a full run, so I can't verify much. I recall the blue ring being for sale in the first shop in the game that's one up and one left from the start screen.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Since I heard about the Wolf Link amiibo interaction for BotW, I decided to finally play through TPHD (didn't get around to it previously; I was probably distracted playing Hyrule Warriors or something). Man, I forgot how great this game was. Yeah, the beginning drags a bit, and it has some other flaws (linearity, lack of item usage outside of the dungeons, etc), but it's got such a great atmosphere, and one of the best companion characters in any of the Zelda games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally got around to playing SS. I just finished the first dungeon.

Controls + Fi make this the worst Zelda.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

it really is but i swear there's a good game buried in there between getting the sword and like the fourth or fifth dungeon

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the sword beams in skyward sword were very satisfying to use, especially as your sword got stronger

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The bosses were the best part of SS. The only time I ever felt awesome using motion controls was against Koloktos and Demise.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Waltzing Along posted:

I will never understand how people had trouble with the SS controls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Welcome to me every time someone mentions having trouble with Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

I guess we're just lucky, which is unfortunate since that means other people aren't lucky enough to be able to experience the cool and fun games :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It turns out that like 9 out of 10 times the problems with motion controls are fixed by telling people to stop pre-swinging the sword in the wrong direction, and just use clear short movements in the direction you want to swing, instead.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

It turns out that like 9 out of 10 times the problems with motion controls are fixed by telling people to stop pre-swinging the sword in the wrong direction, and just use clear short movements in the direction you want to swing, instead.

I still have problems with stabbing, though, which (I assume) doesn't suffer from the pre-swing problem quite as much.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

*Link constantly holds his sword the same way the player holds the remote*
Player: I guess I should swing my sword the way he would, too.
Skyward Sword fans: ACTUALLY, you idiot. you loving moron

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, I think the previous parts were linked here?

This guy on youtube is doing a dungeon design analysis for all Zelda games (starting with LttP), and it's quite interesting because he goes into actual design decisions the developers made or could've made.

Here's the latest, his OoT video that was uploaded a day ago. His conclusion? The Water Temple is the only good dungeon in OoT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO8Z1DkDqc&list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well to be fair, the Water Temple went from being one of my most hated dungeons in the series to maybe not my favorite but pretty high up there once I played the 3DS release. It's the only dungeon in Ocarina which requires you to have critical thinking about how full or drained the water is as you collect items and progress in the dungeon. A lot of Ocarina's other puzzles just kind of spell things out for you or have really obvious solutions nearby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never liked Koloktos because his fight is so incredibly repetitive. You do a thing five times and he dies, but wait no he got up again, do the exact same thing 7 more times with no variation.

If you're going to have a boss have two distinct phases, you have to make the second phase actually different.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

You know, if the issue was that people initially did it wrong because of this, but figured it out on their own after like <10 minutes, you'd have a point, but there are people who finished the game and still complain that they couldn't get the controls to work correctly. Are you one of them?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well to be fair, the Water Temple went from being one of my most hated dungeons in the series to maybe not my favorite but pretty high up there once I played the 3DS release. It's the only dungeon in Ocarina which requires you to have critical thinking about how full or drained the water is as you collect items and progress in the dungeon. A lot of Ocarina's other puzzles just kind of spell things out for you or have really obvious solutions nearby.

The OoT water temple issue originally was some key that was in an obtuse place which required a type of exploration for a thing hidden by a camera trick that nothing before or after it ever required. If you missed it, which was highly likely, you had to do a good portion of the dungeon over again, draining and raising the water level multiple times, and you still might miss it and have to do it again. It was a minor design choice that turned into a lengthy process for the average player.

Personally, I always got lost in the forest temple somehow. :blush:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, I think the previous parts were linked here?

This guy on youtube is doing a dungeon design analysis for all Zelda games (starting with LttP), and it's quite interesting because he goes into actual design decisions the developers made or could've made.

Here's the latest, his OoT video that was uploaded a day ago. His conclusion? The Water Temple is the only good dungeon in OoT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO8Z1DkDqc&list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

My response to his conclusion is broadly: "But what if linearity is good?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah Goron mines is one of my favorite dungeons and it's linear as gently caress

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I agree, but if people consider linearity to be a good thing, why are they so hyped about this open-world game?

Trent posted:

Personally, I always got lost in the forest temple somehow. :blush:
On my first playthrough, the forest temple freaked me out with the creepy music and wallmasters. After that, the Bottom of the Well freaked me out because of the invisible stuff. After that, the Shadow Temple was a bit of a let-down on the creepiness scale.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Supercar Gautier posted:

*Prompt onscreen asks the player to do a simple horizontal swing of the remote.

Player: *wildly and relentlessly flails the remote in all directions while angrily screaming "WAGGLE!!!"*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Carbon dioxide posted:

I agree, but if people consider linearity to be a good thing, why are they so hyped about this open-world game?

Both are good