Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Now available on Steam.

The same company also produced Rumbling Hearts, an anime about a guy loving his comatose girlfriends best friend because she's been in coma for like 2 years and they have to pretend they aren't loving while everyone knows they are.

"Friendship and faith, love and betrayal… And guilt. Rumbling Hearts weaves a tale not of superheroes or science fiction, but of the silent sufferings of any potential passerby. This is real life. Happy endings are bittersweet at best."

I'm pretty sure most people in real life don't find themselves facing down the guilt of loving their comatose girlfriend's best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it refers to adultery.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I just had a thought: Ymir and Historia sort of remind me of those two chicks from that Tamen de Gushi webcomic

this is a drat good webcomic that I read entirely thanks to this post, so thanks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tamen de gushi is indeed very good, yes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Who loves early spoilers! I know I do

Not even Levi's bromance rage could save Erwin, and so in the end it's Armin that gets to live thanks to the serum+chewing on Bert.

I still think it's absolutely stupid that Armin survived but what can ya do.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Who loves early spoilers! I know I do

Not even Levi's bromance rage could save Erwin, and so in the end it's Armin that gets to live thanks to the serum+chewing on Bert.

I still think it's absolutely stupid that Armin survived but what can ya do.

I don't totally mind Armin living after sacrificing himself for Eren, cause it's a nice throwback to the first chapters when we thought Eren was dead. Also Erwin's death for humanity was a fitting end to his character's arc. Armin's was a little gay.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sub Harrison posted:

I don't totally mind Armin living after sacrificing himself for Eren, cause it's a nice throwback to the first chapters when we thought Eren was dead. Also Erwin's death for humanity was a fitting end to his character's arc. Armin's was a little gay.

It's dumb because there isn't any reason at all why he should be alive. Even when considering in-universe rules, he was totally cooked and dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

It's dumb because there isn't any reason at all why he should be alive. Even when considering in-universe rules, he was totally cooked and dead.

I'm not sure how fast being burnt all over kills you. I know that you definitely die from it, of course, but I don't know if it's the sort of thing that would cause you to die in just a few minutes (which is the amount of time between Armin getting cooked and the present). Maybe it's possible he could still technically be alive, even if he's totally immobile and in the process of dying.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure how fast being burnt all over kills you. I know that you definitely die from it, of course, but I don't know if it's the sort of thing that would cause you to die in just a few minutes (which is the amount of time between Armin getting cooked and the present). Maybe it's possible he could still technically be alive, even if he's totally immobile and in the process of dying.

The problem is that he wasn't just superficially burnt all over, he was completely roasted in superheated steam inside and out, stripping all of his skin off. If his organs weren't boiled in their own fluids, his lungs would have been completely scorched and he would suffocate in seconds.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't give a drat about the logistics of it, it's a self-sacrifice in a series where characters are supposed to loving die when they are killed. Not only does this eat up a lot of the impact of the characters sacrifices, it's just lame as poo poo. This is also not to bring up there being another Titan shifter into a story where we already don't have a lot of answers about the ones who aren't immediately involved with Eren or his family. To top of it off with last chapter's nonsense of Reiner not being captured AGAIN and it makes these last two chapters some of the worst in the series.

For a series that has garnered a reputation of having no characters of actual significance die this is not something it needed to be doing.

brotato
May 14, 2013
Honestly armins death was cool and he had a heartfelt sendoff, bringing him back just shits all over that. I mean I knew it was gonna happen like this but it still blows.

RIP Eyebrows you were too good for this series

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Does everyone gain the memories of a shifter upon consumption, or was that something special for the Reiss titan's memory powers? I really want to see the basement next chapter, but I fear it'll be Armin having a flashback of Bert Rein and Annie's past.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
gently caress this gay earth. Armin's survival is so dramatically unsatisfying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if, in the editor meeting(s) for this chapter, the decision to have Armin survive was just completely cynical due to his character popularity or if Isayama and/or the editor genuinely thought this was a good idea.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sub Harrison posted:

Does everyone gain the memories of a shifter upon consumption, or was that something special for the Reiss titan's memory powers? I really want to see the basement next chapter, but I fear it'll be Armin having a flashback of Bert Rein and Annie's past.

Honestly, as much as I want to see the basement, I wouldn't mind this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if, in the editor meeting(s) for this chapter, the decision to have Armin survive was just completely cynical due to his character popularity or if Isayama and/or the editor genuinely thought this was a good idea.

What popularity? Isn't he disproportionately low in popularity polls or something silly like that?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is armins titan form the really short one with the big head from the fake chapter preview because that would redeem the whole thing imo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TWIST FIST posted:

is armins titan form the really short one with the big head from the fake chapter preview because that would redeem the whole thing imo

He'll get the Colossal titan power, though it'll probably look a bit different.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

RatHat posted:

He'll get the Colossal titan power, though it'll probably look a bit different.

this is criminal

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TWIST FIST posted:

this is criminal

Maybe it means his head will be colossal and nothing else.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Armin will definitely get the steam ability, but I'm not sure if Bert's size is part of the package. I think this because Reiss turned into a huge colossal titan with Historia's serum, but there's no way he meant for Historia to grow 100 m tall and collapse the cave (Reiss also mentioned there was a reason he couldn't become a titan. Maybe there's a way to tell your titan physique?). I think your body's size is dependent on the human, kinda like how Ymir's titan remained the same after eating BRA's friend.

And I don't think it's because he licked it instead of injected it since Zeke uses essentially magic to turn humans into titans.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 6, 2016

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well I'm going to just write this series off then.

Fun while it lasted.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sub Harrison posted:

Armin will definitely get the steam ability, but I'm not sure if Bert's size is part of the package. I think this because Reiss turned into a huge colossal titan with Historia's serum, but there's no way he meant for Historia to grow 100 m tall and collapse the cave (Reiss also mentioned there was a reason he couldn't become a titan. Maybe there's a way to tell your titan physique?). I think your body's size is dependent on the human, kinda like how Ymir's titan remained the same after eating BRA's friend.

And I don't think it's because he licked it instead of injected it since Zeke uses essentially magic to turn humans into titans.

IIRC, Reiss picked out Historia's serum because he believed it was the serum for the "strongest" titan, and he didn't understand what this meant.
So while he didn't intend for Historia to grow 100 m tall and collapse the cavern, that is what would have happened. Ironically, this would have destroyed Eren before he could have been eaten.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sub Harrison posted:

If size was dependent on the person wouldn't there be "wild" titans taller than 20m?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TWIST FIST posted:

it kind of is except with gumby arms

also

Captain Invictus posted:

Chapter bad

Bad chapter

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not going to drop SnK yet but it is going to take some really, really good writing to make me care about it again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's an early translation.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about, that was fine?

Are you just so against the concept of character revival at all that you preemptively call it bad? Because it was done pretty well here. Not gonna agree with Levis decision at the end and the reasoning the author gave for him but still overall done pretty well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Levi and Hanji are really dumb.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

I'm not going to drop SnK yet but it is going to take some really, really good writing to make me care about it again.

This is about where I am.

It's kind of phenomenal how poorly this arc manages drama and tension, especiallygiven how good the previous arc was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Asuron posted:

Are you just so against the concept of character revival at all that you preemptively call it bad? Because it was done pretty well here. Not gonna agree with Levis decision at the end and the reasoning the author gave for him but still overall done pretty well.
Their reactions and struggling was pretty well done in context, however that context being a choice between death's door eviscerated erwin and a hot'n'tasty armin was dumb to begin with

Like I could buy armin surviving the steam if he hadn't been portrayed as a flash-fried jerky person which in an even remotely realistic situation would have instantly killed him from the shock if not boiled the skin of his lungs and throat and made him unable to breathe, like it's so badly portrayed that even saying ~but anime~ doesn't stop it from being super ridiculous he didn't die instantly, especially given he had a perfect sendoff at that point

Erwin surviving to that point just barely was way more reasonable

It was just really poorly handled and that's what most people hate, not that anyone survived at all

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asuron posted:

I hesitate to say that I'm against character revival at all (although I do think it's a difficult thing to do well), but bringing back a character that should by all rights be dead is somewhat toothless. This is a bigger problem in AoT than in some other series, because outside of the mystery element, AoT's biggest strength is it's teethness.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Asuron posted:

In addition to what others have said, every time Armin is onscreen (onpanel?) from now, I'm going to think that nothing he ever does will be as great as his sacrifice. From here, he can only go down.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Truth be told, I don't really care about this revival business.

I'm just waiting on the incredible disappointment to come from the basement.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sarcophallus posted:

Because of how the series handled previous reveals, I'm willing to believe that the basement reveal will be satisfying. Having said that, AoT probably won't be able to hold my attention much longer if it doesn't.

Or, if not satisfying, I at least trust that it will be interesting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Asuron posted:

They just chose a boring lovely character to revive. :shrug:

Sarcophallus posted:

I'm hoping it's something so stupid it loops back around to being hilarious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If the basement winds up being some shaggy dog nonsense I'm dropping it and never looking back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The basement contains a serum that will bring back all the people who ever died! Yay!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Bert's dead and we lost Erwin as well. Those are pretty big deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Bert's dead and we lost Erwin as well. Those are pretty big deaths.
But the way it went down just made it so flaccid