Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Drunk Badger posted:

Yeah, not enough travel to need expensive IEMs. Any nice cheap ones?

Philips SHE3590. Cheap, available everywhere and they sound surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

i bought the hifiman re-400i without doing a tonne of research. the quality of the remote is garbo and is already non-functioning (which i now know is widely reported), and the L shape plug really annoying. they sound pretty good

edit: also i've been trying out the larger tips and whenever i take them out i keep feeling shame about how disgusting my stupid earholes are

beeman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 20, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Drunk Badger posted:

Yeah, not enough travel to need expensive IEMs. Any nice cheap ones?

KZ ATE are amazing: https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Earphone-Headphones-Running-Microphone/dp/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468976454&sr=8-1&keywords=kz+ate

but ditch the lovely foam eartips they give you, get some comply if you like that sort of thing. $14 and the best i've listened to under around $80 if you like the over the ear style. Cons are they're fairly big, and I find they're pretty assertive from 60 to 150hz or so. The response is fast though, so it's not bad bass at all and it doesn't muddy up the mids, there's just a lot of it.

I got a pair of Brainwavz S0 recently that are pretty great, decently flat and remarkably well built. A good deal for the $18 I spent on Prime Day, but I dunno about the $44 they normally ask for them.

I've heard great things about the Rock Zircons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ISVZ7O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1WRDNWO5ZTILH but haven't checked 'em out yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm I really like these KZ's I just ordered a pair to try them out.

I've been using the SountPEATs Over ear BT headphones and I've been pretty happy with how well they do at the gym.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132YHU0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the ATE are no good for running or gym stuff, unfortunately. They have a clever thing where there are weights on the cables instead of a memory wire which I find very comfortable, but the downside is that they bounce loudly on your neck while you jog.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the ATE are no good for running or gym stuff, unfortunately. They have a clever thing where there are weights on the cables instead of a memory wire which I find very comfortable, but the downside is that they bounce loudly on your neck while you jog.

Lol but they specifically say they are for running ha!

quote:

KZ ATE Copper Driver Ear Hook HiFi in Ear Earphone Sport Headphones for Running with Foam Eartips with Microphone

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

Lol but they specifically say they are for running ha!

sure, they also "have a better sound quality of people" and "Feel comfortable wearing with the ergonomics designed headphone"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I recently upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for an S7 edge. While I'm satisfied with the phone, I was surprised to see that the headphones (with mic) that come with it are just terrible. Compared with the ones in the Note 3, they offer a terrible sound quality.

I regularly review albums for a music magazine, so quality is fairly important for me, in this case coupled with the microphone, which I normally use to take and make calls while biking.

At home I do my listening with a nice big pair of Sennheiser headphones, but I don't want to carry that type of bulky hardware with me, especially considering it's just for my work commute. A Google search hasn't rendered very good results in regards to good quality wired "headsets"... Do any of you have some good suggestions?

I don't want to go above 50 bucks since, as I said, I have good quality stuff at home. I don't need any special bells and whistles, just a pair that will allow me to make calls without music sounding like a 96kbps mp3 encoded in the Napster era. Of course, if you think that this is just too low, I'm happy to know what you suggest.

Thanks for your help!

Edit. Just in case... I'm talking in-ear headphones.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone here use IEMs as their primary computer gaming headphones? On the fence to either get a good set of IEMs, or get a closed ear headphone for home, and a cheap IEM for my laptop / phone when I'm on the road.

I just have a pair of ATH M40X headphones from Audio Technica and and a hard headphone case. They go everywhere and I haven't had problems with them. I sat on my last pair in a weird way and it broke the plastic holding the can to my ear, but that was after over a year of abuse.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
I'm looking for suggestions for a new pair of headphones to use on my PC. I'm currently using a pair of Audio Technica AD900s with a Fiio E10 DAC. I'm pretty happy with the headset in general, but the driver touches my ears and causes a lot of pain after wearing for a couple of hours. I don't particularly have a budget in mind, but my application is like 80% games, 20% music so I wasn't sure if I would really get the value out of something extravagant like the HD 800s. I'm open to suggestions for any type open/closed/IEM.

A friend has the Sony MDR-1A headphones and they sound pretty good but I'm not sure how they stack up to the competition.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinions about the new Bose QuietComfort 35?

They're attractive to me due to the wireless active noise cancellation but I haven't had a chance to compare them yet.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless.html

Initial reviews seem to be positive.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What is a good pair of bluetooth earbuds that are actually sweatproof? When I run sweat pours out of my head like its raining. This has destroyed multiple BT earbuds. Anyone know a good pair that can survive getting wet?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I've been hitting the gym recently and am thinking of getting a pair of wireless IEMs to use instead of the wired IEMs I use currently, they're Sennheiser momentum IEMs which I otherwise heartily recommend for use when out and about, but I find I keep pulling them out my ear if the wire isn't slack enough or there's too much slack that it gets in the way so I want a wireless pair of IEMs that at first would be exclusively for this purpose.
Features wise, I've seen some where the speakers have magnets that let them stick together when not in use or presumably so you can have one in and not have the other dangling around but that is very much a "would be nice" rather than something I'm set on having.
Though I'm not sure what difference it makes if there's a normal wire or a hard headband but I did have a Bluetooth set of bone conductive headphones but they broke so I'm inclined to go with a soft wire this time.
Price wise despite not looking at them to be used all the time I'm not adverse to spending in the region of £100 if the quality is worth it.

Edit: I'm using an iPhone 6 for my music.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 25, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Non Serviam posted:

I don't want to go above 50 bucks since, as I said, I have good quality stuff at home. I don't need any special bells and whistles, just a pair that will allow me to make calls without music sounding like a 96kbps mp3 encoded in the Napster era. Of course, if you think that this is just too low, I'm happy to know what you suggest.

Thanks for your help!

Edit. Just in case... I'm talking in-ear headphones.

There are plenty of amazing chinese IEMs that punch way above their weight, but it's also a very crowded market and there's a ton of garbage. I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ISVZ7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very light, the cables can be worn down or up, and they're reasonably sturdy. My current favorite "throw in the back pocket, take everywhere and don't worry about it" set. They're extremely "fun" sounding, i.e. a V shaped profile that's very bad for reference / mixing, very good for rocking out. Unlike most sets in this price range, they actually sound great. The mids aren't too recessed, low, focused, non-farty bass response, decently present treble without a ton of sibilance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similarly "Fun" sounding, cables worn up only, rather large but I find them comfortable. Mids are less recessed, I would call these more honest than the Rock pair, but not by much. The little mic doohickey is less robust than the first pair, but other than that they're absurdly well built for a 14 buck pair of headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Is...XN169M9HDZM8YAB

Complete opposite sound signature as the above two, these are very flat for cheap IEMs. They actually sound reasonably close to my beat up old pair of 7506s, so I find them a somewhat useful mix tool for on-the-go video editing and whatnot when I don't want to lug a set of cans. Very sturdy, flat cables that don't tangle much and the only remote I've ever found that will do volume control on both android and iphone. At least on the Nexus 6 and LG G4. I think they claim you can wear the cables up on these, but I find that ultra annoying due to the flat cables. These also come with a very nice case and a very nice assortment of tips, including Comply foam.

If you want a step up from these, you pretty much have to jump into the $100+ category with something like the Shure SE215 or VSonic GR07.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 25, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similarly "Fun" sounding, cables worn up only, rather large but I find them comfortable. Mids are less recessed, I would call these more honest than the Rock pair, but not by much. The little mic doohickey is less robust than the first pair, but other than that they're absurdly well built for a 14 buck pair of headphones.

These came on Friday and I had a chance to use them over the weekend and I have to say that I really really like them. They are very comfortable and sound great. I actually really like the way the cables run over the ear is it helps keep the earbuds in place. For 14 bucks you can't go wrong.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Okay, so I looked around and I found the name of the best headphones I ever had: Sony MDR-V900 (not HD)

They were in a word, magical. I was never without these headphones, and I would sit with my eyes closed and focus on each layer, each separate instrument. Because I could. Is there anything comparable to these? For headphones of these quality I would pay $500 without question.

Even though the originals were free :(

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MarcusSA posted:

These came on Friday and I had a chance to use them over the weekend and I have to say that I really really like them. They are very comfortable and sound great. I actually really like the way the cables run over the ear is it helps keep the earbuds in place. For 14 bucks you can't go wrong.

I'm tempted to get these. I found them on the European amazon, I think. Are these yours? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CU4PRTW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469504518&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=KZ+ATE+Copper

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes those are the same ones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

treiz01 posted:

Okay, so I looked around and I found the name of the best headphones I ever had: Sony MDR-V900 (not HD)

They were in a word, magical. I was never without these headphones, and I would sit with my eyes closed and focus on each layer, each separate instrument. Because I could. Is there anything comparable to these? For headphones of these quality I would pay $500 without question.

The Oppo PM3 are closed, circumaural, easy to drive and will sound WAY, WAY, WAY better than your V900s ever did.

Although, if I were primarily listening at home I would spend about the same money on a pair of HD600's and a Schiit Magni instead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Or rather, if you haven't owned a nice pair of headphones in a long while, dip your toes in the water and grab some Superlux 668B's because they cost 38 american dollars and are loving fantastic. I enjoy mine about as much as I do any of the other headphones I own regardless of price.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goons, help, how do I keep destroying my earbuds? I haven't done anything with these earbuds I bought a week ago for $20 but take walks and store them in my front pocket and the right earpiece is already nearly dead - determined jiggling and playing with the wire will get sound out of it for a minute if I'm lucky, but that's it. This keeps happening with in-ear headphones and me. :(

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Don't put them in your pocket without a pouch of some kind.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Goons, help, how do I keep destroying my earbuds? I haven't done anything with these earbuds I bought a week ago for $20 but take walks and store them in my front pocket and the right earpiece is already nearly dead - determined jiggling and playing with the wire will get sound out of it for a minute if I'm lucky, but that's it. This keeps happening with in-ear headphones and me. :(

Then stop doing this.

VVV Edit: Unlikely and a bit of a cop-out.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 26, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I think the fact that they cost twenty bucks is a bigger indicator of why they broke, personally.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Oppo PM3 are closed, circumaural, easy to drive and will sound WAY, WAY, WAY better than your V900s ever did.

Although, if I were primarily listening at home I would spend about the same money on a pair of HD600's and a Schiit Magni instead.

Any reason for these ones in particular? They look pretty fabulous, but are they nearly $600 CAD fabulous?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

treiz01 posted:

Any reason for these ones in particular? They look pretty fabulous, but are they nearly $600 CAD fabulous?

The Oppo because, like your long lost V600's, they're closed cans and therefore you can take them anywhere without disturbing those around you. They're also easy to drive with sources like phones and laptops, so you don't need an amp.

The HD600 (with a decent amp) because they're pretty much the de facto pinnacle of where most people should stop loving with a home headphone rig. If you have HD600 and a decent amp, you're just not likely to get much better headphones without starting to veer into the Audeze / Denon / Ultrasone territory and that way lies diminishing returns and an empty wallet. They're open backed, so not really portable unless you bring an amp with you and enjoy angering people standing next to you.

You don't have to spend that much money if you don't want though. The Superlux I mentioned are fantastic, the Philips SHP9500 are fantastic, honestly the good old MDR7506 are fantastic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

rath posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new pair of headphones to use on my PC. I'm currently using a pair of Audio Technica AD900s with a Fiio E10 DAC. I'm pretty happy with the headset in general, but the driver touches my ears and causes a lot of pain after wearing for a couple of hours.

you don't need new headphones, you need new pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velou...j-s1zoC6CpVjGwA

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Oppo because, like your long lost V600's, they're closed cans and therefore you can take them anywhere without disturbing those around you. They're also easy to drive with sources like phones and laptops, so you don't need an amp.

The HD600 (with a decent amp) because they're pretty much the de facto pinnacle of where most people should stop loving with a home headphone rig. If you have HD600 and a decent amp, you're just not likely to get much better headphones without starting to veer into the Audeze / Denon / Ultrasone territory and that way lies diminishing returns and an empty wallet. They're open backed, so not really portable unless you bring an amp with you and enjoy angering people standing next to you.

You don't have to spend that much money if you don't want though. The Superlux I mentioned are fantastic, the Philips SHP9500 are fantastic, honestly the good old MDR7506 are fantastic.

Thanks for the breakdown! I appreciate it.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you don't need new headphones, you need new pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velou...j-s1zoC6CpVjGwA

Thanks I'll give these a try first then. I had already tried opening them up more but that didn't help. I saw a few people talking about a "phat pad" mod but the details were in a pdf that apparently doesn't exist on the Internet anymore.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone please recommend some Bluetooth IEMs. I'm so loving sick of headphones breaking every 12 months because the cord gets snagged or some poo poo.

I treat them well but do use them at the gym but whenever I buy Chinese headphones (Pistons, Hifiman etc.) They just break. I replaced my HiFiMan IEMs 3 times before they refused to send me another replacement becuase none made their 12 month warranty.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Quick headset question -

My Steelseries headphones died, and upon RMAing I was given $100 of steelseries store credit. Does anyone have an opinion on the Siberia 200 vs the 350? Would it be worth shelling out the additional $20 to grab the 350s? The 5' cord on both of them sounds infuriatingly frustrating, but I have to pick one of them. Doesn't seem worth it to buy anything else on their store with the credit and buy a different headset.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Is there something other than a headset you'd rather spend the money on?

Honestly, a set of Philips SHP-9500s and a Vmoda BoomPro will be a million times better than any of those things and still come in around a hundred bucks. You could redeem the credit and sell what you use it for, I guess?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is there something other than a headset you'd rather spend the money on?

Honestly, a set of Philips SHP-9500s and a Vmoda BoomPro will be a million times better than any of those things and still come in around a hundred bucks. You could redeem the credit and sell what you use it for, I guess?

They only sell headsets, mice/pads, keyboards, and gamepads. I don't need a 3rd party gamepad or a new mouse, keyboard would be a marginal upgrade, and I don't think I can manage to spend $100 on mousepads. I was really hoping they'd just replace the headset I had.

I guess I could cash in exactly the dollar value on a fancy keyboard and resell it if I didn't want to get a headset. I appreciate the recommendation on the other headphones. They look like a more than decent alternative.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
incidentally, the superlux 668bs also make extremely good gaming heaphones due to their crazy bonkers humongous soundstage. Only downsides are that you'd need a 3.5mm barrel connector and maybe some tape to be able to use a BoomPro or equivalent, the stock pads are horrible and they're somewhere between very and unbearably ugly to look at. All fixable issues except the last one.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

I've been hitting the gym recently and am thinking of getting a pair of wireless IEMs to use instead of the wired IEMs I use currently, they're Sennheiser momentum IEMs which I otherwise heartily recommend for use when out and about, but I find I keep pulling them out my ear if the wire isn't slack enough or there's too much slack that it gets in the way so I want a wireless pair of IEMs that at first would be exclusively for this purpose.
Features wise, I've seen some where the speakers have magnets that let them stick together when not in use or presumably so you can have one in and not have the other dangling around but that is very much a "would be nice" rather than something I'm set on having.
Though I'm not sure what difference it makes if there's a normal wire or a hard headband but I did have a Bluetooth set of bone conductive headphones but they broke so I'm inclined to go with a soft wire this time.
Price wise despite not looking at them to be used all the time I'm not adverse to spending in the region of £100 if the quality is worth it.

Edit: I'm using an iPhone 6 for my music.

Forgot some stuff from the OP:
What I'm listening to is in a playlist I made on YouTube, made it before I thought of getting new headphones but it might help. It's mostly punk/metal, a lot of electric guitars basically with some other stuff thrown in for good measure.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq6Q6tf2LStqfeo2PxuSKA2a-19FPwVD

Isolation: Don't need it, if anything it'd be better if it was fairly minimal, enough to keep out their terrible music while I listen to my terrible music but I want to be able to hear if someone is actually talking to me.

Tonal balance: I dunno, I really like the Sennheiser headphones and IEMs I have, both are Momentum models if that helps at all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How are the K7XX for gaming? I am currently driving a pair with an O2/ODAC. I'm pretty happy overall, but in some of those "3d audio" things I can't tell front-versus-back particularly well - which makes sense in terms of the physics of there not actually being a driver there, but if there's room to move up in terms of game precision then I'm listening.

I like them for music listening for sure, but I'm considering getting a second pair of nice headphones so I have one for work and one for gaming. If there's a better option for gaming I would not feel bad at all about using the K7XX at work for music.

I already use a mechanical keyboard at work and have not gotten any complaints so I think I'm OK in terms of isolation. I have a big head and I need very low clamping force and circumaural style for comfort, I find most headphones tight but again I like my K7XX. I have a Fiio X5ii, which has a decent headphone amp, so I'm OK with fairly demanding headphones in either setting. I don't know what kind of tonality I prefer overall, but the K7XX are head-and-shoulders above anything I've used so far and I'm perfectly OK with how they sound.

Budget is $100-200 - basically anything less than just buying another pair of K7XXs. But if there's a good reason I could be persuaded to spend modestly more, or if there's a super bargain spending less is good too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 30, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh, also, how are those really cheap planar magnetic headphones? I think they were Fostex, and they were like sub-$200 and you needed to replace the pads with some thinner ones, but I don't remember a model number. Is the O2 enough to feed them?

edit: pretty sure I mean the Fostex T50rp Mk3

Anime_Otaku posted:

Dumb question but are you OK with the headphones that hook behind your ear or with a band behind your head to keep them in place? I've never had any success keeping earbuds in while exercising.

They do make wireless behind-head bluetooth sets if you want, like the AmazonBasics set. I thought the "two-way" mode sounded pretty tinny (tried to use it for gaming) but the "one-way" (double the bandwidth) music mode was pretty OK. But overall wired will always sound better than wireless, because wireless has to recompress music to fit into a bluetooth channel.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 30, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm actually right now wearing some vintage, pre-MK2 T20RP's that I rescued from the trash at an old studio I used to work in. They were beat to gently caress, I had to rewire them, replace the jack and the pads and resolder everything, but they sound pretty fuckballs amazing. I've considered modding them as the frequency response isn't consistent between the two drivers, but I'm lazy and they sound pretty great as is. I completely get why people have started whole businesses selling modified versions of the Mk2.

They are also really loving hard to drive. My 13" retina MBP can just barely run them with everything maxed, but forget using them with a phone. I'm lucky enough to own an old Yamaha A100a which has a headphone stage that could electrocute an elephant, and I still have to run it hotter than any other cans I own (11 o'clock on the pot. lol.) No idea about the O2, but worth a shot?

I hear the T50RP mk3's are actually great stock except for the pads, but that's why god made Brainwavz. I have a pair that should show up tomorrow so I'll check back in and let you know how they sound.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

How are the K7XX for gaming? I am currently driving a pair with an O2/ODAC. I'm pretty happy overall, but in some of those "3d audio" things I can't tell front-versus-back particularly well - which makes sense in terms of the physics of there not actually being a driver there, but if there's room to move up in terms of game precision then I'm listening.

Good headphones with fast drivers and lots of treble are what you need for gaming. The el-cheapo answer is Superlux 668b, the more expensive answer is the Audio Technica AD series. Avoid gaming headsets, they are all garbage.

Incidentally, if someone tries to sell you a "7.1 surround headset with multiple drivers" etc etc just punch them in the face, it's marketing horseshit. The only way to get 3d audio is with an actual 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good headphones with fast drivers and lots of treble are what you need for gaming. The el-cheapo answer is Superlux 668b, the more expensive answer is the Audio Technica AD series. Avoid gaming headsets, they are all garbage.

Incidentally, if someone tries to sell you a "7.1 surround headset with multiple drivers" etc etc just punch them in the face, it's marketing horseshit. The only way to get 3d audio is with an actual 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, period.

Real binaural audio with well isolating headphones actually works. I have heard a demo tape that was actually the most convincing 3D audio I've ever heard, even better than Atmos or other good high end multi speaker setups.

But yeah, the "7.1" surround sound headphones are bullshit.