Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Check out the documentary/dramatization Touching the Void about an absolutely insane and horrific mountain climbing accident that actually has a good ending. You will not believe what happened to this person and how they survived it.

I watched one of those "How Did They Survive" style shows that do all the bad re-enactments that covered this story. Amazing stuff.

That reminds me, how good was Unsolved Mysteries when you were a kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unsolved Mysteries is still good. :colbert:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
wow i saw "only the dead see the end of war " war documentary and besides being very very violent iwasnt expecting decpations and seeing fuckin ISIS videos which ive tried to avoid nm y whole adult life but that was an AMAZING first hand look at the war I am very removed from and didnt realize how rough this war actually was for americans

I also started watching "into the hornets nest" and i cant say the same the situations are scary sand dangerous but the war correspondenets son is trying way too hard to be like his dad that he comes off as annoying? not genuine I suppose is the word?

I'm about to watch "taxi to the dark side" - I didnt know how interesting the iraq war documentaries were, does anyone have any other recommendations? preferrably without ISIS decapitations that stuff is not my jam

xcore posted:

Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs to Fly might tick the boxes you are after. It's the non-fiction version of the story from Herzog's Rescue Dawn

Also, I like to recommend this whenever I get the chance, and it's somewhat in that wheelhouse Witness: City Name on HBO was a cool documentary series that follows combat photographers on the journeys to different conflicts. It follows a different photgrapher each episode. From memory, the different locations/conflicts are:

Juarez/Cartel Wars
Rio and gangs/police corruption and the attempts to clean up before the World Cup/Olympics
Libya/Gadaffi
Sudan/Kony

thanks for the other recommendations ! going to check those out ASAP and if you can stomach the violence I heartily recommend "Only the dead" where a time magazine correspondent basically joins ISIS to get footage of attaacks on americans ... im very very surprised that he didnt get reprimanded for it but I'm sure there was some sort of backlash about his involvement in these attacks. Kind of hosed he knows of suicide bombings and just records them, but if you were surrounded by 20 ISIS guys with AK 47s you too would probably not be inclined to snitch on them

heavy stuff.

The part of the show that I enjoyed the most was seeing the americans sniper tower shooting warning shots at people getting way too close to them "SHOOT THAT MOTHERF*" and you can feel the tension. very cool to see both sides and probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 20, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cactus posted:

I've seen all the Charlie Brooker stuff so other than that are there any decent documentaries about videogames? I kind of grew up watching them turn from the geeky niche spectrum/amstrad/commodore 64 pixellated poo poo into the multi-genre behemoth they are now and it's been fascinating.

King of Chinatown is not great, and has some really lovely music through out it. But I found its subjects pretty fascinating. Its about competitive fighting games, and at the start it appears to be about Justin Wong and his rise, but its really about his crazy manager Isaiah TriForce Johnson (legal name) who walks around with a power glove in his hand and has an apartment full of "pro gamers" (mostly young kids) living and sleeping in his living room playing games 24/7.

He later became the subject of this polygon article about waiting in lines, which I would not recommend reading until after you finish the documentary
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/18/3655956/triforce-johnson-the-worlds-most-patient-gamer-wii-u

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Meowbot posted:

wow i saw "only the dead see the end of war " war documentary and besides being very very violent iwasnt expecting decpations and seeing fuckin ISIS videos which ive tried to avoid nm y whole adult life but that was an AMAZING first hand look at the war I am very removed from and didnt realize how rough this war actually was for americans

I also started watching "into the hornets nest" and i cant say the same the situations are scary sand dangerous but the war correspondenets son is trying way too hard to be like his dad that he comes off as annoying? not genuine I suppose is the word?

Watched this last week and I have to say that it wasn't really what I expected. I first saw some of Ware's stuff in 2006, when he featured prominently in the Frontline documentary "The Insurgency" (which - like all of Frontline's stuff on Iraq - was excellent, btw). He talks in that documentary about a lot of the same subject matter related to embedding with early insurgents and getting information on Zarqawi, but obviously without all the restrospective reflection on the psychological toll it wreaked.

Purely from a filmmaking perspective Only the Dead is not great - I found the editing to be lacking, and the whole thing seriously lacked context. This might not be a problem if the personal angle was more compelling, but, to be honest, the narrative of the descent into the madness of war did little for me, and most of the notes he hits are banal at best. It struck me that now, with the rise of ISIS and a good amount having passed since the withdrawal of US combat forces, would be a perfect time to produce a large-scale documentary on the war, how it developed, and why it produced the geopolitical situation we see today (Frontline has dealt with many of these issues in varied documentaries, but it would be great to have one cohesive overview). Ware, with so much really great material from Iraq at his disposal stretching much of the length of the war, could have produced such a documentary. Ultimately, what he produced just feels pretty shallow.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Do you write reviews for a living? I felt like this was right out of newspaper.

(this is a compliment by the way)

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

MeinPanzer posted:

Watched this last week and I have to say that it wasn't really what I expected. I first saw some of Ware's stuff in 2006, when he featured prominently in the Frontline documentary "The Insurgency" (which - like all of Frontline's stuff on Iraq - was excellent, btw). He talks in that documentary about a lot of the same subject matter related to embedding with early insurgents and getting information on Zarqawi, but obviously without all the restrospective reflection on the psychological toll it wreaked.

Purely from a filmmaking perspective Only the Dead is not great - I found the editing to be lacking, and the whole thing seriously lacked context. This might not be a problem if the personal angle was more compelling, but, to be honest, the narrative of the descent into the madness of war did little for me, and most of the notes he hits are banal at best. It struck me that now, with the rise of ISIS and a good amount having passed since the withdrawal of US combat forces, would be a perfect time to produce a large-scale documentary on the war, how it developed, and why it produced the geopolitical situation we see today (Frontline has dealt with many of these issues in varied documentaries, but it would be great to have one cohesive overview). Ware, with so much really great material from Iraq at his disposal stretching much of the length of the war, could have produced such a documentary. Ultimately, what he produced just feels pretty shallow.

It was not what I expected either since it was featured on a bunch of "top 10 iraq war" lists and no ones like "warning tons of death". It sounds like you have a lot more information about the subject which is what made it so jarring and exciting for me to watch because seeing it first hand captured so close to the atrocities knocked the wind out of me because I had no idea how little the insurgents really cared for human life and you hear about it in the news but to see it was astonishing and very sickening. I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned and I can see your points but for me it really surprised me how vicious the footage was and you gotta think someone is crazy to be in that situation and not even think of wanting to leave I wouldnt dream have stayed another day if there was a knife at my throat and I was seconds from being another missing jouranlist.

do you have any other good recommendations for the war in iraq since you seem to be well versd on the subject?

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Meowbot posted:

I'm about to watch "taxi to the dark side" - I didnt know how interesting the iraq war documentaries were, does anyone have any other recommendations? preferrably without ISIS decapitations that stuff is not my jam

on. very cool to see both sides and probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Restrepo, This Is What Winning Looks Like, The Battle for Marjah, Gunner's Palace, The War Tapes, Severe Clear, Baghdad ER, and Alive Day Memories. Restrepo is probably the best of them. All of them are worth watching though. Most can be found on youtube.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gunner's Palace is loving fascinating.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Meowbot posted:

It was not what I expected either since it was featured on a bunch of "top 10 iraq war" lists and no ones like "warning tons of death". It sounds like you have a lot more information about the subject which is what made it so jarring and exciting for me to watch because seeing it first hand captured so close to the atrocities knocked the wind out of me because I had no idea how little the insurgents really cared for human life and you hear about it in the news but to see it was astonishing and very sickening. I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned and I can see your points but for me it really surprised me how vicious the footage was and you gotta think someone is crazy to be in that situation and not even think of wanting to leave I wouldnt dream have stayed another day if there was a knife at my throat and I was seconds from being another missing jouranlist.

do you have any other good recommendations for the war in iraq since you seem to be well versd on the subject?

Aside from those that have already been covered, I would again highly recommend all the Frontline documentaries on Iraq and ISIS, which can be viewed for free on their website (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/ - just click "Watch"). These stretch back to soon after the war began and really covered in gory detail the conditions on the ground as well as the machinations that led to the whole mess.

If you're also interested in Afghanistan, they have lots of good episodes on that too, including similar on-the-ground type coverage. If you're interested in seeing "the other side", I particularly recommend Behind Taliban Lines, which is, to my knowledge, unique in presenting footage obtained from an Afghan journalist who embedded with the Taliban, and even filmed as he accompanied them when they try to ambush American troops with an IED(!).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jihad-selfie-the-story-of-how-indonesian-teenagers-are-recruited-to-islamic-state-20160721-gqb8gy.html cringing title aside ("Jihad Selfie"), it's unlikely this will be as amazing as The Act of Killing/The Sound of Silence but it would probably be crazy af

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Rooster Teeth's World's Greatest Head Massage: An ASMR Journey. Whilst it's slightly nutty in Part 1, it was a really fun watch and it was cool seeing India through these guys eyes. Very fish out of water like An Idiot Abroad without the complaining/cruelty.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

cstang posted:

Restrepo, This Is What Winning Looks Like, The Battle for Marjah, Gunner's Palace, The War Tapes, Severe Clear, Baghdad ER, and Alive Day Memories. Restrepo is probably the best of them. All of them are worth watching though. Most can be found on youtube.

For the non-combat side, throw Control Room and My Country, My Country up on there. Clear biases and all, but that's half the MO of documentary making.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Saw Weiner, not sure how much, if any, bias there was but most of what I got out of it was bafflement over how much people focus on a political candidate's personal life over their political position. It's pretty interesting to see how judgmental people get while brushing aside the fact that everyone is practically a huge hypocrite chastising a political candidate for personal mistakes that have nothing to do with the political side of things, and peoples' willingness to sacrifice having their voice heard for some notion of unachievable perfection in a chosen representative.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I had no idea that keeping from sending pictures of my penis to women who aren't my wife, was an unachievable level of decency.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I did a double feature of Citizenfour and Herzog's new Lo and Behold and now I can't decide if the internet is going to destroy us or save us.

Hell it will probably be something else entirely.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Woah i just came here to request hacker/spy poo poo documentaries and here it is.

If someone would make an effort post about this sort of thing i'd thank them.

edit: I'm asking here because i've already searched myself but most i found are pretty poo poo/amateur, I'd hoped you guys would know good documentaries about this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bagual posted:

Woah i just came here to request hacker/spy poo poo documentaries and here it is.

If someone would make an effort post about this sort of thing i'd thank them.

edit: I'm asking here because i've already searched myself but most i found are pretty poo poo/amateur, I'd hoped you guys would know good documentaries about this.

Start here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ILA5Cso3w

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Citizenfour is definitely a must see in that vein.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What's it playing on?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The 30 for 30 OJ doc is on Hulu. I'm halfway through and it is excellent. If you missed it don't sit on this.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Proxima Centuri discovery, not to mention KIC 8462852, has re-ignited my interest in the latest astronomical discoveries. What are the best documentaries in particular focusing on exoplanets discovered recently? I know there have been thousands, and we're waiting for more powerful telescope projects to come online in the next decades to get more info, but what are some of the coolest, weirdest, most interesting planets discovered so far?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I just wanted to surface a documentary that I saw a few years ago but that I still fondly think about sometimes. It's called I Like Killing Flies and it's a sort of food-based and character-based doc about this eccentric cook in New York who owns a small restaurant. He's a unique and super entertaining guy in himself, and the story wrapped around it about his struggles to adjust to a rapidly changing city is engrossing, as well.

One of my favorite things about his restaurant is that he's gradually, over the years, amassed dozens of homemade dishes and just keeps adding them to the menu so that the printed menu is just an impossible mass of text. It looks like what a serial killer chef's diary would look like and it owns.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Floodixor posted:

I just wanted to surface a documentary that I saw a few years ago but that I still fondly think about sometimes. It's called I Like Killing Flies and it's a sort of food-based and character-based doc about this eccentric cook in New York who owns a small restaurant. He's a unique and super entertaining guy in himself, and the story wrapped around it about his struggles to adjust to a rapidly changing city is engrossing, as well.

One of my favorite things about his restaurant is that he's gradually, over the years, amassed dozens of homemade dishes and just keeps adding them to the menu so that the printed menu is just an impossible mass of text. It looks like what a serial killer chef's diary would look like and it owns.

Yeah that's a great doc that sadly left Netflix many years ago and hasn't been back since then. Kenny Shopsin is a very interesting character. Check out his book if you liked the movie, it has a lot more of his wisdom and learnings (and some super unhealthy but awesome recipes): https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Me-Philosophy-Kenny-Shopsin/dp/0307264939

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that's a great doc that sadly left Netflix many years ago and hasn't been back since then. Kenny Shopsin is a very interesting character. Check out his book if you liked the movie, it has a lot more of his wisdom and learnings (and some super unhealthy but awesome recipes): https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Me-Philosophy-Kenny-Shopsin/dp/0307264939

That's awesome, I had no idea he had a book. Good info, thanks!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this and lo and behold was a great double feature

watch this one first, the 2600 one

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Seeing "Tickled" in a bit... I've heard it's fantastic.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

CaveGrinch posted:

Seeing "Tickled" in a bit... I've heard it's fantastic.

There's an episode of the podcast The Dollop about that whole thing, having heard that I gotta admit I'm dying to find the documentary.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's really good. As I posted earlier in the thread, it's what I was hoping from that borefest, Catfish.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is the Jonestown documentary on Hulu any good or should I just watch the one everyone knows again?

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I love Werner Herzog but I work as a software engineer and I thought Lo and Behold was probably his weakest doc yet. He just... didn't know what he was talking about nor did he even understand what he was hearing. He still asked some pretty entertaining questions and got some decent answers out of people, as usual, and it made me hate Elon Musk a little less than I did before. Also I laughed really hard at him saying UCLA "looks repulsive"

I also saw Lucha Mexico. They cover a pretty extraordinary period of time where several of their subjects die during the course of the documentary... but they just glaze over it too quickly. I watch a shitload of wrestling and I thought there were too many scenes of little wrestling shows that served no point. Maybe if you have never watched lucha before they'd be more interesting. Really awesome cinematography though, and the old arenas in mexico city are beautiful

Also saw these two true crime docs:

Dream/Killer - stupid title but a perfectly acceptable murder / iffy confession thing. Not earth-shattering but if you are in the mood for getting pissed at the Justice System, its decent
Bayou Blue - Kind of a strange take on a serial killer doc. They shoot all the locations in present day as they are being talked about... nice cinematography and it was sort of unique. Theres no grand conspiracy or anything but if you are running out of crime docs (like I am) check it out

Hit me up if you got any more True Crime docs (beyond the standard Paradise Lost / Thin Blue Line type stuff)!!!! I just finished reading Dave Cullen's book on Columbine and I was wondering if there were any good docs made on the Virginia Tech / Sandy Hook shootings? I'd even go for a good Columbine doc thats not Bowling For Columbine

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Los Punks is up on Netflix now. It's about how Punk caught on in a big way with Latinos in South Central LA, and gave way to shitloads of backyard shows.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I love Werner Herzog but I work as a software engineer and I thought Lo and Behold was probably his weakest doc yet. He just... didn't know what he was talking about nor did he even understand what he was hearing. He still asked some pretty entertaining questions and got some decent answers out of people, as usual, and it made me hate Elon Musk a little less than I did before. Also I laughed really hard at him saying UCLA "looks repulsive"

I also saw Lucha Mexico. They cover a pretty extraordinary period of time where several of their subjects die during the course of the documentary... but they just glaze over it too quickly. I watch a shitload of wrestling and I thought there were too many scenes of little wrestling shows that served no point. Maybe if you have never watched lucha before they'd be more interesting. Really awesome cinematography though, and the old arenas in mexico city are beautiful

Also saw these two true crime docs:

Dream/Killer - stupid title but a perfectly acceptable murder / iffy confession thing. Not earth-shattering but if you are in the mood for getting pissed at the Justice System, its decent
Bayou Blue - Kind of a strange take on a serial killer doc. They shoot all the locations in present day as they are being talked about... nice cinematography and it was sort of unique. Theres no grand conspiracy or anything but if you are running out of crime docs (like I am) check it out

Hit me up if you got any more True Crime docs (beyond the standard Paradise Lost / Thin Blue Line type stuff)!!!! I just finished reading Dave Cullen's book on Columbine and I was wondering if there were any good docs made on the Virginia Tech / Sandy Hook shootings? I'd even go for a good Columbine doc thats not Bowling For Columbine

Murder On A Sunday Morning is a great crime documentary. The Iceman Interviews on youtube or HBOGO are also worth checking out. You can also check out the "FilmRise" channel on youtube. They bought the rights to the old Forensic Files, The New Detectives, and FBI Files. PBS Frontline has a few good ones too although they've just recently started charging for some of their docs.

cstang fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 5, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seconding FilmRise's channel. I wonder what kind of money they make off just having all of The FBI Files uploaded to Youtube.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cstang posted:

Murder On A Sunday Morning is a great crime documentary.

Backed, I caught it on a TV airing 10+ years ago and it always stuck with me. Anyone who likes the recent glut of stuff like Jinx and Making a Murderer would dig it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Any fan of HBOs Hard Knocks should check out Amazon's All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals for an amazing look at the workings of a sports team. Even if you're not into Football, the production value and human drama will carry you through.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Just got done re-watching The Devil at your Heels, which is one of my longtime favourites. It chronicles stuntman Ken Carter's attempt to jump a rocket-powered car across the St Lawrence river, edited and filmed whilst the whole thing unfolded during the mid-to-late 1970s. It's got all the ingredients of a great documentary.. colourful characters, various unbelievable twists and turns, and the ultimate hook of 'is he going to attempt the jump?' that you don't have answered until the end.

Anyway, I love it and figured this was a good place to give it a mention. Full movie's below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5WCpFY0PE

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

boof posted:

Just got done re-watching The Devil at your Heels, which is one of my longtime favourites. It chronicles stuntman Ken Carter's attempt to jump a rocket-powered car across the St Lawrence river, edited and filmed whilst the whole thing unfolded during the mid-to-late 1970s. It's got all the ingredients of a great documentary.. colourful characters, various unbelievable twists and turns, and the ultimate hook of 'is he going to attempt the jump?' that you don't have answered until the end.

Anyway, I love it and figured this was a good place to give it a mention. Full movie's below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5WCpFY0PE

Carter reminds me of Kenny Power in Eastbound And Down. There's a documentary kinda similar to this about a guy that got mauled by a bear and decided to dedicate his life to making a bear proof suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6eNK1O-RWw

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

^^Project Grizzly is required Canadiana, NFB for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A doc about my favorite little theater and also a little bit of history about the artform itself.

A bunch of ugly people in this trailer tho (I recognize half of them as regulars at the New Bev.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPZxrjE2vE

Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehulRoAFw0

The New Beverly also just updated their website, so they have a bunch of articles, blog posts, reviews, and an archive of their past calendars (my favorite part about the new design).

http://thenewbev.com