Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Brerose posted:

Okay, I'd like to actually watch Sailor Moon after reading this LP, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any good starting points?

Bonus points if it's a dub because I'm in a weird fey mood where I don't want to read the words.

(sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread)

Been enjoying the Lp thus far.
Also here's my sailor moon drops id: wwdd4f550

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what I hate about Drops is that every so often it misreads which way I'm swiping and all of a sudden I'm down to 5 moves because I coulda had a prism if you hadn't moved the other way you stupid game :argh:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enjoying the LP. So much so that I played through this game today (using the level 16 code so I didn't have to grind). Looking forward to the rest.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If you're in Canada it's also free for streaming on Tubi TV.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The Stage 8 of the event continues to be the worst stage, to the point where I just give up on my score. And you have to do it every time. (3/5 done)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Cyouni posted:

The Stage 8 of the event continues to be the worst stage, to the point where I just give up on my score. And you have to do it every time. (3/5 done)

I got really lucky with Stage 8.

I'm mostly getting hosed by Stage 5 and its three loving tiaras.

I'm on course two now though :woop:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I got really lucky with Stage 8.

I'm mostly getting hosed by Stage 5 and its three loving tiaras.

I'm on course two now though :woop:

Guess which stage gets the privilege of reappearing every course I've completed so far.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Bejeweled! My wife is laughing at my poor performance.

ww37c9095

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cyouni posted:

Guess which stage gets the privilege of reappearing every course I've completed so far.

They're... They're identical each time, though. Just with less moves/time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

They're... They're identical each time, though. Just with less moves/time.

Surprisingly i've had less trouble on the second set.

Edit: nevermind 8's still a bitch, i only won last time because of a piece scratcher i had obtained from a gift box in map 1.

Double edit: after i complain about it I got stage 8 no problem and eventually finished 9 so yay I got serenity!

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 17, 2016

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Aces High posted:

what I hate about Drops is that every so often it misreads which way I'm swiping and all of a sudden I'm down to 5 moves because I coulda had a prism if you hadn't moved the other way you stupid game :argh:

This happens so often, when I don't have a single problem with inputs in Bejeweled Stars, that I'm starting to wonder if it's a feature and not a bug. I have sat swiping one piece for 20 seconds straight without it moving, or not moving in one specific direction, or moving clearly and consistently in a direction that isn't the one I'm swiping in, even though everything around it moves fine. And it's usually something critical I'm trying to set up.

I kinda hate this game but if I'm not actually playing it then I'm thinking about playing it while waiting for hearts to refill, help.

Is there a game like this or Bejeweled Stars that isn't freemium bullshit? Basic Bejeweled is so much less fun when you can't swap special pieces to make the entire board blow up. :(

flocons de mais
Oct 4, 2008
Sailor moon drops trip report: Getting the wallpapers now, the next map be unavailable :(

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I've been trying to get the key in the second stage after the first keyspot.

First time I get close to maybe being able to hit two stars the game crashes on me as i'm about to get a prism to make a sick combo with a stripe, and the game was kind enough to take the heart away anyway. :arghfist::(

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Echo Cian posted:

Is there a game like this or Bejeweled Stars that isn't freemium bullshit? Basic Bejeweled is so much less fun when you can't swap special pieces to make the entire board blow up. :(

oh man i get to recommend match-3 games :holy:

In terms of standard match-3 titles that use the Candy Crush powerup-mixing system, Gummy Drop gives you a lot of ways to get around tough spots without spending money, and an interestingly deep metagame involving reparing famous monuments.
(Also the game doesn't use a star-rating system, so no completing a level over and over trying to get a high enough score)

I'd also recommend TwoDots, which isn't a traditional match-3, but has a lot of clever ideas for board elements and some amazing aesthetic direction. The difficulty thumbscrews are somewhat tighter, but one can still manage alright (especially if they're willing to watch incentivized ads).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this convinced me to try drops. Then I promptly rage quit after spending all my hearts, several times over, on one stage and failing every time because I would completely run out of possible matches except one tiny corner where I couldn't do anything. Getting the accessories to the bottom is some hot bullshit.

Anyway, I think I played this game once way back when I broke my wrist and spent like half my summer just playing every snes JRPG I could find. I'm pretty sure I gave up at the mercury section too, I tend to hate games that keep shuffling your party around.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, I think I played this game once way back when I broke my wrist and spent like half my summer just playing every snes JRPG I could find. I'm pretty sure I gave up at the mercury section too, I tend to hate games that keep shuffling your party around.

FF4 was pretty much the hottest poo poo on the Super Famicom, remember, and your party members there were on a veritable Suicide Shuffle of a revolving door for about 80% of the game before settling on The Brainwashed Guy, The Worst Ninja, and the two squishy mages.

As of such, a lot of SNES/SFam JRPGs heavily played with constant party shuffling.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

In terms of standard match-3 titles that use the Candy Crush powerup-mixing system, Gummy Drop gives you a lot of ways to get around tough spots without spending money, and an interestingly deep metagame involving reparing famous monuments.
(Also the game doesn't use a star-rating system, so no completing a level over and over trying to get a high enough score)

I'd also recommend TwoDots, which isn't a traditional match-3, but has a lot of clever ideas for board elements and some amazing aesthetic direction. The difficulty thumbscrews are somewhat tighter, but one can still manage alright (especially if they're willing to watch incentivized ads).

TwoDots is good, but you will sometimes get stuck on a level that will gently caress you for weeks with bad randomization of the initial layout if you're not willing to spend money.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, you know how it is with evil. Some people are just joiners.

Also, some people weaponize the blade their past-life boss used to commit suicide.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

FF4 was pretty much the hottest poo poo on the Super Famicom, remember, and your party members there were on a veritable Suicide Shuffle of a revolving door for about 80% of the game before settling on The Brainwashed Guy, The Worst Ninja, and the two squishy mages.

As of such, a lot of SNES/SFam JRPGs heavily played with constant party shuffling.

At least 4 usually left you with Cecil in your party though :argh: even FF6 didn't just drop you into nowhere with a group of unused jerks you didn't know how to use as far as I can remember. FFXIII's constant party roulette was pretty frustrating though. Just as you got used to one character, you were stuck using someone else, except now you had to fight a boss.

Glazius posted:

Also, some people weaponize the blade their past-life boss used to commit suicide.

:psyduck: I get the feeling I should finish reading Sailor Moon because this sounds crazier than I remember. What is the general feeling on the show vs the manga on this one, anyway?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nuebot posted:

I get the feeling I should finish reading Sailor Moon because this sounds crazier than I remember. What is the general feeling on the show vs the manga on this one, anyway?

Depends on what you want out of it. I prefer the manga but some people prefer more character moments from spending time with them longer in anime form.

The manga is more ballsy by miles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Depends on what you want out of it. I prefer the manga but some people prefer more character moments from spending time with them longer in anime form.

The manga is more ballsy by miles.

I am definitely in it for the crazy. I also started listening to that podcast people mentioned earlier :negative: I'm being pulled into the sailor moon abyss.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Aces High posted:

Thiiiiiiiis! Argh.

I do have to say having tons of friends does really help with special events by providing all the extra lives. It also seems like Serenity's event was way, way, WAY easier than Usagi. I wonder if this was an apology of sorts for the bullshit that was Usagi, whom I did not unlock. :sigh:

Also I received a friend request from someone the other day and couldn't accept it because my friend list is capped now. I'm sorry! It's not you, it's me! :ohdear:

I think my two tips are:

1) Always start from the top of a board if you see any good moves so you don't lose them when moving lower down. However, start from the bottom in that stupid pillar shaped release the crystals stage, otherwise you will never get any moves to grab the bottom crystals.

2) Most importantly, if you're able, always ignore the hint system! To me, it always seems to detract from better moves you could have made or tries to get you to make impractical choices that just burn your number of moves. I'll only ever do what it suggests if there's absolutely no other option right before a board shuffle is necessary. I wish I could shut it off. It's distracting and annoying.

What really pisses me off is when you get the super hard accessory levels or whatever and break the barriers super early and then the game only gives you useless options so you burn all your moves and lose the level, or you accomplish your goal with like 20 moves left and it's like "gently caress you, your score is too low so keep playing and you can't have the gigantic Luna Bonus." It's even worse when you can't make required score with your remaining moves. :sigh:

Despite that, it's fun when it's not trying to screw you, and it's much more bearable with a big friend list.

Anyway, Venus' chapter looks like it was way more of a slog than the others. I know it's a shoujo series, but it's ridiculous to me that they have to shoehorn love interests into every chapter just because. Which of these guys will they ever see again? None.

I'm still looking forward to Chibiusa's chapter since she's my favorite. :shobon:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cheese Pain posted:

I'm still looking forward to Chibiusa's chapter since she's my favorite. :shobon:

Chibiusa does have the second best transformation theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHa4j_8xQmE

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

kefkafloyd posted:

Chibiusa does have the second best transformation theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHa4j_8xQmE

:allears: I seriously wish they kept the henshin themes for the TV dub. I also get a kick out of her image song, which is ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/UkOu1ftIt0s

I really love silly image songs on the whole, though.

E: Apparently video tags suck on mobile

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

Thanks for these suggestions! Gummy Drop seems really good about letting you actually play the game, although I'm baffled by the decision to stick with a candy theme in a game that is very clearly about travel and architecture. I know brand identity is a thing, but seriously. :psyduck:

Haven't played much of Two Dots yet but the level select background art is amazing, my god. This might be the first non-rhythm mobile game where I don't turn off audio.

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Echo Cian posted:

Thanks for these suggestions! Gummy Drop seems really good about letting you actually play the game, although I'm baffled by the decision to stick with a candy theme in a game that is very clearly about travel and architecture. I know brand identity is a thing, but seriously. :psyduck:

If memory serves, there's an incredibly vague justification about how gummies have "overtaken the world" that comes up about once in the store description, and nowhere else. :shrug:

I've been thinking about launching a megathread for "saga"-type games, since it's evident there's a number of goons willing to discuss them (and also at this point we're derailing the thread :v:). Does anyone have game recommendations for the OP?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

I've been thinking about launching a megathread for "saga"-type games, since it's evident there's a number of goons willing to discuss them (and also at this point we're derailing the thread :v:). Does anyone have game recommendations for the OP?

Just one.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

You're evil and I approve.

I love that series, if not that game.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

um actually it's spelled "saga frontier"

i mean i haven't touched it in 10+ years so i don't know how well it holds up but i remember liking it a bunch?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Ningyou posted:

um actually it's spelled "saga frontier"

i mean i haven't touched it in 10+ years so i don't know how well it holds up but i remember liking it a bunch?

SaGa Frontier holds up, despite it suffering from being obviously unfinished. Enough of the non Riki quests are finished and fun to carry the game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So while I'm compiling this next update, let's just ask the question: should I keep doing the "transcribe literally in the worst cases, edit into human dialogue otherwise" conversation style that was most of the updates, or would you prefer if I switch over to the faster-to-edit style I used in the last update where I keep the worst dialogue but otherwise just summarize what the hell was said?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

So while I'm compiling this next update, let's just ask the question: should I keep doing the "transcribe literally in the worst cases, edit into human dialogue otherwise" conversation style that was most of the updates, or would you prefer if I switch over to the faster-to-edit style I used in the last update where I keep the worst dialogue but otherwise just summarize what the hell was said?
I think we're clear on how egregiously bad the fan translation is. Do what feels right.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I like the show us how bad it is, but please don't do asterisks if you're gonna do asides, because by the end of the post I've forgotten what they referenced. Just take a moment right there to go what the gently caress is this bullshit.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

I vote that you switch to the summarise the scene while showing the worst dialogue/patch choices approach. That said, do what works for you.

Am really enjoying this LP. Your commentary is good and the updates are a joy to read. Having said that, if I had to nitpick, I agree with this:

Anoia posted:

please don't do asterisks if you're gonna do asides, because by the end of the post I've forgotten what they referenced. Just take a moment right there to go what the gently caress is this bullshit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anoia posted:

I like the show us how bad it is, but please don't do asterisks if you're gonna do asides, because by the end of the post I've forgotten what they referenced. Just take a moment right there to go what the gently caress is this bullshit.

I also agree with this.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Anoia posted:

Yeah, this

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Have to agree - that works with books because the space between the point to be elaborated on, and the elaboration is within the same view, so it's very quick to go back and look it up, with the essentially limitless space an update has, it'll just get lost in the shuffle.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Anoia posted:

Noted. Alright.

I'm gonna get on that next post now, then.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

gently caress. I have not been looking forward to this, because it is time for another first-timer catchup post, on Chibi-Usa/Sailor Chibi Moon.

/

Now, I'm just gonna admit this up front: when I write these blurbs, I tend to just go with a "at this point in the series, this character had done X/Y/Z", because I know a few people have said they are trying the show or manga because of this thread. I'm not doing that here, because what you have to realize is that while she is sort of a tragic figure who has a totally hosed up life, Chibi-Usa is involved in every single candidate for "worst plotline" in the series. I am taking her character arc to the end here.

Let's just go down the list...

• She's either 6 or 900+ years old - The anime very clearly went "Nope, nope, NUH-UH" with a weird revelation about her character, which is that despite looking and acting like a toddler, she's been alive for nearly a millenium herself. Very little time is spent dwelling on this in either medium, but it does not help when we add in...
  • She wants to bang her dad - This is the one thing I'm holding off on because that's a later boss fight and a whole loving can of worms itself, but yeah. Yeah. This is not subtext. Some of you will remember an off-color joke I made earlier about the second arc coming down to "space/time-ruining wife-swapping". This is related.
  • She might bang a horse - Her equivalent of Prince Endymion is a junior-sized priest with a golden horn who appears to people in their dreams as a pegasus. This is never explored but especially in the manga, that arc ends with her saving this dude and then introducing a bunch of one-off future-Sailors who will barely come to anything, almost like Takeuchi was trying to lay the groundwork for a future spinoff about her.
  • Her name is dumb as hell, yo - "In Crystal Tokyo she also went by the name Usagi Small Lady Serenity."
  • She gets Back to the Futured out of existence - In the final arc, being Usagi's kid, she is one of the final survivors of the Galactic Murder Tour, right up until a sorceress rips her dad's soul apart and she fades into nothingness.

Also I guess she made the Holy Grail by accident. It was a primary school arts and crafts project and it turned into the "MoonCup" that this game lets us use to become Super Sailor Moon. I'm sorry, that's pretty awesome.

Anyways, we're at "Mugen Gakuen" aka "Infinity Academy", that evil school I mentioned the Outer Senshi debuted at by looking into the evil time-warping school. Because Chibi-Usa is kind of an idiot, she has allowed another 6 year old to talk her into coming along on this journey.

In the principle's office (as the patch puts it), Anshar and Sin are arguing over how to handle this. Anshar just goes "Look, it's two little girls, let me go out there and escort them off-campus", and Sin decides "How about gently caress you, and I've sent assassins already."

Anshar is basically the following* re: Chibi-Usa

I just want to point out that whether it was in the original text or not, the translation gives a super-creepy vibe to Sin's monologue when Anshar storms out.

That girl isn't right for my Anshar. The person for my brother should be someone like me... Droids! Youma! Kill that girl!

Yes, once again we're in a building with identical hallways and doors, but unlike middle schools, Infinity Academy can afford some carpet. There are a total of three locales of note here, one per floor:

On the first floor, a "scary" computer lurks inside a lone room. For completion's sake: the "TIRED PEOPLE!!" healing merchant is also kicking around on this floor, which is really weird given that there are no random encounters here. Period.

This is a positive because we possess no stats whatsoever. We cannot even cast Chibi-Moon's lone spell right now, our max EP is so low. The vast majority of those stats come from accessories.

The second floor has the "sick room", which you might refer to as a nurse's office under any other name. It's good to know where this is for plot reasons!

And on the third floor, there is a locked principal's office (FOR VILLAINS ONLY!! it should read) and a room wherein a small child is menaced by hellbeasts.

Due to Chibi-Moon currently being Level Shite, Anshar has to save us, and that delay means that Chibi-Chun Li is now poisoned and going to die unless we get her to the "sick room". But because of some kind of amazing translation here, the healing process is "If we can get her to sleep in the sick room, she'll be all better". I don't know what kind of scrub-tier assassins those were, but if your poison can be cured by bed rest, you might have hosed up.

I also want to point out that in theory, Chibi-Usa should be the sole person to put together that all these assholes came from the future, right now. In theory, Anshar's freak-dog is just a common pet in her future era, which means she ought to be able to go "WAIT THIS SHOULD NOT BE HERE". But no, the writers didn't think that hard about this when they gave him the weird devil dog that never does anything, so instead we get the amazing "what the gently caress is that?!" instead.

Now at this point you need to go to the Sick Room, but not to drop Momo off. No, instead you need to find a key outside the door which we did not see sooner, which we will instinctually know opens the door to the "control room" on the bottom floor, which is where the computer is.

I know this place was a hosed up alien farming ground in the series, but I also know that the only poo poo that was locked up and off limits was alien laboratories, not weird sentient mainframes. Seriously, we see the Outer Senshi trying to break into them. Students went here and held classes daily.

Anyway, of course the computer is evil, it asks for a password, and in the tradition of JRPG computers who want passwords, we're confronted with battle for not entering it.

Boxy was a surreal mess of puns. He was sealed inside a priest, who awakened as one of the Seven Great Youma in the anime, who was a winged boxer in monster form. As a result this sums up his name, a giant pun that works in two languages...

quote:

The name of the Youma is a pun on the Japanese word for priest, "bokushi" (牧師), which is pronounced similar to "Boxy," as well as is the first three syllables in the Japanese pronunciation of the word "boxing" (ボクシング/bokushingu).

As one of the Seven Great Youma, Boxy was amongst the Dark Kingdom's most powerful monsters during the era of the Silver Millennium[...]

I mentioned that last part because Chibi-Moon can KO each of them in one punch each. This might have been the wrong place to put one of the most potent beasts Queen Beryl ever commanded.

And then we're level 8! Why the hell did we not all just start with better stats and/or around that level? God damnit, I hate this game on that front.

Then this whole thing goes nuts, as we set Momo down to rest in the Sick Room, Anshar begins puppeting her body (she will never use this power again), reveals herself to be Anshar's sister when Chibi-Usa recognizes her, sucker-punches Chibi-Usa, and it's actually supremely unclear due to the animation/translation what happens here? Momo vanishes all of a sudden, Sin goes "Alright, Anshar, let's go home now", and Anshar decides to give the "gently caress YOU NOT-MOM" and teleports everyone who isn't Sin away.

Except when Chibi-Usa and Anshar wake up in a mystery forest, Anshar says 'that girl' teleported Momo away (which is dumb now that everyone knows they're related) and he passes out, leaving her alone in the woods.

Then Luna shows up, goes "Wanna save?" and transfers us to Real-Usa.

Now, you would think since Luna was just right next to Chibi-Usa in the forest, she'd be going "You need to help your kid", but no...

Anyway, before we can go look for a missing, wounded individual, a 6 year old who looks like P2 Chun Li flies in and goes "OH GOD YOUR SISTER IS MISSING BECAUSE WE BROKE INTO A SCHOOL". So Usagi decides "You know what sounds fun? Breaking into a school! Uranus and Neptune did that without me last time."

At this point, we're free to wander the town again, the random encounters are gone. Had we not raided the most expensive store in town for its gear last time, we would now be free to using the shared funds of all the other Scouts, but instead, I'll just point out my favorite NPC, who seems to both skewer the stupid weeaboo aspects of this translation and points out a handy tip!

Yes, this is a tip you should recall whenever we return to Juuban in the story: "Go find the correct bus route to advance the plot".

The plot continues to make no sense as somehow Sin wonders why Sailor Moon would be here right after:
a) her daughter was attacked and escaped
b) she, Sin, apparently freed a witness who would go "OH poo poo I NEED HELP"
c) all their old villains have been running around and this was the site of a major battle for humanity itself

So she tells Professor Tomoe (reminder: Hotaru's dad) to go "invite them to the Tomoe Labs, and kill them". He does this by turning on the Evil Machine again.

As a result, we walk two steps inside the academy and go "Oh, we need to go elsewhere".

If we follow the walls of the building around, there's actually this unassuming building here which looks like all the unopenable doors in Juuban proper. Buuuuuuut, if you walk up them...

...there is a weird time/space shop where a turbo-nerd will buy rare items off you. Said items exist throughout the game and are basically as much of a pain in the dick to find as the hidden puzzle pieces were in chapter two. You know how I said I was cheating and gave myself the entire economy of Neo-Tokyo to play with? We won't be doing this sidequest, because it is straight up only here to pay you. No items, no other reward.

Anyway, on to the next area. Props from a technical standpoint for the translation adding in English fonts on some of these signs.

As soon as we walk into the Tomoe Labs lot, Steering will be the only random encounter, which is a real pain in the dick for me trying to grind Sailor Moon up to a better level. Steering is what happens when you stick an alien egg in an F1 racer, and it led to Neptune/Uranus chasing this thing on motorcycles and death-racing it. Guess what, kids: even if you're not fond of them just for being hella gay, those two rock when they fight anything.

The reason I force myself to grind is that Professor Tomoe is going to fling a boss rush at us. Before he does, he gives some FF1-tier dialogue I love:

It rather has been a while, Sailor Moon. Did you really think I'd been destroyed? (He throws up his arms.) Come out, Mistress 9! Cause a calamity to befall that person! Beat up Sailor Moon!

So I discussed this under Sailor Saturn's entry, but blah blah baby Hotaru Tomoe + Daimon egg = Mistress 9, who arguably has the best major villain name in the utterly insane Infinity/Sailor Moon S arc. (Reminder: other enemies consist of the Witches 5, Pharaoh 90, and Germatoid.) In this case she's actually a brutal boss fight, because she'll aim to hit you with Sleep and then wail on you for a few rounds. In a one-person party, Sleep is obviously a very "oh poo poo" ailment.

But of course, that doesn't stop me because I powergame. Thankfully, whoever did the 'translation' for Tomoe kept up the hamminess:

Those who fight against their Destiny shall die... and with that, I ask you, Kaolinite, to beat up this girl!

So she shows up.

Kaolinite was, like the Professor, a conscious host of a Daimon Egg for years prior to the Infinity Academy coming on the scene. She was basically second in command to the mad scientist, operated as the public face of the Academy as its principal, and was a complete badass. In the anime, she went "You know, I'll bet Sailor Moon would be a great host for one of these alien eggs", tried to rip her heart out, and when the direct approach failed, aimed to lure her into a trap. This backfired and she got tossed off the side of Tokyo Tower for her troubles, dying in the process.

So the Professor decided to bring her back to life.

She still ended up being the most skilled agent that the Death Busters had in a lessened state, and successfully brought about Mistress 9's awakening via trying to rip power out of Chibi-Usa instead of Usagi Prime, and because everyone in this agency was a real rear end in a top hat, Mistress 9 murdered her as thanks, remarking she was no longer needed.

She was more subtle in the manga (at first), acting as an administrator for Tomoe's plans. Her duties involved keeping an eye on Hotaru/Chibi-Usa's blossoming friendship, looking out for threats to the academy (ie, the Outer Senshi and later the Sailors as a whole), facilitating some students being 'transferred' to Tomoe's labs for experiments... etc. When Mistress 9 revived, she was "demoted" to being told to wipe out the Sailors. Her plan to do this was "revive the Witches 5, turn the academy itself into a labyrinth of traps and dead-ends, and curse the Scouts as a whole via voodoo". Even when this failed she still faced down all 9 women singlehandedly before Sailor Moon ended her life.

In this game she's just going to fling status effects at us about 50% more than Mistress 9 did and do less damage.

Afterwards, Prof. Tomoe books it the gently caress out of there, being out of ladies to fling at us for a minute, and Hotaru starts flipping back and forth between "human" and "hellbeast" until we hit her with a Moon Healing Escalation. Now we have two party members!

At this point you should really walk Saturn outside and also grind her up a little because she's got like... 2 HP. The next boss can OHKO her if you don't.

Following Tomoe will subject you to another boss fight immediately, which is another good reason to have taken a break. Again, this is three in a row without any breaks if you don't leave after Kaolinite.

How about I take care of things and beat you both up myself?
Why are you dragging Hotaru into a battle again?
(begins vamping) This is not a battle, this is a project. We are resurging with a thing called "strength". And we shall get some proper results this time around!

Germatoid was a very yonic alien beast that was either the thing possessing Professor Tomoe (anime) or the 'ultimate life-form' he genetically engineered himself into when cornered (manga). Hilariously, despite that appearance, he was the only male Daimon in the entire series. Wikimoon said it best when someone wrote:

quote:

He deployed duplicates of himself, but Sailor Neptune was able to expose the real Germatoid with the Deep Aqua Mirror, after which Sailor Uranus destroyed him by stabbing him in the eye with the Space Sword.

Rather than get a cool power like that, because this engine does not support it, he is instead a master of status effects, trying to hit us with Poison, Sleep, or Confusion. But because that isn't enough, he hits like a tank, and as I said, he would probably OHKO Saturn if I didn't move her back in the ranks/grind a little first.

And being one of the only evil supergeniuses in the franchise, he refuses to die when we kill him, and instead this rear end in a top hat casts Luminaire on us, fleeing after we get flung into a wall.

I actually really love the cat sprite here, which is the only time in this entire game I will say that.

I really want to know what the dialogue is here in Japanese, because in this translation, it is:

Saturn... your father is being controlled. It's getting dangerous, Hotaru. It's not right for you to help this time.
Yes. It would be too heartbreaking for you now. We can't lose because of sadness.
Mmm, you're right. Thank you, Sailor Moon. This time, you help Papa.

a) Sailor Saturn is like... the galactic queen of emo. Sadness fuels her.

b) She doesn't leave the party despite this.

A fun note here: Combater C shares the exact same issue as his first-act cousin and cannot attack at all, only displaying "Not enough EP" whenever he tries. So either that's intended behavior, shoddy coding in this patch broke that series of monsters' attributes, or something was bugged in all versions.

In a leftover room from FF6, infinite clones of esper-Terra float, and we find Saturn's first major accessory, boosting her attack a whopping 15 points. She has just gone from "good at hitting multiple targets" (which Sailor Moon cannot, recall) to "battlefield clearer on 2EP".

This dungeon is really, really samey, and in fact one room is one twisty hall off of being identical to the prior one, with only the aforementioned two enemy types showing up in here.

You're almost at the boss when you enter this abandoned throne room full of... are those corpses? I don't know what the everloving hell is going on with decor here. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DOING IN A LABORATORY

The Amulet is also going to continue to weaponize Hotaru, as despite being a "speed up" accessory, it's mostly boosting her attack. Again.

Anyway, I'm putting this to a vote: do we want to try and talk down Professor Tomoe here at the end, or just go in and kick the poo poo out of him? Yes, there are actual branches to this, just like in Mercury's chapter, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting everyone's time.

* This didn't need to be in the update text itself. Attibuting the comic to its original author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

The second floor has the "sick room", which you might refer to as a nurse's office under any other name. It's good to know where this is for plot reasons!
It's not too far from cromulent English. In Australia we call it a "sick bay".

END ME SCOOB posted:

I really want to know what the dialogue is here in Japanese, because in this translation, it is:

Saturn... your father is being controlled. It's getting dangerous, Hotaru. It's not right for you to help this time.
Yes. It would be too heartbreaking for you now. We can't lose because of sadness.
Mmm, you're right. Thank you, Sailor Moon. This time, you help Papa.
I'm looking at it, and what they've got is definitely super wrong, but I'm not sure I have the context to translate it properly either. When they say "this time", I'm not sure if they mean in contrast to earlier in the scene, or something in the original story. How did Professor Tomoe's arc end originally? Is he supposed to be dead or something?

• Locked thread