Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Well at least someone understands.

What is the Size of your said monitor?

The problem with the Res isn't just that you are comfortable with it reading things, but if you are on say a 19" widescreen with that res, you have a sort of balance of readability and "sharpness" that you feel is ok.

However going to say a 1080P 24" or 27" while getting a bit big at 27" for that res, would continue to give you ease of readability, but also vastly more screen real estate to see more on the screen at any one time, and you can easily find a 24" 1080P at least for less than $50 or hell $5 at a garage sell, goodwill, hell find any business that looks like they run a lot of PC's and see if they have any they upgraded from. At my work here, we just went through a bunch of layoffs and there are shelves full of 1080P (and some 1280x1024 dell screens) that are just getting tossed to recycling.

1366x768 was like the Minimum Windows 8 Metro res, but outside of that, once you actually go 1080P (or 1440P at 27" or so) you would never go back once using it for a short while. The clarity, the room to work, etc, all improves greatly.

Hell even this post wouldn't require you to scroll on something bigger. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
19.5" and I sit fairly close to it, for what it's worth. I admit I haven't gone to thrift stores looking for good deals on 1080p monitors but that might be because, as you might have noticed, I don't particularly care about getting a 1080p monitor. Again, I've used one and I can go back without wanting to kill myself, which is apparently the expected reaction.

Honestly I wouldn't even have posted about it if I hadn't gotten this reaction before. It's seriously fine and there isn't something wrong with my brain that's making me think so.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PerrineClostermann posted:

Our first LCD monitor was a big, heavy thing with 1280x1024 native, from 2001.

Fun fact: a 1366x768 monitor has 20% fewer pixels than a 1280x1024 one. That's why they're so garbo.

HMS Boromir posted:

19.5" and I stand fairly close to it, for what it's worth. I admit I haven't gone to thrift stores looking for good deals on 1080p monitors but that might be because, as you might have noticed, I don't particularly care about getting a 1080p monitor - again, I've used one and I can go back without wanting to kill myself, which is apparently the expected reaction.

Honestly I wouldn't even have posted about it if I hadn't gotten this reaction before. It's seriously fine and there isn't something wrong with my brain that's making me think so.

Why are you obsessively focusing on 1080p? Even 1280x1024 or 1600x900 or a bunch of other resolutions would be better, the whatever by 720/768 monitors were last mainstream in the late 90s, and since then especially in widescreen formats, they've been pretty much the rock bottom for a desktop monitor.

The point is there is nothing fine about the monitor you have, it's terrible for actually using modern things which expect modern resolutions. We're not saying there's anything wrong with your brain, just that you've been making life hard for yourself to save $5.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

...I should probably stop posting about my dumb monitor. Every time I do a swarm of people has to jump in and tell me I'm an idiot for not spending a bunch of money on something I don't want. I've used 1080p monitors and the "upgrade" is not worth money to me.

People keep jumping down your throat about this because you're just being stubborn, instead of sharing an opinion backed up by logic. Voluntarily using an HD monitor limits your options and productivity, and FHD isn't even high-res nowadays. It's one thing if you literally can't afford anything better, but if that was the case we could set up a Gofundme and raise the, say, $120 in like an hour: http://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-24-full-hd-led-backlit-monitor-101

You choosing to stick with an old monitor is like choosing to use floppy disks in TYOOL 2016 or to continue using an old 2 MP Sony compact camera. Sure they might still "work" but newer technology provides better options and valid reasons for upgrading (again, unless you're literally completely broke, in which case you should stop playing video games and get a loving job.)

HMS Boromir posted:

Except there is something wrong with your brain. Stockholm syndrome is a real phenomenon. Get help. :ohdear:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buy a 27" 1440p monitor for desktop work. If you're not getting a 144hz GSync monitor then 27" 1440p is really cheap, like $200 or so. It's pretty much the default choice for new purchases right now.

If you really insist on buying lovely graphics cards then play games at 720p, which is exactly 1/4th of 1440p resolution. Low resolution sucks hard but if you are totally insensitive to pebble-like grainy pixels then more power to you I guess. But the $200-250 price point has been garbo bang-for-buck recently and you're much better off stretching up to a Fury for $275 or a 980 Ti/1070 for $375-400, and that's enough horsepower to push 1440p nicely.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 19, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy a 27" 1440p monitor for desktop work. If you really insist on buying lovely graphics cards, play games at 720p, which is exactly 1/4th of 1440p resolution.

Integer scaling hasn't been implemented on a driver level so the fact that 720p is exactly 1/4th is meaningless.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Atomizer posted:

People keep jumping down your throat about this because you're just being stubborn, instead of sharing an opinion backed up by logic.

I think my logic is pretty sound. I've used a higher resolution monitor, it's nicer for desktop use but not by enough that I actually want one for that reason, especially since again I am not doing any work I'm getting paid for on this monitor. I don't think that calls for a cascade of people calling my choice of monitor resolution "horrible" and "making things hard on myself" and "Stockholm Syndrome" (jesus) but apparently goons disagree.

I'm gonna bow out here, I don't think any of us are having a good time and this is the Intel CPU thread anyway. Enjoy your high framerates at affordable prices KingEup, I'll continue enjoying mine.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

I think my logic is pretty sound. I've used a higher resolution monitor, it's nicer for desktop use but not by enough that I actually want one for that reason, especially since again I am not doing any work I'm getting paid for on this monitor. I don't think that calls for a cascade of people calling my choice of monitor resolution "horrible" and "making things hard on myself" and "Stockholm Syndrome" (jesus) but apparently goons disagree.

I'm gonna bow out here, I don't think any of us are having a good time and this is the Intel CPU thread anyway. Enjoy your high framerates at affordable prices KingEup, I'll continue enjoying mine.

No, you're being completely illogical. You admit using a higher-resolution display and finding it satisfactory. Your current display restricts you, whereas upgrading would give you the advantage of the higher resolution or being able to run at a lower one when you want, as has already been explained to you. Your old monitor doesn't give you the desktop real estate that would otherwise increase your productivity.

Your old display is a bottleneck, an upgrade literally gives you all the capabilities you have and more. We can't really restate this any more differently, in a language you can understand. You're not using logic, you're being obstinate.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where in the hell did you find a 1366x768 desktop monitor four years ago?!

Literally any big box store or computer store?
Let me blow your mind: You can still buy them at most computer stores.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God, who cares what resolution monitor someone uses.

Stop gooning it up, goons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HMS Boromir posted:

If you didn't want people to tell you why your monitor is bad, why'd you come here talking about how you love using a bad monitor? Seriously.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's next, people poo poo-talking ball mice?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
16:10 master race

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

go3 posted:

16:10 master race

I still use my almost 10 years old Samsung Syncmaster 226BW daily. Had to replace power supply capacitors year ago, but it's still going strong otherwise.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am disappointed the dell ultrasharps are moving away from 16:10, I have a 2412 and I love it.

16:9 is like what my lovely samsung work monitor is and so I hate it.

It's less about the resolution and more that the ultrasharps don't seem as premium as they once did.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My Gateway 1680X1050 screen finally died a year ago (the lamps and wiring for them need replacing) and the work to do that seems just to be a royal pain in the rear end especially after I already checked and replaced any caps that looked even partially like they were strained (they weren't, wish it was just the caps though). Was a great screen with the PIP and all the inputs though.

Lasted me since 05 though so 10 years or so isn't terrible. Got a 1440P Korean that OC to 100hz~ for $300 to replace it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

HMS Boromir posted:

I mean, I've been using this monitor for four years now and it hasn't been "horrible for actual daily desktop use". When I'm doing work for university or whatever there's occasional stuff where a bigger / second monitor would be more comfortable but that's like 0.1% of the time I'm using the thing. If you're doing real, paid work that benefits from extra screen real estate then 1360x768 is a war crime, sure, but I'm not, so it's fine.

Surely you're not implying that goons are less productive than they lead themselves to believe...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

NihilismNow posted:

Let me blow your mind: You can still buy them at most computer stores.
These shops need to be set on fire then.

SinineSiil posted:

I still use my almost 10 years old Samsung Syncmaster 226BW daily. Had to replace power supply capacitors year ago, but it's still going strong otherwise.
I retired my 24" Syncmasters a month ago. They were "only" 7 years old, but turned out the backlight had worn out quite a bit. Running one of my new displays side by side with the Syncmaster, I thought I was being blinded by a thousand suns. Per spec sheet, both models do 300cd. The Syncmaster ran at 100% for some reason, my new XB271HUs run at 30% and are still brighter.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 20, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What's next, people poo poo-talking ball mice?

If you still use a ball mouse then there are no words to express the pity we have for you. :smith:

On second thought, if you still have a functioning ball mouse that's pretty impressive. :hfive:

Unless you're using it because you're a hipster, in which case :fuckoff:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Atomizer posted:

If you still use a ball mouse then there are no words to express the pity we have for you. :smith:

On second thought, if you still have a functioning ball mouse that's pretty impressive. :hfive:

I've got serial and PS/2 but I don't use them any more.

edit: Oh wait, I mean, they're perfectly fine, I use them constantly. I've used an optical mouse and I can see the benefits but not enough for me to spend $5 on an optical mouse. My grandchildren will use these ball mice. Cleaning the grime off the rollers is a time honored tradition to be passed down. You kids get off my lawn.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Atomizer posted:

I've got one of the Apple puck mice framed in a shadow box above my desk to remind me of both the hilarious and sometimes stupidly of Apple designs (and I say this as an Apple fan), as well as to act as a reminder of the craziness of ball mice.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rexxed posted:

edit: Oh wait, I mean, they're perfectly fine, I use them constantly. I've used an optical mouse and I can see the benefits but not enough for me to spend $5 on an optical mouse. My grandchildren will use these ball mice. Cleaning the grime off the rollers is a time honored tradition to be passed down. You kids get off my lawn.

lol, :hfive: :getin:

SourKraut posted:

I've got one of the Apple puck mice framed in a shadow box above my desk to remind me of both the hilarious and sometimes stupidly of Apple designs (and I say this as an Apple fan), as well as to act as a reminder of the craziness of ball mice.

Ah, I had totally forgotten about the hockey puck piece-of-poo poo; we had them with lovely iMacs that everyone hated back in high school. I mean them being ball mice is one thing, but the horrendous design wouldn't have been saved by having an optical sensor! Except the ball hockey puck probably sold for $80, and then Apple would've sold the optical "iPuck Pro" for like $160 and idiots still would've bought them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I have a UPS connected through serial and still use a ps/2 keyboard legacy still lives, baby :circlefap:

I can't find a device that actually uses the parallel port anymore though

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Rexxed posted:

SourKraut posted:

Back in the nineties I got so aggravated with the grime cleaning routine that I shelled out for a Keytronic Lifetime Mouse.

Instead of having rollers touching a ball, it had roller feet underneath to contact the surface directly. The feet were sealed to prevent dirt or dust getting inside.

The tracking was better than you would expect, though not as good as a modern day optical mouse.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Standard ball mice? Dear sirs, it is trackball or death

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm glad the clitoris fell out of favour. Those were annoying.

[edit] https://xkcd.com/243/

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Ak Gara posted:

Take that back, those are awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Umm I think you'll find pointing sticks are the best mousing device for laptops. :colbert:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Clearly I've underestimated the popularity of TrackPoint™ Style Pointer's.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I've only seen them in office environments which also included things like docks and mice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ak Gara posted:

Clearly I've underestimated the popularity of TrackPoint™ Style Pointer's.

They work very well for very compact laptops. Certainly wish they had been popular during the netbook fad instead of postage stamp trackpads!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a lenovo work laptop and I always forget to use the pointer thingie.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

priznat posted:

I have a lenovo work laptop and I always forget to use the pointer thingie.

Well, it can be hard to find.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
When I had ThinkPads for work, disabled that loving thing in the BIOS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Well, it can be hard to find.

:perfect:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mayodreams posted:

I go the other way and turn off the trackpad in the BIOS, the nipple mouse is vastly superior. I've got a Dell Latitude right now and it's got a decent nipple mouse.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mayodreams posted:

I remember when IBM(?) used to make Thinkpad without the TouchPad and only the TrackPoint.

Those were the best days in technology.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
IBM TrackPoints are awesome. Other company's versions were somewhat less awesome, but still better than their (until recently) extremely lovely trackpads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

I go the other way and turn off the trackpad in the BIOS, the nipple mouse is vastly superior. I've got a Dell Latitude right now and it's got a decent nipple mouse.

This is the correct way. I have mine in a dock with a mouse connected and I still mostly use the track point during regular office work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Intel's earnings call has some neat stuff in it. They say they expect to ship the 3D X Point "Optane" SSDs by the end of the year.