Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 5 - This wasn't in the syllabus

It's time to go save Hinako! I'd like to point out that items in the jungle are not found in bushes, grass, or flowers; they are found in skulls.

There's a few new enemies inhabiting the jungle. Mandrill & Mandrill Jr., Lost Student, and Dancing Sunflower are all pretty normal in terms of moves and stats, though Dancing Sunflower can cause Shy.

Hellephant Kid can be a force to reckon with a higher attack and the ability to cause Shy.

Hold up!

BGM: Dungeon

This is the first real "dungeon" of the game, with several items scattered about for the taking in the form of backpacks.

As we follow after the mystery men, we move from cave to cave. C'mon Daichi, two dudes hefting around a high-school girl shouldn't be that fast.

Going down.

The cave also holds some more enemies. More Mystery Men appear, as well as Backwards Snakes.

This dungeon and basically every dungeon after this has a nurse's office somewhere in it. You can save, assign FP, and cure yourself here. The operative word here is "cure" - you cannot heal HP or GP here, only cure status effects.

We continue to follow the mystery men's path.

Good thing there's a suspicious hole ten feet away.

Nice skull-shaped key.

: Who the hell are you?!
: I don't answer to you! CHARGE!

BGM: Boss Battle

Though it's technically the first "boss battle" of the game, the Mystery Men have the same stats as what you'd find in the rest of the cave, so it's just a battle against four regular enemies. They don't even have any special moves or anything.

They disappear one by one.

Heading back...

: Who on earth were those guys? They said they needed your powers or something like that...
: I don't really know... My head's still spinning from being kidnapped and thrown in there all of a sudden. I'm not going to forgive them for this, even if they did at least kidnap the prettiest member of the team!
: Daichi! We're gonna fight together to reveal their true identity!
: Oh, YEAH!

Who was it who proposed the Jungle Joust to the Student Council? And what do they have to do with the group who kidnapped Hinako? And...aren't the mid-term exams about to start?

KIDNAP SCANDAL AT MAIN EVENT, JUNGLE JOUST

Though the Public Safety Committee have been investigating the culprit's identity and motive remain unknown. Some sources suggest it was the work of extremist students reacting against the recent Mind and Body rule and other such un-Hourai regulations.

However, it is understood that one of the culprits said that the victim "would be useful (to them)", and one of their number spotted at the scene had a stuffy old air about him. The case remains surrounded in mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 6 - Special study techniques

BGM: Hospo Editors' Room

: Still, at least we don't have to put up with those radio exercises anymore!
: Well, yeah, but...

Haru freaks out and starts running in circles.

: No, I don't think many people know about this just yet. I only just found out about it on the underground network...
: Still, they're going to have to cancel the exams at this rate... I'm so happy!

: Oh really? So are you saying that... kids who spend all day on sleazy underground networks will ever grow up to be respectable adults?

:master:

: A-anyway, let's ask around and see if the exam questions really were stolen!
: But who are we going to ask?
: Let's try the teachers in the staff building first! It's their questions that were stolen, after all!

Leroy is riled and ready to go! See you slowpokes later!

: Any other ideas? Thought not. Anyway, I guess I'll come along too.

Alright, before getting into the chapter let's check out our new party members.

(Please ignore the name, there's no flying enemies in this chapter)
Hinako's Friend Skill is Gust, and using it will instantly blow away all flying enemies. Well, it's supposed to. The translation patch makes it so that using it when there's multiple enemies will crash the game, but it won't crash if there's just one enemy. The original Japanese version has no such bug.

Hinako is the first Culture club member of the group, so I start with putting her in Magic (all stats +1)

Haru's Friend Skill is Smoke Bomb, and it will either catch the enemy off-guard and get you a free turn or will allow you to escape.

Haru is our resident Science nerd, so for now I put him in Surgery (heals HP).

There's also a new phone number to get.

: If you see anything suspicious on campus, inform me at once.
: I heard that the Cooking Club's starting work at Sketchy Soup from June. It looks like they're going to put all their study until now into actual practice...

Now it's time to get on with the investigation.

Suspicious. Better remember this for later.

: I even came up with super difficult questions that no one could ever answer... *sniff* The long nights... The hours spent on obscure Internet trivia pages... All wasted!

Sucks to be you, bud. I'm going upstairs.

: But there's got to be some students willing to pay for them...

The WHAT?

: What? Is this true?! ...Gather the men! We'll assemble on the roof of the Central Class Building tonight!
: Sir!

You know what, alright, as long as you understood it.

Also this isn't brought up until later but Kamifukuoka is a substitute teacher.

: Alright! We'll come back here tonight and get the scoop right at the scene!
: This is so exciting!

: Let's head to the roof before they spot us!

: We've gotta find another way.

Here's the guard shutters in question. Video Game Logic dictates that only some hallways are blocked off.

Like this, what is this? Go all the way or don't go at all.

Before Leroy and the gang head to the next building over, there's some business to take care of.

: Let me...take you home.

Daichi please, this isn't the time.

: Of course. Where do you live?

: GAAAAAH!
: She...She...She...She doesn't have a face!
: AAAAAAH!

: *pant* *pant*
: Whew... That was terrifying!
: That reminds me, I did hear rumors about ghosts stalking the campus at night.
: Why didn't you tell us that before?!

Hourai's 7 Mysteries are scattered throughout the game, sometimes hinted at and sometimes not. I'll be showing off all of them.

The second floor is host to the school library.

The story of Hourai High begins with Hourai Preparatory School, founded at the end of the Edo period by Hokita.

It was roughly 70 years ago that Hourai came to Utsuho. It was said that there was conflict with some of the natives at the time.

Eventually, the Hourai campuses scattered all over Japan were consolidate on Utsuho. Overcoming many difficulties, the school continued to grow and develop.

Hourai's continued, unique independent management by its students still draws shock and disbelief from proper schools all over Japan.

Before I head to the roof, let's check out the new enemies.

The Safety She-Wolf is a simple recolor of the Safety Shrew, nothing new to see.

The Gang Girl and Bully are new and a bit more dangerous, and the Bully can sap your GP.

Could it be...?

Yes! The Twilight Penguins!

Wait, what are you...

You know what, go for it. Jump off a building. Follow your dreams.

: They called that guy "Great Leader," right? That means they've gotta be the Twilight Penguins... He must have been the boss of the Penguins!
: No doubt about it. Still... I never expected Kamifukuoka would be the leader of the Twilight Penguins...
: Anyway, let's head to Newtown!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Only Japan could come out with something like this. I'm so glad this game exists :allears:.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, we can just not get involved...

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

...I was not expecting the penguin video to be plot-relevant.

I think I've heard of this game before, or the "school clubs as character classes" concept anyway. Seems to work pretty well!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish the original game was translated because it sounds like my absolute jam.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish the original game was translated because it sounds like my absolute jam.

Same here :allears: Pity to hear this translation is so buggy.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This game looks delightful, and nicely translated too. Gotta love 'pengoons'.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 7 - Surviving midterms

I forgot to mention it last time, but since we have multiple people in our party now, there's one more part of the Friendship system: a character's "Special Person." Almost every character has a Special Person, and if that person falls in battle then the character will become enraged and grow stronger. Leroy's Special Person is simply whoever is given the most FP, with the default being Daichi if everybody has the same amount of FP.

Now, let's get going to Newtown.

BGM: Newtown (Night)

(If you think this theme sounds familiar, it's probably because it sounds like and is very likely the inspiration for one of the Deep Dungeon battle themes from Final Fantasy Tactics)

Newtown has a few new things going for it now that it's night.

The food stands sell Ramen and Miso Ramen, both of which are used to heal HP.

There's also Awahime (Bubble Princess), which sells some... racy equipment and items.

It's also possible to run into enemies at night. The flashing sign in the back reads "Fast - Cheap - Good?"

But we're here for the Mamejima warehouse, so let's head over there.

Or not.

: What's a you-know-what?

: Yeah, that's right! We heard that some... merchandise was coming in tonight.
: Well, that makes things much easier. Come in.

Cool, so you'll just let us in?

Oh, the sewers. Right, I was gonna suggest that...

: All the customers are already there, so be quick. So long!
: Looks like we fooled him into thinking we're here to buy the exam questions too.

Guess we've got no choice.

There's a locked room down here, because obviously you wanna set up your base in the sewers.

Some free stuff, too.

If you travel to the top right, you'll find another entrance/exit.

There's some creepy crawlies down here. The One-Eyed Eel can sap your GP, while the Killer Bat has the annoying ability to call more Killer Bats over.

There's also some Part-Time Penguins lurking about.

Made it. The warehouse is a pretty basic conveyor belt maze, as any warehouse worth its salt should be.

The warehouse is also home to the next level of penguin, the Twilight Penguin. Twilight Penguins can call Part-Time Penguins into battle.

If you leave through the front entrance, you'll have to go back through the sewers to get in again.

Upstairs is a student who can cure us and let us save our game, as we're about to get our big scoop.

: Oh, pretending to be a tough nut to crack, eh?
: Haiya! Evil, freezedoer! Er, I mean... FREEZE, EVILDOER!

: Hospo is here to save the day and undo your evil shady dealings! Prepare your buttocks of vice for a spanking of righteousness!
: Gaah! Get them!

The Pink Penguins (the Twilight Penguins' special force, perhaps?) are a powered-up version of the Twilight Penguins with no special abilities. Daichi's Club level had gone up and he had learned Triple Thrust, effectively tripling his attack power per turn, so Leroy and company made short work of the penguins.

: Oh, give me a break. It was the Twilight Penguins who stole them!
: Of course not! We--

: of the Twilight Penguins, Sagohachi Kamifukuoka! The Public Safety Committee hereby arrests you under suspicion of kidnapping at the Athletics Festival and the theft of the exam questions, in addition to other crimes!

: We only came here to take back our stolen exam questions. The real thief who tried to sell the questions is none other than... Taizou Mamejima, the corrupt owner of Mamejima Logistics!
: Sadly, it seems he's already sold them off to several students.

: Tut, tut... My dear lady, did you really not know who stole the questions? Next time, do your research before you start chasing people around. Farewell.

Kamifukuoka leaps towards the heavens...

...and lands on the other side of the wall.

I see you peeking over there.

: I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Beatrice Kanuma of the Public Safety Committee. You must be those...Hospo people.
: What happened here today must be kept secret. Got it? Then scram!
: Oh, and contact me if anything comes up. Got it?

Beatrice is another novel-original character, appearing in the novel "First Love of Hourai High!" (Hourai Gakuen no Hatsukoi!)

: Ugghh...

: Wait a second! This is a Silver ID Card! Only club and class representatives can get these! He must have used it to steal the exam questions!

: Nice! Now we can get into locked rooms!
: Not so fast. I hear there's also a Gold ID Card that unlocks even more rooms.

But who persuaded the corrupt businessman Taizou Mamejima to steal the the exam questions in the first place? With many mysteries still unsolved, Leroy and the rest of the Hospo team faced the mid-term exams...

LAST GREAT HURDLE BEFORE SUMMER HOLIDAYS: MIDTERM EXAMS BEGIN IN EARNEST

Though there may be a few serious Hourai students, most are infamous for trading in fake sample tests, selling bogus charms and practising their cheating this time of year.

However, despite tight, strict security on the school's part, a scandalous theft of exam papers has taken place! Involved in the case was the head of the Mamejima Group, Taizou Mamejima.

"I was paid to do it! They made me do it! You gotta let me off for that!" squealed Mr Mamejima in a manner not unlike that of a stuck pig. Mr Mamejima claims the person who paid him to do it was a stranger.

The Twilight Penguins, rumoured to be the true culprits, held a press conference today to deny any connection with today's events. The investigation continues.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is all amusingly strange. Already I've got the impression of kind of a Three Stooges Syndrome situation, where things are only not getting worse because the manifold forces that want to mess things up are all getting in each others' way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Man, my anime high school experience was nothing like this. We just got attacked by monsters every season or so and these costumed heroes kept showing up. Good thing too, our Super-Karate club with it's charismatic but troubled leader, studious genius vice president, and constant cast of lovable misfit characters, never seemed to show up and make use of their fighting skills when we needed them. It's like they were never in the same place at the same time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We could have avoided this you silly penguin people

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
:havlat: :gonchar: Oh hey just found out my cousin's going to be posted in Miyazaki for her JET job.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

:havlat: :gonchar: Oh hey just found out my cousin's going to be posted in Miyazaki for her JET job.

That's great! Now she won't have to fight to survive walking across the campus (well, I would hope not).

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 8 - Dorm raid

: Is this how I'm going to spend my holidays, sitting and waiting for something to happen? It's like the world's run out of news.
: I hope something turns up soon, or we're going to have to fill the next issue with cat pictures and hope no one notices again.

Haru to the rescue!

: People have been talking about strange goings-on in the girls' dorm, and--

Daichi jumps up and down in excitement.

: I knew our hard graft would pay off one day! Right, boys! Let's go straight to the scene!
: Yeah, yeah. I know what you're after.
: Quiet, you! So anyway, what's the problem? Things that go bump in the night?
: ...Wait, I've got it! It's a panty thief, right?!

: Yes, please! Let's GO!

BGM: School 1

To the girls' dorm!

I'm already seeing a flaw in our plan

: I hear the Girls' Dorm Patrol is pretty tough...

: It's a sixty-floor building that makes the most of the latest technology! Oh, it's wonderful!

: The GDP is one group you don't want to mess with...

Well this is looking more and more dire. Let's try just going through the front for now.

The boys scurry off.

Since this is Daichi, I have a feeling none of these will end well. Alright, let's try charging.

CHAAA-

-aaarge. Oh.

: But now you'll have to face the elite of the GDP, the Counter-Attack Platoon!
: What the--!?
: Get them!

Oof.

That's right, we can't give up yet. Onto the second plan!

Flawless - until an alarm goes off.

Ah! No, see, ma'am, this is just-

Daichi! Don't just give us away!

: ...Well? What do you have to say for yourselves?
: I...I'll get my coat.

Third time's the charm!

You gotta admit, this does look pretty bad.

Oh no.

At least Leroy didn't crash through a roof this time.

: Don't give up! There's gotta be a way in!

: Oh, thank all that is sacred! It's Hinako! Please! Please! You've got to get us into the girls' dorm somehow! We beg of you!
: ...So you've heard the rumours, then. Oh, fine. Come on, then.

: Sweet!

: It might be dangerous down there, though, so be careful.

Before we infiltrate the girls' dorm, there's a few things to take care of around campus.

First, Leroy has mastered all of the clubs he had joined (noted with a star by the skill names). I sign him up for Archery (guaranteed hit with 2x damage) and Surgery (HP healing).

There's also two new clubs to find and join. The first is the Cooking Club in the Sketchy Soup, as previously mentioned by Rusu.

The next skill doubles the effect of healing items while the last skill makes healing items 75% cheaper "and...?" As far as I can tell, I believe the last skill's hidden effect is that sometimes status effects are healed when you use healing items.

For the other club, I'll have to descend into the dark depths of the murky sewers again. Since I'm armed with a Silver ID Card this time, I can enter the locked clubroom.

: If you know better than to put your faith in modern "common sense," join us!

The next and last skills summon a medium and strong spirit respectively. Hinako joins and, since she's part of the Clockwork Club, she gains the combo technique Lightning Ball.

I would also like to point out that the penguins are still here. You guys know that you can leave, right?

Both Beatrice and Rusu are busy, but we can still call up Mutsumi.

: By the way, did you hear about the Seven Wonders of Hourai? I hear there's one in the boys' dorm and one in the girls' dorm. Imagine what a scoop it'd be to find them!

Time to rest up before heading into the dorm.

Whenever your party rests, there's a chance that somebody will become energized. During battle, all of their stats will be raised and they will be more likely to score critical hits.

Now it's time to brave the GDP, the security measures, and worst of all...

The ugly pink carpet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. This must be pretty different if you're a lady. Or have you got to find a way to sneak the guys in anyhow?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there a limit to how many clubs you can max out?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Glazius posted:

Huh. This must be pretty different if you're a lady. Or have you got to find a way to sneak the guys in anyhow?

The girl side has a completely different scenario involving the boys' dorm which I'll be showing off after the boy side.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there a limit to how many clubs you can max out?

As far as I can tell, nope! I think the most I've done in a game has been about 12 clubs maxed out.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 9 - Technical difficulties

We've successfully infiltrated the girls' dorm, but it's nowhere near over. We entered from below the first floor, so it's time to head up.

Sufficed to say, almost all of the ladies in this building will not follow this advice.

The GDP is out in full-force to get us, though. Their lowest ranks are the Rookie Guards and Guard Girls, the latter of which can inflict Shy.

There's also the GDP Girls as well as Android A. Android A is the more dangerous of the two, as she can hit twice per turn.

Off to the far side of the first floor is an elevator to the 10th floor.

Yes, those are indeed lasers to the left.

There's nothing else on this floor except for items to steal from the girls' drawers, so let's head back.

Time to go up the main staircase instead.

: Yeah, a guard robot charged right into my room the other night! It nearly scared me to death!

You do you, girl.

Up on the next floor...

These are the lasers (or "electric traps") that the girl from earlier eluded to. You can dodge them if you time it right, but the damage is negligible enough that it's easier to just run through them and heal later.

Yeah, I can think of one pervert in this group that wants to check it out.

As one of the girls brings up (and we can see later when playing as Lara), the lasers are always on in the girls' dorm. Why? For what purpose? How do people here survive?

The next floor throws another wrench in our plans.

: Look, the patterns they move in are pretty simple. We can slip by as long as their backs are turned.

I hope you love forced stealth segments.

Luckily, the entire party bunches up together instead of spreading apart like usual.

There's one point of interest on this side of the floor.

: What do you mean?
: I once heard a rumor about a bronze statue in the girls' dorm whose hair grows... Could this be it?!
: Well, let's come check it out after the summer holiday.
: Yeah...

Time to get back on track.

: One of the 7 Mysteries of Hourai is hidden here in the girls' dorm. If you don't go there now, you'll never be able to find all seven. Good luck!

This floor introduces yet another irritant: conveyors, in conjunction with lasers. This sounds more like an evil guy's lair than a school dorm.

Oh, that sounds cool. I'll go check it out-

Right, I'll just have to come back up here later as Lara.

Does it involve a toilet this time?

: Make sure you really want to leave BEFORE you jump, though, because you'll have to come back up from the ground floor once you do.

How high are we up, like forty floors? No problem for Leroy.

See? Lands on his feet, just like a cat.

Now then, we've made it all the way up here so let's see what all the hubbub is about.

: H-hold on! Listen! The computer is--
: Enough! I already know that you're after the computer!
: Yeah, but listen! It's out of control! It's dangerous!
: Silence!

Chihaya has no special skills, but she can still pack a mean punch with an attack that's double what the last boss had. With Daichi's Triple Thrust and Leroy's Aim (a guaranteed 2x attack), she goes down after a few turns.

: Are you OK?!

: Tough...cookies? Who are you, anyway?
: The name's Isaac! I came here from the States to look after my girlfriend Julia! I kept calling the girls' dorm, but Julia was never in...or never picked up.
: I was getting real worried about her, so that's when I decided to sneak in. But security's so tight, I can't find Julia at all... Would you guys let me join you?

Eh, why not.

: If that's the case, then welcome aboard! Nice to meet you!
: Sweet! Thanks, you guys! I owe you one. Julia... I'm coming!

Issac joins the reserve ranks. Those in reserve still earn EXP and club points, and can be switched into battle. Everyone except Leroy can be put into the reserve ranks.

Let's see what Chihaya was keeping us from.

Whoa, mama.

So add slide puzzles to the list of annoying dungeon gimmicks. It's not too bad, but it's still a slide puzzle.

Before entering the bath, there's one thing to take care of.

This is the "hidden floor" that a few of the girls mentioned.

This girl sells a few accessories, but nothing special.

Meanwhile, this lady will let you rest and heal your HP. That's all there is down here, so back up for us.

There's one last enemy up here, the Elite GDPs who are just an upgraded version of the GDP Girls.

After a long trek up, we've made it to our destination.

These guys are the same as the Android As found in the dorm, so they're not too much trouble to take care of.

: Got it!

: Uh... Nice to meet you.

All's well that ends well.

But there was obvious evidence that the computer had been tampered with from the outside. Who stood to gain by throwing the girls' dorm into chaos?

HIGH TECH GIRLS' DORM CONTROL COMPUTER GOES ON RAMPAGE, WITH SEXY RESULTS

Thanks to the intrepid work of Hospo reporters on the scene, the computer chaos was stopped before the situation developed into a genuine disaster. Fortunately, most female students were at home for the holidays, so the incident caused little injury or damage.

The GDP is currently investigating the cause of the malfunction, but reports indicate that it is highly likely someone from the outside hacked into the main computer system. Students are highly concerned following the reported incidents this year, and the need for the high-tech facilities of the girls' dorm is likely to be brought into question.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yes...we just stopped an out of control security system that protects the girl dormitory. This makes sense.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 10 - Test of Courage

Since the boy's version of chapter 4 involves infiltrating the girls' dorm, the girl gets her own version of chapter 4.

BGM: Title

: Oh! I'm sorry. Let me introduce myself. I'm Julia from next door. I'm an all-American girl!
: I thought of that, but let's put it this way: if you're stuck in the boys' dorm, you probably can't afford to eat, much less travel.
: Still... Daichi and Haru live in the boys' dorm too, right?
: Yeah... Lara, looks like we're going to have to go and see them. Coming?
: Sigh... What a pain. The boys' dorm is the LAST place I wanted to spend my summer holiday.

Off to the boys' dorm. Unlike the girls' dorm, no sneaking in is necessary.

: We have no idea what happened to them. So because of all this, everyone got scared and ended up staying outside the dorm...
: I'm not scared at all, of course. But Haru was sobbing and begging me, so--

There's some boys roaming around in and out of the dorms.

I didn't check in here earlier, but there's a tiny dorm in the middle of the field.

He won't be seen again until later, but Miwasaka appeared alongside Beatrice in the novel "First Love of Hourai High!"

Hey!

To get to the haunted dorm in question, we have to travel through two other dorms. Who did they hire to design this place?

: You'll definitely need it to fight non-corporeal ghosts and demons!

Things sound like they're going to get spooky.

This passage (always blocked when playing as a boy) leads to another dorm outside.

: Uh... Who are you?
: My name's Isaac. I came here from the States for my girlfriend Julia! Oh, and might I add that I was drafted for the Major League?
: Anyway, in exchange for helping you investigate the boys' dorm... Can you take me to the girls' dorm afterwards? Security's so tight there, I can't see Julia at all!

You joined once, might as well join again.

: Well, alright then. We'll be counting on you!
: Oh, thank you! Now I can finally see Julia...

Why wait? You can just go see her right now.

Er, Julia? Need some glasses? He's right here. No sequence-breaking for us.

Well, we needed to come back here anyway for one of Hourai's 7 Mysteries. Once Isaac joins your party, all of the floors in the girls' dorm open up.

The patrolling officers on the 30th floor are gone, but you can still run into enemies.

Since we're playing as a girl (and I guess boys can enter the girls' restroom with permission), we can check out the rumored toilet stall on this floor.

Like the house in Newtown, the entrance to the stall is through the wall. The Cinderella Shoes give a huge boost in defense for this part of the game.

That's all there is here, so back to the boys' dorm.

He's not kidding - the entire floor has been cleared out. C'mon guys, they're missing, not dead.

This dungeon is a puzzle based on some very easy guidelines. If both bathroom doors are closed, you go up. If both doors are open, you go down.

If the right door is open, you go right. If the left door is open, you go left. It's pretty simple, but you might go wandering around if you don't know the pattern.

Like the student mentioned, there's some haunted monsters lurking about. The Gargoyle can pack a mean punch, while his red variant (not pictured) can do even more damage. The Cursed Bookcase isn't too much of a problem.

There are Bullies wandering around, as well as Spooky Students. Spooky Students are a pain because they can only be damaged by the Tarot Cards that the boy gave you - any other weapon will do 0 damage.

: I can hear the terrible, ghostly voice of a girl from the other direction... Please, let me out of here!

: B-but... I was so wound up because everyone called me cold and gloomy... I... couldn't move on to the afterlife. I... I've been wandering ever since.
: Some... Something drew me to this place, which is how I ended up here.

: Y-Yes...
: I know! Why don't you join us?
: Thank... Thank you... *sniff*

: So what? Come on! We're going to find the root of all this evil!

Daichi could really stand to learn something from Hinako. Dead, alive, it doesn't matter - we can still all be friends!

After heading through a few more rooms, I go through the final door.

Well, this looks pretty suspect.

The room rumbles and lights flash before...

Plunger Demon AKA Devil can potentially be annoying. He can use Shield to raise his defense which is already pretty high when it comes to physical attacks. Both the Tarot Card as well as Hinako's magic (pictured above) are good ways to take this blue menace down.

A-All's well that ends well?

: So I decided to use magic to summon a sylph and have it send me home. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in the incantations and summoned a demon...

: But now we know all the missing students are safe. Isn't that the important thing?
: Safe? They've been sent off to places like the Himalayas, the Amazon... How are they gonna get back?!

The two embrace and twirl each other around while hearts pop out all around them.

: Uh... Nice to meet you.

But in the meantime, a new plot within the school was being newly hatched...

SUMMER SCORCHER SHOCKER -- BOYS' DORM DISAPPEARANCE MYSTERY

A string of disappearances rocked the boys' dorm this month as the boys suffered in the summer heat, cooped up in the dorm and unable to go home for the summer.

The culprit is believed to be a devil-man summoned by a Grimoire Club member attempting to return home for the summer using magic.

Voices all over the boys' dorm are raising criticism about the Grimoire Club's propensity to use magic for really dumb purposes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So instead of mission impossible we get a haunted house. Okay then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey now. Conveyance is a perfectly acceptable use of magic. Especially since judging by our experience the average plane to Hourai High will take a detour to an arbitrary pole and then push you out the window.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, is Misato girl side exclusive, or is she haunting a different location on the boys route?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Ardeem posted:

So, is Misato girl side exclusive, or is she haunting a different location on the boys route?

Misato is indeed exclusive to the girl side. No cool ghost girls (or boys) for Leroy!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PeaceDiner posted:

Misato is indeed exclusive to the girl side. No cool ghost girls (or boys) for Leroy!

Leroy'll get an exclusive party member down the road at some point then, right? Otherwise it seems to me the girls side of the story gets the upper hand here.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kemix posted:

Leroy'll get an exclusive party member down the road at some point then, right? Otherwise it seems to me the girls side of the story gets the upper hand here.

It seems like the girls' side of the story gets the upper hand everywhere. For instance, the way the guys all live in horrible squalor while the girls are pretty pampered princesses.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Kemix posted:

Nope! Girl's side has one more optional party member than the boy's side. There'll be a later chapter where the character you get depends on if you're playing as a boy or girl, but that's it.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

PeaceDiner posted:

Backwards Snakes.

I don't think we spent enough time appreciating what a good enemy this is.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 11 - None of your Beeswax!

: How about going to see the Star Festival? It's an old festival that takes place in Uchina Village, to the north of the island.
: It's kind of like Tanabata. They're doing preparations today, but the real event's tomorrow.

: Right - once you're all ready to go, we'll meet up here at Frapper's again! I want to make it to Uchina tonight, so don't be late!

There's a few things to take care of before heading out on our excursion, starting with seeing what the word around town is.

: Sigh... Maybe I should join the Twilight Penguins.

Since I'm heading to the main school building, let's see what's going on at the Assembly Hall.

Well, I can't exactly argue with that.

The movie in the projector room has changed, this time showcasing a different school organization.

Patrol Squad vs Musketeers: The Ultimate Battle

There's two new phone numbers to grab, with the first one in the boys' dorm.

The second one is in Newtown.

: From now on, I'm going to work hard to sell the students quality goods at low prices. No, honest! Please, believe me!

Newtown also has a new club we can join.

The second skill cures Meh for the whole party while the last skill makes the user immune to Meh.

One quick stop to make some phone calls...

: Good news! Good news! I finally did it! I'm president of the student council! Thank you for everything!
: I'm busy with Public Safety work! I can't just hang around with you whenever you like!

And let's check out our new party members.

Isaac's Friend Skill causes him to take all damage for one turn, so he's effectively the tank of the party. He starts out in the Baseball club (naturally), so I threw him in the Cheerleading and Soccer club to boost his HP and GP.

Julia's Friend Skill heals all HP and cures all status effects, but drops her HP to zero. She starts the game in the Nursing Club, which is exclusive to her and can heal HP, cure all status effects, and revive fallen party members.

Last but certainly not least, Misato's Friend Skill seals all skills for both sides in combat. She starts off in the Maths Club, which might explain her gloomy demeanor.

With all that out of the way, it's back to Frappers for us.

: Whaaaat?! How are they even going to enforce that?!
: Search me!
: I bet the place is going to be swarming with Public Safety goons.

: We're going there tonight no matter what it takes! Got it?!
: Wow... You're on a mission.
: I'm sorry, did you just say something?
: Uh... Er... No... I just said, "Wow, I love fishin'."

: Great! Star Festival, here we come!

: Yeah. Let's go and check it out.

The garden in question is through these trees. The first time I played this game, I didn't realize that you had to press the A button to enter and so I spent a good five minutes running around trying to find the entrance.

A few seconds later...

: ...Looks like he's gone.
: Good. Let's bust through here so that they don't find us.
: Their patterns are actually pretty simple. We can make it through when their backs are turned. Everyone, stay together!

Hooray for more forced stealth sections! Well, if you're playing the girl's side then it's the first one.

Still pretty simple even if there's quite a number of Public Safety goons roaming about.

: Whew... Thank goodness that's over. C'mon, let's hurry westwards to Uchina!

The area near Uchina is teeming with new enemies, including some boring recolors.

The Dire Dragonflies are by far the most dangerous. Not only are they strong, but they always appear in groups of three or five. I got my first KO of the game from them.

The less dangerous of the dragonflies are the Utsuho Dragonflies, which aren't as strong and appear in lesser numbers. Also appearing in lesser numbers are the Burly Bovines, who can hit hard and cause Pheromone.

Killer Bees are more of an annoyance than anything. They can cause your party members to become dopey and less likely to attack, leading to a situation where you're unable to do anything.

Though they aren't exclusive to this area, this is the first time I ran into a Ghost Train. Ghost Trains appear when you walk on the railways and can only be damaged by club skills. Hinako sent out her Jar Spirit to attack it.

To the north is another point of interest - the Hachirou Shrine (literally "Beeswax Shrine").

First, there's a club to be joined. The second skill cures Sick for the whole party while the last skill makes the user immune to Sick.

Combining it with Cooking also gets Haru a combo technique and his first offensive skill.

The second thing to see here is much more annoying. There's a rumor that offering 100G to the shrine will get you something special...so you must put 1G into the offering box at a time, walk down to the gate, and then walk back up to the offering box to put in another 1G. One hundred times.

50 trips up and down the stairs later...

: You've successfully completed the Hundred Offerings. Truly did I never expect anyone would actually waste their time on such a stupid thing.
: I mean, come on, guys. Do you think that makes me happy? Really? It makes me dizzy if anything.
: Look, how about this -- I'll give you a reward if you go away and never bother me again.

Cardboard's never let me down, so let's go with cardboard!

> Got Cat Doll!
> Got Bunny Shoes!

The lacquer box gets you the weapon Crab Claw instead of the three pieces of armor the cardboard box gets you.

Well that was exceedingly fun. Let's finally head over to Uchina.

BGM: Newtown (Day)

: It'll be her job to go to Yumi Island in the northwest and make an offering at the shrine there.

Probably some mess that Hospo will have to clean up.

: It hasn't been observed for a while, but it was restarted last year.

Don't mess with chickens, man.

This house looks sufficiently "village chief," so this is probably the place we want.

: Without the prayer book, I'm afraid there'll be no Star Festival this year. Who would do such a thing?
: Don't worry, sir. We'll get that prayer book back for you!
: What? Truly? Oh, you really are Hourai students! I'm counting on you!
: However, it's too late to go tonight... Please rest at the Uchina Arms before you continue. I'll have the tunnel to Sute Village opened for you by tomorrow morning.

I'll take you up on that. See you tomorrow, village chief!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

If this game was a TV series, this would be the point where the sound track went "Dun-DUN-DUUUUHHHHHHHHH".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing cardboard is better since you have to shuffle so many items around so many dudes?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I'm guessing cardboard is better since you have to shuffle so many items around so many dudes?

Personally, yeah. The Crab Claw is pretty powerful for this early in the game, but the three armor pieces are still a better choice. Also I believe that you have to do all 100 offerings during the same session so if you don't like what you got then too bad, either suck it up or do it all over again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How many clubs are available to join?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many clubs are available to join?

There's 32 to join. Julia and one other character have a club exclusive to them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, it actually pays off if you do it a hundred times. Then again, it's probably a lot easier with a game controller than your actual legs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PeaceDiner posted:

Personally, yeah. The Crab Claw is pretty powerful for this early in the game, but the three armor pieces are still a better choice. Also I believe that you have to do all 100 offerings during the same session so if you don't like what you got then too bad, either suck it up or do it all over again.

But the game is bugged so equipment doesn't do anything in battle, making it all a wash, right?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

But the game is bugged so equipment doesn't do anything in battle, making it all a wash, right?

Ah, that's true. I'm used to talking about this game as if it functioned completely correctly, I guess.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You should probably add that little detail to the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You should probably add that little detail to the update.

It's been edited into the third update, where I first say something about equipment.

• Locked thread