Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MrSlam posted:

It's not exactly :filez: but if you're watching it on Youtube then you probably wouldn't feel bad about watching it on a streaming site.

WatchCartoonOnline for instance has all the episodes.

Alright,thanks. Speaking of streaming sites,is the Netflix Dragons show any good? My mom is obsessed with that kinda stuff and won't shut up about it.

Edit: I admit,I liked the original TV run of the show. Especially the episodes with MARK HAMILL in them.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FilthyImp posted:

You didn't notice the year-and-a-half hiatus between season one and two?

Watching that show was pretty painful, but the great animation and story made it so worth it. Shame that it burned out Hirsch while doing so.

I start watching until the first season was basically over and didn't watch it again until last week.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Alright,thanks. Speaking of streaming sites,is the Netflix Dragons show any good? My mom is obsessed with that kinda stuff and won't shut up about it.

Edit: I admit,I liked the original TV run of the show. Especially the episodes with MARK HAMILL in them.
If you liked the original TV show, you will probably like its sequel. They really push Dagur and Heather and have a lot more fun with their own creations.

Alvin was fun, but David Faustino as Dagur the Deranged has been, and always will be, funnier. Back then, the contrast between his two biggest voice-acting roles (Dagur and Mako from the Legend of Korra) was really fun!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The season 2 premiere of Star Vs. the Forces of Evil aired today. It's a great show that I didn't give a fair shake at first because it looked a bit too twee for my tastes but has pleasantly surprised me with its quality. One of the new episodes that aired today was a cool sort of "redemption" of a joke character that had lots of silence and focus on the natural setting that all felt very Samurai Jack-ish.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Between the unicorn in Star's wand going feral (that puts a bummer on this specific Deus Ex Machina) and Ludo finding a new wand built around the broken half of Star's wand, they're setting up some spooky things for that season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kinda curious how Ludo intends to use the wand now that he has one. He's obviously a lot wiser and more self reliant than he was, so will that effect his initial plan to get a bigger body and start randomly wrecking poo poo?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,thank God. I thought that I was the only person who liked the MiB show. I liked it because I thought some of the alien designs were pretty cool,and I loved K and J's banter. I also thought Alpha was a pretty neat villain-grafting alien parts to himself,until he barely looks human.

They also managed to do a lot with only two movies. I came around the time when the strangest films were made into children's cartoons, y'know, stuff they would have seen like Rambo, Stargate or Robocop, and usually even they have their failings because there's this PG-7 barrier they can't go over to get into the stuff that was cool to the kids. But not MiB: The Series. I mean they of course had loop holes like freaky alien weapons and creatures you could blow their head off because it easily grew back, but it played off conspiracy theory stuff way over my head at the time while smirking like a bastard carrying the right tone of self-aware sarcastic humor. Which was set by Kay being voiced by Gregg Berger or Cornfed from Duckman.

It was also has one of the only good Christmas episodes I can remember pre 21st century as even when Elves, celebrities and everything else were aliens, His Majesty, Saint Nicholas, was a magical earthling that superseded government authority and the MIB were duty bound to aid him over their own mission. Because he's Santa Claus, he's been taken hostage and we're going to make sure he gets presents to people and Save Christmas.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite thing about Jackie Chan adventures was the interview segment early on where Jackie admitted that he always wanted to be a cartoon character to be able to do ridiculous stunts that were physically impossible in real life. Then he got money and decided "gently caress it! Let's be cartoons!" :3: And the show was actually interesting and funny for right up until the poor final season, but at least everything up until Shendu's son was cool. I liked Tarakudo for the continuity and I liked the idea that Uncle had to step down as the family shaman and allow Toru to step forth because he knew very little about Tarakudo as he was a Japanese demon and he was versed mainly in Chinese mythology. Also it was cool seeing the different types of Shadowkhan.

The show had to run out of steam sometime. I'm just glad Jackie had fun with it and apparently the dude who did him in the toon is still doing work, but they were going to burn out sooner or later so at least they took the highroad and ended it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Teaser art for the new Ducktales:

Have we known who is working on this? Either way I just found out now and it sounds like a solid staff so far.

From here:
https://d23.com/ducktales-news-that-makes-you-say-woo-oo/?share_token=2781716f7b

quote:

Scrooge McDuck, grandnephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and Donald Duck will, of course, star in the new series, which will be executive-produced by Annie Award nominee Matt Youngberg (Ben 10: Omniverse). Rounding out the creative team are story editor and co-producer Francisco Angones (Disney XD’s Emmy®-nominated Wander Over Yonder) and art director Sean Jimenez (Disney XD’s Annie Award-winning Gravity Falls).

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Emmy Cicieregia is storyboarding for Ducktales, which implies at least some of the Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder teams, as mentioned in that press release, transitioned over to the new show.

Art design looks great. Disney TV animation has been on the rise. I'm on board.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks good, and it seems like Donald is going to have a larger role in this one than he did in the original (where I believe he showed up in a few episodes early on, then dissapeared entirely later in the show's run). Do we know anything about the new voice cast yet? I'm assuming Tony Anselmo will continue to voice Donald, not sure if they'll recast the triplets though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It looks like they're going to try to differentiate the three ducklings. It seems wrong to make the green one's thing greed, because that's Scrooge's schtick.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That duck tales art style is on point

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm liking the art style too. Another notable name behind the new Ducktales: John Aoshima, who's directed a bunch of episodes of Gravity Falls.

Also, Frank Angones has an amusing blog post about his own passion for Ducktales:
http://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/147707786341/here-in-duckburg

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 21, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope they dedicate the first episode if not whole show to Alan Young.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Speaking of Gravity Falls, Hirsch seems to be running some sort of ARG centered around the Bill Cipher statue at the end of the series.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Man, they really took Legend of Korra in a different direction for the new season. Varrick being a blond Australian takes some getting used to, and the Avatar Form manifesting as a giant robot was an... interesting decision, but at least good old Bolin hasn't changed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

The season 2 premiere of Star Vs. the Forces of Evil aired today. It's a great show that I didn't give a fair shake at first because it looked a bit too twee for my tastes but has pleasantly surprised me with its quality. One of the new episodes that aired today was a cool sort of "redemption" of a joke character that had lots of silence and focus on the natural setting that all felt very Samurai Jack-ish.

When they switched from Mercury Filmworks to Toon City Animation the drop in quality was enough to ruin the series for me. I was seriously bummed out. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season because, while not as good as the first half of the first season, it's an improvement over the second half.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
The second part of Star's first season holds some of my favorite episodes.

So far, I like season 2 but I'm kind of afraid that the focus is being shifted away from Star. She was the star in the first episode, but then Ludo was the star of the second one and Star was relegated to the B-plot for episode 3 and 4, with Marco leading the important parts of the episode.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Applewhite posted:

When they switched from Mercury Filmworks to Toon City Animation the drop in quality was enough to ruin the series for me. I was seriously bummed out. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season because, while not as good as the first half of the first season, it's an improvement over the second half.

The writing on the 2nd half is a bet better than the first, I feel (though yeah, it got jarring after they stopped exclusivity using Mercury, though I'm pretty sure they used both studios instead of a full blown switch). This season it animated at the old reliable but not amazing Rough Draft Korea, (along with some other korean studio)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Rewatching the finale of season 1, I just realized that the rock and the bone from which Ludo's new wand is created were already beside the cleaved piece at the end of season 1.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Really good first part to the latest episode, but I found the second part boring. Glossaryck continues to be hilarious and Oskar is almost certainly confirmed to be some sort of hippie/hobo who lives in his car. And apparently lives in random people's driveways.

Excited for next week's episode and Ludo's first experience with his evil wand.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I didn't watch every episode of Star season 1, but the only one that struck me as having low animation quality was Royal Pain. It's very obviously got more Flash-y tween motions vibe that anything else I saw. And it aired next to Freeze Day, which was a lot more dynamic-looking.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Anyone else notice the lack of background music for a lot of Star VS episodes? Sometimes it fits but a lot of the time it feels kinda weird. Cartoons have had me so trained to listen for incidental music that it's a little jarring when you suddenly don't hear it at all.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I didn't watch every episode of Star season 1, but the only one that struck me as having low animation quality was Royal Pain. It's very obviously got more Flash-y tween motions vibe that anything else I saw. And it aired next to Freeze Day, which was a lot more dynamic-looking.
Plus Freeze Day was one of the best episodes of season 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Out of nowhere, Supernoobs is back on Cartoon Network today.

Why? I thought we were done with the devil Fellows and the Canadian handmedowns!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Wow, I forgot that show existed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

everyone posted:

Wow, I forgot that show existed.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I watched it for about a minute because I was waiting for 'We Bare Bears' to come on and within that minute I could instantly tell it's one of those awful Canadian imports. Art style and sound effects were straight out of 'Johnny Test.' Come on, CN, get your poo poo together.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FELD1 posted:

I watched it for about a minute because I was waiting for 'We Bare Bears' to come on and within that minute I could instantly tell it's one of those awful Canadian imports. Art style and sound effects were straight out of 'Johnny Test.' Come on, CN, get your poo poo together.

Same creator

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MrSlam posted:

Anyone else notice the lack of background music for a lot of Star VS episodes? Sometimes it fits but a lot of the time it feels kinda weird. Cartoons have had me so trained to listen for incidental music that it's a little jarring when you suddenly don't hear it at all.

YES! Very much so. It was really really jarring in the field trip episode. It's like they just stopped the music about halfway through and it really disrupted the episode, IMO. That was also one of the first ones where I noticed a measurable decline in art and animation quality.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is We Bare Bears getting another full week of new episodes like Steven Universe or are they going back to once a week after this? Good to see them back regardless. Catchiest theme song in all of TV.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Applewhite posted:

YES! Very much so. It was really really jarring in the field trip episode. It's like they just stopped the music about halfway through and it really disrupted the episode, IMO. That was also one of the first ones where I noticed a measurable decline in art and animation quality.

I noticed the drop in animation too. I wonder if it was a budget thing or a time-crunch thing?

Y-Hat posted:

Is We Bare Bears getting another full week of new episodes like Steven Universe or are they going back to once a week after this? Good to see them back regardless. Catchiest theme song in all of TV.

Da da dabbada dat dat dadabbadabba OOOOHHHH SNAP We'll Be Bears. A wink and a smile and a pinch for a time. We'll Be Bears. Wherever we are there's a fun to be found, We'll be there when tent that quanitity, up jump the boogie, with a great big lovin' smile, We'll Be There

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MrSlam posted:

I noticed the drop in animation too. I wonder if it was a budget thing or a time-crunch thing?

Change up in animation studios (the good animation is from the Canadian Mercury Filmworks, the sucky animation is from the Fillipino Toon City). Season 2 uses a completely different pair of studios (both Korean) that produce serviceable (but not Mercury Filmworks quality) animation: Rough Draft Korea and Sugarcube

E: oh god who gave me this avatar (I'm not complaining but still)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I still think the Wander Over Yonder theme song is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7wqrlz_Wc

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

I still think the Wander Over Yonder theme song is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7wqrlz_Wc

I love that the entire opening sequence is dedicated to showing that the show is apparently about the exact same thing happening over and over against a different backdrop.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, next week is all new Gumballs every day at 5pm est. The ad make it look like it's gonna be a pretty amazing week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

David Cross was the voice of the director in The Audition episode of We Bare Bears. I knew I sensed some Tobias Funke....

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

axleblaze posted:

Just a heads up, next week is all new Gumballs every day at 5pm est. The ad make it look like it's gonna be a pretty amazing week.

First Summer of Steven, now Summer of Gumball! Man they are spoiling us.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Y-Hat posted:

David Cross was the voice of the director in The Audition episode of We Bare Bears. I knew I sensed some Tobias Funke....

Did the Bears have the goods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I love that the entire opening sequence is dedicated to showing that the show is apparently about the exact same thing happening over and over against a different backdrop.

I just like how they slipped in an alien from the old Disney Mars and Beyond.