Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

It was never about the money for me. I want to play this game. It's concept is so appealing - it's a friggin MMO... in SPACE. I'd be upset that I cannot play that.

You have a better chance of getting your game if you start demanding accountability from CIG.

The fact that they plan on maintaining the current state of silence all the way until CitizenCon is ludicrous. But the backers are too busy making sure CIG's feelings aren't hurt to tell them to stop loving around. Your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

It was never about the money for me. I want to play this game. It's concept is so appealing - it's a friggin MMO... in SPACE. I'd be upset that I cannot play that.

I hope you see the writing on the wall before it all comes tumbling down so you can have a bit of fun mocking the whole mess with the rest of us.

We're all irritated as hell that we can't play the game, but before SC gives up the ghost it looks like there will be a bunch of other similar games actually getting released. If nothing else, SC has proven that there's a lot of money in grand space games.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wafflz posted:

yes to everything isn't visionary

chris roberts is no more visionary than your average 8 year old.

He also articulates himself on a similar level.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nobody can take that away from CIG, the concept really is incredibly ambitious, due to promising everything to everyone. However the game just happens to be unfixable broken poo poo while the company is run by someone who'd rather be making movies.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Jennison letter is like one of those movies you catch on TV and just watch the whole thing even though you weren't planning to. It's just such a thorough own that I can't pass it up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Decrepus posted:

He also articulates himself on a similar level.

I've seen 8-year-olds make plans and follow them. Much unlike Chris.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tippis posted:

I've seen 8-year-olds make plans and follow them. Much unlike Chris.

Not to mention 8-year-olds that know how to operate a computer.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not Toast.

I bought that pack because I sold my previous LTI Caterpillar. This is a better deal as it includes the dragonflies.

i'm sorry to break this to you, but it's not. one pack of jpegs is as equally lovely of a deal as another pack of jpegs

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

This is a better deal

not if you cant fly anything anyways

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wafflz posted:

The Jennison letter is like one of those movies you catch on TV and just watch the whole thing even though you weren't planning to. It's just such a thorough own that I can't pass it up.

it is the goodfellas of mocking star citizen

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ManofManyAliases posted:

Tiresome. Five years in. It isn't a game. I'm not sure what to call it: a tech demo, a lovely unfinished cryengine mod.

You don't want to play THIS game. You want to play Chris Roberts dream. Chris Roberts dream isn't a game. He is a lovely game developer, and every game he's made has been overhyped and under-developed. Yes, Wing Commander was good. That doesn't mean everything Chris Roberts touches turns to gold. In fact, quite the opposite.

Don't worry MOMA, I can help.

Step One: You're gonna need a poo poo load of drugs. Heroin, Coke, maybe some Acid or DMT.

Step Two: Take all the drugs.

Step Three: Watch this video on repeat for about 8 hours or until you go into shock/start to come down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Step Four: Congratulations! You just played Star Citizen. That's it. That's the whole game. You get to keep that memory in the tiny imaginarium of your brain for life.

Step Five: Get a refund to pay for all the drugs you bought.

Step Six: Wait another two years and be able to laugh at all the idiots who still say "I don't care how long it takes. Chris Roberts is just crafting me a 5 star meal and I don't want to rush it or it won't be the best meal I've ever had."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Achamp posted:

Tiresome. Five years in. It isn't a game. I'm not sure what to call it: a tech demo, a lovely unfinished cryengine mod.

You don't want to play THIS game. You want to play Chris Roberts dream. Chris Roberts dream isn't a game. He is a lovely game developer, and every game he's made has been overhyped and under-developed. Yes, Wing Commander was good. That doesn't mean everything Chris Roberts touches turns to gold. In fact, quite the opposite.

Don't worry MOMA, I can help.

Step One: You're gonna need a poo poo load of drugs. Heroin, Coke, maybe some Acid or DMT.

Step Two: Take all the drugs.

Step Three: Watch this video on repeat for about 8 hours or until you go into shock/start to come down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

Step Four: Congratulations! You just played Star Citizen. That's it. That's the whole game. You get to keep that memory in the tiny imaginarium of your brain for life.

Step Five: Get a refund to pay for all the drugs you bought.

Step Six: Wait another two years and be able to laugh at all the idiots who still say "I don't care how long it takes. Chris Roberts is just crafting me a 5 star meal and I don't want to rush it or it won't be the best meal I've ever had."

Contrast that poo poo with ED alpha bids for the best :laugh: of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey22m463104

An alpha that is playable and resembles a game? :monocle:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

This can be a win-win for you! First, Star Citizen was and never is going to be an MMO. A GTA Online experience seasoned with a bit of MGSV Online is more in line with the vision, would you agree? Not that, that is a bad thing. Just the opposite. It is great news for all of us super excited about what Chris Roberts sold back in 2012. Our voices were heard loud and clear. We will have our game on November 4th, 2016!

That is why you should get your refund now. $60 is all you need to play the game. I think the collector's edition is $200. Get your $4,000 refund and then go get yourself two collector's editions and another 60 of the regular edition. You can keep one of the collector's edition, send me the other one, and give all effort posters in this thread one of the regular editions. It is just disposable income after all.

Not only do you get to play the space game of your dreams but you'll have spread more happiness than Sandi with a box of donuts.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I don't understand the "I can afford to waste X thousand dollars, so I don't care that the game is buggy poo poo and my headless commando falls through the floor of my precious ship" posturing.

I bought a hot dog today, and it was bad, so I got my $3 back. I can afford to waste $3, but why should I? I was giving a dude money in exchange for a hot dog, and the hot dog was inedible, so I told the dude I needed my $3 back and he gave it to me. I didn't have to write to the Attorney General or anything.

If you really have thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket, give it to organizations that feed the hungry or provide clean water or something. Don't fund Chris Roberts's ludicrous toupee collection or Sandi Gardiner's Botox addiction.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey true believers, you gonna have to lay down some goals for the project so that when they aren't met you can let yourself be disappointed instead of doubling down on your sunk cost. Its ok to doubt a project thats being badly managed. The process a lot of goons went through when they were in a similar stage as you guys wasn't sudden. It was a slow realization that goals weren't being met, that everyone in a management position was a loving clown and that the size of the project kept growing despite their lack of progress in any of their areas.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't understand the "I can afford to waste X thousand dollars, so I don't care that the game is buggy poo poo and my headless commando falls through the floor of my precious ship" posturing.

its cause they have to justify to themselves that they spent thousands of dollars on a dream with nothing to show for it but a demo. they're just making themselves feel better.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll tell you this: if it turns out that CIG doesn't deliver, that they lied, no game, nothing's good, etc. and all of this was for naught, I'll unleash a hellish fury that would make even Derek Smart blush. I really want this game to be made. I believe it will be made. I even believe it could be good, which is why I bought in early. This is something I never did before, so to me - it was a gamble. But I will be pretty upset if it goes tits-up.
Nothing to it, just gonna bookmark this post for myself.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm calling the progression after the company folds as this

1- Community fractures as the people with any semblance of reason move on to better pastures separate from the people who can't let the dream die
2- Petitions started to get the "Secret Dev Build" or whatever they think exists, or at least the assets (People might take up donations or try to buy the rights outright)
3- This step Isn't affected by whether they get the assets or don't, they will just form their own community group to try and make the dream happen
4- There will be widespread relief among the most delusional that sit back and read about all the real progress the wesha's and zecumbes are now making toward the dream
5- Specially designed to ease their doubts they'll "Right the Wrongs" and have a design document and patch notes and "Actual Open Development" and do things specifically opposite of the most critical things RSI/CIG did, just to add extra relief to the scared and hurt backers. "THAT dream was dead, but THIS time THE DREAM IS REAL"

6- Years go by with infighting / irregular updates to the dream. Basically people like Ben being desperately obsessed with Wing Commander just about Star Citizen. Big fish in small ponds as mega whales and personalities rise up out of the last pool of however many dwindling amount of backers can't let go (5,000? 1,000? 500?) and have huge, incestuous, insular slapfights over whether or not Ship X should have Y Stats or Z Stats.

7- At some point they might "release" a heavily modded "Star Citizen 2.0" which is just the PU with some decent changes but nothing else
8- If they find servers to host this, or take up a drive to fund the hosting of the servers for The Dream, eventually it will all fade into obscurity as donations stop and each delusional person takes different amounts of time (sometimes years) to accept reality

9- For the rest of peoples lives (Mega Whales) They will tell anyone who will listen about the dream that almost was reality

Intermix in there different backers modding other games to try and make a Star Citizen or starting projects from scratch to mimic CIG/RSIs work, almost none of those will go anywhere as any of them that actually have legs will transform into an actual game that people would want to play, so you might play some kickass first person fantasy game with crazy parkour mechanics and it will just be a bit of interesting trivia is that it started as a fanmade Star Citizen mod and is only tangentially related to it once the makers capitalized on whatever part of their project that had legs (Their management, their work ethic, some mechanics they designed or ability they possess) Which has zero to do with the bland, uninspired and idiotic universe that was Star Citizen or the biggest scam in gaming history which is the only thing anyone remembers it for.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. I can (due to head trauma as a child) more or less follow what Chris Roberts wants out of this project - I'm on board for everything he's described. But wanting it really really badly doesn't give Chris the ability to make it. If I really really really want a red Corvette, I'm not going to pay some guy who just stole copper coil out of someone's AC compressor and who has a "sure thing on some iron ore" my money to build it for me. This is kinda the same thing. Chris never, ever had the ability to make this game a reality. He only had the ability to imagine it. poo poo, I imagined it. You imagined it. We ALL imagined it. It's Chris who can't make it - that's the huge disconnect here. I'm confident that one day the game we're all thinking of WILL come out - it's long, long overdue to be honest. But it is not this day, and it is not this game. If anything, CIG is hurting the prospects of someone else making the attempt. Hopefully I'm wrong on that front.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Contrast that poo poo with ED alpha bids for the best :laugh: of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey22m463104

An alpha that is playable and resembles a game? :monocle:

For one thing, let's not confuse the issue. You're talking about, A GAME.

MOMA and I are talking about, A DREAM. That's the difference.

I did chuckle at the fact that the pitch video was released in 2012 and they threw up the "THIS IS ACTUAL IN ENGINE FOOTAGE".

How can you not laugh at that 4 years later? That ship? Not playable in game. Most of that animation of people running around and ships landing and leaving without being janky as gently caress. Not in game. Again, that's why Star Citizen was and is just a dream.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
And to reiterate, I will stop mocking Star Citizen, CIG, RSI, and whatever else for bribe money.

Sandi, call me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

moma would you be willing to debate derek via discord and have it recorded? i feel like if you had to verbalize your cig defense you would feel incredibly embarrassed.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Google Butt posted:

moma would you be willing to debate derek via discord and have it recorded? i feel like if you had to verbalize your cig defense you would feel incredibly embarrassed.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
For an even 4000 dollars (momas investment) i will never make another post about SC and will put a halt to my web of reddit trolls. Will sign an nda and everything. PM me im serious.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Google Butt posted:

Using this as a reminder, the streamer that hosted Streetroller vs Astropub with a modest audience (600-1000) said he would host a debate between Derek Smart and any backers whenever "The next update was released for Star Citizen" then he asked when the next update was and the chat started laughing.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Google Butt posted:

all of moma's defense will be "chris robert said, promised, maybe we might get, in the future, when its released, etc"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Turd Burglar posted:

all of moma's defense will be "chris robert said, promised, maybe we might get, in the future, when its released, etc"

thats fine. its really easy to type this stuff out, but verbalizing it might make him realize how dumb it is. i think it would be interesting.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

You know, I'll bet that the easiest way to get your money back if you haven't logged in to the game since the new TOS would be, instead, to demand the financials. I'll bet they would just refund you immediately instead. Asking for the money back seems to require the AG, whereas demanding their own offer would probably result in an immediate turn around. Has anyone tried this?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Nicholas posted:

i want a #DSWR bumpter sticker for my car

same

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turd Burglar posted:

That's enough for some people.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

That's enough for some people.

Hell I'm sold

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hey true believers, you gonna have to lay down some goals for the project so that when they aren't met you can let yourself be disappointed instead of doubling down on your sunk cost. Its ok to doubt a project thats being badly managed. The process a lot of goons went through when they were in a similar stage as you guys wasn't sudden. It was a slow realization that goals weren't being met, that everyone in a management position was a loving clown and that the size of the project kept growing despite their lack of progress in any of their areas.

This is a good exercise.

Moma, can you list what you expect in the final release of the game, and set a date when you think you should receive this final release?

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

Google Butt posted:

:bravo:

This is an amazing idea. Youtube debate moderated by a neutral party like that guy Habeeb who interviewed Derek before. That guy would probably do it and it would get more hits than pretty much anything on the topic of SC in months outside of the scandals.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll tell you this: if it turns out that CIG doesn't deliver, that they lied, no game, nothing's good, etc. and all of this was for naught, I'll unleash a hellish fury that would make even Derek Smart blush. I really want this game to be made. I believe it will be made. I even believe it could be good, which is why I bought in early. This is something I never did before, so to me - it was a gamble. But I will be pretty upset if it goes tits-up.

MoMA, shitposter to shitposter, get a refund. You can buy back in if the game comes out and is good. Even your 8 grand (:lol:) won't make one bit of difference to the success or failure of this project. Save yourself. When the writing is on the wall every fucker will want a refund so you'll be standing in a long long queue to get anything back.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
MoMA is Lowtax. He's loving with Dereck Smart because that's what Lowtax has always loved to do.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Achamp posted:

This is an amazing idea. Youtube debate moderated by a neutral party like that guy Habeeb who interviewed Derek before. That guy would probably do it and it would get more hits than pretty much anything on the topic of SC in months outside of the scandals.

He would never do that.

MoMa would only do a similar thing if the got send the questions a week in advance and could choose which to answers (you know, like when politicians get interviewed).

Then again, making him face off against Derek would be quite harsh, as I don't think Derek could join in a level headed discussion regarding this without "LET ME loving FINISH"-actions going on. But I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TerraGoetia posted:

MoMA is Lowtax. He's loving with Dereck Smart because that's what Lowtax has always loved to do.

This makes the most sense so far.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is my realistic wish list for the next big update:

No, I got nothing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Achamp posted:

I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Backers should be putting Chris Roberts on the spot, not Derek.

Chris Roberts seems to be strangely absent from the shitstorm surrounding his project right now.

• Locked thread