Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The hardest part of the tutorial was trying to read all the directions properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

NecroMonster posted:

cancelling specials into supers?

Yeah, I don't know why I can't manage it, I've never had this problem in other games I've played.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I don't know why I can't manage it, I've never had this problem in other games I've played.

there is a trick to this. when special and super inputs overlap (for instance your special is 236(quarter circle down to forward) and your super is 236236(quarter circle down to forward twice), you can actually consider your special input as the first half of your super input. in the case of dragon punch inputs (623) you can do the input as 6236 instead (the special move will still come out as a dragon punch) and that will still count as half of your super input.

so, in the tutorial you do 6236HP236HP (with no delays in this anywhere) and it'll happen easy 100% of the time.

now, obviously, if the special move and super move's inputs don't overlap, it's much harder.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

NecroMonster posted:

there is a trick to this.

I did sort of try this (the instructor mentions it) but I probably just wasn't doing it fast enough. I don't find the ds4's pad particularly comfortable on my delicate and willowy hands and i only have a ps3 stick and also I was probably just doing it wrong.

what little I've played of the demo seems fun though! The graphics seem better than the videos made them appear to be, and it still feels like a kof game.

Edit: okay now I did it on the first try

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the ps4 d-pad is a thing from hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RichterIX posted:

The KoF14 demo seems fun but I can't do the first cancelling tutorial -_-

The different levels of super are kind of hard to keep track of for a beginner too! It's probably nothing for someone with a brain for this kind of stuff, but it seems like there are lots of ways to burn different amounts of meter.

You just need to find it written down in a way that suits you and practice what is optimal and achievable for you.

The tutorial shows you things out of context with no practice stringing things together. Youll get it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/thisislijoe/status/755807226149863424
:iiam:
https://twitter.com/redbullesports/status/755814441254465536
:ms: EDIT: :iiaca:

Makes sense considering Joe already has a prior relationship with the RB guys; would be cool to see him sponsored and going to more tournaments as a result

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
big corporate sponsorship would kill smalltown business joe. i approved of brazzers but that was only for the longterm decline in esports that would follow

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

joe getting a sponsor would be good

joe playing a better game would be better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want long island joe's dad to watch him play dengeki bunko fighting climax

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

joe and his dad should be season 2 characters

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NecroMonster posted:

joe getting a sponsor would be good

joe playing a better game would be better

Nah he probably hates Guilty Gear.

VVV :thejoke:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 20, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

Nah he probably hates Guilty Gear.

lol

e the joke being that li joe plays gg and even plays zato, notoriously tryhard character

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So what's the hold up, why isn't he RB LI Joe already?

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

let's go Rong Bisland Joe

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Now that street fighter is on espn, what fighting game will be on a real tv channel

I'm betting kof on univision deportes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

Now that street fighter is on espn, what fighting game will be on a real tv channel

jam and kum on food network

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Smash Bros. on Cartoon Network or Disney XD

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Smash Bros. on Cartoon Network or Disney XD

I wanna Smash Brothers cartoon where they use "Smash Brother" as a proper noun like what the American Street Fighter cartoon did.

LI Joe probably hasn't played GG in a while with all the time invested into EVO, but I do remember watching his Zato on stream destroying the waves and waves of lovely Mays that seem to fill the East Coast.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

mkx was on cw a little while ago

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Is everyone free next Wednesday (7/27) at 10pm EST to play some drat KOF98

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

bad metaphors posted:

Is everyone free next Wednesday (7/27) at 10pm EST to play some drat KOF98

Sure. Can anyone tell me what all the different modes mean? Should I pick advanced?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mad Lupine posted:

Sure. Can anyone tell me what all the different modes mean? Should I pick advanced?

if you don't know what to use, use advanced. extra only works for certain team comps

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Technically we got SF4 in two times on Globo, just no tournaments.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
watch someone play iori/daimon/o. chris and make all the new players just instantly hate kof98

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I recently purchased a Seimitsu LS-56 during a recent sale in order to try it out for fighting games and shoot 'em ups but find my characters sort of sliding hard towards the left or right if I hold my in either direction, but only if it's for a brief second. I seem to be able to stop my ship/figher normally if I move it back to neutral after moving around for several seconds though. Is this normal considering the stick has a shorter throw or did I receive a faulty unit?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/bloomblue9264/status/755782495837179908

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

:yeah:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I don't know what I expected and I'm not sure why it wasn't that :lol:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Glad to see Taskmaster getting work these days

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Is that our AMERICAN BALD SHOOTING GUY Harada promised? Not as bald as I figured.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Commissar Ken posted:

Is that our AMERICAN BALD SHOOTING GUY Harada promised? Not as bald as I figured.

Not very American looking, either. Why, there's not even a trace of blonde hair on him.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

General Morden posted:

watch someone play iori/daimon/o. chris and make all the new players just instantly hate kof98

This is almost tabs' team

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

I recently purchased a Seimitsu LS-56 during a recent sale in order to try it out for fighting games and shoot 'em ups but find my characters sort of sliding hard towards the left or right if I hold my in either direction, but only if it's for a brief second. I seem to be able to stop my ship/figher normally if I move it back to neutral after moving around for several seconds though. Is this normal considering the stick has a shorter throw or did I receive a faulty unit?

Try showing your inputs in a training mode and see if inputs are lingering or double inputting for some reason

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
man bullshit, yoshis hands aren't guns

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Over 20 matches and two wins. I see what people mean now.
These games have no play skill gradient at the lower level. There is literally an ocean between a new player and even the lowest tier.
Maybe its the lack of players at the bottom, but god drat not even RTSs are this bad.

I can have someone login to SC2 right now who has only played RTS a few times, and within a few matches have them win some.
Mostly because there will be someone at their skill level, and because the game is not completely opaque.

Even at the rookie tier I'm facing people with solid fundamentals. This poo poo is going to be a real loving slog.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Xeom posted:

These games have no play skill gradient at the lower level. There is literally an ocean between a new player and even the lowest tier.
Maybe its the lack of players at the bottom, but god drat not even RTSs are this bad.

I can have someone login to SC2 right now who has only played RTS a few times, and within a few matches have them win some.
Mostly because there will be someone at their skill level, and because the game is not completely opaque.

Even at the rookie tier I'm facing people with solid fundamentals. This poo poo is going to be a real loving slog.

Losing can teach you more than winning sometimes. Try giving yourself a mini objective to shoot for in each round, like pulling off a certain basic hit confirm a few times. Keep getting blown up by jump ins? Learn a good anti air option for your character and try to land it cleanly a few times during the match.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Xeom posted:

welcome to fighting games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Xeom posted:

you arent even good enough to know what 'solid fundamentals' are dog