Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the difficulty of mastery of a task is directly proportional to the joy mastery of that task brings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spermgod posted:

you arent even good enough to know what 'solid fundamentals' are dog

welcoming community

tho yeah, a lot of that "solid play" will seem a lot weaker if you keep up with it and follow the mantra of "never jumping, always anti-airing and not doing risky poo poo".

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Xeom posted:

Over 20 matches and two wins. I see what people mean now.
These games have no play skill gradient at the lower level. There is literally an ocean between a new player and even the lowest tier.
Maybe its the lack of players at the bottom, but god drat not even RTSs are this bad.

I can have someone login to SC2 right now who has only played RTS a few times, and within a few matches have them win some.
Mostly because there will be someone at their skill level, and because the game is not completely opaque.

Even at the rookie tier I'm facing people with solid fundamentals. This poo poo is going to be a real loving slog.

i've got no idea what game you're playing or who you play in it but you should block more and don't jump so much

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Dias posted:

"never jumping, always anti-airing and not doing risky poo poo".

Mintergalactic posted:

i've got no idea what game you're playing or who you play in it but you should block more and don't jump so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but what if he's playing melty blood

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mintergalactic posted:

going by post history he's playing SFV, so that advice is definitely good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

but what if he's playing melty blood

press 2a and jump more

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if fighting games had blizzard game-sized populations (and blizzard-like sensibility re: how to prioritize skill vs. timeliness in matchmaking) they would probably be a much more similar experience to other competitive genres, but they have neither of those things and probably never will

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

if you're playing a fighting game for the first time, specifically street fighter, and you have decided to play a character that doesn't have a 360, please just literally unbind the up direction for the first 10 hours of play

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

if you're playing a fighting game for the first time, specifically street fighter, and you have decided to play a character that doesn't have a 360, please just literally unbind the up direction for the first 10 hours of play
what if he's playing guile

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xeom posted:

Over 20 matches and two wins. I see what people mean now.
These games have no play skill gradient at the lower level. There is literally an ocean between a new player and even the lowest tier.
Maybe its the lack of players at the bottom, but god drat not even RTSs are this bad.

I can have someone login to SC2 right now who has only played RTS a few times, and within a few matches have them win some.
Mostly because there will be someone at their skill level, and because the game is not completely opaque.

Even at the rookie tier I'm facing people with solid fundamentals. This poo poo is going to be a real loving slog.

dhamster posted:

Losing can teach you more than winning sometimes. Try giving yourself a mini objective to shoot for in each round, like pulling off a certain basic hit confirm a few times. Keep getting blown up by jump ins? Learn a good anti air option for your character and try to land it cleanly a few times during the match.

dhamster's advice is the best you'll hear, and here's why:
Winning is closer to a dish than it is to just how you cook. There are multiple ingredients to it, they have to be mixed correctly, they have to be cooked correctly, and then they have to be served correctly. You can alter the presentation of the dish if you want, and it'll help sometimes, but that won't take away the necessity of the other bits.

For now, while you're starting out, focus on pieces of the fight. Focus on learning the spacing of your moves. Focus on understanding what habits you have. Focus on what habits your opponent has. Don't drop your BnB and don't do unsafe poo poo without a very good reason. Focus on each of these tidbits one at a time until you internalize them enough to keep more or all of them in mind.

Eventually, you'll realize that you're winning 4 or maybe 6 out of 20 instead of 2 out of 20. It'll still feel hard and bad, and progress will seem glacial. But as you keep more tidbits in mind, you'll be able to focus on things like how to counter your opponent's habits, how long it takes them to adapt to your counter, and so on. Suddenly you're winning 10 out of 20. It still looks like you're not winning the majority of the time, but progress never looks fast enough when you're doing something that requires actual work.

To get out of pools in Street Fighter 5 at Evo, I think you had to win something like 15 or 16 2/3 sets in a row. 25% of the people playing didn't win a single set. Fighting games are hard, but they're incredibly rewarding. Keep at it, and you'll reap what you sow.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

cr.HP

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if fighting games had blizzard game-sized populations (and blizzard-like sensibility re: how to prioritize skill vs. timeliness in matchmaking) they would probably be a much more similar experience to other competitive genres, but they have neither of those things and probably never will

Yeah, SC2 has a fairly sizeable matchmaking pool with ping as less of an issue. But if you tried to jump into Brood War you'd be losing for weeks most likely because the baseline is quite demanding on newcomers. I didn't play it for that long and only won one or two games, but I was real fuckin proud of those wins.

I dunno when I'll play a fighting game online though, my connection isn't good enough for it, so I'm just keep on smashing through the KI single player working on mechanics for all the characters, ramping up the AI difficulty.

edit: as an aside, having a really hard baseline in matchmaking can be beneficial. In Blizzard matchmaking you can just bob around at a fairly middling skill level and never improve because you will win games. It's kind of good to be forced to lose game after game after game because you'll want to stop that from happening. Having a too low baseline can mean you'll stay crap forever if you're not the kind to put pressure on yourself to improve.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 21, 2016

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

DPs are a crutch my friend

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was new to fighting games like 2 years ago and i still really suck but for some reason losing and trying to learn and fix my innate behavior is really rewarding for me idk. maybe i'm just a sucker for punishment

Mintergalactic posted:

DPs are my crutch, friend

fixed and :same:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Zand posted:

refuse to emptyquote

breakers revenge
cyberbots
"garou"
karnovs/fhd
msh (not msh vsf)
puzzle fighter
"sfa3"
"st"
world heroes perfect
xvsf
xmCOTA

weeklies after 9pm cst Any day really tia

fight me in any of this game ppl

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

meterless reversals are a privilege, not a right

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

haha ill never set up fightcade you cant make me

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Broken Loose posted:

To get out of pools in Street Fighter 5 at Evo, I think you had to win something like 15 or 16 2/3 sets in a row. 25% of the people playing didn't win a single set. Fighting games are hard, but they're incredibly rewarding. Keep at it, and you'll reap what you sow.

Actually to get to top 8 it was just winning 10 or 11 (without losing) to be in winners depending on if you got a bye or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to get out of pools at evo you had to win 500 matches and then fight jean claude van dam in real life

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mintergalactic posted:

turns out he's playing marvel and neither of these apply

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Fereydun posted:

turns out he's playing marvel and neither of these apply

further proof that marvel is anime

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i don't wanna hang out with those smelly fucks therefore it is not

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Fereydun posted:

i don't wanna hang out with those smelly fucks

at least we're not smash players

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Actually to get to top 8 it was just winning 10 or 11 (without losing) to be in winners depending on if you got a bye or not.

Well actually, given that Xeom is a #4 seed in the Capcom Cup Pro Tour,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i was new to fighting games like 2 years ago and i still really suck but for some reason losing and trying to learn and fix my innate behavior is really rewarding for me idk. maybe i'm just a sucker for punishment

fixed and :same:

Same here, I've lost hundreds of guilty gear and hundreds more but I love trying to learn it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
On the plus side, fighting game matches are quick compare to SC matches so you can get right back at it when you lose. On the other hand, there's no 'down' time in fighting games. The beating comes at you instantly if you're outmatched and you have no time to breathe, whereas you can still usually find that sometimes even when you're getting murdered in an RTS.

That's the one of the main things that scares people away from fighting games IMO (along with the usual suspects of 1v1 stuff being high pressure and giving you no excuses). You're assaulted by the opponent immediately - - there's no base building, no walking to mid, no camping around waiting to see an enemy. And when you're new and bad, you get immediately put on your back foot and murdered instead of getting to press the fun buttons you were hoping to hit.Of course learning how to fight back under pressure is a huge part of the game, but if you're uninitiated to the genre it can be rough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Play fighting games with the intention to improve for a week. Practice basic combos, deliberately stop jumping and work on anti-airing people, learn a simple frametrap. You'll still lose 19/20 games that week.

Then ask one of your garbage friends to play with you and you'll beat them 15/20 times and suddenly realize that you've actually improved! Grats. Now go lose a lot more.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

the best way to get better is to keep playing, but you also have to turn your brain on and be willing to actually question why it is you lost and what you can do to change that

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

sometimes you genuinely dont know the answer to those questions, and thats when you should go seek the advice of more experienced players who in my personal interactions have been extremely helpful and willing to teach

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

why doesn't ryu have tetanus from walking barefoot through cities

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
someone play me in uniel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

what if he does?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Real hurthling! posted:

what if he does?

how is he still alive...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Smoking Crow posted:

how is he still alive...

ken sucks out the poison for him

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
all that tetanus goes to his brain and he becomes violent ken

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Smoking Crow posted:

Honestly walking/running barefoot isn't that dangerous. Turns out you look where you're going a whole lot more.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

Honestly walking/running barefoot isn't that dangerous. Turns out you look where you're going a whole lot more.

lol yeah cool I'll just go ahead and walk places and not catch any Pokemon

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ken sucks out the poison for him

Ken sucking ryus feet :eyebulge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Turns out all this time the whole surge of murderous intent thing was just untreated syphillis Ryu contracted from sleeping with a hooker a long time ago.

Ryu confirmed as the Nietzsche of fighting games.