Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Unmature posted:

I guess you haven't seen the internet in the last couple of months. Ghostbros are some of the shittiest people and need to be taken down a peg at every opportunity.

Ghostbros? Lol no I don't go looking for the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Of course WHM is going to like the new Ghostbusters movie. They're all improv guys so of course they're going to like a movie that's 99.9% improv. Jupin said as much in his mini review. It was the first thing out of his mouth.

I saw the film and didn't think it was very funny. Maybe I'm not an improv person.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dr. Lariat posted:

Ghostbros? Lol no I don't go looking for the stuff.
You don't have to honey. It's internet weirdos who come up with weird conspiracy theories for why people disagree with them.

The enemy is within.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I saw the film and didn't think it was very funny. Maybe I'm not an improv person.

I didn't think Ghostbusters was very funny and I like improv heavy comedies.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Also, I'll say Andrew is a special kind of Star Trek nerd, who remembers the full registry number of the Enterprise from the end of 4, and all of 5 and 6 (NCC-1701-A), yet not remember plot points from Wrath of Khan (Khan not only doesn't take over the Enterprise, he never steps foot on it. He and Kirk are never in the same room the whole movie).

No big deal or anything. Just funny, to me.

I'm bummed that they apparently wrote off IV as the worst when it's solidly in the top 3 and arguably the best of them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tender Bender posted:

I'm bummed that they apparently wrote off IV as the worst when it's solidly in the top 3 and arguably the best of them.

I agree that it's in the top 3, but you'd have a hard time arguing it's the best of them. It's entertaining, for sure, but it's easily my third favorite of the original cast. 2 and 6 are incredibly good. And through no coincidence, have the best villains of the entire movie series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Needs more Guliani hate

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Needs more Guliani hate

Their Giuliani tangents are always hilarious.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

"The end of year edition of Times with a barren Times Square and a 'WHERE DID THE HOOKERS GO'"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I got no idea what the gently caress a "combo" is
Also also Zoo was a great doc

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Also also Zoo was a great doc

Tiny pretzel bites filled with dog food.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Noted Combo enthusiast and Nu-metal fan Stephen Sajdak

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus Christ that should not be consumed by human beings
What kind of world do we live in
I think the discovery of combos is creating an existential crisis inside of me
Thanks a lot

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Clinical Depression: The Snack Food

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This episode was really validating because the Ghostbusters cartoon was a few years before my time and the way that people in my peer group and on the internet praise it as some kind of gem that totally holds up even as an adult has always been something I could never really get into. I guess from a historical perspective it's kind of cool that they did an episode on "Cathulu" in the time before Lovecraft was really overexposed?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Extreme Ghostbusters was something that sounded terrible on paper but was actually pretty good and probably better than the original cartoon.

thrawn527 posted:

I agree that it's in the top 3, but you'd have a hard time arguing it's the best of them. It's entertaining, for sure, but it's easily my third favorite of the original cast. 2 and 6 are incredibly good. And through no coincidence, have the best villains of the entire movie series.

Oh yeah, that's why I said "arguably". I dunno if I'd put it at the top but if someone else did I'd understand their decision.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

They said that IV was one of the best. Nemesis and Insurrection were the worst, and V was the worst TOS movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Corek posted:

They said that IV was one of the best. Nemesis and Insurrection were the worst, and V was the worst TOS movie.

Yeah I don't even think anything here is even up for debate. There is some debate on whether Nemesis or Insurrection is the worst (I think Insurrection because it's far more boring and just feels like a bad two parter of the show, but I appear to be in the minority, and I can't really argue because Nemesis is really bad), but those three are by far the worst of the bunch.

I mean, Generations is really really really bad, but at least you've got Malcolm McDowell and William Shatner doing something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Clinical Depression: The Snack Food
Can confirm.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, Generations is really really really bad, but at least you've got Malcolm McDowell and William Shatner doing something.

It also gave us all the nexus jokes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

This episode was really validating because the Ghostbusters cartoon was a few years before my time and the way that people in my peer group and on the internet praise it as some kind of gem that totally holds up even as an adult has always been something I could never really get into. I guess from a historical perspective it's kind of cool that they did an episode on "Cathulu" in the time before Lovecraft was really overexposed?

I mean it's probably held up better than 90s X-Men, which is the ugliest. 90sest thing people are inexplicably nostalgic for.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The toys were rad as hell though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Lariat posted:

Dear cast of WHM,

We all know as you have said, it's okay to like a movie. Please also begin to understand it's okay to not like a movie. I'm starting to wonder if they had financial interest in Star Wars 7 or the new ghostbusters considering how often they're "taking the haters to task." It's kinda tedious.

(The new Real Ghostbusters AD episode has a mini Ghostbusters 2016 on screen in it and that's fine, but there's more than one reason to not enjoy a movie besides owning cargo shorts and perma Cheetos stains on your fingers.)

you should write in

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

you should write in

Sir, put down your tweet.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sir, put down your tweet.

mom get in here

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad Cabin came back, he's fun.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm glad Cabin came back, he's fun.

Same! I've been listening to the back catalogue lately, and now I've got a crave for the flavor of a crumble of Crabin :h:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

that seems like a step lower then pizza rolls, since at least if i have a pizza roll i can do the Mr. planket voice and give myself a laugh.

EDIT: that may be sadder in hindsight.

Dr. Lariat posted:

Dear cast of WHM,

We all know as you have said, it's okay to like a movie. Please also begin to understand it's okay to not like a movie. I'm starting to wonder if they had financial interest in Star Wars 7 or the new ghostbusters considering how often they're "taking the haters to task." It's kinda tedious.

(The new Real Ghostbusters AD episode has a mini Ghostbusters 2016 on screen in it and that's fine, but there's more than one reason to not enjoy a movie besides owning cargo shorts and perma Cheetos stains on your fingers.)

there is a diffence to thinking that you like the prequels because you think their fun films to outright trashing the film becuase of gender or some idea that your child hood is scared or about a single movie and not something you did with your family or friends.

i mean my childhood had a ton of star wars toys and video games and suger water but what i am nostalgic for back then is what i did it with. that is why my best nostalgia moment is when me and my brother who rarely get along with on vacation for my other brother wedding and we just sit in the hotel eating fries with mayo and that was 5 years ago, or sitting on my brother in laws boat at 4 clock in the morning watching the sun on the lake side of chicago seeing the relection on the windows and that was 7 years ago. these will be my final thoughts more then my first time watching ghostbusters.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, Jupin (and a few other local friends) liking the new Ghostbusters movie is convincing me to go see it in theatres. I was going to wait until it came out on Blu-Ray, but I suppose I can take a huge leap and go see it on Budget Movie Day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hockles posted:

So, Jupin (and a few other local friends) liking the new Ghostbusters movie is convincing me to go see it in theatres. I was going to wait until it came out on Blu-Ray, but I suppose I can take a huge leap and go see it on Budget Movie Day.

It's not my favorite Feig movie but it's still a pretty fun time. There isn't enough cocaine left on earth to re-create the original movie's production but it still has plenty of good gags and for every eyerolling callback to the original you get a clever parallel or bit of commentary.

Some of Chris Hemsworth's completely deadpan lines like "aquariums are submarines for fish" still crack me up when I remember them days later.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hockles posted:

I pretty much 100% agreed with Jupin's reaction to it and it seems that's more or less the vibe my friends have too.

Cyron posted:

that seems like a step lower then pizza rolls, since at least if i have a pizza roll i can do the Mr. planket voice and give myself a laugh.

I'd say the rolls are at least better because you heat them up and are getting a hot pizza simulacrum in your mouth. Combos are just lovely pretzels with bad flavoring.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The new Ghostbusters movie is really great. I'd say definitely go see it.

Guy Mann posted:

It's not my favorite Feig movie but it's still a pretty fun time. There isn't enough cocaine left on earth to re-create the original movie's production but it still has plenty of good gags and for every eyerolling callback to the original you get a clever parallel or bit of commentary.

Some of Chris Hemsworth's completely deadpan lines like "aquariums are submarines for fish" still crack me up when I remember them days later.

Michael Hat

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd even go as far to say it's OK to like or dislike movies, but it's not OK to wage online jihad against one, particularly pre-release. The backlash against Ghostbusters 2016 was alarmingly pre-emptive. I fully encourage anyone who likes to laugh at outraged nerds to check out this review:

http://www.brianniemeier.com/2016/07/when-is-movie-not-movie.html

quote:

Hollywood hates you. They've murdered the film franchises you loved and reanimated them as shambling husks. But instead of cloves and sawdust, they've stuffed these mummified impostors with PC dogma. These zombie films' main purpose now is to spread elitist groupthink like plague rats.

Or this hilarious reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/comments/4s4vx3/ghostbusters_2016_childhood_ruined/

quote:

Unfortunately, I no longer feel comfortable wearing the shirt. The reason is because the meaning has now changed. Instead of being a fun reminder of a time long ago, it is now a political statement. Wearing a Ghostbusters logo today sends a confusing message. Am I wearing it in support of feminism? Am I making a statement that there are only one Ghostbusters team?

So, when I say, "It ruined my childhood" what I am really saying is that many of the positive associations I had with the franchise have been replaced with negativity. In essence, the little memories in the corners of my ever failing mind are now clouded by a slimy coating of "Girl Power" and shooting ghosts in the dick.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah I don't even think anything here is even up for debate. There is some debate on whether Nemesis or Insurrection is the worst (I think Insurrection because it's far more boring and just feels like a bad two parter of the show, but I appear to be in the minority, and I can't really argue because Nemesis is really bad), but those three are by far the worst of the bunch.

Insurrection isn't the worst because, as you said, it's just a boring two-parter TNG episode. Nemesis seems to have an active disdain for the entire franchise. It's so totally out of sync with anything else in Star Trek.

I suppose you could split the difference and say Insurrection is a worse movie because being boring is a bigger cinematic sin while Nemesis is a worse Star Trek movie because it hates you for liking this stuff.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Star Trek episode was good, but it was baffling to hear the whole gang taking shots at DS9. Especially as they have strong knowledge about Next Generation and the original series, it was weird they seemed to attack DS9 based on the space station premise without seeming to have watched the show.

I wonder if the hosts were huge into Next Generation but didn't watch any of the following series, as they don't seem to mention Voyager or Enterprise. I mean it's fine to not like a show, but for Trek fans it's odd that it seems like they never watched one of the strongest series.

I did like when they were discussing a worse version of Mos Eisley and Eric slipped in "Mos Epsa." That was a deep cut.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Insurrection isn't the worst because, as you said, it's just a boring two-parter TNG episode. Nemesis seems to have an active disdain for the entire franchise. It's so totally out of sync with anything else in Star Trek.

I suppose you could split the difference and say Insurrection is a worse movie because being boring is a bigger cinematic sin while Nemesis is a worse Star Trek movie because it hates you for liking this stuff.

Yeah, it's one of those arguments where there is no wrong answer, because they're both terrible. I think there are at least a few things to somewhat enjoy in Nemesis (like a really strange performance by Tom Hardy, decent action scene where they ram the Enterprise into the Romulan ship, and...well actually I ran out of things), and it feels like a movie. The sacrifice at the end is unearned, and largely erased, but it was trying to do something. Insurrection had red cloudy space, face stretchy aliens, everyone getting horny and going through puberty again, and a final fight on a set where they seem to have forgotten to change the blue screen out with a CGI background.

(Was there ever an explanation for this? Did they actually run out of budget to fill that in? Or did they always intend for the background to just be blue?)

I really can't stand that movie. It's so drat boring. Nemesis is awful, but it's not boring. Usually.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The Star Trek episode was good, but it was baffling to hear the whole gang taking shots at DS9. Especially as they have strong knowledge about Next Generation and the original series, it was weird they seemed to attack DS9 based on the space station premise without seeming to have watched the show.

I wonder if the hosts were huge into Next Generation but didn't watch any of the following series, as they don't seem to mention Voyager or Enterprise. I mean it's fine to not like a show, but for Trek fans it's odd that it seems like they never watched one of the strongest series.

I did like when they were discussing a worse version of Mos Eisley and Eric slipped in "Mos Epsa." That was a deep cut.

Yeah that surprised me too, especially since they've turned Michael Dorn #WeWantWorf into a running joke. On the other hand a quarter of the Insurrection review is just impressions about Quark being a massive sex offender.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

thrawn527 posted:

(Was there ever an explanation for this? Did they actually run out of budget to fill that in? Or did they always intend for the background to just be blue?)

That poo poo has baffled me for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Jupin has talked about watching voyager I think so he's seen that one.