Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This thread is really long and I'm not sure if I have the effort to crawl through the ginormous about of pages, so question here. In E1/E2 of this season, was the bondage lady that gets into the kinky poo poo Tyrell's wife? Was there ANY exposition about how she ended up with that guy or was it just a random scene thrown at the audience and might have meaning later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

This thread is really long and I'm not sure if I have the effort to crawl through the ginormous about of pages, so question here. In E1/E2 of this season, was the bondage lady that gets into the kinky poo poo Tyrell's wife? Was there ANY exposition about how she ended up with that guy or was it just a random scene thrown at the audience and might have meaning later?

Yes, that was her

She cast Tyrell out because he lost his job (and he's in the wind now) so she picked up some young dumb guy who will do everything she says in order to keep herself sexually satisfied. I think that's about all there is to it...

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

timp posted:

Yes, that was her

She cast Tyrell out because he lost his job (and he's in the wind now) so she picked up some young dumb guy who will do everything she says in order to keep herself sexually satisfied. I think that's about all there is to it...

My reading was slightly different, she doesn't really like this new guy and feels the need to "train" him because she doesn't have access to Tyrell atm, but I am not sure she cast him out because of the phone-present. To me it came across more as her trying to create a somewhat long-term placeholder.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

uncertainty posted:

My reading was slightly different, she doesn't really like this new guy and feels the need to "train" him because she doesn't have access to Tyrell atm, but I am not sure she cast him out because of the phone-present. To me it came across more as her trying to create a somewhat long-term placeholder.

I don't disagree with any of that, she's definitely trying to train him. But she's clearly just using him sexually and makes it very clear that that's where their relationship ends.

Could be interesting if there turned out to be more to his character, kind of like the amateur rapper trying to give his CD out in S1 who ended up being a skilled hacker and F Society's liaison for the Dark Army. But I also think it's too early to speculate since we have only one scene to go off of so far.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This FBI lady is the best. That's all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

darkerthantheday posted:

Coulda swore one of the screen names during the :shlick: scene was some variation of Happy Harry Hardon or some such. Nice touch.

Glad I'm not the only one that caught that reference. :old:

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Benson Cunningham posted:

Everytime she shows up in a show, I think she looks familar. Then when I wiki her I go "WHAT shes Meryl Streep's daughter?!" This has happened about 4 times now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For a second I thought her username in the irc channel was Deeeepstreep. Sadly, it's just deeeepsteep.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Even under the pants that was pretty graphic.

We're talking about a show that barely concealed Tyrell loving a dude in the rear end and then talking about the mess afterward.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

She's incredible and the perfect counter-balance to Elliot's claustrophobic labyrinth of insanity story-arc.

...and it will be kinda refreshing to see several equally sympathetic characters duke it out instead of last season's somewhat more stark conflict: idealistic hackers VS literal psychopathic businessmen. I know I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but between psycho-killer Tyrel and his approving wife, demonic Mr.Robot, EVILcorps evil capitalist overlords and the misanthrope drug-dealer do look forward to see Elliot and his sister threatened by an actual empathetic adversary.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I love this show. I finally watched E1-2 yesterday, and caught 3 tonight. Looking forward to the rest of the season, great episodes so far. I was on board for the asylum theory last night, but I don't think E3 added to that theory much besides maybe chess, which you could see being played there (but also everywhere else). That's the closest Elliot's been to a computer in a month, I guess. The religion meltdown was great, but the best part was the beginning:

"Elliot, would you like to share?"

"Nah man... my system's hung."

E: oh hey look

http://i.imgur.com/QcyDLoX.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/rsZTWHj.gifv

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 22, 2016

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Can't wait for the NBA season to start

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been taking various ADD medicines my whole life and I've always been very careful and responsible with it; I've never taken more than the doctor approved dosage even once in my 20+ years of being medicated.

The scene where Elliot pops one pill...then another...then another...then two...then three in quick succession...man that was tough for me to watch. I was literally cringing harder and harder with each one. That being said, I really loved the Elliot depicted above in those gifs. That whole scene was so manically happy and fun to watch. You know the crash and the return of Mr. Robot are both inevitable, but gently caress man! Look how happy he is about that lovely basketball game.

Just another testament to Rami Malek, dude's seriously, seriously talented.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Angela's descent/ascent into a c-level lizardman skin job is hilarious and crazy. I'm loving this season.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Goddamn that was a great episode of TV. The FBI chick's development is turning out really well (great use of the Amazon product placement to disturbing effect). This show continues to surprise and amaze.

I keep waiting for this show to turn poo poo and it keeps not happening. Super happy about that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You say that but then I remember season 1 having some really 'eh' episodes before the final rush like the drug trip one. Reminds of Leftovers S1 vs S2 so far, S1 had some interesting ideas and a few cool episodes among a throng of dull. In contrast, S2 just knocked it out of the park for every single episode. So far we're definitely on that track and it owns.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish the FBI lady wasn't seared into my mind as such a lovely character on The Newsroom.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress.ME.mkv

That was some serious TV.

Man that intro was very Tarantino, but BETTER!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if this episode added to or took away from the institution theory. I guess it took away from it a bit unless they're playing the long game with retcon flashbacks later.

How can the scene with the fat man and the beaten programmer guy could be explained inside institution theory? If Elliot is inside and institution, so is he. And Elliot could not be imagining that scene, since he wanst on it. I am now 100% convinced that it is bullshit

Episode was maybe a bit slow, but good. Elliot walking around tripping like hell was awesome, Elliot eating the pills from thew vomit, Elliot meltdown at the church group. Its a great character and the actor is really killing it.

And FBI lady is right now my second favorite character

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 22, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can the scene with the fat man and the beaten programmer guy could be explained inside institution theory? I am now 100% convinced that it is bullshit

Episode was maybe a bit slow, but good. Elliot walking around tripping like hell was awesome
Craig Robinson isn't a patient (he's a staff member) and the theory could still work.
I think the thing that's harder to believe if this was all reality is him getting the journal from the trash. That makes a lot more sense if the Christian meetings take place within the facility.

The show specifically hasn't shown us any other main characters meeting Elliot except for his psych and Gideon and we know how those meetings were odd-looking. I think when his sister shows up it'll be a big moment.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I want this to somehow be the thread title.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JazzFlight posted:

Craig Robinson isn't a patient (he's a staff member) and the theory could still work.
I think the thing that's harder to believe if this was all reality is him getting the journal from the trash. That makes a lot more sense if the Christian meetings take place within the facility.

The show specifically hasn't shown us any other main characters meeting Elliot except for his psych and Gideon and we know how those meetings were odd-looking. I think when his sister shows up it'll be a big moment.

Hmm, yes, you are right. Still, I dont believe it. And I hope is not true, cause it would make his scenes walking around the streets completely high less cool

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I doubt that Craig's character is a staff member at wherever Elliot is holed up. That white van he was driving around in makes me think that he might be some sort of repairman.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the scene at the end in Craig Robinson's (I can never remember the character name) office was kind of telling to me. It looked very similar to the rest of the "house."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, and I guess is also still possible that Leo would be selling pills inside the institution (maybe he steals from the place pharmacy).

But how come Elliot got to stay 5 days without sleep and clearly shitfaced all the time, vomiting all over the place, without any doctors or nurses bothering him?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It's hard to say whether the institutional motif in alot of the scenes are signaling how Elliot feels about his current circumstances or are communicating to us the reality of his analogue life. Certainly the fact that he wouldn't key us into the remainder of his conversation with his psychiatrist means that something is seriously off, and being institutionalized seems like a pretty good fit, even given the current situation. That he went 5 days without seeing Mr.Robot but still stuck to his routine seems a bit off for the character to me, unless he had no other choice.

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard
I watched the last episode last night but my DVDR only recorded the first hour and it cuts at a scene where Eliott is sitting in a restaurant and Craig Robinson walks in. Did I miss anything important?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's hard to say whether the institutional motif in alot of the scenes are signaling how Elliot feels about his current circumstances or are communicating to us the reality of his analogue life. Certainly the fact that he wouldn't key us into the remainder of his conversation with his psychiatrist means that something is seriously off, and being institutionalized seems like a pretty good fit, even given the current situation. That he went 5 days without seeing Mr.Robot but still stuck to his routine seems a bit off for the character to me, unless he had no other choice.

Keep in mind he was super duper wired from all the adderall he was on, and wasn't making good decisions. I loved him narrating that he was even taking part in discussions about Seinfeld, as if he was acting normally. Then he actually opens his mouth and no, he's is a raving lunatic, he just doesn't realize it at the moment.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One thing: what do you think the author's intent is with the scenes when Elliot's ranting for an extended time (the consumerism speech to his therapist in the first season and the recent religion rant)? It's like, basic teenager rebellion stuff but do you think we're supposed to be on Elliot's side or think he's unhinged?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
E01 callback speculation:

Did Mr. Robot arrange with Ray for Rome to be killed? Was that the deal Mr. Robot made with Ray that Elliot can't remember?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

DopeGhoti posted:

E01 callback speculation:

Did Mr. Robot arrange with Ray for Rome to be killed? Was that the deal Mr. Robot made with Ray that Elliot can't remember?

That was my thought. I wondered if Mr. Robot had something to do with it. But I get the feeling that would draw too much attention to their organization for Mr. Robot to have just had him killed at his mother's home.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

But are we supposed to believe that Ray is a friendly staff member helping Elliot get to the heart of his multiple personality disorder while also threatening burnt-face man in front of his wife and kid with a thuggish underling for not programming what appears to be illegal commerce websites? He seems more like a criminal who is interested in Elliot's programming skills more than anything.

Max posted:

That was my thought. I wondered if Mr. Robot had something to do with it. But I get the feeling that would draw too much attention to their organization for Mr. Robot to have just had him killed at his mother's home.

Kinda feel like the show is going to make it look like it is Elliot/Mr.Robot who is behind the track-covering murders but the "twist" will end up being the revelation that it was Tyrel who seems to have a vested interest in covering Elliot's conspicuous tracks. Tyrel knew that Gideon might have evidence against Elliot and he also could have easily figured out Rome owned the arcade where they hacked from. The reason the other members of F-society aren't dead is because Tyrel is (as of yet) unaware of their existence. Who knows maybe Ray is some convict keeping tabs on Eliot for an anonymous Tyrel, being payed through bitcoin websites or something.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just though: Tyrell killed Romero on Mr Robot's order

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Re: above spoilered speculation

On further consideration, I'm starting to feel that Elliot drawing the line of "I/we is/aren't killing anyone" is what manifested "our" presence in the first place. In S01, Elliot was able to make Mr. Robot back off from his homicidal plans. So if Mr. Robot is now killing people (or having them killed), that sort of undermines a lot of Elliot's gestalt.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Craig Robertson's character says he got the journal because he is friends with the "chaplain". Surely, if the the meeting was at a church he would be friends with the minister or the priest, a chaplain is only attached to an institution like a military or more relevantly, a hospital.

I'm no religious expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a pretty big clue.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Comrade Fakename posted:

Craig Robertson's character says he got the journal because he is friends with the "chaplain". Surely, if the the meeting was at a church he would be friends with the minister or the priest, a chaplain is only attached to an institution like a military or more relevantly, a hospital.

I'm no religious expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a pretty big clue.

it looks like its in a gym, so it wouldn't be inconceivable that its a religious organized meeting in an institution other than an asylum

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crowoutofcontext posted:

But are we supposed to believe that Ray is a friendly staff member helping Elliot get to the heart of his multiple personality disorder while also threatening burnt-face man in front of his wife and kid with a thuggish underling for not programming what appears to be illegal commerce websites? He seems more like a criminal who is interested in Elliot's programming skills more than anything.

I think Ray runs some sort of a Silk Road analog. They kept mentioning Romeo was working with drug dealers and a darknet drug empire is a nice intersection of tech and underground crime.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Any significance to the music being used when Elliot was throwing up the pills, other than it being a really great Philip Glass piece? Just wondering because it was used notably in the The Truman Show, a film about a man whose entire life is an artificial construct. Hmm.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Maelstache posted:

Any significance to the music being used when Elliot was throwing up the pills, other than it being a really great Philip Glass piece? Just wondering because it was used notably in the The Truman Show, a film about a man whose entire life is an artificial construct. Hmm.

God, THATS where it was from. I knew I had heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

One thing: what do you think the author's intent is with the scenes when Elliot's ranting for an extended time (the consumerism speech to his therapist in the first season and the recent religion rant)? It's like, basic teenager rebellion stuff but do you think we're supposed to be on Elliot's side or think he's unhinged?

It's kind of hard to say, it's a very bleak and cynical view but the show presents a very bleak and cynical world. Elliot has been badly treated by the world and because of his tendency to hack everyone he sees people at their worst. The only character that was ever really positively portrayed was Gideon and they murdered him.

• Locked thread