Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

how is he still alive...

the answer lies in the heart of battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Who knows, maybe Ryu has hobbit feet and can walk over anything without getting hurt. Considering how big are Ryu and Ken's feet since SF Alpha that should be cannon at this point.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Learning a fighting game is like playing the swordfighting part of Monkey Island. You start out with a sword and no answers, and everyone else seems to already have the answers to your questions, and the only way to win is to lose enough times that you've seen all the questions people will likely ask you and you have all the answers for them under your belt.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reiley posted:

Learning a fighting game is like playing the swordfighting part of Monkey Island. You start out with a sword and no answers, and everyone else seems to already have the answers to your questions, and the only way to win is to lose enough times that you've seen all the questions people will likely ask you and you have all the answers for them under your belt.

This is poetry and better than anything ever said by David "Yomi" Sirlin. I'll buy your book and/or subscribe to your Youtube channel.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Reiley posted:

Wisdom.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Reiley posted:

holy poo poo this is good stuff

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Reiley posted:

I don't know what other people are saying itt, but my favorite fighting games are as much about having answers to other people's bullshit as boxing is about putting on gloves.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What is that analogy even supposed to mean

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AnonSpore posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I mean the boxing one not the swordfighting one

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Now that we know Monkey Island is the ultimate fighting game I'm gonna post screencaps and gifs of it like that DMC dude does. Calling dibs on that posting gimmick.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It means his game is not going to be a good fighting game.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
hey everyone check out this new gimmick I just came up with: monkey island gifs

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
monkey kombat was poo poo though, which makes sense in this context

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Besides, Nidhogg has the best Rapier combat of any game anyway.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Besides, Nidhogg has the best Rapier combat of any game anyway.

This. Dare I say it also has better divekick combat than Divekick. Please buy Nidhogg for $1 off the humble bundle. Fantastic normie game too

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

lol, sorry guys, I guess ya'll never forget.

Ya kids who wanna believe that fighting games are about finding "answers" to "questions" keep believing in that, tho. It's real cute.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Ayeeee

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dhamster posted:

hey everyone check out this new gimmick I just came up with: monkey island gifs

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
i mean it was a funny flippant analogy about learning fighting games that people liked and not the be all end all of FG philosophy but you can die on this hill if you want i guess.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

anothergod posted:

Ya kids who wanna believe that fighting games are about finding "answers" to "questions" keep believing in that, tho. It's real cute.

lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't even know what the rereg is talking about. I liked the analogy. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anothergod posted:

so what are fighting games about, to you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

salt

giant mountains of salt

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

put this in the op

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
hard finger puzzles
and reading the opponent
please buy my e-book

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Endorph posted:

In one particular perspective you can believe that fighting games are about finding answers to increasingly particular questions. But that's all just reaction. It's like teaching to the test or some other sounds-good-on-paper method. At best it's a boring routine. At worst it equates not-losing with winning.

Moment to moment the best fighting game players get in the heads of other fighting game players. They have a presence of mind that isn't just being vigilant to a list of "what if x" scenarios. It's about taking every possible advantage. They gain ground or position themselves properly. They give up ground to set up traps. They limit their opponents' options and take control.

Or like salt or whatever.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

dhamster posted:

hard finger puzzles
and reading the opponent
please buy my e-book

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

anothergod posted:

In one particular perspective you can believe that fighting games are about finding answers to increasingly particular questions. But that's all just reaction. It's like teaching to the test or some other sounds-good-on-paper method. At best it's a boring routine. At worst it equates not-losing with winning.

Moment to moment the best fighting game players get in the heads of other fighting game players. They have a presence of mind that isn't just being vigilant to a list of "what if x" scenarios. It's about taking every possible advantage. They gain ground or position themselves properly. They give up ground to set up traps. They limit their opponents' options and take control.

Ah you mean applying the answer to the question you asked before, and using that to ask a question of the opponent and not mechanics.

It's questions all the way down dog. Add him to injustice.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

You are trying really hard to seem like you know more about this than other people but your posts are really dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anothergod posted:

cool, what tournaments have you been at because there are people in this very thread who are literally top-level players

and i dont do that as some sick 'heh get good scrub' own but when you're trying to act like you're better at fgs than everyone in this thread you should probably be better at fgs than everyone in this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like even i, the person who shitposts about anime, have done okay in some melty blood and freaking dengeki bunko tournaments. i have played against top level players in those games. so going 'heh you KIDS don't know how it is in the real world' when you're making a crappy pseudo-fight game with terrible visuals and went to your first tournament a few months ago is really loving stupid

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Lessail posted:

Ah you mean applying the answer to the question you asked before, and using that to ask a question of the opponent and not mechanics.

It's questions all the way down dog. Add him to injustice.

So what you're saying is that flowchart Ken wasn't wrong because he was boring but because his charts all ended in SRK.

Brosnan posted:

You are trying really hard to seem like you know more about this than other people but your posts are really dumb.

Aye. I will go back into lurking now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i've gotten games off cristu and inso on melty

like, two or three

and against their subs

not even subs their bad characters

but

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god he is the guy with that terrible demo game that everyone griped about at Combo Breaker isn't he. I totally forgot about that.

That makes it even better :laffo:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

i've gotten games off cristu and inso on melty

like, two or three

and against their subs

not even subs their bad characters

but
one time i got a perfect on some japanese guy playing roa

i dont know who he was but he was a japanese guy playing roa so he was probably a god

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
you know you owned someone hard when they say "aye"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ganbatte Dias-kun!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh god he is the guy with that terrible demo game that everyone griped about at Combo Breaker isn't he.

After the mean goons said his game was bad he went to a tournament and learned everything about fighting games there is to know.

Now he has come to take his revenge.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you know you owned someone hard when they say "aye"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Indie games, I played a few at Evo and thought I'd give my thoughts

Blade Ballet is probably the game I enjoyed most. It's basically a 4-player battlebots simulator. There are a bunch of different robots each with their own skills, and you're trying to destroy the other robots using sharp implements. In a way it plays like a drastically simplified Power Stone. Release date is August 9.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460750/

Rivals of Aether has been in early access for a while I believe, but this was my first time playing it. It is a Smash Bros clone in nearly every way, even down to the character select screen. It's fun though, and the characters are well differentiated from each other. I like the sprite graphics too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/383980/

Gang Beasts is another one that's been in early access for ages but I hadn't played before. It's a battle arena game where your goal is to throw people off of cliffs or down holes, wood chippers, etc. The controls are super weird and clunky, but that's kind of what makes it fun. It almost feels like a QWOP fighting game in a way.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285900/

Little Bug is a platformer with a competitive vs mode. The main gameplay hook is that you move around your "bug" with the right stick, then you can grapple to it. You can chain grapples together to swing around like spiderman, or you can use the grapple beam to zap your opponent. Game's still in alpha but it was a lot of fun to play.
https://indiegamestand.com/free-games/2896/little-bug/

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 21, 2016