Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

maybe gun haunted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

jBrereton posted:

"I came here to resolve your buddy's use of unlicensed transport on public roads... 10 years in the iso-cubes for him...

But you tried to prevent a judge from carrying out his duty, perp... and for that, the sentence is death..."

"I don't know if I am the law."

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Millions of Crows posted:

Would that I were emperor, shootings like these would result in the public hanging of the officer.
If you wield a lot of power and abuse it, you should suffer accordingly.

What about civilians who wield a lot of power and shoot others, should they also be hung?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Rap Music and Dope posted:

It's all mathematics

Username + post combo, 10/10

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

cuck cuck im gay posted:

If a well armed society is a polite society how do they explain Canada?

Pretty sure poutine is considered a biological weapon.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
im hung

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Pretty sure poutine is considered a biological weapon.

Damned certain canadian "bacon" is.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cartouche posted:

What about civilians who wield a lot of power and shoot others, should they also be hung?

yes

hang everyone

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's too bad that any politician admitting to the police having a problem with violence against civilians and pushing for change is going to end up crucified for being soft on crime, disrespectful of our heroes the good ol' boys in blue and accused of being out of touch with the realities of ultra violent black men that make this sort of violence a necessity.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Moola posted:

yes

hang everyone

That may be slightly racist.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Zidrooner posted:

It's too bad that any politician admitting to the police having a problem with violence against civilians and pushing for change is going to end up crucified for being soft on crime, disrespectful of our heroes the good ol' boys in blue and accused of being out of touch with the realities of ultra violent black men that make this sort of violence a necessity.

It's almost like if you treat public education as a low priority you end up with a crop of ignorant shitheel voters.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

cuck cuck im gay posted:

If a well armed society is a polite society how do they explain Canada?

i dont know what your on about but a cop shot a retarded man 10 times in my kid brothers tiny home town a couple years back here in old canada

my whole childhood was stories of one big ongoing biker war

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cartouche posted:

That may be slightly racist.

hang some

miniature american flags for the rest?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've actually opened my glove box for my license and registration with patient officers waiting before and never thought much of it. I've only had a gun pulled on me one other time and it was because I was driving without headlights (on one of those roads with a huge street light every 20 feet and my headlights were dim anyway)

I guess reaching for anything is probably a huge mistake, you should hold your hands in the air and follow instructions closely to not be shot.

Wait what's this thread about?

I grew up on the south side of Chicago. We were instructed in official drivers training class what to do if pulled over.

1) Keeps hands high on wheel, do not move them, do not move around.
2) Sit and wait, it may be 15 min, since they probably first call in your tags.
3) Roll down window after cop is there, using one hand, moving slowly.
4) When they ask for ID, use one hand to get wallet.
5) Remove license from wallet, with $20 clipped on it, hand to officer.
6) etc.

I'm not joking about any of this, inc. the $20 on the license.

And this was in the 1970s.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Zidrooner posted:

Well lets start with you researching the racial statistics and posting them to show that while being more often reported of late it is getting worse (it's not)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zidrooner posted:

Unless your riding/district is predominantly black, that is pretty much exactly what will happen with the addition of the police union(s) throwing their financial support in with whoever is riding against you.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this nice little story on the twatter.

quote:

After more than five days on the concrete floor of Medical Cell #1, Elliott Williams died naked, cold and alone, unable to move.

Hungry and thirsty, Williams screamed for help but couldn’t convince anyone at the David L. Moss Detention Center to help him.

Detention officers at the Tulsa Jail tossed three styrofoam trays of jail food at his feet, but Williams could not retrieve them. Though Williams begged for something to drink, he couldn’t pick up the styrofoam cups of water they placed near him.

One day turned to two, three and four days. On the fifth day, none of the jail’s staff bothered to enter Williams’ cell.

The jail’s medical staff began to wonder if Williams might actually be paralyzed from a broken neck, as he claimed. But those in charge did nothing to find out whether his claims were true.

Instead, they watched him slowly dying on a video camera.

On the morning of the sixth day, the 37-year-old veteran who faced no formal charge died on the floor of his cell. The jail’s medical staff performed CPR on his lifeless body but it was too late to save Williams.

https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/judges-order-elliott-williams-jail-cell-became-burial-crypt/

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Cartouche posted:

Well lets start with you researching the racial statistics and posting them to show that while being more often reported of late it is getting worse (it's not)

no this is all about starting a discussion and a narrative buddy, so first you have to prove a negative

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the media is not going to lie to manipulate you espcially not during an important election year

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
most cops are good & kind people but really

gently caress THE POLICE

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Guys, we're going about this all wrong. We must all become cops, then we will all be infallible heroes who can go hog wild, but only on civilians obvi. Buuuut there won't be any civilians anymore because we'll all be cops. The crime rate will be 0, because all police action is legal, and everyone gets a gun so bald eagles everywhere will be shedding tears of liberty.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this is horrible

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
let's have us some accountability you loving cunts

and how about some gun regulation while we are at it

but mostly put cops in through our broken judicial system without the safety of corrupt unions and DAs

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Cartouche posted:

Yeah it'd be pretty impressive to pull up number of officer involved shootings and then compare them year to year considering that stat doesn't exist according to the US Gov't.

The nearest thing we have is the FBI justifiable homicide report but their numbers are severely underreported according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

There's stats tracked by independent groups but those don't show a decline in police shootings.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Staff Sargeant Blackwell, now on his fifth tour quipped: "I'm always relaxed when I get to go, it's just a safer place to be right now. I dread the day when I have to home. I'm just worried my family has to stay in that hellhole."

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

reallivedinosaur posted:

and this is because?

e: police are actually litigating cases all the time

But they don't? These cases almost never even lead to indictments. 8 LAPD officers shot up a truck they thought was Dorner's even though it was a different color and model and had two elderly latinas and a bunch of newspapers in it and not a big black ex-cop with lots of guns. No indictment. Also the city of LA had to pay 4 million bucks to the ladies but at least none of the cops who hosed up royally had to suffer any punishment. That doesn't bring up how safe they're actually keeping us if 8 cops can unload on two elderly latinas and not even murder one of them, but whatever. It's probably why LA only had to pay out 4 million for two ladies getting almost murdered by institutionalized gang bangers.

I suppose we can hang on to the fact an asian NYPD officer who murdered a guy in a dark stairwell that he didn't even know was there because the cop was afraid was found guilty of manslaughter. Certainly 5 years of probation and no jail time will make other cops think twice before they murder innocents for no reason at all.

All a cop has to do is say I was scared and they literally get away with murdering or at least attempted murdering people. It's loving embarrassing.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

quote:

Asked in a deposition about Williams’ death, Washburn said he believed Williams received “appropriate care,” adding: “people just die sometimes.”

It's really really bad that Judge Dredd and the Hall of Justice is legitimately better than what we have now.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

and this is because?

e: police are actually litigating cases all the time

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zombie Boat posted:

I visit a police hq everyday as part of my job. Yesterday was the first time in the five years I've gone that the door was locked. When I got in, I asked the (never seen before) white officer at the desk why the door was locked. He said with a completely straight face "they're coming for us"

Seems like a rational person to me. Totally the kind of person we should arm and leave unsupervised.

Shoulda yelled "well they're here bitch!" And made like you were pulling a gun out of your pants. I bet the look on his face would have been hilarious.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartouche posted:

It doesn't matter whether it's getting worse or not if the status quo is awful. That you Americans have to do a weird ritual of keeping your hands visible and narrating your actions when pulled over so as not to induce a cop into shooting you is proof enough of how hosed up police are, without needing to get into the issue of race.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dogmeat posted:

But they don't? These cases almost never even lead to indictments. 8 LAPD officers shot up a truck they thought was Dorner's even though it was a different color and model and had two elderly latinas and a bunch of newspapers in it and not a big black ex-cop with lots of guns. No indictment. Also the city of LA had to pay 4 million bucks to the ladies but at least none of the cops who hosed up royally had to suffer any punishment. That doesn't bring up how safe they're actually keeping us if 8 cops can unload on two elderly latinas and not even murder one of them, but whatever. It's probably why LA only had to pay out 4 million for two ladies getting almost murdered by institutionalized gang bangers.

I suppose we can hang on to the fact an asian NYPD officer who murdered a guy in a dark stairwell that he didn't even know was there because the cop was afraid was found guilty of manslaughter. Certainly 5 years of probation and no jail time will make other cops think twice before they murder innocents for no reason at all.

All a cop has to do is say I was scared and they literally get away with murdering or at least attempted murdering people. It's loving embarrassing.

i'd prefer four million dollars to being dead but if you'd rather fight the cops then good luck to ya

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

FrankieGoes posted:

Shoulda yelled "well they're here bitch!" And made like you were pulling a gun out of your pants. I bet the look on his face would have been hilarious.

As funny as it is to troll crazy people, I try to avoid it if I know they'll murder me.

I'm in Florida. He would have killed me.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
It won't get fixed because half our population are just like the people in this thread pretending that nothing is wrong while the status quo is radicalizing people who are now shooting back at police officers.

Oh well. SWHC and TASR goin' up.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
After listening to the guy, not one of the cops has the balls to just walk up and diffuse the situation. They had to shoot someone. It's like, yeah lets nick someone's artery and leave them on the pavement in cuffs for a while.

Cops these days don't got no nuts at all. It's all about their lives and no one else's.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

DOMDOM posted:

let's have us some accountability you loving cunts

There is accountability. What you want is carpet bombing because of specific incidents.

DOMDOM posted:

and how about some gun regulation while we are at it

There is gun regulation. Also: gently caress you

DOMDOM posted:

but mostly put cops in through our broken judicial system without the safety of corrupt unions and DAs

Cry more.

Roylicious posted:

Yeah it'd be pretty impressive to pull up number of officer involved shootings and then compare them year to year considering that stat doesn't exist according to the US Gov't.

The nearest thing we have is the FBI justifiable homicide report but their numbers are severely underreported according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

There's stats tracked by independent groups but those don't show a decline in police shootings.

And you haven't cited them because...

Woah
VVVV

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Cartouche posted:

There is accountability. What you want is carpet bombing because of specific incidents.

There is gun regulation. Also: gently caress you

Cry more.

Hey douche, you fell off the cart.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Cartouche posted:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dogmeat posted:

But they don't? These cases almost never even lead to indictments. 8 LAPD officers shot up a truck they thought was Dorner's even though it was a different color and model and had two elderly latinas and a bunch of newspapers in it and not a big black ex-cop with lots of guns. No indictment.

What should they have been indicted on?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

seems silly to lump stuff traffic and shoplifting conviction rates in with police misconduct but im sure roylicious will break the numbers down for us and tell us what that graph means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Zidrooner posted:

It doesn't matter whether it's getting worse or not if the status quo is awful.

:psyduck:

"it doesn't matter if things are getting better as long as reporting would make people believe that it is getting worse"

• Locked thread