Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lonos Oboe posted:

I could swear that is only in a recent update. When I got the game in March you could swim to the Aurora and back with loads of juice to spare.

Still unsure about charging batteries and power cells. I work as a cameraman, so pretty much every day of my life I have to be fastidious about charging them and keeping them labelled and organised. I can't sleep at night unless everything is charged, even if I am not working. It's just habit and it's ironic doing it in a game. It also feels a little unbalanced. Once you get like 30 of the suckers you can blow though them and then spend ages charging them which is just busy work that could be spent exploring for resources. I would rather along the lines of parking your sub over a volcanic vent to charge them or something like that, then I would have six spare lockers and a lot more juice. Heck, even a high end disposable battery that lasts 3 times as long but needs more resources to build would be rad.

Are you exclusively using the seaglide to get everywhere or something? How are you burning through more than two dozen batteries?

Later on you can get swim charge fins that charge the battery of any tool you're holding while you swim which really helps reduce the amount of batteries/charging needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I did see stuff like Lithium Ion batteries in the wiki as "Something not implemented in game, but it's a better normal battery" I was excited when I first glanced at that article in passing and then less so when I realized it was another case of "Cool sounding thing not actually implemented", like the Powerglide, AKA "Seaglide that can turbo boost to twice as fast as a Seamoth".

As for the charge fins, I'm sure I'd appreciate them more if I made more heavy use of the physics guns. But I have found my Seaglide batteries are better off with the Ultrafins.

Because with the Charge fins lack of any speed buff at all, I feel like I need to use the seaglide at all times. With the Ultrafins, I'm still surprisingly fast without it while bringing a pair of high capacity tanks. The battery life spared by not having it out at all times I don't need some other tool really adds up, and I don't feel like I've had my legs crippled when switch to a scanner or somesuch.

To be fair I do blow through batteries a lot when I'm on longer trips out and about, but that's because I just constantly going farther and farther out until I realize "whoops, better get back" and get back into my Seaglide right as my screen is starting to black out from running out of air for the 4th time... Probably would be smarter to just go for the surface at that point, really. The horizontal trips at those times are bound to be farther than 400m. So I'm burning out my batteries because I'm traveling lots of longer distances on the thing, rather than nickle and dimeing it to death by having it out constantly.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 21, 2016

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Are you exclusively using the seaglide to get everywhere or something? How are you burning through more than two dozen batteries?

Later on you can get swim charge fins that charge the battery of any tool you're holding while you swim which really helps reduce the amount of batteries/charging needed

It just seems like all the tools absolutely burn through the juice now. The laser cutter only seems to cut 2 doors before it's gone. The scanner and hand fab need batteries now and I don't think they did originally. (To build yes, not to use) I get the propulsion cannon needing a lot of battery but it seems like I am always swapping them out. The charge fins are neat but I like my swift fins. Maybe it's just my imagination as I can't seem to find any solid numbers.

When I started, like most folks I used the seaglide to get around. I hung onto it and used it for cave exploring. But now I just carry an extra bottle with the swift fins. It's not something I am really down on. I mean, it is a resource management game. I just found in the past I was exploring and building batteries and using them and when I needed more I harvested acid mushrooms and copper which kept me exploring. Now I need to juggle inventory and keep an eye on the charge. However, practically, rechargeable batteries make more sense. But if they had both kinds and you needed lithium to make the rechargeable ones it would be a small neat thing.

I like the way that you can become totally self contained and not really need to leave your habitat once you have your garden/aquarium and water purifier. But I also like the idea of raping the ocean and using up all the resources. It might sound boring to 99% of players. But if there was gameplay elements involving disposing of your waste and your actions making the area around your habit a waste zone of garbage and beer cans that attracts all kinds of bottom feeding predators and maybe mutates them or an underwater Eden that is a haven for local sea life it would be pretty neat.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 21, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The cutter could only ever cut two doors. I don't think any consumption has gone up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

The cutter could only ever cut two doors. I don't think any consumption has gone up.

I'm convinced that energy drain on tools is entirely reliant on the animation time. It's why Welders feel super energy efficient while taking an hour to cut doors drains half the battery.

See also: Scanning items that scan fast vs the ones that scan slow. And also how it takes the same time and battery power to build a Multipurpose room, hatch, and fabricator as it does to build a single Medkit dispenser which takes ages to build because ???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They mentioned it is linked to build time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

See also: Scanning items that scan fast vs the ones that scan slow. And also how it takes the same time and battery power to build a Multipurpose room, hatch, and fabricator as it does to build a single Medkit dispenser which takes ages to build because ???

Medkit dispensers take ages to build because they always have a medkit ready to go once they're built. It's to prevent you from deconstructing/building them to stock up on a million free medkits quickly.

I prefer the charge fins to the ultraglide fins because if I need to go somewhere fast I use the seaglide and any time a tool gets low I pop it out and replace it with a full one in the charger. Charge fins keep every tool of mine except the Seaglide and Laser Cutter at 100%. Heavy use of the Repulsion gun tossing annoyances away can chew through power and I haven't stun gunned much but hey, that's four tools. Every charger has four slots. Works out.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I carry like 1-2 spare batteries with me, and use them on maybe half my trips out into the deep. I typically fill up on resources long before I get into serious battery trouble, and when I get back to base/Cyclops I just rotate my low batteries for fresh ones. It doesn't take more than a few seconds at the charger station, and it never feels like busy work. Maybe I just utilize my Seamoth way more, relative to my Seaglide? The Seaglide's really not intended for long-distance use; if you're traversing the whole map with it, of course batteries are going to be a pain in the rear end...?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Got my Cyclops and basically obsoleted every resource in the game, I've been thinking of ways to keep everything relevant and more interesting.

- Fix recharger inside Cyclops so it's power is now finite
- Allow Cyclops to recharge by drawing power from base or trickle solar cells
- The seamoth is way more practical for exploration, so gate it's access to the deep via a different method than crush depth. Give it a deeper crush depth and make it's O2 finite and restored via surfacing, cyclops or moonpool. Maybe the exosuit will fill this niche though.
- Trees should grow fruit slower and/or require water. Maybe they need a high power drawing light to function so you'd only plant them in bases where you have spare power.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You forgot having to feed your alien containment fish tank every day or they die, but also not overfeeding them (or they die).

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Section Z posted:

You forgot having to feed your alien containment fish tank every day or they die, but also not overfeeding them (or they die).

Making the aquarium a sim might actually be kind of fun. I would totally babysit a mini reaper.

But alien containment produces food and can only be built in a base, it's exactly what I was looking to do. Bases need to be relevant, so make them be the primary sources to produce food and power. Stick a grow lamp, some fish and some kelp into containment and you have a sustained power->food conversion system.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Got my Cyclops and basically obsoleted every resource in the game, I've been thinking of ways to keep everything relevant and more interesting.

- Fix recharger inside Cyclops so it's power is now finite
- Allow Cyclops to recharge by drawing power from base or trickle solar cells
- The seamoth is way more practical for exploration, so gate it's access to the deep via a different method than crush depth. Give it a deeper crush depth and make it's O2 finite and restored via surfacing, cyclops or moonpool. Maybe the exosuit will fill this niche though.
- Trees should grow fruit slower and/or require water. Maybe they need a high power drawing light to function so you'd only plant them in bases where you have spare power.

The Power Cell Recharger in the Cyclops is likely an unintended oversight (or an intended work-around) since the cyclops has 4 module slots and only 2 (3 counting the pressure upgrade) modules. Seamoth recharging in it seems to be 1-1, even with the power conservation module.
It's likely that it will have the same general gamut of upgrades as the Seamoth and once it gets them they'll probably adjust the power cell thing.

With the addition of the Exosuit and the Cyclops only having one port I envision the Seamoth being something of a base-to-base transport and shallow explorer while the Cyclops will be your deep-sea Exosuit transport and 'HERE THAR BE SEA SATANS' exploration vehicle.

I'm fine the way fruit are currently because while they are an excellent source of food and water, they're not a portable source of it and I'm betting the exosuit is going to have similar storage to the Seamoth, which means you'll need to bring your own stuff. Which means salted fish and big filtered waters for long exploration.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah it's really weird to me having the sea moth dock on the cyclops considering the sea moth has a much shallower crush depth and any time I want to roll around in the cyclops I'm down deeper than I can use it. Do multiple depth-extending modules stack? It's a really cool concept but I can't think of a time I've actually undocked the sea moth since I built the cyclops.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Section Z posted:

Funny thing is, when I was setting up my first Peeper tank, I actually checked the database entries for several fauna and collected seeds for the ones they seemed most likely to eat and planted them in the tank. I assumed that since I could put plants in the tank, the fish needed them for food.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How is the Cyclops supposed to be recharged besides abusing the power cell recharger? Have bases everywhere with power cell rechargers? It's a bit silly.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Met posted:

How is the Cyclops supposed to be recharged besides abusing the power cell recharger? Have bases everywhere with power cell rechargers? It's a bit silly.

Just have a base with a cell charger and stop home occasionally...? Since you can cross the map within a couple minutes, it's not like it's that big of a hassle. If all that work makes you swoon, just create a few micro-bases in various biomes just to house charging stations.

Alternately be a hard-rear end submariner like me and roll with solar chargers on your Seamoth. Cycle your cells as needed and occasionally pop up to the surface for some fun-in-the-sun recharging. I'm still rolling with no cell charger in my Cyclops on principle, and it ain't no thing. I just casually recharge via Seamoth whenever I need a quick break from whatever I'm doing, and I don't think my Cyclops has ever gone below half-power.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Reztes posted:

Yeah it's really weird to me having the sea moth dock on the cyclops considering the sea moth has a much shallower crush depth and any time I want to roll around in the cyclops I'm down deeper than I can use it. Do multiple depth-extending modules stack? It's a really cool concept but I can't think of a time I've actually undocked the sea moth since I built the cyclops.
The Seamoth pressure compensators don't stack, but you can upgrade them in the ... Upgradathingydoo? (The box with the orange top) to Mark 2 and Mark 3. Mark 3 lets it go down to 900m.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Power Cell charger inside the cyclops keeps it topped up forever.
The charger in your base keeps it going without strenuous use.

The only time I have burned through two cells before thinking to recharge them is with heavy fabricator use and recharging the Seamoth from clearing out the crash site to make a few dozen titanium and plasteel ingots (Seamoth charging was from telling the Sea Satans to :frogout: with point defense,) so even if they fixed the Cell charger right now I would have absolutely no worries with powering it. It doesn't consume enough power as it is, especially since you're given it's power saving mod for free.

There's one main reasons to always come back to your base that you can't replicate in the Cyclops: Water Filtration. It wouldn't surprise me if the end game tech level was based around salted food and big filtered waters rather than the fruit and stillsuit combo that makes it pretty easy. I'm finding myself getting more and more annoyed at stillsuit water as I use the space to stock up on resources.

Then again I also have two shallow bases with thermal power plants and 2-4x Water Filters in them so Big Filtered Waters are getting pretty attractive as a main water source.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What modules do you guys use for the seamoth?

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

Can't imagine replacing any of those. It's my explorer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

Solar charger, max depth, defense field, armor. The armor can be easily swapped for something else, but the defense field is really good at dealing with pesky wildlife and also not getting destroyed by Reapers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've only been caught by a reaper once on my seamoth and it brought me to 20% health with armor.

I assume the armor helps against accidentally crashing into walls so I prefer it based on that.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's one main reasons to always come back to your base that you can't replicate in the Cyclops: Water Filtration. It wouldn't surprise me if the end game tech level was based around salted food and big filtered waters rather than the fruit and stillsuit combo that makes it pretty easy. I'm finding myself getting more and more annoyed at stillsuit water as I use the space to stock up on resources.
First they need to make it so the drat water filtration system doesn't use the base's entire power supply to function.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Doesn't it only take 5 solar panels to negate the water filtration's energy use?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Met posted:

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

I have two general builds, pre and post cyclops.

Pre-Cyclops:
-Max Depth (duh)
-Power Efficiency
-Perimeter Defense/Storage
-Sonar

Post-Cyclops:
-Max Depth
-Storage
-Perimeter Defense/Torpedo System (if only torps reliably worked on the super electric eels)
-Sonar

Mostly because once I have the cyclops, I drive the cyclops to a location and then use the seamoth for scuttling far away to maximize my inventory space.

U.T. Raptor posted:

First they need to make it so the drat water filtration system doesn't use the base's entire power supply to function.
Use more generators, preferably thermal generators. Here's a quirk I've noticed with how power works that makes sense but isn't immediately obvious: things don't generate power equally.

Solar Panels and Thermal Generators generate power faster, but have low capacity.
Bioreactors and Nuclear reactors generate power slowly, but have tons of capacity.

Here's the kicker: you can combine types of power to get the benefits of both. So 3x Thermal and a Nuke will get you 650 capacity with a recharge of 300 per minute (according to the wiki.)

Water filters drain power constantly until they're full (or you're out of juice.) Thus you either need an insane capacity with downtime (A single Nuclear Reactor can keep two water filters going but is more suited to a small outpost that you visit occasionally) or generation to match the consumption (one thermal generator can run two water filters if you let it build up to capacity first, or supplement with a Solar Panel.)

My main base is 3x Thermal, 2x Solar and 1x Bioreactor with 4 filters and I'm still waiting for the bioreactor to empty so I can shove more dilapidated non-food-fish into it.
My secondary base is 4x Thermal, 2x Solar and has 6 filters going in it, with no problems (unless I fab a bunch of things but uhhhhhh that's always a problem.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Met posted:

Doesn't it only take 5 solar panels to negate the water filtration's energy use?

A lot of that mindset is based on enough juice until it shuts off before you run out, as opposed to trying to keep the thing running regularly. Like when I see people say "All you need is a couple bioreactors to keep base running, even with water filters". Even though a recharge rate of "One fabricated item per minute" isn't exactly what I would call stable if you are going to be regularly using that power no matter how often the filters turn off before the lights go out.

Granted, by the time you are even able to make a water filter you won't be wanting the resources to keep the thing running regularly anyways. So if you are running out of power after installing a water filter either something has gone very wrong if you did even token preparations.

But the fact remains it's drain is pretty :wtc: Even a single water filter is basically the difference between not having to worry to much about regularly using a full base and fabrication binges at night, with nothing but 1 bio and a half dozen solars. Vs "Oh poo poo, can my grid handle this if I keep it running?"

EDIT: I admit my mindset is "Even if it works, I'm not comfortable watching my power meter struggle to run a single appliance"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My last game I had 8 panels and 2 filtration things in my shallows base and it was enough surplus to also run some pretty heavy fabricating. I think I managed to deplete it once after docking the seamoth with low power and also doing a lot of fab.

That said, seamoth now takes a lot more power to charge, so that's a new consideration.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Yeah I only have 4 solar panels and one bioreactor (always stuffed with farmed rabbit rays) at my main base, and I don't think my power's ever hit zero even with chargers and water purification running simultaneously. Maybe if I was also mass-fabricating scrap, and it was night...? But why would I do that and not just save my power-intensive work for the daytime?

Met posted:

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

I'm currently running with Max Depth, Solar Charger, Sonar, and Self-Defense for the joy of shark-shocking. I'm not entirely sold on the Sonar's usefulness, but I'm giving it a fair shake for now. If I end up not loving it, I'll go back to a storage unit instead.

I don't mess with armor and whatnot. I'm skittish enough that I've only been grabbed by a reaper once, and survived without reinforcement. I'm pretty neurotic about keeping my hull at 100%, and if I'm heading into scary waters I'll take the Cyclops and not stray far from it with the Seamoth.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 22, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I built my base floating off a cliff and I didn't realize it needed structural support. So I put in a moonpool and docked my seamoth into it. Each pod had a bunch of holes in it with no power and the whole base was flooded while the computer kept screaming at me about low power. That was fun, you probably don't want to do it that way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Section Z posted:

EDIT: I admit my mindset is "Even if it works, I'm not comfortable watching my power meter struggle to run a single appliance"

Meanwhile my mindset is 'My power should only be at max when I'm not using it and it should only be near empty when I'm REALLY using it.' It's kinda fun finding a balance like that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I built my base floating off a cliff and I didn't realize it needed structural support. So I put in a moonpool and docked my seamoth into it. Each pod had a bunch of holes in it with no power and the whole base was flooded while the computer kept screaming at me about low power. That was fun, you probably don't want to do it that way.

The cliff thing doesn't matter. The moon pool is a huge hit to structural integrity, but you can add some reinforcement panels or bulkheads somewhere and still solve the problem.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm kinda done until an update but I have a real hankering to make a base somewhere cool. Maybe I'll go try the island.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As long as the Hull Integrity remains above 0, you can build whatever structurally unsound monstrosity you want and super-future technology will triumph over the laws of physics and water pressure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So glad I don't play experimental right now, and if this is a trend to stay I expect I'll be favoring Freedom mode over survival when the next major content updates hit.

http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/checkins

So, you can't even get as much food/water as a single peeper or airsack before triggering blood loss. Yay balance(?)

Guess it was only a matter of time before the Devs started buckling under the weight of stereotypical sandbox gamer demands?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 23, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If they really want to balance the lantern fruit they need to change the growth rate of the fruit. Right now it could give 1 food and 1 water and still be worth it because like 20 fruits grow on it at a time with zero input from you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Medkits are free and plentiful. Lantern Fruits are still what they are now (an infinite, inefficient food/water source,) just moreso.

You want more efficiency, gotta salt some peepers/reggies and bring 'em with you. Or mini-aquarium them.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The atmosphere of this game is so engrossing that, even though I've done everything that can be done in the game, I still want to play it.

I want more flora and fauna, and more ways to customize my base. I'm a little disappointed they're putting so much focus on story instead.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Away all Goats posted:

If they really want to balance the lantern fruit they need to change the growth rate of the fruit. Right now it could give 1 food and 1 water and still be worth it because like 20 fruits grow on it at a time with zero input from you.
The fewer food/water units each fruit gives you, the more likely you are to accidentally bleed out because you ate too many things.

It looks like you can still do decently by planting a Chinese Potato plant and Bulbo tree in your Cyclops, although you'll be wearing down your knife getting the Bublo Tree Samples.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What if, rather than nerfing various foods, they added a mechanic that rewarded a well-rounded diet? Call it "mood," and your mood is affected negatively if you just eat the same thing day in and day out. Maybe it could affect swim speed.

Or go all out and work in a sanity meter a la Eternal Darkness. So if you're just sitting in your no-frills base eating peeper after peeper, you start seeing dead people outside your windows.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

resting bort face posted:

What if, rather than nerfing various foods, they added a mechanic that rewarded a well-rounded diet? Call it "mood," and your mood is affected negatively if you just eat the same thing day in and day out. Maybe it could affect swim speed.

Or go all out and work in a sanity meter a la Eternal Darkness. So if you're just sitting in your no-frills base eating peeper after peeper, you start seeing dead people outside your windows.

While the theory is nice, they would also have to put fruit accessible anywhere but a single island (which you can't see) out in the reefs in the opposite direction of the Auora (which you can see).

Throwing in some multi requirements without access to said requirements, or an indication of where to get them, not so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

While the theory is nice, they would also have to put fruit accessible anywhere but a single island (which you can't see) out in the reefs in the opposite direction of the Auora (which you can see).

Throwing in some multi requirements without access to said requirements, or an indication of where to get them, not so hot.

They could throw in some additional sources of food: loot crates with those nutrient bars, seaweed, etc. Also, eating different fish from different regions could improve your mood or sanity or whatever.